g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Has political correctness actually gone mad?

shaky

Pot kettle black and all that.

You'll notice that my second paragraph was more general, but I'll accept that I could have formulated it differently.

Speaking of assumptions, though, you rocked up with the erroneous assumption that "cultural appropriation" is some new internet term, and said it was people being born bossy trying to dictate how people can look and what they can wear. That's both ignorant, and shows that you've done nothing to try and understand the issue. Just a quick scan of the discussion that took place before you posted would have let you know that it's a complex issue that's got very little to do with bossing anyone around or dictating anything.
I've had the cultural appropriation discussion many times and not once have I heard any argument to dissuade me from the opinion that it is a manufactured problem, perpetuated by people looking to cause drama where none exists. Live and let live, or go around trying to impose rules, based on your own arbitrary standards, for everyone else, whatever floats your boat I guess. People are entitled to be offended by whatever they please, but we certainly do not have an obligation to agree with them. Their personal opinions on a subject certainly don't speak for the opinions of everyone else from that demographic either. My own anecdotal evidence is that the vast majority of people, from a wide variety of backgrounds, don't give a crap about any of it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
My love/hate relationship with Summers has always been very much weighted to one side, but even that is getting too much to sustain. What a fecking clown he is. He should adapt the Friedman rule to his speech and set it to 0 %.
But is he wrong?

Halftrack

I've had the cultural appropriation discussion many times and not once have I heard any argument to dissuade me from the opinion that it is a manufactured problem, perpetuated by people looking to cause drama where none exists. Live and let live, or go around trying to impose rules, based on your own arbitrary standards, for everyone else, whatever floats your boat I guess. People are entitled to be offended by whatever they please, but we certainly do not have an obligation to agree with them. Their personal opinions on a subject certainly don't speak for the opinions of everyone else from that demographic either. My own anecdotal evidence is that the vast majority of people, from a wide variety of backgrounds, don't give a crap about any of it.
Which leads us neatly into yet another issue: demanding minorities explain issues and justify their feelings, then dismissing them anyway.

You've already shown that you have a very limited understanding of the issues surrounding blackfishing, cultural appropriation and the commodification of black culture. You still think it's about dictating what people can wear and how they can express themselves, and not about how the wider Western culture is happy to pick and choose aspects of black culture and expressions to adopt, while black people are still marginalised and fighting for equal footing.

To dismiss it all as dramamongering, manufactured outrage, being bossy, wanting to dictate others or fascism, as one insinuated, is incredibly disrespectful. It shouldn't be hard to understand why someone would find frustrating, insulting and/or upsetting to see society so readily adopt your culture, while being far more reluctant to accept you as a person.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Woke ideology and CRT leftists can no longer poison texan children

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
the wider Western culture is happy to pick and choose aspects of black culture and expressions to adopt, while black people are still marginalised and fighting for equal footing.
Help me understand this. At what point will black people be no longer “marginalised and fighting for equal footing”? Do you think this will happen in any of our lifetimes? It seems to me that so long as the overwhelming majority of people in any given country are white then that struggle will continue for black citizens of that same country. Obviously we’ve come a hell of a long way but it’s really hard to imagine a scenario where we’ve achieved absolute perfection on this issue.

So, bearing that in mind, will any white girl who chooses to plump out her lips, or gets a dark tan always be guilty of offensive behaviour? Or any white bloke who really loves hip hop and dresses like his favourite hip hop artist? Because that just seems an incredibly low bar for taking offence. And it also perpetuates the above scenario where equality is unachievable, so long as what most reasonable people would consider trivial behaviour is deemed completely inappropriate. When it’s that easy to cause offence then it’s basically impossible to imagine a future where no offence is ever caused or taken.

Last edited:

Hammondo

It is cultural appropriation but it is only damaging when the dominate culture appropriates from the minority culture. Much the same as someone calling me (living in a predominantly white country) whitey might be insulting or upsetting but doesn't disempower me in the way me disparaging an indigenous person would based on their skin colour, so it isn't of sufficient concern to worry about.
How is it damaging? To whom? In what way?

Hammondo

It is cultural appropriation but it is only damaging when the dominate culture appropriates from the minority culture. Much the same as someone calling me (living in a predominantly white country) whitey might be insulting or upsetting but doesn't disempower me in the way me disparaging an indigenous person would based on their skin colour, so it isn't of sufficient concern to worry about.
I do not even think not doing cultural appropriation is possible.

Hammondo

I have a tan however skin color, hairstyles etc don't belong to anyone. Unless someone is mocking your culture while trying to look like you, I don't see the problem. If Henry Caville wants to be more brown like me, it's his wish. I can't think of why I'd bring British rule/colonial crimes into the picture.
No one can own culture I agree, also culture is constantly changing and is often supported heavily by other cultures who adopt them.

Rap is a good example of it.

