Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersonson

I for one would be very happy with this transfer. I don't care about the fee, he would make us better.

I've seen alot of Tah, Diop and Dias. I really cant understand why anyone would rather want them than Maguire. That must be opinions based on reputations rather than actual quality.

If we were buying Robertson from Hull this forum would complain about it aswell, because he has a boring english name

Treble

With Maguire, Pogba and Lukaku United would have the most expensive PL players in defence, midfield and attack. And also the best paid player in the whole league in Sanchez. It's not like the Glazers don't give money, more like they waste a lot of money.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I for one would be very happy with this transfer. I don't care about the fee, he would make us better.

I've seen alot of Tah, Diop and Dias. I really cant understand why anyone would rather want them than Maguire. That must be opinions based on reputations rather than actual quality.

If we were buying Robertson from Hull this forum would complain about it aswell, because he has a boring english name
Robertson cost Liverpool £7m, so I doubt that.

Just like nobody is complaining about Daniel James cause he was £15m.

In fact most of the Caf has been very onboard with getting talented British players this summer so yeah, nonsense really.

DRM

I don't think you read the thread, because almost every CB in Europe (available or not) is listed in it. I think you looked at the first post, and number of pages, and decided you were too busy to read it so it's a better idea to spend £90m of the first available player.
Yes - I am far too busy. Thanks

Andersonson

Robertson cost Liverpool £7m, so I doubt that.

Just like nobody is complaining about Daniel James cause he was £15m.

In fact most of the Caf has been very onboard with getting talented British players this summer so yeah, nonsense really.
Nobody complained about Daniel James? Read the threads .. Alot of complaining

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Think signing Maguire would spell the end of Smalling, as first choice at least.
The idea would obviously be for Maguire and Lindelof to be first choice, but there would be a fairly decent chance that combo wouldn't work too well and we'd end up with Smalling back in there.

Can we just sell Phil Jones and go with the defenders we already have for damage limitation?

The biggest argument for Maguire for me is that Jones wont be stinking up the place and costing us games at key points of next season.
Jones is better than Bailly and Rojo so not sure why we'd be happy to keep them as part of the rotation if we're getting rid of him. Don't get me wrong, I want all three sold, but Jones has far outperformed the other two for the last two seasons.

RedRover

This is a myth. Diop who we tried to buy hardly had any PL experience, Laporte again never played in PL before, Blind also never played in PL before but settled comfortably. Middle table and lower middle table clubs constantly sign CBs who have no prior PL experience. The important thing is to get the correct talent through scouting and give them proper coaching. We cannot have another season of constantly rotating CBs, we need to make partnerships happen. We are not competing for any titles, next two seasons should all be about building the correct platform.
Maybe they do. How many are regulars a season or two later? You've named three players there - one of whom I'd agree with, the other two arguable. Laporte is a quality player (that's why clubs like City and Barca were regularly linked to him) but it helps slotting into a side that has 70% possession each game when trying to find your feet. Diop looks a decent player from the little I've seen but Blind played his best football for us at the end of his time at the club. He also wasn't always a regular centre-half for a lot of the time. For the three you've named there are loads who didn't work out at all levels - even at big clubs. Mustafi at Arsenal was a dud despite being an international. Rojo looks well out of his depth. Bailly has had his moments but again, I'd question whether he's up to it. Lindelof has improved but for me, the jury is still out. Those are just off the top of my head. Those players may well succeed in Spain, or Italy or elsewhere, even if they don't here.

My point, for clarity wasn't that it's impossible to sign foreign centre-backs who can settle quickly and are good enough. My point is that adapting to the PL is an unknown and in my view, as a centre-back you need the physical attributes to cope, as well as being able to deal with the intensity of the league and the scrutiny you're under - especially at United and especially right now. That's why buying a player like Maguire (in my opinion) is sensible. He's experienced and no doubt keen to step up a level.

