Has political correctness actually gone mad?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Honest question : Does anyone every talk about cultural appropriation offline? I’ve never experienced a single person actually giving a Fcuk about it in reality. It forever feels like an online construct rather than a reality.

Adult conversations in the real world tend to revolve around authenticity rather than appropriation, then judge accordingly. Exploitation and Appreciation have been stupidly smashed together and posited as Appropriation. Idiots seem to throw Race into it online, all the while they celebrate Drake, perhaps the worlds biggest culture vulture.

Without doubt it’s complicated, there are many dickheads in the world, but the framing online is completely divorced from the real world experience.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
What does that question have to do with your previous question?
I'm just wondering if Post Malone might have had people with a similar hairstyles in his ancestry. I don't know if he has any viking ancestry, I'm just trying to show how illogical it is ban someone from having a hairstyle because of their race

shaky

Honest question : Does anyone every talk about cultural appropriation offline? I’ve never experienced a single person actually giving a Fcuk about it in reality. It forever feels like an online construct rather than a reality.

Adult conversations in the real world tend to revolve around authenticity rather than appropriation, then judge accordingly. Exploitation and Appreciation have been stupidly smashed together and posited as Appropriation. Idiots seem to throw Race into it online, all the while they celebrate Drake, perhaps the worlds biggest culture vulture.

Without doubt it’s complicated, there are many dickheads in the world, but the framing online is completely divorced from the real world experience.
It's just another one of the many new phrases people online use to try and dictate what other people can and cannot do. Some folk are just born bossy and like to try telling everyone else how they should live, despite it being absolutely none of their business. Before the internet, these folk probably just bothered their neighbour or local village committee. Now they can get a virtual audience and do it worldwide. Must be heaven for them.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
There's a fine line between appropriation and appreciation. If someone wants to celebrate another person's culture without adapting their lifestyle then it should be viewed as a positive. The cases where they try to act and pretend that they are of that particular race are the ones that need scrutiny. Beyonce wearing a sari or Minaj wearing a kimono are all just artists appreciating a particular culture. Post wearing braids goes with his whole look and he'll still be awesome with our without it. He isn't tanning or trying to look darker. People are too sensitive these days and are always looking to cancel people for simply adapting a style. Cancel those who adapt a whole culture and are pretending they're that race.
I have an aunt who is white and she wore a sari at her wedding. I guess she would be accused of cultural appropriation too ?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm just wondering if Post Malone might have had people with a similar hairstyles in his ancestry. I don't know if he has any viking ancestry, I'm just trying to show how illogical it is ban someone from having a hairstyle because of their race
If he has Irish heritage then he could maybe argue that tattoos/braided/dreadlocked hair is something you’d see on his celtic ancestors.

Seems to be a thorny topic though. Just googling “celt dreadlocks” drops you smack bang in the middle of endless online bickering. There’s evidently a lot of people who think this stuff is all VERY. IMPORTANT.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
If he has Irish heritage then he could maybe argue that tattoos/braided/dreadlocked hair is something you’d see on his celtic ancestors.

Seems to be a thorny topic though. Just googling “celt dreadlocks” drops you smack bang in the middle of endless online bickering. There’s evidently a lot of people who think this stuff is all VERY. IMPORTANT.
So people have to do a whole DNA analysis now before they can braid their hair?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As white people, we should probably apologise for Halloween costumes over the years.

Peter van der Gea

So then did the Afro-American's culturally appropriate from the celts? That's not a serious question. It's not cultural appropriation, it's fashion choices.

I can give you another "cultural appropriation", silk. The Chinese tried to keep it secret for centuries.

Peter van der Gea

It's dreadful, isn't it, and hardly unexpected. Completely managed to wash over the actual issue without fail.
What's the issue? That Jesy should have studied American black history before she got a tan on holiday and braided her hair?

If that's your opinion, fine, but also demand that anyone wearing a wig of straight black hair studies the histories of India and China.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Who has asked Jesy for an apology? I simply stated why she's faced criticism, but you are being obtuse or intentionally misunderstanding because I believe I've explained it to you on 3 separate occasions now.

From my perspective, I simply want black women to be appreciated when they do and wear the same things that white women get appreciated for when they take those same things from a different culture.
Let's start there and the conversations about cultural appropriation will go away.
And once again, that hair doesn't only get sent to black women, but white women (and possibly other races) who also wear wigs.
Do you have sources that prove this isn't the case today?

Peter van der Gea

I think it's made more difficult with musical artists because of the influence record companies have on their image.
And there, if it was a corporate decision, I could see the case of cynical exploitation of black culture, but if its just the way she likes to dress, then it's just fashion

hobbers

You have to wonder if a lot of the fuss about cultural appropriation is kicked off by people who don’t really care about it but see an opportunity to score points in the culture war.
Bingo. It's just another twitter fad.

Peter van der Gea

Guys, I'm sorry. I had therapy today and I was on one a bit.

If I've offended anyone, I'm really sorry.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah i'm at my limit on here personally, no point engaging going forward.
I get it. Why bother expend the energy giving your perspective on an emotive subject when nobody really listens? A very pertinent pov I might add given the subject. You tried to shed light on the latest post in this mess of a thread, politely and articulately, and were met with handwaving and whataboutery.

If the mission is to dissolution and silence then... Mission accomplished I guess. If it's to gain understanding on a subject that is not understood? Spectacular failure...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I get it. Why bother expend the energy giving your perspective on an emotive subject when nobody really listens? A very pertinent pov I might add given the subject. You tried to shed light on the latest post in this mess of a thread, politely and articulately, and were met with handwaving and whataboutery.

If the mission is to dissolution and silence then... Mission accomplished I guess. If it's to gain understanding on a subject that is not understood? Spectacular failure...
Very true, thanks for your words as always :)
@OL29 you too!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
All the drama, moralising and apologies in here because some girl got braids and a tan. :lol:

The last few pages of this would make pretty good material for the hypernorm thread.