Harry & Meghan step back from Royals - seeking financial independence

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
As an outsider, it's puzzling to me that some in the UK seem to me adopting the tone of someone in an employment dispute. As in, "if they don't do X then they shouldn't get Y and Z". When I would have thought that the key thing about royalty is that they get Y and Z simply by virtue of being who they are. Prince Harry isn't obliged to earn his status in some way, he was born with it. If taxpayers don't like having to pay security for a prince whose actions they disagree with then that's an argument for not having princes really. Once you do have them, this is the kind of thing you'll have to put up with.
Think they hate their royals. Something to do with tradition or culture

We asians are a different breed when it comes to loving our royals

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They're not that rich arent they?

Meghan's filmography is of a clist actress until suits come along.

I still think it's inappropriate for meghan to snatch away harry like that from his family and duty. This is what she marries herself into. Being a royals has been what Harry's doing.

And I'm not even brits.
So. Megan has 'snatched' Harry away....Goodness me.
Does Harry not have a say in this.
Does Harry not have a mind of his own.
Prince Charles has publically stated that when he becomes King, he wants to have a much smaller royal family.

I am in favour of the Royal Family but there is no point at all in having an unhappy Harry.
I say good luck to him for putting his family first.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The notion that 'Manipulative Meghan has snatched dupe Harry away from his family, and OUR royal family' makes for a useful distraction - the press has chosen its scapegoat and, at the heart of this matter, longstanding press misbehaviour is to blame. Naturally, the public has fallen into line by blaming the 'scheming female'.

InfiniteBoredom

The notion that 'Manipulative Meghan has snatched dupe Harry away from his family, and OUR royal family' makes for a useful distraction - the press has chosen its scapegoat and, at the heart of this matter, longstanding press misbehaviour is to blame. Naturally, the public has fallen into line by blaming the 'scheming female'.
To be fair, blaming a woman for a man’s woes is a practice not limited to the modern press.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
As an outsider, it's puzzling to me that some in the UK seem to me adopting the tone of someone in an employment dispute. As in, "if they don't do X then they shouldn't get Y and Z". When I would have thought that the key thing about royalty is that they get Y and Z simply by virtue of being who they are. Prince Harry isn't obliged to earn his royal status by doing what the public wants, he was born with it. If taxpayers don't like having to pay security for a prince whose actions they disagree with then that's an argument for not having princes really. Once you do have them, this is the kind of thing you'll have to put up with.
It is completely illogical, with the public feeling they have ownership of them, hence the press narrative of Meghan stealing Harry. People's indignation about them continuing to receive public funding is odd and in parts hypocritical, with conflicting views, eg some are repulsed by the privilege, but equally as pissed if Harry isn't at least unveiling plaques to open hospital wings etc...to earn it.
The other weird thing is that despite the level of privilege they have, I doubt I know anyone that would fancy having their life and the limitations and strictures they have to live within.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
They're not that rich arent they?

Meghan's filmography is of a clist actress until suits come along.

I still think it's inappropriate for meghan to snatch away harry like that from his family and duty. This is what she marries herself into. Being a royals has been what Harry's doing.

And I'm not even brits.
Apparently Meghan couldn't deal with life in Britan and at the same time wears the pants in the relationship.

Sweet Square

This is the only interesting thing about the current state of things.

We seem to be in a constant cycle of right wingers getting very angry at the outcomes of a system, they hold dearly to their hearts.

Last edited:

Ivor Ballokov

It is completely illogical, with the public feeling they have ownership of them, hence the press narrative of Meghan stealing Harry. People's indignation about them continuing to receive public funding is odd and in parts hypocritical, with conflicting views, eg some are repulsed by the privilege, but equally as pissed if Harry isn't at least unveiling plaques to open hospital wings etc...to earn it.
The other weird thing is that despite the level of privilege they have, I doubt I know anyone that would fancy having their life and the limitations and strictures they have to live within.
Like the limitations placed on poor Prince Andrew, partying, having sex with numerous young women, going to Pizza express?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My Brexit voting Dad/Step-mum tried talking to me about this earlier. I don't really care about it to be honest, but of course they do.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Ol' Charles must have offered Meghan a bit of spotted dick and she took it the wrong way.

