Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Tah and Konaté are both better defenders and cheaper.

Redcy

The caf never changes does it:

"Can't we find better for £x"

Caf: Like who?

a) I don't know I am not a scout
b) Silence
c) The player who rejected us despite us offering bags of cash

Redcy

Tah and Konaté are both better defenders and cheaper.
Hmmm debatable they would be much cheaper given the prices other players have left for in Germany. I would guess Konate would be at least £60m-70m and he would be a risk of coming here and being overwhelmed next season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

b) Silence
Yeah and also for some odd reason other fans are butthurt about this deal.

padzilla

Hipster
I don't mind us signing Maguire at all, he's an immediate upgrade on Jones and Smalling for a start. However, the fee seems ludicrous we are not talking about a Van Dijk/ Rio type leader at the back with fantastic all round play. I feel we are essentially signing a stopper not unlike what Phil Jones is supposed to be. If we invest such a significant sum on Maguire does it mean we won't have money to invest in midfield which is already down Herrera and Fellaini from last season and an attack that is so tepid that Lingard plays most weeks. Wouldn't spending half the Maguire money on someone like Lewis Dunk or Shane Duffy make more sense?

minh_loc_xoay

Don't think so, They're both the same sort of player. Maguire is aggressive and likes to attack the loose ball, so does Smalling.

They need a covering foil who can mop up after them, I think Lindelof is better in that regard.

Against teams like who like long ball then they'll be a great pair, but the more continental teams or people who sit deep then Lindelof/Tuanzebe will be preferred purely for their better football ability.
Reading conflicted opinions, why do I get the feeling that Maguire is like a hybrid of Smalling & Lindelof? :rolleyes:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Reading conflicted opinions, why do I get the feeling that Maguire is like a hybrid of Smalling & Lindelof? :rolleyes:
He sort of is?

He's an aggressive ball winner but very good at positioning and reading the game. I have no doubts he could play the sweeper style also, but right now with Evans he is the aggressor while Evans is the Lindelof. I personally think that's why we are trying to get him, to be on the front foot and aggressive but better on the ball than Smalling.

Hammondo

Sane is among the fastest players in Europe and Maguire does well against him whilst the German is in full flow. I guess you were against the signing of De Ligt who is also slow?
Maguire has the shorter distance to run, running with the ball is harder, Maguire was also already at full speed.

Withnail

I don't mind us signing Maguire at all, he's an immediate upgrade on Jones and Smalling for a start. However, the fee seems ludicrous we are not talking about a Van Dijk/ Rio type leader at the back with fantastic all round play. I feel we are essentially signing a stopper not unlike what Phil Jones is supposed to be. If we invest such a significant sum on Maguire does it mean we won't have money to invest in midfield which is already down Herrera and Fellaini from last season and an attack that is so tepid that Lingard plays most weeks. Wouldn't spending half the Maguire money on someone like Lewis Dunk or Shane Duffy make more sense?
Neither of them are better than what we have so we'd just have another mediocre CB to add to the list.

Maguire is definitely an upgrade on what we currently have.

Redcy

The caf would lose its mind if we paid £45m for Dunk holy shit

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Maguire has the shorter distance to run, running with the ball is harder, Maguire was also already at full speed.
Sure, but nobody presumably thinks Maguire would beat most attackers in Europe in a sprinting contest. He's clearly slow, relatively speaking.

But a slow defender isn't a liability unless he constantly finds himself in situations where he has to rely on sheer speed. All players have weaknesses, it's a question of a) the player himself compensating for his weaknesses and b) the manager setting up in a way which won't expose those weaknesses frequently.

cyberman

Sure, but nobody presumably thinks Maguire would beat most attackers in Europe in a sprinting contest. He's clearly slow, relatively speaking.

But a slow defender isn't a liability unless he constantly finds himself in situations where he has to rely on sheer speed. All players have weaknesses, it's a question of a) the player himself compensating for his weaknesses and b) the manager setting up in a way which won't expose those weaknesses frequently.
Is he slow or is he simply not rapid? Maybe a few posters think if someone isn't fast then they lack pace as if there isn't an inbetween

Ekeke

Don't think so, They're both the same sort of player. Maguire is aggressive and likes to attack the loose ball, so does Smalling.

They need a covering foil who can mop up after them, I think Lindelof is better in that regard.

Against teams like who like long ball then they'll be a great pair, but the more continental teams or people who sit deep then Lindelof/Tuanzebe will be preferred purely for their better football ability.
They're not very similar. Maguire is better attacking than defending, Smalling is better defending than attacking. Maguire is slow, Smalling is fast

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I like Maguire, he's a good player, a definite upgrade on what we have and the right sort of age. The fee is indicative of the fact that we have allowed ourselves to negotiate from a position of weakness, i.e. in other words, we are desperate!

