Harry Maguire

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
For those saying we need a CB who's good on the ball.....he is pretty good on the ball! Just because he's built like a brick shithouse doesn't mean he can't play.

Fully agree with the 'can he do it at a top club' comments. You simply don't know until the player moves.

poleglass red

It's whether or not he can make that step up to us, that is my only concern. But I love the type of defender he is and one of that type is what we need. Strong no-nonsense and comfortable on the ball. We don't have that. Rojo tries to be but he isn't, Bailly can be. Whether Maguire is that man or not is difficult to call, but I fully expect Mourinho to strengthen in this area.

Dobbs

There's a difference in doing well for Hull City and doing well for Manchester United. The expectation and the required quality as a whole is higher.

Why settle for Maguire when we clearly have the funds to tempt just about anybody? Why not throw a big wage packet at someone like Boateng or Pique.

We're not Liverpool. We don't struggle to get top class players. We don't have to get players "on the cheap" in hopes that they'll develop into a world beater and make us great again... so why make it look like we do?

I can see the logic behind signing Keane back. Would make a good squad player like O'Shea did. Plus he's an academy product.

But selling Jones or Smalling just to sign another awkward looking CB would be a sideways step. We need CBs who can actually play football.
Unless we're getting a player from one of the other huge European clubs that statement can be made about any future transfer.

Jaybomb

It's whether or not he can make that step up to us, that is my only concern. But I love the type of defender he is and one of that type is what we need. Strong no-nonsense and comfortable on the ball. We don't have that. Rojo tries to be but he isn't, Bailly can be. Whether Maguire is that man or not is difficult to call, but I fully expect Mourinho to strengthen in this area.
Rojo is miles ahead of Maguire. He is one of the best ball playing CBs in the Prem.

Jaybomb

Unless we're getting a player from one of the other huge European clubs that statement can be made about any future transfer.
When has an English player ever been really good for us after signing from a lower team? I'm talking recently here.

Jones came from Blackburn and he's been crap for the most part.

Smalling came from Fulham and although he has his bandwagon, he is not United quality under any stretch of the imagination.

Shaw has also been crap.

Seriously, I'm struggling to think of a case where this type of transfer has ever worked out.

RedMaestro

When has an English player ever been really good for us after signing from a lower team? I'm talking recently here.

Smalling came from Fulham and although he has his bandwagon, he is not United quality under any stretch of the imagination.

Shaw has also been crap.

Seriously, I'm struggling to think of a case where this type of transfer has ever worked out.
Rio and Rooney? But do you mean even more recent?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
For those saying we need a CB who's good on the ball.....he is pretty good on the ball! Just because he's built like a brick shithouse doesn't mean he can't play.
Yeah I don't know if he is good enough for a big step up, but he's certainly very competent on the ball.

Jaybomb

Rio and Rooney? But do you mean even more recent?
That's a lifetime ago. Football was different back then. The Premier League had a lot of world class English talent back in the early 00s.

The only English players that look remotely close to that are Alli and Kane. Maybe Sterling. And I wouldn't have any of those at United either.

Why buy another young CB when we have Tuanzebe?

RedMaestro

That's a lifetime ago. Football was different back then. The Premier League had a lot of world class English talent back in the early 00s.

The only English players that look remotely close to that are Alli and Kane. Maybe Sterling. And I wouldn't have any of those at United either.

Why buy another young CB when we have Tuanzebe?
Not saying they should be bought, but to answer your question - probably because they've been 'tested' in the PL and 'succeeded'...

Jaybomb

Not saying they should be bought, but to answer your question - probably because they've been 'tested' in the PL and 'succeeded'...
If Maguire was in our reserves, he wouldn't get a shot either.

But because he's done it for another team, we should abandon one of our top prospects because he hasn't had the chance to show what he can do? I don't agree with that at all.

Give Tuanzebe a shot at CB next season and buy a short term experienced one to lead from the back. Someone like Pepe.

RedMaestro

If Maguire was in our reserves, he wouldn't get a shot either.

But because he's done it for another team, we should abandon one of our top prospects because he hasn't had the chance to show what he can do? I don't agree with that at all.

Give Tuanzebe a shot at CB next season and buy a short term experienced one to lead from the back. Someone like Pepe.
I agree, the youngsters should get chances here and there to show if they have what it takes. But Mourinho clearly doesn't trust them. You've heard what he said about Shaw not understanding the game and that he had to 'tell him what to do'. Probably thinks the same about the other youngsters as well? So unless there's a major injury crisis, which forces him to use the youngsters I don't see it as a realistic thing.

He basically can't afford to use them and fail. Sure, it's not going that well when he's using the 'experienced' ones as well, but then he doesn't have anything to blame on (well yeah, he does, but not the same thing). He needs 'quick' results and won't use them because of that, so the only way academy players under Mourinho can be future starters is if they go out on a loan to a good club. Pereira has done a good job on his loan and I'll be surprised and a bit upset if he doesn't get a chance when he returns, because he's showed that he has the potential, and with the right guidance, the start of a promising career.

At least my thoughts, might be wrong, but still my thoughts. :)

Yes, Pepe would actually be interesting to get despite his age. He's still good enough and has a lot of experience and is a winner. Sure, nothing long term, but there's no place for being picky right now. Results are needed and if the 'oldies' can help get those then they should play.

Dobbs

Shaw has also been crap.

Why have you inserted the English clause?

I was responding to your point about the step up from a club like Hull to United.

Can you name a centre half we've signed over the last 20 years who didn't have to make a similar leap? Bailly, Vidic, Jones, Smalling, Pallister, Bruce, Stam, Johnsen, they all came from much smaller clubs.