Either way, must have had some terrible Christmas presents.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
interesting POV: Original post* ChristieLee - Mum. That’s a bad word via facebook

One day a woman gave up her lucrative career that she loved, worked hard for and excelled at as well as earning millions to be with the man that she loves.
She made the decision, which I am positive was extremely emotional, to pack up her entire life, kiss her loved ones good bye and moved to an entirely different country to be with the man she loves.
She said goodbye to her single mother who raised her on her own and life as she knew it to be with the man she loves.
She gave up any ounce of privacy she had once enjoyed and took on the role gracefully and without hesitation to be with the man she loves.
She is constantly scrutinised, bullied and vilified by the media and is the constant target of relentless racism. The tabloid headlines are vile and sickening to read but the people revel in that kind of hatred toward her but she still shows up, she still smiles for the cameras and she never waivers in her support for her husband. She endures to be with the man she loves.
She chose to carry the baby that both her and her husband wanted, suffering through morning sickness, extreme hormonal changes, aches and pains and all the added risks of pregnancy when under extreme pressure.
She was called too fat, too old and too pretentious for protectively holding her growing belly as she grew a human being inside of her, she knew she would no longer be in control of her own body all the while being called a liar who was faking her pregnancy. All to be with the man she loves.
She went through postpartum anxiety and NEARLY broke down in a public interview, she was not offered love and support from the public instead she was called a drama queen!
Accused of just being a great actor capable of crocodile tears yet, only after years of having her acting abilities scrutinised, but she continued to be the pillar of strength in the public eye and raising her baby boy, to be with the man she loves.
The world never bat an eyelid over everything she gave up. The entire world chewed her up, spat her out and then demanded more.
One day a man said he would not be bullied into playing a game that killed his beloved mum. He and his wife made the choice to put theirs and their childs mental health and well-being first.
That grown man ,who is very capable of making his own choices, decided to give up his career to be with the woman he loves.
And the entire world went mad...

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
interesting POV: Original post* ChristieLee - Mum. That’s a bad word via facebook

One day a woman gave up her lucrative career that she loved, worked hard for and excelled at as well as earning millions to be with the man that she loves.
She made the decision, which I am positive was extremely emotional, to pack up her entire life, kiss her loved ones good bye and moved to an entirely different country to be with the man she loves.
She said goodbye to her single mother who raised her on her own and life as she knew it to be with the man she loves.
She gave up any ounce of privacy she had once enjoyed and took on the role gracefully and without hesitation to be with the man she loves.
She is constantly scrutinised, bullied and vilified by the media and is the constant target of relentless racism. The tabloid headlines are vile and sickening to read but the people revel in that kind of hatred toward her but she still shows up, she still smiles for the cameras and she never waivers in her support for her husband. She endures to be with the man she loves.
She chose to carry the baby that both her and her husband wanted, suffering through morning sickness, extreme hormonal changes, aches and pains and all the added risks of pregnancy when under extreme pressure.
She was called too fat, too old and too pretentious for protectively holding her growing belly as she grew a human being inside of her, she knew she would no longer be in control of her own body all the while being called a liar who was faking her pregnancy. All to be with the man she loves.
She went through postpartum anxiety and NEARLY broke down in a public interview, she was not offered love and support from the public instead she was called a drama queen!
Accused of just being a great actor capable of crocodile tears yet, only after years of having her acting abilities scrutinised, but she continued to be the pillar of strength in the public eye and raising her baby boy, to be with the man she loves.
The world never bat an eyelid over everything she gave up. The entire world chewed her up, spat her out and then demanded more.
One day a man said he would not be bullied into playing a game that killed his beloved mum. He and his wife made the choice to put theirs and their childs mental health and well-being first.
That grown man ,who is very capable of making his own choices, decided to give up his career to be with the woman he loves.
And the entire world went mad...
Nonsense, I don't know how you can support the snatcher

