Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

predator

Youth NITK
I reckon his first choice by a country mile is city due to them being the most equipped team in england but also due to Stones and Walker who like Maguire are from Sheffield.

I think we are offering the most money to Leicester and to himself hence the recent stories.

Shimo

1.2 goals concedes in the league since Solskjaer came in, that should come out to 45 goals per season. Still not good enough, but we already improved our RB.
At the start of OGS tenure we were actually doing quite well in terms of goals conceded. When we started to leak goals again though it was often due to our midfield being lax witht the ball, not tracking runners or the few DDG howlers. The CBs weren't the big issue even if people tried to manufacture Smalling was the culprit for some of the goals.

Adding AWB will solidify us and hopefully DDG gets back to his normal self - that in itself will be huge. I don't think pure defender side we will improve that much with Maguire but, if he is a leader in the back and him being pretty big threat on set pieces, will improve us a degree

I am on the fence on this, on one hand we need to get back to the CL and adding Maguire might aid in that - on the other hand, we also want to be patient, build with the right players and not just over spend on just gaining a little of improvement. Overall wish we'd prioritize a quality DM over getting Maguire.

Gandalf

Ah, I didn't know you'd talked to them.
Ramsey signed on a free just after Christmas. As a fellow English club we were not allowed to negotiate with him in this period. Rabiot or rather his mother stated he would only move to a CL club and plenty of sources were reporting as far back as May that we were not players in the de Ligt transfer because Raiola had already told us he had no interest. The only rumours linking us to de Ligt and Rabiot were on Reddit, no credible journalist suggested for a second that we had a chance because we did not.

Andersons Dietician

I know we can't just spend anything, but given the owner situation and how they aren't spending close to enough considering how much they rake in, then I don't care about quite how much we spend. And it's not a stupid question given to the other member. Who is this other center back we are going to sign? Last summer we went for a few center backs, Maguire being one of them, and ended up with nobody. I'm pretty confident that if we fail with Maguire, the same shite will happen this summer and we won't sign anyone at the back. So it really isn't a stupid question, because in reality, it literally is would you rather sign Maguire for 80m and actually strengthen our defence, or keep the 80m with the Glazers and ignore our problems for another season?
This isn’t true though. They’ve spent a lot they just haven’t spent well. If we believe it or not we were in for Bale and offered more than Real, we went in for VVD at the last minute but it was already too late. Jose asked for Maguire supposedly with a week to go. Even then the fees are still laughable for what we are getting.

It is a stupid question as you’re hypothesising that we won’t sign anyone. We might not but neither you or I knows what will happen. People pose that question all the time and it’s always stupid, because ther should always be another option and there is one in Alderweireld who is better and cheaper and there are more defenders out there or there was this year who will be cheaper and in my opinion are better at what it looks like we are trying to do.

Maguire in Jose’s low block would be great, but I’m wary of him playing in a high line without say Smalling to cover him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I reckon his first choice by a country mile is city due to them being the most equipped team in england but also due to Stones and Walker who like Maguire are from Sheffield.

I think we are offering the most money to Leicester and to himself hence the recent stories.
I doubt a 26 year old man would really care about this enough to factor it into his decision making.

predator

Youth NITK
I doubt a 26 year old man would really care about this enough to factor it into his decision making.
First and foremost I think city are the more attracive destination for him regardless of where his teammates are from.

However I do think that playing alongside Stones and Walker does appeal to him, given they are from the same city and will play alongside him for England.

That's my take on it anyway. Unless he comes out and says he doesn't give a shit about playing alongside fellow south yorkshire premier league winning national teammates then I'll believe that he is desperate to sign for us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
First and foremost I think city are the more attracive destination for him regardless of where his teammates are from.

However I do think that playing alongside Stones and Walker does appeal to him, given they are from the same city and will play alongside him for England.

That's my take on it anyway. Unless he comes out and says he doesn't give a shit about playing alongside fellow south yorkshire premier league winning national teammates then I'll believe that he is desperate to sign for us.
Yeah, I think the first bit is the only thing really. City right now are clearly the more attractive team. I don’t think he’ll be particularly arsed who he goes to if it comes down to it.

predator

Youth NITK
Yeah, I think the first bit is the only thing really. City right now are clearly the more attractive team. I don’t think he’ll be particularly arsed who he goes to if it comes down to it.
But if Guardiola isn't interested enough to persuade Mansour to pay a fee or offer as much wages as us then I think he is ours.

The recent soundbites I've heard tell me he is ours which also tells me city didnt fancy the finances involved.

We will see.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
But if Guardiola isn't interested enough to persuade Mansour to pay a fee or offer as much wages as us then I think he is ours.

The recent soundbites I've heard tell me he is ours which also tells me city didnt fancy the finances involved.

We will see.
Yeah, that’s what I meant. If both offers for accepted, I’d expect him to chose city, but he would happily go either without a second thought for the other team if it’s the only deal going.

