Has political correctness actually gone mad?

RedTiger

Half mast
And you are completely ignoring that Indian women today are having to cut off their hair because of the economic capitalistic oppression imposed by the west.
I always thought that the Indian hair came from women shaving their heads in temple rituals and the hair is then sold on by temple authorities.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Indian women don't sell their hair through financial compulsion, do they?

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I always thought that the Indian hair came from women shaving their heads in temple rituals and the hair is then sold on by temple authorities.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Indian women don't sell their hair through financial compulsion, do they?
Massively. What you're talking about is a tiny part of the subcontinent of India.

India is big, which means that when there's poor people, there's lots of poor people. Have you seen the length of the strands of the wig hair? That's a one shot. You don't sell that hair twice. Selling hair is a last resort. Actually, it's not the last, just one on a slippery slope.

And even if it was "Indian hair came from women shaving their heads in temple rituals and the hair is then sold on by temple authorities" , that's a social structure selling the body parts of their congregation. Isn't that a bit of a fecked up trade?

RedTiger

Half mast
Massively. What you're talking about is a tiny part of the subcontinent of India.

India is big, which means that when there's poor people, there's lots of poor people. Have you seen the length of the strands of the wig hair? That's a one shot. You don't sell that hair twice. Selling hair is a last resort. Actually, it's not the last, just one on a slippery slope.

And even if it was "Indian hair came from women shaving their heads in temple rituals and the hair is then sold on by temple authorities" , that's a social structure selling the body parts of their congregation. Isn't that a bit of a fecked up trade?
100%. I was just assuming that they never get monetary compensation for the hair which I agree is fecked.

Tarrou

Can you show me a case of "cultural appropriation" that is not white people stealing black culture?
people reproducing aboriginal art for mass production here in Australia

thus stealing a revenue stream for the aboriginal artists here

there are loads of other genuine examples of course, if you care to do some research

lets not pretend that just because some people use CA for point-scoring on Twitter that it isn't a genuine issue (I do think a lot of the stuff we see online is basically horse-shit)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Something that only exist on the internet.
Huh? People only pretend to be black/mixed race online? That doesn't make any sense. Just because you watch things on the TV news doesn't mean the events that you watch only occur on TV.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is it cultural appropriation for black women to straighten their hair, contour their noses to make them more aquiline, or wear wigs made of the hair of Indian hair?

One of the biggest selling beauty products in India is bleaching cream, is that cultural appropriation?

What about a Chinese person with a perm, is that allowed?

To be honest, it only seems to get called cultural appropriation when it's white people doing black people stuff. All of the other cultures are ignored and black people have free range to pick whatever they want from other cultures.

@villain has mentioned repeatedly that its about taking how people are taking fashion from black people without truly understanding the pain that those fashions are intertwined with, but how many black women think about the destitute Indian women that are selling their hair for food that can be used for hair extensions?

No culture exists on its own, there needs to be cultural interchange for a culture to survive and grow. That inevitably leads to cross contamination. People are picking on Jesy because she is an easy target, but if you want cultural isolation, make sure your culture isn't absorbing from another culture first, rather than having a go at a woman who has a tan because she went on a three week holiday before a video shoot!
It is cultural appropriation but it is only damaging when the dominate culture appropriates from the minority culture. Much the same as someone calling me (living in a predominantly white country) whitey might be insulting or upsetting but doesn't disempower me in the way me disparaging an indigenous person would based on their skin colour, so it isn't of sufficient concern to worry about.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Huh? People only pretend to be black/mixed race online? That doesn't make any sense. Just because you watch things on the TV news doesn't mean the events that you watch only occur on TV.
The whole “real people don’t talk about this stuff” thing is the most troubling aspect of these kinds of discourses IMO. Who are the ‘real’ people in this scenario? What is ‘real’ life, exactly?… and according to who?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The whole “real people don’t talk about this stuff” thing is the most troubling aspect of these kinds of discourses IMO. Who are the ‘real’ people in this scenario? What is ‘real’ life, exactly?… and according to who?
Real like minded and affluent people I assume :)

And real life presumably means "my life".

fergieisold

I think it comes down to it being quite unusual for many to give much thought to this. Of course, I don’t have numbers though!

fergieisold

I didn’t quite mean it literally. Seems to me that the majority of discussion on this is internet based. Maybe not surprising given the ease of that form of communication.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I didn’t quite mean it literally. Seems to me that the majority of discussion on this is internet based. Maybe not surprising given the ease of that form of communication.
That isn't what you said though. You said it only existed on the internet implying that it didn't really exist.

fergieisold

That isn't what you said though. You said it only existed on the internet implying that it didn't really exist.
Correct - but as I said I didn’t mean it quite literally. It’s certainly a concept that exists predominantly online, or atleast the discussion of it does.