He shouldn't take time to settle in and ticks the boxes we need to tick right now. Rather than bringing in a player who'll need time to get used to the PL and may, or may not be good enough to improve us as a defensive unit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Foreign names > English names

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Think signing Maguire would spell the end of Smalling, as first choice at least.
I very much doubt so. Maguire need to be surrounded with rapid players. Smalling is rapid and so is AWB.

A-man

True.

To be fair though, this Sanchez scenario is just down right bizarre. Nobody could have predicted such a dip in form.

Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger performances were a mixture of poor attitude, poor tactics and genuinely past it.
I really thought Sanchez was a 100% safe quick fix, one of the best players in the PL. However we learned there are no safe quick fixes even though Maguire looks like he would take one of the two CB spots automatically.

Irwin99

I very much doubt so. Maguire need to be surrounded with rapid players. Smalling is rapid and so is AWB.
Was very much hoping for a Maguire and Lindelof pairing but I think you might be right. The former means we can play a lot more comfortably from the back , in theory anyway, but Smalling and Maguire is probably a little more balanced.

Robbo76

Hope we are not just setting the price for City to swoop in at the end.

I know there is the height issue with Nathan Ake but i do like him and also Diop from West Ham. Would like to see us get on with it, whatever way and get someone decent in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed 101

Not sure if Smalling has a future with VAR in place he will be giving up penalties left right and centre, we will need to tie his hands behind his back at the start of each game, so see Maquire if we sign him and Lindelof being 1st choice, AWB and Shaw are both speedy, and besides anyone who has seen proper top quality CBs knows that speed is a minor thing, the best CBs read the game and anticipate so the speed issue is negated....

Look at Daley Blind, slow as molasses but he was still our best CB for a season because of his intelligence and pairing with a faster partner, look at him now ripping it up at Ajax with Deligt, mark my words Deligt will suffer for not having Blind as a partner next season.

Andersons Dietician

Not sure if Smalling has a future with VAR in place he will be giving up penalties left right and centre, we will need to tie his hands behind his back
Well I guess we’ll have to do the same with slabhead given he does the same.

One thing you have to give him credit for is he knows he is slow as tugboat so he does often do quite well at dropping off a player even if I guess it weakens the team because he doesn’t want to take the risk of playing the offside trap. He did get roasted by Rashford last season even with a 7 yard head start and Lukaku did the same to him and even outmuscled him so although Shaw and Bissaka are speedy you want those guys pushing forward and not having to worry about covering to slow CB’s.

A-man

Was very much hoping for a Maguire and Lindelof pairing but I think you might be right. The former means we can play a lot more comfortably from the back, in theory anyway, but Smalling and Maguire is probably a little more balanced.
I doubt they'll buy a such an expensive player to facilitate Smailling. I assume they want to build for the future and that means Bailly, Lindelof or maybe Tuanzebe in that position. In reality however, they might end up playing Smalling but I really hope that isn't the plan.
Look at Daley Blind, slow as molasses but he was still our best CB for a season because of his intelligence and pairing with a faster partner, look at him now ripping it up at Ajax with Deligt, mark my words Deligt will suffer for not having Blind as a partner next season.
In my opinion, Blind was not good enough in the PL. That doesn't mean he is not good enough in international matches. We have seen other players, like Lindelof, perform better international football than PL football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

That classic "english" name robertson :wenger::lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
With Maguire, Pogba and Lukaku United would have the most expensive PL players in defence, midfield and attack. And also the best paid player in the whole league in Sanchez. It's not like the Glazers don't give money, more like they waste a lot of money.
You're right in a way, but obviously missing the actual complaint with the glazers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was very much hoping for a Maguire and Lindelof pairing but I think you might be right. The former means we can play a lot more comfortably from the back , in theory anyway, but Smalling and Maguire is probably a little more balanced.
I can see maguire lindelof working if we're playing teams who have very little ambition, play a slowish targetman and who park the defence.