Fox1884

Supports
Leicester City
Following on from the Jason Bourne quote, it is mentioned that Leicester possibly have a deadline/cut off point for the deal to happen by as they don't want to leave themselves short or have to rush trying to get a replacement, understandable following what happened with Adrian Silva a couple of summers ago

Fox outside the box

I think the lack of proper structure throughout the team hurts Matic more than most, he doesn't have the legs to cover ground in a chaotic, stretched team, but more compact and organized? Could be much better, still think we need to replace him though. Utd were a woefully coached team last year, Mourinho threw in the towel and was waiting for his payout from pre-season, and his attitude was reflected in the chaos that was our team.

A midfield that understands their roles and keeps to them takes the pressure off the defenders. Pogba makes that difficult with his inconsistent defensive application, the fact we had Fred as a DM late in the season shows how muddled the thinking became, totally unfit for the role and caused uncertainty with everything he did. McTomininay flitting between attacking and defensive roles another issue that needs to be worked on.
Good points. Agree with Matic but I don't think he's an absolute must replace until next year at least. I'd hope that putting more of a shift in overall will help Pogba out. Shutting him down pretty much screws us and if they can graft more for each other and get some energy back into our play, then along with upgrading and gaining a consistent backline, I think we'll be in a good spot.

RedDevilUnited369

City back in? Wow!

If Woodward can’t wrap this up I’m done with UTD emotionally.

Done.
But more than that I want to give big respect for how he’s handled himself because every UTD fan knows he would LOVE to play for this club.

City is a rare phenomenon. Yes....phenomenon. I understand. Any player would love to be in that team right now.

He could have refused to be in the squad tonight. Professional.

Tiber

I like that one of the main arguments against him is that he doesn't suit the new style of Premier League football created by City and Liverpool.

The fact that Pep has consistently (and without any credible contradiction that I have seen) been linked with a desire to sign Maguire to replace his departing captain hints that there may be a slight flaw with that argument

croadyman

Was starting to feel confident this deal was moving quickly on Sunday,however the last day or so and the quotes from Rodgers tonight are making me more doubtful.

Maldo

Huge fee, but would improve us massively. Would rather take him for 80m than an unproven player like Milenkovic for 50m, like Fiorentina are asking for him.

Crashoutcassius

City are letting a 42m pound signing leave for free. That is what we are competing with. If we can afford it then we should do it if it makes us better, if it runs the bank dry there will be more profits in 1 years time

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I thought he was big headed nob way before he did that hip celebration against us, that just cemented it. Having said that, he’s a decent centre back but in no way is he worth what is being reported? I’m definitely going to take the piss out of some of the boys if this goes through. The amount of shit I got from some of them over the fee paid for VVD was scandalous. But this ain’t no VVD we are talking about. Look at that red card he got last season I think at Burnley... How Jones like was that? Still an upgrade though, that I’ll concede.

stevoc

Rumour of them taking Jones as well. Wonder how much we are having to pay them to take Jones off our hands.
They're demanding £100m now if Jones is part of the deal. They'll need the extra 10 million to open a new state of the art medical facility to treat Phils injuries.

GGT

Come on in all honestly, its a big gamble for Harry AT THIS MOMENT, to agree for a move.
Everyone must agree a player such as HM must have supreme confidence in his ability.
So going through his mind, Leicester look has they have a chance to progress, we look to be heading towards a crossroads season, ( could stagnate, could regain some prestige, or fall further).
In his situation, surely the best option is to stay at Leciester, see what transpires, and next year, providing he performs admirably have his pick of clubs
Its a no brainer really, he's staying put.

Infra-red

If its meant to be it will happen. Otherwise we move on.
It will happen. There's no way Leicester are going to stonewall us when these kind of figures are being bandied about. A world record fee (or even something approaching that) for someone like Maguire is simply far too good to turn down.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
It will happen. There's no way Leicester are going to stonewall us when these kind of figures are being bandied about. A world record fee (or even something approaching that) for someone like Maguire is simply far too good to turn down.
We have said from the start we do not want nor need to sell.

The only way we would consider it is for a world record fee, there is no negotiating to be done, there is a price set you either match it or we keep him.

Listening to Mark Ogden earlier it sounded to me like you simply can’t offer that until Lukaku is sold, if the whole £100m budget thing is true

starman

Rodgers & Leicester seem pretty confident we will eventually pay whatever their valuation is. I like Maguire, but not enough to be held to ransom for a record fee. I would love to see a headline of Toby signing for 25m and know Leicester got over confident and fecked up.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Rodgers & Leicester seem pretty confident we will eventually pay whatever their valuation is. I like Maguire, but not enough to be held to ransom for a record fee. I would love to see a headline of Toby signing for 25m and know Leicester got over confident and fecked up.
Fecked up by keeping a player we don’t want to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.