Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maguire has the shorter distance to run, running with the ball is harder, Maguire was also already at full speed.
Still doesn't make him slow chasing one of the fastest players in the league.

I take it you had the same reservations regarding a prospective move for De Ligt who is slow?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sane is among the fastest players in Europe and Maguire does well against him whilst the German is in full flow. I guess you were against the signing of De Ligt who is also slow?
He has poor acceleration

Sparky Rhiwabon

Names of these top level, better defenders please, I need to pass them onto someone at United. Also the 30m cm who improves our squad please.
Juve will probably end up paying less for De Ligt, Rabiot and Ramsey combined!

manunited1919

Dont know why people don't get it.
Question is simple
- if not Maguire, name one CB whom we can realistically sign ?
- if no Maguire, we might not sign anyone. Would that be okay with you?

Don't respond and say the likes of Toby,KK, Varane, De ligt are better options. We discussed them to death why that will not happen.

I would be Ok with no Maguire and with no new centerback, as we have Tuanzabee back in the team. But I would want those £80 or £90 million pounds to be spent in midfield, where we have already lost Herrera and Fellaini, and where Matic may be on his last legs. With AWB and a mobile CDM our defense will be much better even if we don’t get Maguire.

mitch120

I don’t get this argument

1. De Ligt was not interested in joining us
2. De Ligt plays for a club in an inferior league
3. There might be some kind of gentleman’s agreement that he was to get his transfer this window
4. We are buying an English player with English tax
5. We are buying him from a club that finished not far behind us in the league

Stop comparing De Ligt with this transfer. The context is totally different.
so you think 80m for maguire is a bargain then it should be 60m tops and that's at inflated prices .

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would be Ok with no Maguire and with no new centerback, as we have Tuanzabee back in the team. But I would want those £80 or £90 million pounds to be spent in midfield, where we have already lost Herrera and Fellaini, and where Matic may be on his last legs. With AWB and a mobile CDM our defense will be much better even if we don’t get Maguire.

Tuanzebe! He won't come in as a starter. He'll most likely be 4th choice at best. We need a starting centre back more than we need a centre mid - and I get that we need a centre mid!

Redcy

You mean de ligt who we couldn’t get despite offering truckloads of cash too, Ramsey who is making so much money for a player who is average it’s obscene, yes he has no transfer value but his signing on fee and wages are phenomenal. Rabiot is pretty similar. So again please come with 50m defenders better than maguire who we can buy.

Happens every transfer window. The only ones I have seen are diop and he is arguably the same style of transfer we have seen for the past five years like Bailly, lindelhof, etc

Redcy

Everyone: we need a cb

Caf: we have Jones, Smalling, Lindelof .. it’s all fine, everything’s fine

2018-2019 average goals conceded per game 1.41 league, 1.1 uefa

Hughie77

Just get this guy over the line, we need a CB, we all know that, if Maguire is the one stop dithering and get him in? No matter what people think about his attributes bad or good, he's at top of his game now at 26, just get him? Or go with what we got. Foxes are in the right to get as much as they can.

The gentleman's agreement supposedly with Maguire if the right price is paid he can go, so pay the right price. It's going to take a £75 million up front I think, then add ons ?

manunited1919

Tuanzebe! He won't come in as a starter. He'll most likely be 4th choice at best. We need a starting centre back more than we need a centre mid - and I get that we need a centre mid!
You don’t understand my response, you go overreact just because I mentioned Tuanzabee. I am not saying Tuanzabee will be 1st choice. We already have Smalling, Lindelof, Jones, Bailey and Rojo. So now we will also have Tuanzabee to play some Europa League and perhaps other games. What I said on the rest of the post is that we are better off spending £90m in midfield, specially for a mobile CDM to shield our defense. If we use our limited funds in first-team-ready midfielders, our defense won’t be as exposed as they were last year, and we won’t concede as many goals. These same defenders were the 2nd best defense in the EPL just 2 years ago. I’m not saying our defense can’t be improved. But our biggest problem right now is in midfield.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would you rather, 50 mil spent on a better defender and 30 mil on a CM?
Not how it works. We should have a lot more to spend then just 80m more on transfers. Spending 80m on Maguire won't stop us from spending what we need on a midfielder, the thing holding us back is Woodward and the glazers just not really being willing to do so. So personally I dont care too much how much we spend on players. If Ole and the coaches see him as the player to improve us, then spend what's needed. We aren't spending our full budget and we never do (none of us know what that is, but given our yearly revenue, I assure you that we arent spending close to it), so all we can do is hope we get the actual correct player in.