It’s quite hard to find any sort of statistics on public feeling on this. I’d be interested to see opinion polls of the black community. So far it seems to be mainly a discussion in fashion based articles.

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/blackfishing-jessica-krug

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think that’s mainly down to us interacting online with a much more diverse group of people than we do in “real life”. The sort of opinions you think are “online only” are expressed all the time offline as well but you wouldn’t get exposed to them.

This also explains why the internet is a fecking war zone. Different tribes, with different opinions and values, all crushed together in a constant bickerfest. Probably for the best it’s almost always online only. If all the arguing and petty point scoring happened in front of us while we were walking to work, or sitting in a pub, life would be pretty fecking stressful.

Last edited:

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I think that’s mainly down to us interacting online with a much more diverse group of people than we do in “real life”. The sort of opinions you think are “online only” are expressed all the time offline as well but you wouldn’t get exposed to them.

This also explains why the internet is a fecking war zone. Different tribes, with different opinions and values, all crushed together in a constant bickerfest. Probably for the best it’s almost always online only. If all the arguing and petty point scoring happened in front of us while we were walking to work, or sitting in a pub, life would be pretty fecking stressful.
Not to mention we are predisposed to be drawn to and associate with people whose opinions broadly align with our own. The only places we come into contact with people of differing beliefs and opinions are extended family, workplace and the internet.

Spoony

The People's President
Sadly Jessy Nelson has got other issues. Surely in most cases it more to do with appreciation? It's cooler to be black than say wanting to be a Alan Partridge unless you're Richard Madley that is. Or Finnish. Hmmmm...and where does 'Jafaking' and generally young white kids from East London sounding more like their parents were children of West Indian immigrants, sit in all this?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How are people whinging over gay Robin boy wonder. He's the gayest superhero of all time.

fergieisold

Yeh, I think the internet has made me feel like we are all more divided than ever, when maybe that isn’t quite the case...or atleast hopefully not!

Halftrack

It's just another one of the many new phrases people online use to try and dictate what other people can and cannot do. Some folk are just born bossy and like to try telling everyone else how they should live, despite it being absolutely none of their business. Before the internet, these folk probably just bothered their neighbour or local village committee. Now they can get a virtual audience and do it worldwide. Must be heaven for them.
The phrase predates the internet, and it's been a topic for decades at this point. But I guess dismissing it as people being "born bossy" and pretending like it isn't a thing is easier than listening and trying to understand.

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I know by now that this forum has a contingent of posters who have no interest in evolving as human beings and will readily dismiss any minority perspective on any topic, lest they'd be forced to reckon with their own ignorance, biases or problematic behaviours.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The phrase predates the internet, and it's been a topic for decades at this point. But I guess dismissing it as people being "born bossy" and pretending like it isn't a thing is easier than listening and trying to understand.

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I know by now that this forum has a contingent of posters who have no interest in evolving as human beings and will readily dismiss any minority perspective on any topic, lest they'd be forced to reckon with their own ignorance, biases or problematic behaviours.
In my ignorance, I'd have assumed that determining the clothing, hairstyles, makeup etc that everyone is allowed to use based purely on whether they're the correct race or not and proclaiming moral superiority over everyone who disagrees with you would make you, y'know, a fascist - but it turns out it actually makes you an 'evolved human being'. Who knew?

I've got a lot to learn, clearly. :(

Halftrack

In my ignorance, I'd have assumed that determining the clothing, hairstyles, makeup etc that everyone is allowed to use based purely on whether they're the correct race or not and proclaiming moral superiority over everyone who disagrees with you would make you, y'know, a fascist - but it turns out it actually makes you an 'evolved human being'. Who knew?

I've got a lot to learn, clearly. :(
And you've perfectly illustrated my point, good job.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
And you've perfectly illustrated my point, good job.
Ah, alrighty. So I've actually got to double down on the moral superiority and condescension before I can truly evolve?

I'll just follow your lead and I'm sure I'll be like a pokemon with too many letters in its name in no time.

Halftrack

Ah, alrighty. So I've actually got to double down on the moral superiority and condescension before I can truly evolve?

