Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I view being able to put aside pre-conceived notions (such as thinking this particular issue is some recently made up thing by people who want to dictate to others how to look and what to wear) and make an effort to actually understand the issue (especially when it's clear they've never done so before) as evolving, or at least attempting to. This was clearly outrageous of me, and for that I apologise.

You keep acting like you want to understand, but when you get explanations, you ignore them and just repeat the same idiocy over and over, so maybe the reason you take issue with it is that your incapable of evolving?
Might be a radical concept in online discourse but I try to do my best to understand alternative opinions before I can decide if I agree or disagree with them. If you consider this an effort to evolve then well done me, I guess.

Ironic that you need this spelled out to you in response to post where you accuse me of idiocy.

Halftrack

Might be a radical concept in online discourse but I try to do my best to understand alternative opinions before I can decide if I agree or disagree with them. If you consider this an effort to evolve then well done me, I guess.

Ironic that you need this spelled out to you in response to post where you accuse me of idiocy.
Yet you've been taking sly digs at my choice of wording in describing exactly what it is you're claiming that you're trying to do. Maybe you could have tried a bit harder to understand what I was getting at?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yet you've been taking sly digs at my choice of wording in describing exactly what it is you're claiming that you're trying to do. Maybe you could have tried a bit harder to understand what I was getting at?
You seem to think evolving involves other people coming around to your point of view. So you shouldn’t be too surprised when people with differing opinions find this hard to take seriously, as this puts you on a pedestal - “more evolved than thou”

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
In all seriousness though there has to be something off with a person's mental health if they think that it's okay to transform into a whole other race. Copying fashion and style is quite normal but when a person wants to adapt everything pertaining to a certain race then they're at a whole other level.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
they made a bill that everything "controversial" (like racism, since these bills were written during the "critical race theory" culture war) needed to be discussed had to be taught from both sides.
(screenshot of the law)
Calling the holocaust controversial. Understatement level over 9000.

Halftrack

You seem to think evolving involves other people coming around to your point of view. So you shouldn’t be too surprised when people with differing opinions find this hard to take seriously, as this puts you on a pedestal - “more evolved than thou”
Here's the relevant bit:
But I guess dismissing it as people being "born bossy" and pretending like it isn't a thing is easier than listening and trying to understand.

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I know by now that this forum has a contingent of posters who have no interest in evolving as human beings and will readily dismiss any minority perspective on any topic, lest they'd be forced to reckon with their own ignorance, biases or problematic behaviours.
The bit in bold is key here. Understanding does not equal agreement. I believe my subsequent posts have also all centered on understanding. What prompted this was several posters coming in, after black posters had explained the issue in depth, and dismissing it out of hand, the most egregious of which displayed complete ignorance of the issue in doing so. As I've said, I consider someone setting aside any pre-conceived notions they might have about an issue, acknowledging their own ignorance, and trying to understand as evolving. Maybe that makes it sound much grander than it is, perhaps I could have referred to it as "being open-minded" or "not being a fecking asshole", but regardless, I never suggested that they had to agree with me or anyone else.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Here's the relevant bit:

The bit in bold is key here. Understanding does not equal agreement. I believe my subsequent posts have also all centered on understanding. What prompted this was several posters coming in, after black posters had explained the issue in depth, and dismissing it out of hand, the most egregious of which displayed complete ignorance of the issue in doing so. As I've said, I consider someone setting aside any pre-conceived notions they might have about an issue, acknowledging their own ignorance, and trying to understand as evolving. Maybe that makes it sound much grander than it is, perhaps I could have referred to it as "being open-minded" or "not being a fecking asshole", but regardless, I never suggested that they had to agree with me or anyone else.
I'm assuming that I'm one of those who may have come across as dismissive. If so, I'm sorry, that's not my intention.

Thing is though, she does not look black, not even vaguely black. Italian, Brazilian, Indian, Persian, mixed race, but not black. Her skin is too light and her curls too big. And actually, with skin lightening foundations, hair straightening and weaves, contouring, etc, you could say a number of black women are trying to look Italian/Brazilian/Indian/Persian. So who's appropriating who's culture?

I have listened, and I get that you feel that (white) people are cherry picking aspects that you feel are exclusive to your culture and are getting praise whereas you don't for the same fashion and behaviours, but what aspects are exclusive? And if they're not exclusive, when you claim them, aren't you taking them away from the other cultures.