Classical Mechanic

I guess that doesn't work because Harry was caught on camera asking the head of Disney for some voice over work for her which she subsequently got.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Any reason why this has garnered more outrage in the media than Andrew’s kiddie fiddling endeavours?
Tapping into racism and nationalism is probably a lot more popular than going after a rich old white guy for messing with girls.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Because he didnt do anything against us the good public. Whereas Harry and Meghan have STOLEN FROM US and ARE UNGRATEFUL.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I guess that doesn't work because Harry was caught on camera asking the head of Disney for some voice over work for her which she subsequently got.
Isn’t her pay for the voiceover work going to Charity though? In any case I imagine now Markle's viewpoint on work has changed since when she first married Harry.

Classical Mechanic

Isn’t her pay for the voiceover work going to Charity though? In any case I imagine now Markle's viewpoint on work has changed since when she first married Harry.
It did go to charity but its still questionable abuse of Harry's position and influence to get his wife jobs in her chosen field. The fact that the money went to charity is simply a shield from criticism. They don't need income from a job like this as they're taxpayer funded (£2.4m on their home renovations and £32m on their wedding for example) and they also get a nice yearly payout from Charles from his massive inherited land wealth.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It did go to charity but its still questionable abuse of Harry's position and influence to get his wife jobs in her chosen field. The fact that the money went to charity is simply a shield from criticism. They don't need income from a job like this as they're taxpayer funded (£2.4m on their home renovations and £32m on their wedding for example) and they also get a nice yearly payout from Charles from his massive inherited land wealth.
Agree it is questionable of Harry's position and criticism is still worthy. It was more that things have changed quite a bit for the couple since they first got together (which I presume the quoted comment was initially about) especially if they choose to not rely on tax-payer funded income whenever that might be.

pacifictheme

Pretty naive to think significant amounts of work aren't gained in this way by people from all walks of life.

Kaos

What kiddie fiddling endeavours were they then, a lot of people seem to have misread the Prince Andrew stories!
Give him the benefit of the doubt then and just assume the worst thing he did was happily spend the night at a known convicted pedophiles residence, and engaged in some contentious sexual activity. Is that really considered more forgivable than a prince deciding he’s had enough of the media and wants to feck off?

Classical Mechanic

Pretty naive to think significant amounts of work aren't gained in this way by people from all walks of life.
Sure, getting caught doing it is the problem when you're in the Royal family, however. It was pretty amazing how easily his influence worked as well

'do you know my wife does voice overs too'

'she's got the job'

pacifictheme

Sure, getting caught doing it is the problem when you're in the Royal family, however. It was pretty amazing how easily his influence worked as well

'do you know my wife does voice overs too'

'she's got the job'
Yeah. But its only an issue if people decide to take issue with it. I don't see it as an issue more than anyone else getting their wife, son, daughter, nephew etc a job.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah. But its only an issue if people decide to take issue with it. I don't see it as an issue more than anyone else getting their wife, son, daughter, nephew etc a job.
You can say that about literally anything. Plenty of people would take issue with a senior royal doing that, including other senior royals, which I suspect is a big reason they're stepping back, to have more control over their professional destinies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Because in the deepest darkest part of the gutter trash psyche and the gammon they feed - Andrew being a nonce doesn't really matter, her being black and daring to marry a Prince - that's the real problem.
Touche.
Queen pretends as if Andrew isn't under investigation for touching up young girls while she call crisis meeting cause a man wants to leave town when his wife is being harassed.

Smores

I get confused are we allowed to call people angry at all this idiots? It would be a useful proxy insult given they're all brexiteer tory voters anyway.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Does anyone else see parallels with this and Cersei's trial? The Queen and all of Harry's adult rivals to the throne gathered in one room..

DavidDeSchmikes

A statement from Her Majesty The Queen.

Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.

My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.

Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.

It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.

These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What final decisions?