Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Rojo 29 years old
Smalling 29 years old
Jones 27 years old.

Only Tuanzebe is the young talented CB we have at the moment. That's why Alderweireld + Konate sounds a better deal than just Maguire. I agree with you about transfers to improve our squad now. For that reason, I think that Alderweireld + Ndidi would be a better improvement than just Maguire (considering that we have to strenth other positions).

IMO a young CB like De Ligt, Upamecano, Konate, etc would have a better resale value than Maguire... But then again, I could be wrong. I hope Maguire ends up being world-class for us and we get more players so we don't rely on Matic and Lingard in the positions we need to strengthen.
Jones 27? He's been around for ever.

nainaisson

So he was just injured for fun? Injuries don't hamper performance? I'm sure next you'll be using Maguire outjumping an injured Smalling to level the match recently as something against Smalling.
I'm just doing my part in the "Let's Bash Chris Smalling" thread, and some people seem to be taking it personally.

He was partly responsible for every goal Chelsea scored that day, so naturally the club would leak some excuse on his behalf. That explanation seems far more likely than Mourinho holding a gun to his head and forcing him to play.

Chelsea were really good that year and exposed how bad our defenders really are, Smalling especially. It's as simple as that. If we were playing Fenerbahce at Old Trafford again, like we did a few days before, we probably would have kept another clean sheet. But since we were playing the best team in the league, we conceded four goals, and our defenders were exposed as being crap -- Smalling especially.

Alemar

That's why Alderweireld + Konate sounds a better deal than just Maguire.
Two good players for the same position add less value than one very good player. Maguire plays better than Alderweireld or Konate, whereas neither Alderweireld nor Konate play better than Lindelof. Additionally, Alderweireld is very injury prone whereas Maguire is nearly always fit to play.

hubbuh

You have 27 posts in this thread. That's over 8% of all your posts. It's only a saga because you make it one.
All of the posts I have read of his are borderline hysterical. Either people are losing any sort of self awareness or the average age of the 'caf is flatlining below 13 years old. Either or - it's pathetic and tiresome.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
That has to be the meaningless stat....as if any one person is responsible for a clean sheet?
If it’s so meaningless why do goalkeepers and defenders get clean sheet bonus’ written into their contracts?

Fer

Two good players for the same position add less value than one very good player. Maguire plays better than Alderweireld or Konate, whereas neither Alderweireld nor Konate play better than Lindelof. Additionally, Alderweireld is very injury prone whereas Maguire is nearly always fit to play.
Agreed. I always prefer quality over quantity. Maybe I don't rate Maguire as high as other posters. But you are totally right about that.

IMO we need to strength at least 3 positions this summer. That's why I mentioned that I prefer to improve 2 positions for 80m than just one. Ndidi + talented young CB would be the ideal scenario for me. But then again, that's my personal preference.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If it’s so meaningless why do goalkeepers and defenders get clean sheet bonus’ written into their contracts?
You're conflating two different things. Of course if goalkeepers/defenders are part of a side that gets a clean sheet it's not unreasonable to attribute a bonus to the players for that game.

But to use clean sheet stats as a measure of comparing one defender against another is a little arbitrary and pointless. How do you know for example that Smalling (or any other player just to be fair to the Chuckle) wasn't playing like shite in a particular game and had their asses saved by De Gea, which has happened quite frequently in the past. They're going to be accredited with a clean sheet even though they didn't necessarily deserve it and but for the GK would not have had one. It's a meaningless stat.

I'd rather they be measured by tackles won, duels won, pass completion etc. The clean sheet stat is only really relevant to a GK on an individual basis but rewarding the defence as a whole is an added incentive/bonus not to be shite.

Alemar

IMO we need to strength at least 3 positions this summer. That's why I mentioned that I prefer to improve 2 positions for 80m than just one. Ndidi + talented young CB would be the ideal scenario for me. But then again, that's my personal preference.
We can buy Maguire (hopefully we have funds for it), then buy an attacker with Lukaku money (preferably someone who may play as the right forward, but someone like Dybala would also work), and then buy a midfielder with funds raised by deadwood sales (I dont think it would be THAT difficult to sell Darmian for 10m, Rojo for 15m, and Bailly for 25-30m - that's 50-55m already).

Ok, maybe 50m is not enough to buy a good midfielder (these days), but perhaps we could spend 70-80 if 50 are raised via sales of surplus players. It is also a possibility to use Matic as a makeweight in a deal for some very good CDM in case we find one

stevoc

I'm just doing my part in the "Let's Bash Chris Smalling" thread, and some people seem to be taking it personally.

He was partly responsible for every goal Chelsea scored that day, so naturally the club would leak some excuse on his behalf. That explanation seems far more likely than Mourinho holding a gun to his head and forcing him to play.