Big lips? Lots of Indians have big lips. Latte brown skin? That's anyone from the tropics, and not really Bantu African colour. Baggy jeans? Basketball tops? Trucker hats? Music with a beat? Braided hair? Talking over a beat?

I am disgusted by how black people have been treated and still are being treated, but they aren't the only group who have been marginalised and abused, and these features or fashions are not exclusive to them. Cultures are constantly merging and borrowing, how can you say from which culture they have come from?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I speak English, so if I call New Zealand that, am I appropriating their language?
When has speaking a native's language as a foreigner ever been an insult? Unless you are attempting to ask a Gendarme how to find the Gare du Nord in schoolboy French.

Peter van der Gea

When has speaking a native's language as a foreigner ever been an insult? Unless you are attempting to ask a Gendarme how to find the Gare du Nord in schoolboy French.
Well, I don't even know schoolboy Maori, so I'd probably feck up the pronunciation

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Well, I don't even know schoolboy Maori, so I'd probably feck up the pronunciation
Ao TeaRoa I gathered from Wiki. People usually appreciate the effort. Unless they are a Paris Gendarme being a cnut.

Peter van der Gea

Ao TeaRoa I gathered from Wiki. People usually appreciate the effort. Unless they are a Paris Gendarme being a cnut.
Google says : Sounds like au·tay·uh·row·uh

Which is different.

Who should I trust? Google or Wikipedia?! They're both so trustworthy!!

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Google says : Sounds like au·tay·uh·row·uh

Which is different.

Who should I trust? Google or Wikipedia?! They're both so trustworthy!!
I'll use the Wiki one and you use the Google one. It's an effort well made either way.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Unless one of our pronunciations translates to cussing someone's mother. Those Maori dudes are big.
Stereotyping Maori now? I don't know but I feel confident I'm not going to insult anyone :lol:

Steven Seagull

I previously assumed it would be more offensive to point out that her clothes/nails/hair are “black”

If I saw somebody looking daft like her I wouldn’t dare say anything like why are you dressed like a black person. Surely that’s worse?

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
The one I've noticed lately is people describing animal's owners as "their humans". Wonder do they need a licence for that?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hardly PC gone mad, but this seems like the place to post it.

A 17 year old pizza courier has filed charges against two 25 year old women for sexually harassing him when he delivired their pizza. They opened the door in lingery and proceeded to grab him in the crotch and told him, this is our dream, this is your dream, we want you blabla. Obviously a very wrong thing to do.

The twist however; the perps are two exceedingly hot FHM models.

Doesn't make it right, but kind of took me by surprise.

Article is here: https://nos.nl/artikel/2402307-om-wil-cel-voor-vrouwen-die-pizzabezorger-17-wilden-verleiden

Though it is in Dutch.

Moby

Dick

A 17 year old pizza courier has filed charges against two 25 year old women for sexually harassing him when he delivired their pizza. They opened the door in lingery and proceeded to grab him in the crotch and told him, this is our dream, this is your dream, we want you blabla. Obviously a very wrong thing to do.

Article is here: https://nos.nl/artikel/2402307-om-wil-cel-voor-vrouwen-die-pizzabezorger-17-wilden-verleiden

Though it is in Dutch.
Nothing gone mad. That's a valid sexual harassment (assault if they grabbed him?) charge.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Though it is in Dutch.
Particularly grim that this kid will be and presumably has already been mocked for being sexually harassed and assaulted by two people quite a lot older than him whilst he was trying to do his job.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nothing gone mad. That's a valid sexual harassment (assault if they grabbed him?) charge.
Yes, hence my first sentence. Didn't seem thread worthy and #metoo allegations are for celebs..they're facing jailtime.

Edit: more info came out. Apparantly the event was especially traumatising for the kid since he has been molested when he was younger.

Re the mocking, this is especially what some shite Dutch media are doing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Though it is in Dutch.
It's a strange case. The truth is it would've been a lot of men's dream, but I guess if you go grabbing people's bits without consent you're crossing a line.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's a strange case. The truth is it would've been a lot of men's dream, but I guess if you go grabbing people's bits without consent you're crossing a line.
Apparantly the kid had been molested before. He was absolutely devestated by this.

Really horrible in more ways than one.