Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is he actually one of the best in the league though? I think it says more about the quality of CBs in the PL more than it does about Maguire, not saying he's not a good player mind. I will say that our back line with Wan-Bissaka and Maguire in it does suddenly look a lot healthier, on paper at least. We might finally stop hemorrhaging chances.
I'n saying probably because it's all subjective, really. I do think he's top 10, possibly pushing top five, but a lot of that is due to the fact that only VVD and Laporte are top class and only Toby and Vertonghen are close to top-class. So in that respect he's probably the best CB we could get from the PL right now, which isn't a bad thing.

AWB has more potential than Maguire because he's shown glimpses that he can become a great player. I'm not sure what's so complex about that.
Plus, Maguire is currently probably as good he's ever going to be right now. I'd be surprised if he showed any drastic improvement. Wan-Bissaka is already very good with a lot of room to grow, it's natural that the more experience he gains the better he'll be.

Axle17

..............................De Gea (28)...........................
AWB (21).....Lindelof (24)...Maguire (26)....Shaw (24)

If we can sign Maguire, that back 5 looks a whole lot better, and the unit should develop together for a good few years.
Big credit to Ole.
Absolutely, then have Bailly & Smalling rotating through there. Big plus indeed.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
I think he's the best english CB right now. The price is high but in this market it doesn't surprise me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If only the board backed Mourinho last summer and brought him in then.

He would have given us a 6-9 point swing for sure. He stops goals, he's reliable, he barely gets injured, he scores goals.

I don't care about fees, having AWB and Maguire in our line up for 50 games next season will dramatically improve our team.
I'd take a poor year to get rid of that egotistical maniac TBH. We've now got a respectful manager who wants who's best for the club, not himself.

stepic

AWB has more potential than Maguire because he's shown glimpses that he can become a great player. I'm not sure what's so complex about that.
and Maquire hasn't shown these glimpses at all? despite being a potentially top 5 CB in the league? rubbish.

Reincarnated

Is this happening today? Would love to tick this one off and concentrate fully on 2 × CMs.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
And also 80M for Maguire is understandable but if there's any truth on the reports that Leicester will splash 40M on effin Lewis Dunk that's absolutely bonkers.

Irrational.

Our scouting team need to be fired if Maguire is the best they can come up with for £80 million.

Having said that, he'll improve our back line. We'll be a better team with him than without, and I can also see him contributing to a lot of goals from set pieces - which has been a glaring weakness of ours over the past few years. We've had zero to little presence in either box, and Slabhead brings that in abundance. We just need Bruno now to provide the set pieces instead of one trick ponies Ashley 'curl it without beating the first man' Young and Marcus 'thundercnut it' Rashford.

Infestissumam

Genuine question is he better than Lucas Hernandez? Bayern paid 72 for him.
Hernandez is younger, but he's injury-prone and really hasn't played a lot (last 4 La Liga seasons: 10, 15, 27 and 14 games). Also not sure if he's a proper CB or better as LB.

Personally I don't really rate Hernandez all that much and have no idea why Bayern splash so much money on him. Like I said, he's still young ... but to me, there's absolutely no question that Maguire is better right now.

Wal2Fra

People will be singing his song at Old Trafford 15 years from now. Bound to become a cult hero here, at the very least.
Ole said yes, caf said no
After an own goal, he had to go
80 mill down the drain
Back in comes Chris Smalling

Gasolin

Ole said yes, caf said no
After an own goal, he had to go
80 mill down the drain
Back in comes Chris Smalling
:lol::lol::lol:

Well it's funny but I do hope he's a success, we need some luck on the transfer market now.

buckooo1978

relatively speaking Maguire is one of the best in PL - I suppose our need and that fact reflects in the fee

part of the issue is the lack of top quality defenders in World football perhaps

when you consider the best English central defender is probably Maguire, Argentinian Otamendi, Italy maybe an aging Chiellini? the talent pool is certainly more shallow than in recent generations

Canagel

..............................De Gea (28)...........................
AWB (21).....Lindelof (24)...Maguire (26)....Shaw (24)

If we can sign Maguire, that back 5 looks a whole lot better, and the unit should develop together for a good few years.
Big credit to Ole.
We still need a LB but it looks like the club have other priorities right now.

poleglass red

is the deal 60 million with 20 mill in add ons, I read that somewhere. In this market that's actually not bad. Will he improve, that is the question, because VVD wasn't the defender he is now at Celtic or Soton. He like Maguire stood out but his game had holes in it, any Celtic fan will tell you that. Can we improve him if/when he comes. hope so.

Hammondo

Vidic was just as slow as Maguire is. And being slow was/is the major weakness of both players. With Vidic we covered for his lack of pace by having two very fast players (Evra and Ferdinand) playing on either side of him. As long as United are aware that Maguire is slow and don't leave him exposed against a quicker attacker every game I'm sure he will play well for us, just as he has for his previous clubs and for England.
Vidic read the game well and had great positioning, and even with this he got caught out at times. I think Maguire is also slower then Vidic.

Langers7274

Our scouting team need to be fired if Maguire is the best they can come up with for £80 million.