Allas8

Everyone: we need a cb

Caf: we have Jones, Smalling, Lindelof .. it’s all fine, everything’s fine

2018-2019 average goals conceded per game 1.41 league, 1.1 uefa
1.2 goals concedes in the league since Solskjaer came in, that should come out to 45 goals per season. Still not good enough, but we already improved our RB.

Andersons Dietician

Not how it works. We should have a lot more to spend then just 80m more on transfers. Spending 80m on Maguire won't stop us from spending what we need on a midfielder, the thing holding us back is Woodward and the glazers just not really being willing to do so. So personally I dont care too much how much we spend on players. If Ole and the coaches see him as the player to improve us, then spend what's needed. We aren't spending our full budget and we never do (none of us know what that is, but given our yearly revenue, I assure you that we arent spending close to it), so all we can do is hope we get the actual correct player in.
But you get that was me giving you a stupid question in response to the stupid question you gave that other member.
United is a buisness. It needs to turn profit and show sizeable gains. It might take in more money than anyone else but that doesn’t mean it can write off 250mil a window.

Personally I’d rather haggle down the supposed fees of 80 mil and 90mil for Fernandes and Maguire or look elsewhere as personally I think there is better for a lot less and in doing so that might allow money to be spent elsewhere. I think Maguire is a decent enough defender but by no means is he top shelf and not someone we should even be considering breaking a record for.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
None of whom were interested in coming here so that isn't really relevant.
And the wages of Rabiot and Ramsay would be astronomical owing to them being free agents.

stevoc

Apart from that one game against Spurs where he scored an own goal I can't remember a true gaff or a bad performance in the last 2 years from him. his injuries are definitely a concern and hence we need another CB, but I think he's worth keeping around. He's a very experienced player but still only 27. Thats the age defenders enter their peak.
Genuine question have you watched him play since that Spurs game?

There’s been more than one but just off the top of my head he scored one and assisted the other for Valencia a few months ago.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You don’t understand my response, you go overreact just because I mentioned Tuanzabee. I am not saying Tuanzabee will be 1st choice. We already have Smalling, Lindelof, Jones, Bailey and Rojo. So now we will also have Tuanzabee to play some Europa League and perhaps other games. What I said on the rest of the post is that we are better off spending £90m in midfield, specially for a mobile CDM to shield our defense. If we use our limited funds in first-team-ready midfielders, our defense won’t be as exposed as they were last year, and we won’t concede as many goals. These same defenders were the 2nd best defense in the EPL just 2 years ago. I’m not saying our defense can’t be improved. But our biggest problem right now is in midfield.
Fair enough, but I'd say our fans would be split on which is more of a problem.

Smalling - Lindelöf

Or having to play at least one of Fred, McTom or Perreira most games.

Probably a bit of a toss up, but i'd want to get Maguire done now as a priority.

Then see what we can salvage centre mid wise.

romufc

Juve will probably end up paying less for De Ligt, Rabiot and Ramsey combined!
Please go and have a look at the wages and agent fees paid.

I do not understand the point you are making? an offer was made to Rabiot but he chose Juve.. so just because Juve getting players for free and a defender that did not want to come to United, has no PL experience we shouldn't spend money?

I bet you will be jumping about if United came out ans said there is no value in the market.

stevoc

he's there, there is a photo of him walking next to Andy King, unless you're signing him too

well they should be under constant review for a start but also there maybe something they could change in how he's trained or recovers from games that could keep him fit more often
He’s been at United for almost a decade now under Ferguson, Moyes, VanGaal, Mourinho and now Solskjaer. 5 coaching teams, the medical staff has changed in that time also. And no doubt United are hiring top medical professionals.