Then having two ball players would be ideal

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not sure if Smalling has a future with VAR in place he will be giving up penalties left right and centre, we will need to tie his hands behind his back at the start of each game, so see Maquire if we sign him and Lindelof being 1st choice, AWB and Shaw are both speedy, and besides anyone who has seen proper top quality CBs knows that speed is a minor thing, the best CBs read the game and anticipate so the speed issue is negated....

Yeah this is just bollox that is uttered by some internet bellend and repeated by simpletons. He has played VAR already and not conceded anything; why would it suddenly become this massive issue? Load of old bollox! I’m all for people having opinions on players but this nonsense..

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Agree on Smalling, I don't think people realise how dangerous he will be against us with VAR in place from now on.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah this is just bollox that is uttered by some internet bellend and repeated by simpletons. He has played VAR already and not conceded anything; why would it suddenly become this massive issue? Load of old bollox! I’m all for people having opinions on players but this nonsense..
Agree on Smalling, I don't think people realise how dangerous he will be against us with VAR in place from now on.
[conflicting data]

Robert

I've noticed this. The echo chamber is very real.

Zed 101

Because you are staff does it give you the right to call me a bellend and/or a simpleton for having an opinion???? if so it is a poor show surely staff should try to set an example with their posts, unless you were trying to demonstrate what not to do.... V disappointed!!

And on what evidence is it nonsense? how many games has Smalling played under VAR? i respect your right to disagree but you are just spouting an baseless opinion, no more or less than I am.

Lynty

I think arguing about VAR is a null point.

Smalling is below standard for a United centre back. Period.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Because you are staff does it give you the right to call me a bellend and/or a simpleton for having an opinion???? if so it is a poor show surely staff should try to set an example with their posts, unless you were trying to demonstrate what not to do.... V disappointed!!

And on what evidence is it nonsense? how many games has Smalling played under VAR? i respect your right to disagree but you are just spouting an baseless opinion, no more or less than I am.
Someone already disproved it with stats, I think in the smalling thread.

I didn’t call you a bellend specifically

Andersons Dietician

There have been countless posts on this claim you’ve made and every time it’s been shot down with stats and the likes. It such nonsense and some urban myth that has been invented and then repeated by “what blunder said”

Zed 101

Someone already disproved it with stats, I think in the smalling thread.

I didn’t call you a bellend specifically
You called me e bellend implicitly, and a simpleton specifically!

Thanks for the apology!

I have not read the Smalling thread (maybe remiss of me) this was my opinion formed from watching Smalling over the last few seasons nothing more nothing less, regardless I still think you shout conduct yourself with more decorum as staff.

Zed 101

There have been countless posts on this claim you’ve made and every time it’s been shot down with stats and the likes. It such nonsense and some urban myth that has been invented and then repeated by “what blunder said”
Well i guess we will see next season won't we under VAR, shot down with stats.... from when he hasn't been playing under VAR? noice, and we all know how vitally useful stats are for anything outside of FM.

I may be wrong, hope so, just my opinion and it will only be proven or disproved next season, so until then the point is kind of moot!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Stats were showing smalling was better in the air than maguire the other day though..in fairness

Walters_19_MuFc

End of the day, Maguire is an England international (first choice), had a fantastic world cup, is very good on the ball, is a leader, great in the air (both attacking and defending set peices) and has only turned 26. No brainer for me!

If you take all of those into account, of course Leicester will want a lot of money for him.

Think we'll go all out for him, and if rumours are to be believed, 80M will be accepted.

I'd be very happy with a back four of Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof and Wan-Bissaka.

Last edited:

nikineil

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw

Our best back five since Ferguson.
Agreed. If anything, defensively solid, which is a great start. We have been leaking goals last season. Now we can start playing out from the back and have de gea distribute the ball better and we will go somewhere.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
But it's those spoiled fans to blame, though. How illogical that sounds, but some have this view.

Status
Not open for further replies.