Harry Maguire

NJM78

I think he looks a class act right now having seemed to have watched Hull a lot lately due to our games with them. Think he has a bright future at at higher level team than Hull for sure. At the moment he looks really good but lets see if he can sustain it until the end of the campaign. Also when you have error prone defenders like Rojo and rugby tackling ones who cant pass wind like Smalling it can give an impression that other defenders at other teams are actually better than what they are so its always a risk taken on the relatively unknown. I'm actually surprised by Bailly considering I had never watched him especially when others I had watched often who I thought looked really good like err...Otamendi...have turned out to be shite.
All I know is I'd like to see Bailly with a new partner next year and then have Jones and another, maybe someone like a Maguire as back up. I would not lose any sleep if both Rojo and Smalling are shown the door in the summer and this is despite Rojo being pretty good at CB compared to his horror shows at LB.

Treble_Winning

Very promising player. Definitely someone who could improve our squad. I would be very surprised if Jose isn't already monitoring him. If he joins UTD he could very well become England's new defensive lynchpin.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
My favourite bit was when he simply grabbed Theo Walcott by the armpit and moved him around like a puppet.

drdoityourself

Against a team that park the bus he could be an asset for a top team. A ball carrying centre back get a long way up the pitch and shake up the defence. Like Luiz can do for Chelsea. How often we see Smalling venturing 30 yards up the field only to realize where he is and freeze.
Defensively he has impressed me also. That header back to the keeper was a sign of a guy brimming with confidence.

RedMaestro

Just saw a funny picture and don't know if anyone's seen it. Thought I'd post it here, even if it's a week late:

A picture from the Arsenal-Hull match, between Maguire and Walcott:

Maguire, 1,88 m - Walcott, 1,76 m

Reminds a lot of the Fellaini/Valbuena picture:

Fellaini, 1,94 m - Valbuena, 1,67 m

ROFLUTION

Hull has the second worst defence in the league, letting 2 goals in a game. Is this a fm-thing or is he actually stable and strong in his performances?

Classical Mechanic

Hull has the second worst defence in the league, letting 2 goals in a game. Is this a fm-thing or is he actually stable and strong in his performances?
If you look at his stats he certainly does some things well

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/99487/Show/Harry-Maguire

That is not a definitive guide though, they have Otamendi as the highest rated defender in the league! There is no stat to measure how many times he dives in and exposes his defence.

I think Mcguire needs to step up. Everton would be a good move for him.

Hawks2008

Don't rate him tbh, looks good for hull and can probably do okay at a mid table side but yeah, not sure if it's just his level at hull.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Get your nose out of the stats book and actually watch a hull game.

Since their new manager has come in they are a completely different team defensively. Harsh to judge anyone at that club on the first half of the season, a season they started with only about 15 senior players.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Think this guy is coming along great. He looks like an awkward oaf but hes actually quite good on the ball and very calm in situations others might crap their pants. Would take him without a doubt, not as if they would demand mental prices considering there is a chance Hull will go down

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's quality, let's bin off Jones and Smalling and get him and Keane.
Seeing as we're talking young English centre backs, Alfie Mawson (Swansea) looks a real prospect to me.

Jaybomb

Some of you guys are mental. Theres no way the likes of Maguire are United quality. This isn't the 70s anymore. If we want to win Champions Leagues again, we're gonna need someone better then Harry fecking Maguire.

GledTheRed

Some of you guys are mental. Theres no way the likes of Maguire are United quality. This isn't the 70s anymore. If we want to win Champions Leagues again, we're gonna need someone better then Harry fecking Maguire.
He's a bloody good player

Jaybomb

He's a bloody good player
There's a difference in doing well for Hull City and doing well for Manchester United. The expectation and the required quality as a whole is higher.

Why settle for Maguire when we clearly have the funds to tempt just about anybody? Why not throw a big wage packet at someone like Boateng or Pique.

We're not Liverpool. We don't struggle to get top class players. We don't have to get players "on the cheap" in hopes that they'll develop into a world beater and make us great again... so why make it look like we do?