Don’t you think all those people have tried to cure his injury proneness?

What’s more likely mate a string of incompetent coaching and medical staff that manage to keep dozens of other players fit bar Jones over a number of years by pure luck. Or Phil Jones is just made of Glass?

It’s not like it’s one or two recurring injuries. He’s injured almost every part of his anatomy at this stage. Someone worked out he’s missed enough games from a succession of random injuries to make up 2-3 full seasons of football.

SAFMUTD

Varane is a none starter for the sake that he has either just signed or about to sign a new deal at Madrid and would cost maybe double the 80M we are going to pay for Maguire.

Umatti is injury prone and has already said he has no interest, wants to stay at Barca.

Skriniar hot prospect?? Just signed a new deal at Inter and has already rejected us.

Upamecano we enquired last year and were quoted about 100m by his club, rather spend 80M on Maguire than 100M on an unproven French kid from Germany.

Gimenez again we have enquired, quoted obscene amounts of money and I am pretty sure he has turned us down, maybe before Godin.

You said we should not buy PL yet have put Diop in there? Assuming you mean the lad at West Ham. 60M no thanks.

It is all good and well saying we should buy this lad and that lad, it's not football manager, half of these players are happy where they are and will only move for a Barca/Madrid/Munich etc.

De Ligt/Koulibaly were never coming to us.

Maguire ticks most boxes for what we need right now to improve, has been extremely consistent for 2 years and has become a very important player for England.

For what is available this summer, take Maguire all day.
Firstly we are talking like Maguire transfer was like any other one in the market, we are talking about breaking the record fee for a defender ffs! Do you really consider Maguire as world class? or as a exciting prospect? there are at least 5-10 better or more exciting defenders than him. We shouldnt break the record fee for any player who's not at least top 5 in his position.

Talking about Varane being 160 or Upamecano being 100 is just non-sense, no club in the world would pay that much for them not even us.

Transfers like this one are the reason we are always taken for a ride, the other clubs know we are that stupid and we will pay anything. There's no way Barca, Madrid or Juventus would pay 80 for Maguire.

Lemansky

so you think 80m for maguire is a bargain then it should be 60m tops and that's at inflated prices .
No. It’s not a bargain. I am not overly convinced. But comparing this transfer with De Ligt is ridiculous.

manunited1919

Fair enough, but I'd say our fans would be split on which is more of a problem.

Smalling - Lindelöf

Or having to play at least one of Fred, McTom or Perreira most games.

Probably a bit of a toss up, but i'd want to get Maguire done now as a priority.

Then see what we can salvage centre mid wise.
The original question from bond which I was responding to was:

- if no Maguire, we might not sign anyone. Would that be okay with you?
I would rather not sign anyone at CB if we aren’t able to resolve our midfield during this window. We will have to field not one, but 2 of Fred, McT, and Andreas. Plus Pogba isn’t happy to play for us and might leave or down tools. So priority for me has to be midfield, to properly shield the defense AND to help our attack. We have already improved our defense with AWB. CB can wait till next window if we can improve the midfield. I agree with what you said, our fans are split on this.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But you get that was me giving you a stupid question in response to the stupid question you gave that other member.
United is a buisness. It needs to turn profit and show sizeable gains. It might take in more money than anyone else but that doesn’t mean it can write off 250mil a window.

Personally I’d rather haggle down the supposed fees of 80 mil and 90mil for Fernandes and Maguire or look elsewhere as personally I think there is better for a lot less and in doing so that might allow money to be spent elsewhere. I think Maguire is a decent enough defender but by no means is he top shelf and not someone we should even be considering breaking a record for.
I know we can't just spend anything, but given the owner situation and how they aren't spending close to enough considering how much they rake in, then I don't care about quite how much we spend. And it's not a stupid question given to the other member. Who is this other center back we are going to sign? Last summer we went for a few center backs, Maguire being one of them, and ended up with nobody. I'm pretty confident that if we fail with Maguire, the same shite will happen this summer and we won't sign anyone at the back. So it really isn't a stupid question, because in reality, it literally is would you rather sign Maguire for 80m and actually strengthen our defence, or keep the 80m with the Glazers and ignore our problems for another season?