I'm not saying Maguire is good enough, I haven't seen that much of him. Whoever we get though it's likely coming to United will be their first test at this level. That gap shouldn't be reason not to sign a player.

Last edited:

Jaybomb

Why have you inserted the English clause?

I was responding to your point about the step up from a club like Hull to United.

Can you name a centre half we've signed over the last 20 years who didn't have to make a similar leap? Bailly, Vidic, Jones, Smalling, Pallister, Bruce, Stam, Johnsen, they all came from much smaller clubs.

I'm not saying Maguire is good enough, I haven't seen that much of him. Whoever we get though it's likely coming to United will be their first test at this level. That gap shouldn't be reason not to sign a player.
Because England players in general are average. So signing any of them when your goals are to compete with the worlds elite teams is a massive disadvantage.

Could you see Harry Maguire at Real Madrid? No. Therefore he's not good enough for Manchester United. We need to be ruthless about these things.

Devil81

I've been quietly impressed with Maguire, not sure he's United quality but he's certainly worth a gamble for someone like Everton.

One thing I noted was his ability to carry the ball out of defence, he's big and strong and capable of carrying it up field.

Zlatattack

Love the way he steams forward, carrying the ball, always seems confident in carrying the ball towards the oppo goal.

Huge lad and pretty mobile. Drop £15m at their door. If he cannot handle it we haven't done a City and dropped huge money on a over rated CB.
You have the most amazing username ever.

#wellJel

MalcolmTucker

Has anyone mentioned that he's good at carrying the ball out of the defense? Or that he's capable on the ball? Or that he's capable of carrying the ball out of defense?

Dobbs

Because England players in general are average. So signing any of them when your goals are to compete with the worlds elite teams is a massive disadvantage.

Could you see Harry Maguire at Real Madrid? No. Therefore he's not good enough for Manchester United. We need to be ruthless about these things.
So we can't sign players who are English and we can't sign players from smaller clubs because of the step up they'd have to make.

Think of the players over the last 20 years and consider how many of them we wouldn't have bought had we employed your transfer strategy.

Surely it makes more sense to judge any potential signing on an individual basis rather than employing these very broad rules.

ROFLUTION

Get your nose out of the stats book and actually watch a hull game.
In all seriousity 'go watch a hull game' is a funny sentence. I think Id rather mow my neighbors lawns. Or watch a movie with Vin Diesel :lol:

Jaybomb

So we can't sign players who are English and we can't sign players from smaller clubs because of the step up they'd have to make.

Think of the players over the last 20 years and consider how many of them we wouldn't have bought had we employed your transfer strategy.

Surely it makes more sense to judge any potential signing on an individual basis rather than employing these very broad rules.
No, just English players from smaller clubs.

Jaybomb

So a foreign player moving from an equally small club would be OK?
Yes. Cause that's proven to have worked. Along with the fact that English players play and are trained the "English" way (ie. Lack of technical skill and more running and "no nonsense")

Anyone who wants to see United as the best team in the world again should know that if you play like England, then you'll get results like England.

Cerpin

If Jose is looking to ship out Phil Jones this summer I think Maguire would be an excellent replacement. Sure, it might be a bit of a gamble, but he's really been key Hull's superb recent run. As a lot have said in this thread, he's surprisingly fast and good on the ball for someone his size/build. Deserves a national team call-up ahead of Gibson, in my opinion.

zeekey

Looks like the lead singer from The Beautiful South or Jimmy from Raising Hope.

Dobbs

Yes. Cause that's proven to have worked. Along with the fact that English players play and are trained the "English" way (ie. Lack of technical skill and more running and "no nonsense")

Anyone who wants to see United as the best team in the world again should know that if you play like England, then you'll get results like England.
Haven't we just signed a bunch of foreign players over the last few years who haven't worked?

To me it's crazy to have set rules on who you can or cannot sign, just judge each player individually. Surely that makes more sense.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
This lad is impressive. Hadn't really watched him that much before but they were showing highlights of his performance for Leicester vs Brighton on MOTD and he looked very good.

Great distribution, very comfortable on the ball, and seems excellent at bringing it out from the back. He can defend too.

I'm not sure why City didn't go for him instead of Evans or why we didn't look at him instead of Lindelof.

Alabaster Codify7

I like Maguire a lot, something tells me he'd make the step up as well if he was to join one of the big teams. Just a hunch.

IrishRedDevil

Was obviously a very talented player at Hull and now getting the recognition that he deserves. Tidy on the ball and composed for a big lad.

I seen a few on this forum say that we should have targeted Maguire around the time we were linked with Keane.

wythyred

Very good defender, you could see it last season at Hull that he was above everyone else in their team.

If he does well at Leicester this season the big boys will come calling.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He's your typical example of a player who's rated highly because puts in a few decent performances but he's not playing for a top side so his mistakes aren't picked up on. Just look at his ''marking'' of Giroud for the 4th Arsenal goal last week. If that was a CB playing for a top side he'd get crucified.

Dobbs

I can't understand the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs not being in for him. Then you look at the fee Leicester paid and it's crazy they passed up the chance.

The only reason I'm not bothered we weren't interested is because we're already well stocked in that position.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I can't understand the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs not being in for him. Then you look at the fee Leicester paid and it's crazy they passed up the chance.

The only reason I'm not bothered we weren't interested is because we're already well stocked in that position.
Arsenal or Liverpool maybe, imho he'd be ideal for City. Good touch and passing, comfortable under pressure and can bring it out from the back. Plus can defend. If they buy Evans for 30mil having passed on maguire for 15 I'd be well pleased