I can see the logic behind signing Keane back. Would make a good squad player like O'Shea did. Plus he's an academy product.

But selling Jones or Smalling just to sign another awkward looking CB would be a sideways step. We need CBs who can actually play football.

GledTheRed

There's a difference in doing well for Hull City and doing well for Manchester United. The expectation and the required quality as a whole is higher.

Why settle for Maguire when we clearly have the funds to tempt just about anybody? Why not throw a big wage packet at someone like Boateng or Pique.

We're not Liverpool. We don't struggle to get top class players. We don't have to get players "on the cheap" in hopes that they'll develop into a world beater and make us great again... so why make it look like we do?

I can see the logic behind signing Keane back. Would make a good squad player like O'Shea did. Plus he's an academy product.

But selling Jones or Smalling just to sign another awkward looking CB would be a sideways step. We need CBs who can actually play football.
That's my point Maguire and Keane can play, Jones and Smalling are terrible footballers. These guys would be coming as squad options with Rojo and Bailly first choices.

Alabaster Codify7

He's good but I think his ceiling would be Smalling/Jones level, and we need to look much higher than that. I can definitely see him moving to a bigger club ASAP though and having a good PL career, sort of a Shawcross type.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The thing with young defender isnt always about ability but mental. Many players that shone in smaller team stutters when they made it to the bigger team where expectations and demand is alot more.

We've had our fair share of them : depay, shaw, scheniderlin, anderson, tim howard, and the list goes on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Players like McGuirre and Keane definitely have a bit about them but it's all focussing on the pluses and ignoring the negatives when they're at teams like Hull and Burnley. That's natural: nobody cares enough to fully watch them or offer complete scrutiny. But to say both - or either - are better than Smalling or Jones who have both had periods at the highest level is a bit silly.

El Zoido

Just saw a funny picture and don't know if anyone's seen it. Thought I'd post it here, even if it's a week late:

A picture from the Arsenal-Hull match, between Maguire and Walcott:

Maguire, 1,88 m - Walcott, 1,76 m
There's some perspective stuff going on here but that's an amazing picture.

Zlatattack

I once heard Rafa Benitez answer a question about why Shay Given never played for a top club and if he'd even been tempted to sign him. Rafa was very clever with his answer. He said Shay Given is a world class shot stopper but he might not be as good as distrubuting the ball, or playing with his feet to meet the expectations of the biggest clubs. You need to consider the club a player is at and what system they play in when judging them.

Harry Maguire plays in a Hull side which is compact, sits back and defends, so they'll always be inviting pressure and defenders will regularly be involved. The concentration levels will be high all the time. If you're playing for Manchester United, you're defending nearer the half way line, you're more likely to be isolated and the opposition will try to knock the ball over you past you and run onto goal more often than running into a wall of you and you're colleagues.

He might be able to play well at that game, but until that's been asessed, you can't really say how suited he is for us.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Love the way he steams forward, carrying the ball, always seems confident in carrying the ball towards the oppo goal.

Huge lad and pretty mobile. Drop £15m at their door. If he cannot handle it we haven't done a City and dropped huge money on a over rated CB.

Blind

That's my point Maguire and Keane can play, Jones and Smalling are terrible footballers. These guys would be coming as squad options with Rojo and Bailly first choices.
Exactly, Smalling and Jones in a mid table team would look better, especially Smalling, but you can still tell that Maguire is far more competent on the ball. He set up one of Hull's goals on Wednesday with a pass that took out Boro's midfield.

GledTheRed

Exactly, Smalling and Jones in a mid table team would look better, especially Smalling, but you can still tell that Maguire is far more competent on the ball. He set up one of Hull's goals on Wednesday with a pass that took out Boro's midfield.
I know it was a thing of beauty, I'm smalling had attempted that he would have broken his leg.

Classical Mechanic

He is excellent at dribbling for a defender and he has two assists this season. He almost scored against us as well.