Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offsideagain

Yawn. The media know jackshit about when or if Harry the Head is OT bound. He’s ok but not at ex-Liverpool managers valuation. One paper had him having a medical last Monday. If he wants to move and goes to City, he’ll spend most of his time bench warming like Delph did. Woodward should get his house in order and go and buy Koulibaly now and stop mucking about.

Redcy

Yawn. The media know jackshit about when or if Harry the Head is OT bound. He’s ok but not at ex-Liverpool managers valuation. One paper had him having a medical last Monday. If he wants to move and goes to City, he’ll spend most of his time bench warming like Delph did. Woodward should get his house in order and go and buy Koulibaly now and stop mucking about.
No way is woody spending 120m plus on koulibaly, for that I would buy diop and a midfielder

Zed 101

No way is woody spending 120m plus on koulibaly, for that I would buy diop and a midfielder
Agreed also lots on here saying buy Koulibaly, like the player has no say in the matter, may well not be interested in coming to Utd even if we did stump up an offer

Andrew Riley

Not sure what all the negativity is around Maguire, apart from De Ligt he was my first choice CB I wanted utd to get. He is dominant in both boxes wins almost every header, he is class on the ball he is a natural leader and he is proven in the premier league, easily englands best CB. I am getting sick of all the fake storys of the deal being done, but I for one really hope we sign a back 5 of

De Gea
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw

is a huge upgrade on what had. Get the Maguire deal done, get fernandes and a holding mid, if Lukaku does end up leaving, he needs replacing with either a striker or right winger, De Gea & Pogba to sign new deals, and we will be in for a very good season, league wise I would predict the best since sir alex retired.

StrettyEnder07

Spurs finished 4th actually and they were ahead Arsenal by 1 point only thanks to an Arsenal collapse. Alderweireld is not the player that he was and even at his peak he was overrated. He does look smooth on the ball and can be impressive but he has a mistake in him, is not very good in the air and is easily bullied by physical forwards. There is a reason that nobody is activating that clause and I think he is going to be disappointed in the size of the offers and the profile of the clubs that come calling in January should he make it to Free Agency.
4th apologies, forgot they got pipped resting everyone for the final.

Overrated in his prime, bullied, not the player he was when he has just had a superb season and their run to the final, with him heavily involved and he was quality during the run.

You think he is overrated and has been poor, can be bullied, shocking in the air, that the reason nobody has activated it, might be the fact that he is staying at Spurs, whether he signs a new deal or not time will tell.

Honestly this forum, every player anyone mentions is woeful, one miserable place here dear god.

Alderweireld one of the best CBs in the league for 3/4 years, ridiculously consistent. United get linked with him, dreadful, overrated, can't do this, can't do that, United fans on here jesus wept

StrettyEnder07

If it was because of him, how come only Roma seem to be interested?
If it was because of him? what are you even on about, who said it was down to him alone? anyone?

Him and Vertongan have been superb, Alderweireld kept Sanchez out of the side most of the season, was left out last year because he would not sign a new deal.

Maybe, just maybe him (or his agent, or Spurs) have told any clubs looking to activate it that he is staying at Spurs, why wouldn't you.

Just a thought.

Gandalf

4th apologies, forgot they got pipped resting everyone for the final.

Overrated in his prime, bullied, not the player he was when he has just had a superb season and their run to the final, with him heavily involved and he was quality during the run.

You think he is overrated and has been poor, can be bullied, shocking in the air, that the reason nobody has activated it, might be the fact that he is staying at Spurs, whether he signs a new deal or not time will tell.

Honestly this forum, every player anyone mentions is woeful, one miserable place here dear god.

Alderweireld one of the best CBs in the league for 3/4 years, ridiculously consistent. United get linked with him, dreadful, overrated, can't do this, can't do that, United fans on here jesus wept
Overrated does not mean he is not a good CB it just means he is not the godlike answer to our prayers some seem to be suggesting. He has been a class player for a few seasons but it is a fact that the best of those seasons are in the rear view mirror now and even at his peak he was not in the same class as Kompany or VVD. I believe at this point in time Lindelof is a better player, I would pick Smalling to partner Lindelof over Toby because Toby has the same flaws in his game whereas Smalling is a better pure defender and very good in the air. I have not said anywhere that he is dreadful or shite or anything of the sort but if we were going to buy him it should have been 3 years ago, buying him now will solve nothing and we will have another expensive veteran in our squad that we can't offload in 12 months time.

nainaisson

Every defender even world class ones like Stam and Vidic have shockers, so it's no surprise that a player of Smallings level can have them too. That was one game and he wasn't alone that day in being awful.

Do you judge every player solely on one performance or just Smalling?
If the player is young and has just joined from a less difficult and physically demanding league, like Lindelof, then I don't judge him based on one game. But if a player is supposedly at his peak and he plays like a total clown, then, yes, I think it's fair to judge. And it's not like Smalling was Maldini before or after the Chelsea debacle, so you can't say his Chelsea performance was an outlier.

baskinginthesun

What thread am I in? The spelling mistakes are comical.

Some real news would be nice. It feels like an age since anything substantial has happened (has anything happened?).

SaintMuppet

What thread am I in? The spelling mistakes are comical.

Some real news would be nice. It feels like an age since anything substantial has happened (has anything happened?).
The real news is there is no news.

No real evidence of anything at all, just people getting over excited at random tweets from nobody in particular.