Halftrack

Help me understand this. At what point will black people be no longer “marginalised and fighting for equal footing”? Do you think this will happen in any of our lifetimes? It seems to me that so long as the overwhelming majority of people in any given country are white then that struggle will continue for black citizens of that same country. Obviously we’ve come a hell of a long way but it’s really hard to imagine a scenario where we’ve achieved absolute perfection on this issue.
I don't know, no one does. That doesn't prevent us from trying to improve as a society.
So, bearing that in mind, will any white girl who chooses to plump out her lips, or gets a dark tan always be guilty of offensive behaviour? Or any white bloke who really loves hip hop and dresses like his favourite hip hop artist? Because that just seems an incredibly low bar for taking offence. And it also perpetuates the above scenario where equality is unachievable, so long as what most reasonable people would consider trivial behaviour is deemed completely inappropriate. When it’s that easy to cause offence then it’s basically impossible to imagine a future where no offence is ever caused or taken.
I'm white as the driven snow, so those are not questions for me to answer. Instead, I'll refer you back to villain's informative posts on the issue. In addition, I'll add this by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar:
Appreciating an individual item from a culture doesn’t translate into accepting the whole people. While high-priced cornrows on a white celebrity on the red carpet at the Oscars is chic, those same cornrows on the little black girl in Watts, Los Angeles, are a symbol of her ghetto lifestyle. A white person looking black gets a fashion spread in a glossy magazine; a black person wearing the same thing gets pulled over by the police. One can understand the frustration.

Another aspect that infuriates many African-Americans: what white culture deems worthy to borrow is often so narrow that it perpetuates negative stereotypes rather than increases racial appreciation. Underwear sticking out of pants? Hip-hop language? Twerking? An unintended byproduct is that white people, feeling aglow in One-Worldness brought on by taking a hip-hop exercise class, forget the serious state of racial inequality that still exists and needs to be constantly addressed. In the face of being shamed and persecuted, African-Americans have cultivated art and fashion to maintain pride in who they are, so to see other cultures take this and profit from it while still allowing the shame and persecution to persist makes us want to holler.
To not be completely useless, i'll at least add some words of my own: The impression I get is that the issue isn't so much with the individuals doing it (unless they're doing it specifically to look mixed race or black, or create some ambiguity around their ethnicity, so as to be able to pass as mixed race or black), but the culture perpetuating it.

On villain's point about beauty standards specifically, those are in large part driven by the media, and pretty much change from decade to decade. Those we (as a society) can change, well within our lifetimes.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Since fecking when is the holocaust a widely debated and currently controversial issue?

Gina Peddy is a Nazi.
they made a bill that everything "controversial" (like racism, since these bills were written during the "critical race theory" culture war) needed to be discussed had to be taught from both sides.
(screenshot of the law)

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Regarding the whole blackfishing thing, I mean, she's hardly "just got a tan" or "just wearing an item of clothing" ffs.

From

To

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Regarding the whole blackfishing thing, I mean, she's hardly "just got a tan" or "just wearing an item of clothing" ffs.

From

To

I think i'm too old to get worked up over something like that.

Eyepopper

Yeah, based on that second photo she’s permed her hair. Outrageous behaviour.
Are you honestly saying if you saw those second and third photos you wouldn't assume she was black/mixed race?

It's obviously done intentionally and the look she's going for.

I think it's weird as hell.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You need to evolve to the point where a pop star getting a perm and a trout pout fills you with rage.

EDIT: I use the word “star” in its loosest possible sense.
I've never really been able to get worked up about fashion and celebrities.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Fair enough on people thinking darkening their skin is dodgy (well, extreme darkening) but it's so fecking stupid to think each race should have their own basket of hairstyles that no-one else can use.

Nothing wrong with her or Adele having cornrows/braids.

Pogue Mahone

You think I'm filled with rage, or worked up in any way?

I just think its weird as feck.
I don’t think you’re filled with rage, no. I do think you seem more perplexed by a pop star changing her look than you need to be. She probably just had some stylist tell her she should try a more “urban” look and it progressed from there.

Eyepopper

I don’t think you’re filled with rage, no. I do think you seem more perplexed by a pop star changing her look than you need to be. She probably just had some stylist tell her she should try a more “urban” look and it progressed from there.
I've made like 5 posts on the topic. I'm not obsessing or losing sleep over it.

I just find it strange that, considering how PC the world is now, someone thinks portraying yourself as being a different race would be a good idea, or not offensive to people of that race.

We're Irish FFS, we lose our shit when Americans say St Pattys day or put on leprechaun costumes, imagine how we'd feel if Samual L Jackson dyed his hair red and started speaking with a thick West Kerry accent.

Pogue Mahone

I just find it strange that, considering how PC the world is now, someone thinks portraying yourself as being a different race would be a good idea, or not offensive to people of that race.

We're Irish FFS, we lose our shit when Americans say St Pattys day or put on leprechaun costumes, imagine how we'd feel if Samual L Jackson dyed his hair red and started speaking with a thick West Kerry accent.
Bit random but reminds me of this.

Appropriation of accents is a whole other kettle of fish. Inner city English white kids have been trying to sound like yardies for ages.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

Hectic

Supports
30fps

I've had it with these motherfeckin' schnakes on this motherfeckin' plane!

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak

Out of interest, what race do you think she looks like?

Halftrack

You need to evolve to the point where a pop star getting a perm and a trout pout fills you with rage.

EDIT: I use the word “star” in its loosest possible sense.
I view being able to put aside pre-conceived notions (such as thinking this particular issue is some recently made up thing by people who want to dictate to others how to look and what to wear) and make an effort to actually understand the issue (especially when it's clear they've never done so before) as evolving, or at least attempting to. This was clearly outrageous of me, and for that I apologise.

You keep acting like you want to understand, but when you get explanations, you ignore them and just repeat the same idiocy over and over, so maybe the reason you take issue with it is that your incapable of evolving?