Chelsea were really good that year and exposed how bad our defenders really are, Smalling especially. It's as simple as that. If we were playing Fenerbahce at Old Trafford again, like we did a few days before, we probably would have kept another clean sheet. But since we were playing the best team in the league, we conceded four goals, and our defenders were exposed as being crap -- Smalling especially.
fecking hell mate are you listening to yourself here? You seriously think Manchester United made up a story about Smalling breaking his toe and then just didn't play him for 8 weeks to make it seem legitimate?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/563117/Chris-Smalling-injury-Manchester-United-news

For the record Mourinho and the club actually refused to confirm whether he had broken his toe or even what sort of injury he was out with. The type of injury he had wasn't confirmed until January 2017 when Smalling came back.

But hey don't let any of that get in the way of your conspiracy theories mate.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
How do you know what is written into goalkeepers and defenders contracts?
Well obviously I don’t know the contract of every keeper and defender in the world :D.

But a clean sheet bonus is very common in professional football.

Charlie Foley

This is the worst post ever

meninred

Usually Smalling and Jones perform better when they have a commanding defender besides them.

croadyman

Usually Smalling and Jones perform better when they have a commanding defender besides them.
Can't remember ever seeing Utd so odds on to sign a player but still nothing concrete from any credible sources.

nainaisson

fecking hell mate are you listening to yourself here? You seriously think Manchester United made up a story about Smalling breaking his toe and then just didn't play him for 8 weeks to make it seem legitimate?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/563117/Chris-Smalling-injury-Manchester-United-news

For the record Mourinho and the club actually refused to confirm whether he had broken his toe or even what sort of injury he was out with. The type of injury he had wasn't confirmed until January 2017 when Smalling came back.

But hey don't let any of that get in the way of your conspiracy theories mate.
Okay, if the toe injury was so debilitating, why did he play for 90 minutes without a visible limp? Why did United's medical staff, whose job it is to protect him, allow him to play?

Players play with injuries all the time, I'm guessing many with injuries as bad as Smalling's, but rarely use it as an excuse for being crap. And, apparently, this injury is still affecting him because he's still a crap defender. I hope he spends more time out and gets his toe injury properly fixed this time.

Also, The Daily Star is a garbage tabloid, so I'm not reading whatever article you linked to.

diarm

What about how many clean sheets?
No idea. I wouldn't imagine either of them are covered in glory on that front. I was simply pointing out that Jones having far more own goals in him than Smalling was not correct.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Neither of them strike me as a leader. Leicester improves dramatically when we brought in Robert Huth to play alongside Wes Morgan. Whilst neither were in the prime of their career, that organisationally ability and game management made us more of a solid unit.

Dropping in younger players, is what you lose when this happens. Experience does go a long way. It’s one of the things that Liverpool gained with VVD.

For the record, Maguire isn’t a defensive Marshall (currently). Crazy as it may sound to you guys, Johnny Evans made Maguire look better last season.

Eric's Seagull

How about this one: We are delaying an announcement because we want to rock the world and the stock market by announcing three players at once? It's not likely, but it's certainly a possibility. Quite how we are getting everyone to play along is a mystery.
I find your point in bold high unlikely although not impossible and would extremely happy, if it happened :drool:

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Lets hope you have other targets eh? :houllier:

Not sure whats going on, and judging by what Geoff Peters said yesterday, this has not even progressed slightly.
Geoff is a good source, not a loud mouthed "would be ITK".
Only source you will get from the Leicester side better than Geoff is probably John Percy and the club itself.
Sean is a speculator, he did get some early team news on occassion, but this is a world away from transfer insight.

This saga is getting very tiresome now, and the article yesterday from The Sun was extremely disrepectful to Leicester (Such that it was pulled later in the day)

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldyella

Okay, if the toe injury was so debilitating, why did he play for 90 minutes without a visible limp? Why did United's medical staff, whose job it is to protect him, allow him to play?

Players play with injuries all the time, I'm guessing many with injuries as bad as Smalling's, but rarely use it as an excuse for being crap. And, apparently, this injury is still affecting him because he's still a crap defender. I hope he spends more time out and gets his toe injury properly fixed this time.

Also, The Daily Star is a garbage tabloid, so I'm not reading whatever article you linked to.
Sorry but this is bollocks. He played because at the time Jose had been in the press criticising players for not being tough enough to play through injuries and Utd players were injury prone. No one knew who he meant but fingers were pointing at Smalling and I believe Luke Shaw?

You are basically calling him and the club liars and accusing him of feigning injury. Awful post.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
If you could sign just one player from Leicester, would you prefer Maguire over Ndidi or Maddison?
Maguire would solidify our defence. United always recruits the top English centre back, which Maguire is currently.

