Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

madzo2007

£80M is a ridiculous fee for a defender. We should able to buy the entire defence for that.
Were you saying the same when we bought Ferdinand for nearly £30m in 2002. People even had their doubts about him back then too.

English, PL proven, decent age you are always going to have to pay that bit more.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
As with all transfers, the price will only matter if Harry is shit. If he comes in and has a great season, it will be an irrelevance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There's so much money in the game now, the lesser sides don't need the money like they used to. Quality players are in demand and fetch ridiculous sums.
Exactly, the premier league is so rich now even mid table teams can reject crazy bids. If we want targets we have to pay over the top.

Ekeke

Were you saying the same when we bought Ferdinand for nearly £30m in 2002. People even had their doubts about him back then too.

English, PL proven, decent age you are always going to have to pay that bit more.
Who had their doubts?

It was just about the fee which was a lot at the time. I think £80 million today is still more in comparison to £30 million for Rio back then

Reddevil1978

Does Maguire improve our defence - Yes.
Did I pay 60m plus 20m add ons - No.
I'm I happy bear hug Smalling will be benched - Yes.
Am I a miserable glass half empty kinda guy - No.
I'm I happy for Maguire hopefully signing - Yes.
If City had signed him would Redcafe whinge - Yes.
If United sign him will Redcafe whinge - Yes.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

Robert

Who had their doubts?

It was just about the fee which was a lot at the time. I think £80 million today is still more in comparison to £30 million for Rio back then
I remember people had their doubts with Rio. Obviously was a brilliant talent but reservations over his attitude for the highest levels.

Ekeke

I remember people had their doubts with Rio. Obviously was a brilliant talent but reservations over his attitude for the highest levels.
I remember someone posted a thread from here at the time. People were questioning the fee not the player

Alemar

OK, but why £80 million? That's absurd.
Perhaps because we are unable to negotiate a lower fee. At this point in time, we need a defender who is immediately and significantly better than what we have - hence the price.

R'hllor

I love it, throwing all these names of legends just to justify it and make sense of buying a brick.

buckooo1978

it doesn't say much for our scouting network that after a worldwide search for a Central defender has resulted in a huge deal for Harry Maguire

Tel074

I remember someone posted a thread from here at the time. People were questioning the fee not the player
That's just not true . Ferdinand had alot to prove when he came to United and for that huge fee at the time . He had some rocky moments in a Leeds shirt . Both the fee and him as a player where questioned ..

StrettyEnder07

I absolutely love this forum, jesus we could go out and buy De Ligt and Koulibaly and this forum would go find a reason to go into meltdown.

Massively improves us, offers us a goal threat from set plays, brings the ball out of defence, gets his head on everything, commanding, vocal, buzzing, him and Lindelof happy days, hopefully with Tuanzebe as back up with Bailly and we can finally bin off the chuckle brothers, 80m, who gives a shit, better than lining the Glazers pockets.

Stop whinging and be happy that we could finally have a half decent back 4 for the first time since Fergie left.

Judas

Open to offers
Prem proven, can instantly improve us, good age, and unlikely to want to move on in a year or two. This deal makes sense and I don't get why so many are confused.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
it doesn't say much for our scouting network that after a worldwide search for a Central defender has resulted in a huge deal for Harry Maguire
Probably also a psychological reason. Bet on a conservative decision. It´s not only about hard facts.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
There are certainly two camps ... people saying longstaff after 9 prem games is stupid... would also complain if he had a great season and we paid 75m
Oh don't get me wrong, their has to be a structure in terms of prices paid relative to experience and PL exposure.

Longstaff at the quoted price would be ridiculous. Longstaff at a more modest 20 to 30m would probably be welcomed, because if it fails it's not touching record fees.

The players are definitely out there, but clearly there is someone at the club who doesn't like this model but as noted earlier thankfully we have James in who may fulfil that criteria.

Seal Maguire and a midfielder and it's relatively productive, although clearly just the start of a massive structural rebuild, along with Wan Bissaka who is somewhere in-between prospect and kind of has to deliver.

stepic

it's weird that people would prefer to have money in a bank rather than improve our defence. it's clear now that it's either Maguire or no one. i'll take the guy that improves us, thanks.

Grande

Are all these last pages based on a story/fib written in The S*n by one of their less credible fibbers/writers, and that most journalist say isn’t true? Or have I missed something (not unlikely)?

IAN HEALY

Whilst i dont mind the addition of Maguire, and it shows we will spend money which is good, the problem is that this is now the the guy we will be building the defense around, and no defender will be bought for the next few years as we would have invested so heavily in one player. that being the case, should we not be aiming for a higher caliber player around which to base the defense ?

Ekeke

Perhaps because we are unable to negotiate a lower fee. At this point in time, we need a defender who is immediately and significantly better than what we have - hence the price.
There's plenty of players who fit that description. Defensively its arguable he doesnt fit it himself

The Red Thinker

Does Maguire improve our defence - Yes.
Did I pay 60m plus 20m add ons - No.
I'm I happy bear hug Smalling will be benched - Yes.
Am I a miserable glass half empty kinda guy - No.
I'm I happy for Maguire hopefully signing - Yes.
If City had signed him would Redcafe whinge - Yes.
If United sign him will Redcafe whinge - Yes.
Is that you Chris D’Elia?

MUFC OK

‘I remember people doubted Rio’ is the worst argument for signing Maguire. Is that what it has come down to? Well I doubted Phil Jones, who is far more similar in play style. At 26 I don’t see Maguire ever becoming world class.

Maguire improves us but as I’ve said before, it’s like paying Hugo Boss prices for a Next suit, simply because it’s better than the suit you currently have.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Ferdinand was a world class talent, it was obvious even when he was 18 years old, he was the De Ligt of 90’s English football.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Out in Thailand and my phone is locked so very limited access to Internet. Can someone please update me on Maguire? Have we actually bid 80m?

Pronewbie

Peep
I suppose he makes sense since we intend to play counter attacking football and defend deep ala Vidic and Rio late in their career. This helps to mask his main weakness - his lack of pace and hence professional fouls when he's caught out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Out in Thailand and my phone is locked so very limited access to Internet. Can someone please update me on Maguire? Have we actually bid 80m?
Only Sun have reported it and xisimon who is "ITK" confirmed signing is done. Telegraph and BBC reported no bids are made.

Seven Seas Sardines

I suppose he makes sense since we intend to play counter attacking football and defend deep ala Vidic and Rio late in their career. This helps to mask his main weakness - his lack of pace and hence professional fouls when he's caught out.
More than anything it makes sense having aerial presence when our high press forces opposition to hoof it to their no.9

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nope. Nonsense sources saying fee agreed. Reliable sources saying nothing has happened.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just think of it this way, whatever the fee is, that sum of money won't be taken out of the club by the Glazers..!

arthurka

I think he would become a great Utd defender.
Utd have paid high prices for quality before.

DickDastardly

I'm down with Harry.

Local lad, want's to stay on top of his English career so he'll probably be on top of things.

No language barriers, he's big, strong fella, knows the league, knows the opposition well, bossed some of them, including us a couple of times.

The money i don't give a shit. Who gives a feck, not my money. Just perform and he'll make us happy.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm down with Harry.

Local lad, want's to stay on top of his English career so he'll probably be on top of things.

No language barriers, he's big, strong fella, knows the league, knows the opposition well, bossed some of them, including us a couple of times.

The money i don't give a shit. Who gives a feck, not my money. Just perform and he'll make us happy.
Completely agree with you.
He is big and strong and will give us a commanding presence in defence.
Of course the money is mad. But in reality who cares as long as he improves us.

Status
Not open for further replies.