Can I also add that when people criticise signings like Dan James and then moan that we don't spot players like Maguire earlier.....well you can't have your cake and eat it can you. I would love us to start taking more gambles on up and coming young players from the Championship. The reality is under SAF we didn't have to do that, we could wait until the likes of Ferdinand and Carrick proved themselves at middle tier clubs before swooping. Now that is incredibly expensive to do
Agreed.

b) Silence
I think there's nothing wrong with being more than a little apprehensive that we're looking to part with £80 million to sign a good solid defender. However that's where the market is and that's where United are in 2019 unfortunately, and increasingly the objections to this deal are looking like negativity for the sake of it when everybody knows the situation is far from perfect.

tomaldinho1

I'm genuinely confused why Ole is so keen on him.

I don't think it's unreasonable that people on here are disappointed with our club's strategy if our grand plan for signing a CB is overpaying by bucket-loads for a defender who I think everyone unanimously agrees isn't top tier.

Reincarnated

Interesting reading the media reports. This one is playing out just like Wan-Bissaka stories.

I wonder if United are pressuring Leicester by getting the stories out that a deal has been reached for Maguire. Similarly I believe they tried pressuring Palace.

Then stories come out that the deal won't happen as we are reluctant to match the asking price and that the stories of agreement is not accurate.

Then a story out today that it is a blow for United as City are still a chance to sign Maguire. I think this one is from Leicester putting pressure back on United.

Judas

Open to offers

I don't think it's unreasonable that people on here are disappointed with our club's strategy if our grand plan for signing a CB is overpaying by bucket-loads for a defender who I think everyone unanimously agrees isn't top tier.
He might not be "top tier", but no "top tier" defender is signing for us. He's comfortably one of the best in the league, and will improve us instantly.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is he slow or is he simply not rapid? Maybe a few posters think if someone isn't fast then they lack pace as if there isn't an inbetween
I'd say he's at least slow-ish. He's got that oil tanker thing going on.

De Ligt was mentioned above - he's one I'd call not rapid (rather than actually slow). Maguire looks slower than that to me.

Redcy

Again give us a top tier defender who would even consider joining us, if you are saying can we get a player similar to Maguire from elsewhere in the world, at a lower price I would give you some lea way. However the problem United have is that buying a 20yo prospect from Bundesliga or Ligue 1 is a risk. Maguire is a much safer bet, he may not be great value, but he constitutes a known value/expectation who won't exposed in the PL.

foolsgold

He's expensive, but as safe an option as they come. Could be a win / win if we can ship someone off there (Jones ??) as part of the deal, although there's a risk that Brendan Rodgers would somehow contrive to make him injury free and look world class.......

Redcy

He's expensive, but as safe an option as they come. Could be a win / win if we can ship someone off there (Jones ??) as part of the deal, although there's a risk that Brendan Rodgers would somehow contrive to make him injury free and look world class.......
Where's the white text?

Fosu-Mens

Not as bad as signing Fredge for £50m... So could be worse. Then again, we could have signed Schar for a fraction of the price.
And there are a number of players in Serie A, Ligue 1, etc that would suit a high pressing team better than Maguire who got the mobility of a tombstone.

Still not as bad as Fred, so there is that. I hope.

Lynty

The fee is a necessary evil. Let's just pay it and move on, never speak about how much he cost again.

deleon

Agreed, if he makes us better then who cares about the fee?
I agree that he'd improve us, but I also get why people are concerned about the fee.

I am 99% sure he's better than any of our current centre backs, but I am only, say, 60% certain that he's good enough to help us finish top four (as a minimum). I use 60% as an example; this thread has shown that even people who admit he's better than what we have cannot agree on how good he is.

I'm not saying that for a record fee we should be getting a world-class player - the market is the market. But if we do spend that much money, we would not be looking to improve on the position for the next five years (unless he turns out to be terrible).

We should be looking to challenge for the league in the next two or three years. It's really difficult so say whether Maguire is good enough for that. So I am not concerned whether the fee itself is justifiable, but rather that it might be short-termist to spend the big money on someone because he is the best "available" this summer.

The alternative would not be neglecting the position, but getting someone of Alderweireld's age and profile, and use the next two or so years to attract someone more suitable to our long term goals.

That said, I'd still be happy if Maguire joins us, and hope that he does become the leading defender we need.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Not as bad as signing Fredge for £50m... So could be worse. Then again, we could have signed Schar for a fraction of the price.
And there are a number of players in Serie A, Ligue 1, etc that would suit a high pressing team better than Maguire who got the mobility of a tombstone.