I think that about covers it.

Ekeke

If it was because of him? what are you even on about, who said it was down to him alone? anyone?

Him and Vertongan have been superb, Alderweireld kept Sanchez out of the side most of the season, was left out last year because he would not sign a new deal.

Maybe, just maybe him (or his agent, or Spurs) have told any clubs looking to activate it that he is staying at Spurs, why wouldn't you.

Just a thought.
He didnt keep Sanchez out, they went to 3 at the back sometimes have all 3 playing because Toby and Verthongen are weak in the air. Sanchez made the 2nd most headers out of CBs at the top 6 clubs, 1st being Smalling. Sanchez played 22 games same as Verthongen.

Why would he tell clubs he doesnt want to leave when the entire reason he's at this point is he wants a new contract with more money? :D If anything his agent will be contacting other clubs so the pressure is on Spurs to give him what he wants or lose him

Greck

I have seen him in anything since Spiderman 3, to be honest, so it's hard to judge.
:lol:
Probably a mix up with Alderweireld or whatever his name is. That thread was also 30% people mistaking his name and 20% people correcting them

stevoc

If the player is young and has just joined from a less difficult and physically demanding league, like Lindelof, then I don't judge him based on one game. But if a player is supposedly at his peak and he plays like a total clown, then, yes, I think it's fair to judge. And it's not like Smalling was Maldini before or after the Chelsea debacle, so you can't say his Chelsea performance was an outlier.
Well unless you are deluded enough to claim he plays as bad as that every game then it obviously fecking was an outlier.

Jesus.

nainaisson

Well unless you are deluded enough to claim he plays as bad as that every game then it obviously fecking was an outlier.

Jesus.
A world class defender with a bad performance is an outlier. A mediocre defender with a slightly-more-mediocre-than-usual performance isn't an outlier. Hope that cleared the confusion up for you.

Shimo

Oh yeah Chris Smalling Bashing Thread !!!!

Said it a couple times already earlier but, people are going to really have their knickers in a twist when it comes to Smalling who will end up first choice either along side Maguire if he comes or whichever defender in our ranks that is playing well at a given moment.

Yes, he isn't the ball playing midfielder that everyone wants but, neither is he this inept buffoon. He is still the best actual defender we have and at the end of the day, the manager always ends up with him because that's what they need, an actual defender that can be counted on.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Oh yeah Chris Smalling Bashing Thread !!!!

Said it a couple times already earlier but, people are going to really have their knickers in a twist when it comes to Smalling who will end up first choice either along side Maguire if he comes or whichever defender in our ranks that is playing well at a given moment.

Yes, he isn't the ball playing midfielder that everyone wants but, neither is he this inept buffoon. He is still the best actual defender we have and at the end of the day, the manager always ends up with him because that's what they need, an actual defender that can be counted on.
Yes smalling has been a staple in defense. Yes our league position reflects that. He is a top 6 defender.

Lindelof and Maguire. That's what we need.

stevoc

A world class defender with a bad performance is an outlier. A mediocre defender with a slightly-more-mediocre-than-usual performance isn't an outlier. Hope that cleared the confusion up for you.
You are still talking absolute nonsense mate. He was awful in that Chelsea game and as someone pointed out he was playing with a broken toe. Which explains his lack of mobility that game. He didn’t play again for two months after that match.

In the vast majority of his games though he’s usually solid but unspectacular. Poor on the ball but good defensively. He’s a good defender but nothing more.

As I said you can’t judge a player on one game.

Bobski

Yes smalling has been a staple in defense. Yes our league position reflects that. He is a top 6 defender.

How good is Lindelof really? He was much improved last year but did we overreact due to how woeful he was in his first year. Genuine question, I still think he has a lot to prove, we did concede 56 league goals last year, no-one involved in that can be overly praised.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How good is Lindelof really? He was much improved last year but did we overreact due to how woeful he was in his first year. Genuine question, I still think he has a lot to prove, we did concede 56 league goals last year, no-one involved in that can be overly praised.
Yeah he has a lot to prove but I'd rather give someone who has something to prove a go than a tried and tested mediocre Smalling.

Shimo

Smalling was not a staple in our defense. We actually improved for a while defensively when he came back into the team but, then as the legs of our squad gave way, when Matic was out of form, Pogba coudn't be asked to track his runners or give away the ball, we started to leak goals as a team again. We were 6th because we were shit at scoring goals and we were shit defensively as a team, down to even the most reliable player over the last 7/8 years - DDG. Towards the end of the season, it was Lindelof making mistakes over Smalling.

I'd love for Maguire/Lindelof to be a top partnership but, reality is that despite Smalling limitations on the ball, he is consistently better defensively than anyone else we have and so fully expect he'll end up being one of the starting CB.

Ekeke

Lindelof has been here 2 seasons, the 1 season he was a first choice for most of the season we came 6th. By your logic he is the top 6 defender, while Smalling was our best CB in a top 2 season the year before where Lindelof was just an extra.

Canagel

Better on the ball, but hes the one who plays. Because hes a better defender and theres 9 other outfield players to be better on the ball
If better defender means sitting in our box and clearing crosses like your typical Burnley side I agree he's our best defender. And if we start playing like that Smalling will be back in no time.

If defending means playing far away from our goal and not actually doing much defending because attack is the best form of the defence he won't be required.

It depends which way the manager intends to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.