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Playing tonight for Leicester.

So much for this being a done deal according to Simon.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I know we can't just spend anything, but given the owner situation and how they aren't spending close to enough considering how much they rake in, then I don't care about quite how much we spend. And it's not a stupid question given to the other member. Who is this other center back we are going to sign? Last summer we went for a few center backs, Maguire being one of them, and ended up with nobody. I'm pretty confident that if we fail with Maguire, the same shite will happen this summer and we won't sign anyone at the back. So it really isn't a stupid question, because in reality, it literally is would you rather sign Maguire for 80m and actually strengthen our defence, or keep the 80m with the Glazers and ignore our problems for another season?
We didn't even go for Maguire did we? Thought that was what pissed Mourinho off.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Firstly we are talking like Maguire transfer was like any other one in the market, we are talking about breaking the record fee for a defender ffs! Do you really consider Maguire as world class? or as a exciting prospect? there are at least 5-10 better or more exciting defenders than him. We shouldnt break the record fee for any player who's not at least top 5 in his position.

Talking about Varane being 160 or Upamecano being 100 is just non-sense, no club in the world would pay that much for them not even us.

Transfers like this one are the reason we are always taken for a ride, the other clubs know we are that stupid and we will pay anything. There's no way Barca, Madrid or Juventus would pay 80 for Maguire.
The fact that the Premiership is awash with money nowadays means Leicester do not need to sell to survive. Gone are the days where the mid table clubs needed to sell their star player or best player, pocket half of it to balance the books then pick up a gem from the lower leagues. Maguire is certainly not the best CB in the world he's also far from the worse. However, I think he ticks a lot more boxes than we give him credit for.

- Speaks English and will fit into the dressing room from day one.
- Established at International level and proven at Premiership level
- As a defender, he isn't actually that bad.
- He probably won't agitate for a move to his 'boyhood dream' of (Insert your favorite Spanish / Italian team of choice) after two good seasons.

The fact that he ISNT injury-prone (Better than Jones) Can head AND pass the ball (technically superior to Smalling) and is pretty composed on the ball (Compare to Rojo and or Bailly for this one) he will be an upgrade on what we have got. £80m is a lot and I don't think we are being taken for a ride.

Last season everyone balked at Liverpool for paying what the did for VVD. The point I am making with that is that if you want your man, you have to pay the going rate which is set by the selling club in this climate. Before anyone starts getting giddy, I'm not saying Maguire is on the level of VVD.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Odd that Leicester played him for a half in tonight's friendly. Always the risk of a freak injury?

Bit of a 'nudge' to United?
Pre-season games, buddy. Pretty common for players to play for fewer minutes until they slowly build up to full fitness.

Don't overthink.

Bobski

Personally, I don't think Matic has been nearly as bad as gets made out. Part of the problem we've had with defence has been such an unsettled back line. Having 2 established defenders as first choice along with De Gea, giving them the games to build understanding and cohesion between each other and being comfortable receiving and playing the ball would be huge. I'm also not sure what midfielders instantly improve us, that would want to come and are attainable.
I think the lack of proper structure throughout the team hurts Matic more than most, he doesn't have the legs to cover ground in a chaotic, stretched team, but more compact and organized? Could be much better, still think we need to replace him though. Utd were a woefully coached team last year, Mourinho threw in the towel and was waiting for his payout from pre-season, and his attitude was reflected in the chaos that was our team.

A midfield that understands their roles and keeps to them takes the pressure off the defenders. Pogba makes that difficult with his inconsistent defensive application, the fact we had Fred as a DM late in the season shows how muddled the thinking became, totally unfit for the role and caused uncertainty with everything he did. McTomininay flitting between attacking and defensive roles another issue that needs to be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.