Still not as bad as Fred, so there is that. I hope.
:lol:

That's a fair point, but could it also be argued that those attainable, cheaper CBs from Italy and France could be chewed up and spat out in the PL/struggle to adjust to England etc.? At least we don't have those worries about Maguire, whatever else justifiably worries you about The Slab.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
He's better than what we got and it doesn't seem like anyone better is available to us right now, seems like a logical transfer. If we don't buy an improvement in an area that we badly need it the club isn't investing enough, if we buy someone who isn't the best in the world or a Football Manager wonderkid then we're all better scouts than actual scouts apparently.

If weve got a choice between over paying but improving at CB or keeping the money and watching the chuckle brothers at the back for another year, then this deal is absolutely the right choice.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The history of players making breakthroughs show that this is a ridiculous statement.He's not even 24 yet.
It's hardly ridiculous to suggest Tuanzebe is not going to make it as a United player. We're talking about a guy who lingered in the reserves for a number of years, before being loaned out to a Championship club where his performances were less than impressive.

He has been unable to displace distinctly average CB's such as Jones, Smalling, Rojo, etc. What makes you think he will suddenly prove himself to be a United standard player?

Hazzer

Am genuinely confused with what fans were/ are expecting from this Transfer Window. Due to the clubs rapid decline and lack of Champions League football next year we no longer have the pulling power to sign the top, top players. Hence having to shop in the next tier down.

Add to this that its seemingly a sellers market and everyone knows the richest club in the world must spend money and the prices charged are massively inflated.

Re Maguire, I would like to hear some alternative solutions from those that are opposed to this signing that fill the below criteria;
  • Ball Playing CB
  • Proven at top level (Premier League and International)
  • Leadership Qualities
  • Professional approach
Personally, yes I would prefer DeLight, Varane, VVD etc. However these are not realistic. I am happy with Maguire, we can be confident his signing immediately improves our defence and any signing that imrpoves us is a good one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They're not very similar. Maguire is better attacking than defending, Smalling is better defending than attacking. Maguire is slow, Smalling is fast
You underrate him massively, Maguire is a good defender.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:lol:

That's a fair point, but could it also be argued that those attainable, cheaper CBs from Italy and France could be chewed up and spat out in the PL/struggle to adjust to England etc.?
I'd say there are just as many who've come from the smaller PL teams who've failed too, though. For every Laporte there's an Otamendi . For every VVD there's a John Stones! Lovren looked really good for Southampton but he's always been a bit shit for Pool.

We do have a shite record lately with buying CB's from abroad though so I can see why the club are veering towards a "PL Proven" one in Maguire.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He might not be "top tier", but no "top tier" defender is signing for us. He's comfortably one of the best in the league, and will improve us instantly.
Is he? what constitutes as being one of the best? Top 10? Because you could easily argue that there are 10 CBS in the league that are better then him...

VVD
Gomez
Laporte
Otamendi
Rudiger
Verthongen
Alderwiereld
Sanchez
Linedlof (arguable)
Matip (arguable)
Luiz (arguable)
Stones (arguable)

You'd probably find people who would also argue that people like Boly, Diop, Will Keane, Sakho etc. are just as good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don’t even not want him. Be glad to have him as part of a stronger defensive setup. I just expected a Koulibaly or De Ligt for that price or not much more. It’d be great to have him, a worldie, Lindelof and Smalling to choose from, but we won’t. Even if we wait til next season to buy a better cb as well, there will be even less choice unless De Ligt doesn’t move this time.
Frustrating yet again.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Is he? what constitutes as being one of the best? Top 10? Because you could easily argue that there are 10 CBS in the league that are better then him...

VVD
Gomez
Laporte
Otamendi
Rudiger

Verthongen
Alderwiereld
Sanchez
Linedlof (arguable)
Matip (arguable)
Luiz (arguable)
Stones (arguable)

You'd probably find people who would also argue that people like Boly, Diop, Will Keane, Sakho etc. are just as good.
I think the bolded ones are a stretch! And I don't think any of the "arguable" ones are actually arguable. He's comfortably top 10 for me but probably not top 5, however I do think he's the best outside of the top four which basically makes him the best attainable one (apart from Toby, god knows why we're not going for him).

I agree on Diop, though, I'd much rather take a punt on him at £40-50m than Maguire.

Withnail

VVD
Gomez
Laporte
Otamendi
Rudiger
Verthongen
Alderwiereld
Sanchez
Linedlof (arguable)
Matip (arguable)
Luiz (arguable)
Stones (arguable)

We can probably find people who'll argue any number of things so you'll find no argument there.

There's good twitter thread here, which I believe was posted before, which concludes he's top 10 possible top 6-7 based on available stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.