I'll just follow your lead and I'm sure I'll be like a pokemon with too many letters in its name in no time.
You have a very roundabout way of saying that you've not put an ounce of effort into understanding the issue. villain's given a black woman's perspective on it, and if you'd actually taken the time to read and understand it, you'd know that it's not about "determining the clothing, hairstyles, makeup etc that everyone is allowed to use based purely on whether they're the correct race or not".

Instead you came in here and immediately dismissed it as drama and moralising "because some girl got braids and a tan".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Put yourselves in the shoes of someone with a tan for a change
I have a tan however skin color, hairstyles etc don't belong to anyone. Unless someone is mocking your culture while trying to look like you, I don't see the problem. If Henry Caville wants to be more brown like me, it's his wish. I can't think of why I'd bring British rule/colonial crimes into the picture.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I do think that political correctness wasn't as derogatory a term as it is now though? In The Netherlands "deugen", which loosely translates to being virtuous is now used as an insult in a similar way to being "pc".

Edit: wait I'm actually not sure if you were talking about the term political correctness anymore. Oh well.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have a tan however skin color, hairstyles etc don't belong to anyone. Unless someone is mocking your culture while trying to look like you, I don't see the problem. If Henry Caville wants to be more brown like me, it's his wish. I can't think of why I'd bring British rule/colonial crimes into the picture.
You need to evolve, apparently.

shaky

If you think I'm "not evolving as a human being" because I don't agree with dictating what other people can and can't wear, based on their skin colour, as they go about their law-abiding lives, then it sounds like your idea of personal evolution leaves a fair bit to be desired. As for "readily dismissing any minority perspective on any topic", that's an accusation you appear to have just plucked out of the air to support your wafer thin argument. The problem with the internet is that too many people on it, like yourself, are angry, and they feel they actually have a right to be abusive and insulting to people they decide to disagree with. Some will choose to bully people for their choice of clothing, others feel entitled to abuse a player they don't like or slander someone on a forum because they have differing opinions . It's not a minority vs non-minority thing. People with "problematic behaviour", as you put it, come in all colours, shapes and sizes. If you are choosing to overlook, or even enable, such behaviour because of someone's skin colour, gender or anything else, you are part of the problem. I will continue to judge people by their actions and intentions rather than by anything else.

Halftrack

As for "readily dismissing any minority perspective on any topic", that's an accusation you appear to have just plucked out of the air to support your wafer thin argument.
You came in here, ignored the minority perspectives on the topic, then shat out this.
It's just another one of the many new phrases people online use to try and dictate what other people can and cannot do. Some folk are just born bossy and like to try telling everyone else how they should live, despite it being absolutely none of their business.
And you've just now repeated that same shite.

shaky

You came in here, ignored the minority perspectives on the topic, then shat out this.

And you've just now repeated that same shite.
One comment on one topic and you decide that I "readily dismiss minority opinions on any topic"? I dismiss opinions from people based solely on whether or not the opinions hold up to any scrutiny, regardless of who voiced them. As everyone should do. Don't be pretending to stick up for minorities here. You just seem to enjoy being a bully and are probably happy for any excuse to act like one from the safety of your keyboard. You are the type of person that perpetuates online hatred, by assuming intent with zero evidence, then dishing out abuse based on your flimsy assumptions.

NotThatSoph

One comment on one topic and you decide that I "readily dismiss minority opinions on any topic"? I dismiss opinions from people based solely on whether or not the opinions hold up to any scrutiny, regardless of who voiced them. As everyone should do. Don't be pretending to stick up for minorities here. You just seem to enjoy being a bully and are probably happy for any excuse to act like one from the safety of your keyboard. You are the type of person that perpetuates online hatred, by assuming intent with zero evidence, then dishing out abuse based on your flimsy assumptions.
So perfect, inject this shit right into my veins.

Halftrack

Pot kettle black and all that.

You'll notice that my second paragraph was more general, but I'll accept that I could have formulated it differently.

Speaking of assumptions, though, you rocked up with the erroneous assumption that "cultural appropriation" is some new internet term, and said it was people being born bossy trying to dictate how people can look and what they can wear. That's both ignorant, and shows that you've done nothing to try and understand the issue. Just a quick scan of the discussion that took place before you posted would have let you know that it's a complex issue that's got very little to do with bossing anyone around or dictating anything.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Twitter is coming for the federal reserve... Whose freedom will they steal next... :nervous: :(

NotThatSoph

Twitter is coming for the federal reserve... Whose freedom will they steal next... :nervous: :(

My love/hate relationship with Summers has always been very much weighted to one side, but even that is getting too much to sustain. What a fecking clown he is. He should adapt the Friedman rule to his speech and set it to 0 %.