Having said that, he'll improve our back line. We'll be a better team with him than without, and I can also see him contributing to a lot of goals from set pieces - which has been a glaring weakness of ours over the past few years. We've had zero to little presence in either box, and Slabhead brings that in abundance. We just need Bruno now to provide the set pieces instead of one trick ponies Ashley 'curl it without beating the first man' Young and Marcus 'thundercnut it' Rashford.

I'm sure there were other targets but how many of those were attainable with no CL football? Koulibaly, Varane, no way! De Ligt didn't want UTD, Dias maybe but unproven, who else is there that wouldn't make an instant impression? However, like you say, Maguire is a step up on what we've got. He's better than all of our CB options, proven at PL and on international stage, trust ,me I don't think he's worth £80m but with him and AWB, and De Gea cutting out mistakes that must be worth at least an extra 15pts this season so I'd take him for that price!

Langers7274

Vidic read the game well and had great positioning, and even with this he got caught out at times. I think Maguire is also slower then Vidic.

Gabriel Heinze was slow but a great LB because of his tactical awareness, strength and positioning, providing Maguire (if he signs) has the proper cover think he'd be a great signing. Vidic had Evra and Ferdinand next to him so a bit of pace

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
and Maquire hasn't shown these glimpses at all? despite being a potentially top 5 CB in the league? rubbish.
Maguire is 26 years old. AWB is 21. If you can't see the difference in "potential" when it comes to age and footballers then you should probably look it up.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Hernandez is younger, but he's injury-prone and really hasn't played a lot (last 4 La Liga seasons: 10, 15, 27 and 14 games). Also not sure if he's a proper CB or better as LB.

Personally I don't really rate Hernandez all that much and have no idea why Bayern splash so much money on him. Like I said, he's still young ... but to me, there's absolutely no question that Maguire is better right now.
Thanks! good to read.

shabz

CB's usually come into their prime around 28, the market is crazy but next to Lindelof he is better than anyone we've got. Worlds gone mad but if he makes us better the price shouldn't matter.

Sylar

Not only that, but we really should have signed him when he was at Hull. It seemed like an obvious one at the time.

Also funny that Ed didnt wanna get him last season for about 30m cheaper cos he wasnt any better than what we have, but will not potentially break a record to get him a year later (without his price being boosted by any tournaments).

Irrational.

Not only that, but we really should have signed him when he was at Hull. It seemed like an obvious one at the time.

Also funny that Ed didnt wanna get him last season for about 30m cheaper cos he wasnt any better than what we have, but will not potentially break a record to get him a year later (without his price being boosted by any tournaments).
Agreed, it makes us come across as reactive and not proactive.

It was the same situation when we signed Fellaini - we waited for his release clause to expire before we desperately made a bid later on and paid over the odds. :lol:

I don't understand our reluctance to hire a DoF, we'd become so much more efficient transfers wise. The way we do things at present appears to be so unstructured and chaotic.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Ffs guys this ain’t happening, no real sign anywhere
I genuinely don’t get people who think like this. There’s always a few during every transfer. We are signing Maguire it’s so completely obvious.

Langers7274

It was the same situation when we signed Fellaini - we waited for his release clause to expire before we desperately made a bid later on and paid over the odds. :lol:

I don't understand our reluctance to hire a DoF, we'd become so much more efficient transfers wise. The way we do things at present appears to be so unstructured and chaotic.

100% spot on!! Ed isn't a football man and you can't help but think that if UTD paid the top money for one of the best DoF in the business, our transfer strategy, deals would be so much better. You only have to look at the way City are operating to realise their business model is better than ours

Hammondo

I genuinely don’t get people who think like this. There’s always a few during every transfer. We are signing Maguire it’s so completely obvious.
Yep, its not like we have heard this type of thing before with other players in the past.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He could be walking around Carrington in a United kit and people would still doubt it's happening.

ravi2

I think this one is done as well. I wish we were in the market for a RW but you cant have everything I suppose

RedNed77

We still need a LB but it looks like the club have other priorities right now.
There would be absolutely no point in trying to upgrade Shaw. He's perfectly fine as a LB and the money you'd have to spend to get an improvement would not be worth the level of investment when we have other areas to sort, unless you have some cheap suggestions that would represent an actual upgrade? Dalot, Young, Laird and Darmian (whilst he's still here) can all cover left back. Left back, for me, is a loooong way back in terms of positions that need upgrading.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maguire's deal will end Smalling's career as a first teamer

I very much doubt it. Maguire, Lindelof and Matic trio might be physically imposing and comfortable to the ball but its also very very slow. AWB and Shaw would surely help out but any intelligent striker with pace can avoid those two and exploit the lack of pace in the middle of the pitch. Hence I believe that if Maguire does sign with us then Smalling will play a central role in our defence.

Why didn't we sign Maguire in 2017?

In my opinion people who make this comment are underestimating the level of progression Maguire had at Leicester. If you have a look at the stats, Hull had the worst EPL defence in 2016-2017 leaking a staggering 80 goals in a season. Maguire moved to Leicester the year after and was part of the 5th worst defence in the EPL. Its only this year that the situation had improved and Leicester's defence had leaked just 48 goals which puts them ahead of us and Arsenal. I am not completely sold about the guy but one presumes that the Maguire we will buying is certainly way better then the one who signed with Leicester.

Status
Not open for further replies.