Maddison is exciting & full of potential.

But we are so stacked with CBs & AMs. Plus no one seems to be leaving.
  1. Ndidi
  2. Maguire
  3. Maddison

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Congrats on writing the funniest post of the day - now not only is Smalling 'utter shite' but we have a conspiracy from the manager and medical staff to cover up for him ..... worth remembering vaccinations are evil, the world is flat and man never walked on the moon mate!

stevoc

You are absolutely fecking deluded mate, deluded.

Smalling didn't use it as an excuse, other people are telling you it contributed to a terrible performance. If you think Smalling plays as badly as he did in that Chelsea game every time he plays. Then you are either on a WUM, don't actually watch him play or don't have a good understanding of football.

Also it doesn't matter which paper it is, they are direct quotes from Mourinho. Do you understand that even the tabloids aren't in the habit of inventing quotes on a regular basis?

arnie_ni

If better defender means sitting in our box and clearing crosses like your typical Burnley side I agree he's our best defender. And if we start playing like that Smalling will be back in no time.

If defending means playing far away from our goal and not actually doing much defending because attack is the best form of the defence he won't be required.

It depends which way the manager intends to play.
you mean like when smalling constantly breaks play up at the half way line?

Just look at the barca game where he smashed messi in the process.

Smalling is our best front foot defender because of his pace and long legs, he can nick the ball off the opposition in front of the attacker.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Maguire has been taking a medical for 8 days now, surely enough tests have been done..????
He'll be exhausted by the time the season begins.....:rolleyes:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The Leicester ‘ITK’ who said it was a done deal is now saying that Maguire will play in the friendly tonight but “being protected in the B team”.

He’s also branched out and said that we’re dealing with Fernandes this week too! :lol:

So, if it wasn’t already abundantly clear... This guy knows feck all and we’re seemingly no further along than we were at the start of July when our bid was rejected.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

All of the posts I have read of his are borderline hysterical. Either people are losing any sort of self awareness or the average age of the 'caf is flatlining below 13 years old. Either or - it's pathetic and tiresome.
My posts in this have been tongue in cheek, or trying to jinx this deal into happening, still pretty tongue in cheek :lol: I assure you I'm not losing sleep over this, well, only a few nights a week:nervous: As it's borderlining on shitposting now I will stop :)

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It seems odd that people are abusing Smalling on the maguire thread as it is.

But that Smalling Chelsea incident was pretty clear.
Jose had unfairly criticised people not playing through injuries.
Smalling bravely played through. Was clearly well off because of it. And then was out ages injured! Genius.

I think people overlook how bad a toe injury is as it's such a small area.
But for anyone who has played football just kicking a ball with a blackened/hanging off nail is painful. Let alone a broken one. Yes you can numb it. But still

hubbuh

My posts in this have been tongue in cheek, or trying to jinx this deal into happening, still pretty tongue in cheek :lol: I assure you I'm not losing sleep over this, well, only a few nights a week:nervous: As it's borderlining on shitposting now I will stop :)
:lol: fair enough. It's hard to discern between those that indulge in the summer madness lightheartedly and those that actually seem on the verge of a mental breakdown on a daily basis.

StrettyEnder07

I don’t need to make you look or sound like anything. I’m not, infact.

There’s clearly a huge barrier in logic between us here. Bailly and Tuanzebe look significantly more comfortable on the right. So does Lindelof, albeit he can shift across with more ease because his left foot is stronger. Smalling looks wooden on the left side, too. Jones is the only player that has spent large parts of his career playing there, a little like Maguire. So when you go to buy a new centre half, you buy according to your strengths. And it seems to me that Ole would like to use Lindelof on his best side. Therefore, a player that is better on the left makes sense. Hence Maguire.

I don’t know why Mourinho looked to buy both Bailly and Lindelof. Not one of them can really head the ball so I’d put that down to just another example of piss poor management on his part. But they’re never going to work as a partnership. And I wouldn’t back Alderweireld to partner them either given his lack of prowess in the air, too.

Yes, I’d be very surprised if Alderweireld hasn’t been replaced by Spurs for somebody better and younger by the time he is 32. On less wages, too. I’d be surprised if he’s playing in the Premier League. Another big side in a less physical league? Perhaps so, but another 32 year old on our books just isn’t what we need at United, at this time.
Yeah to be fair the LCB/RCB makes sense, could not tell you what side Maguire plays on tbh but if he is left then he would compliment him better, 80M just hope his lack of defending ability on the turn and his lack of pace don't come back to bite us in the ass.

Looks like Toby will be staying at Spurs as his clause ends on Thursday, no doubt he will have another top season and be as solid as a rock, top top defender for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.