Has political correctness actually gone mad?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t get how sexuality is sexual. That sounds like a silly sentence but they’re not really linked. Men liking men and girls liking girls isn’t a non-child friendly fact, so why do the parents feel they need to break it to them when they’re old enough?

It sort of goes back to the stereotype of gays as being sexual deviants who are all about sex. When in reality if you let the kids find out for themselves they’d see they’re just 2 people who do everything that straight couples do together.

Anustart89

This bill is about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent. That job can only be given to you by above.

:houllier: :houllier:
Silly fools don’t know you can get pregnant from the cowgirl position.

Charlie Foley

Some people seem unhappy with Whoopi Goldberg being suspended for saying the Holocaust wasn’t about race because it was white people vs. white people. Taking aside her idiotic position, I’m unsure what a short suspension and then bringing her back in a couple of weeks does: based on her appearance on Colbert she hasn’t really learned much about it, just “i don’t want to hear about it and I won’t bring it up.”

frankly the punishment doesn’t go far enough, the whole show The View should be cancelled permanently. Not because of this but because it’s shit. What absolute ass it is

fergieisold

Some people seem unhappy with Whoopi Goldberg being suspended for saying the Holocaust wasn’t about race because it was white people vs. white people. Taking aside her idiotic position, I’m unsure what a short suspension and then bringing her back in a couple of weeks does: based on her appearance on Colbert she hasn’t really learned much about it, just “i don’t want to hear about it and I won’t bring it up.”

frankly the punishment doesn’t go far enough, the whole show The View should be cancelled permanently. Not because of this but because it’s shit. What absolute ass it is
I don’t really understand why she’s been suspended. She’s said a dumb load of shit but surely she isn’t breaking any laws expressing her dumb opinion?

flameinthesun

Didn't she come out the next day apologising saying she was wrong and that it was due to ignorance on the topic? Basically changing her opinion, unless i'm wrong.

Charlie Foley

Didn't she come out the next day apologising saying she was wrong and that it was due to ignorance on the topic? Basically changing her opinion, unless i'm wrong.
Oh, apologies, I think you’re right and I should have included that info however... I saw that Colbert clip on Twitter I’ll try to find now which I’m told was post her apology and seems a lot like she’s standing by what she said, it wasn’t about race “because the nazis lied” and people should “stop messaging her about it”

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What’s removing her going to do? For her personally I mean. They should be giving her a textbook, not sacking her.

Also unsure why people would want her removed. As if they watch it anyway.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
The inference is that only white people can be racist, which then infers that Hitler wasn't racist because the Jews weren't black.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What is the term when an ethnicity considers themselves superior to another ethnicity, even if they have the same skin color? For example, when a German thinks he's superior to a Frenchman? Or superior to a Dutchman?

I'm not gonna lie, I can see what Whoopi means from her perspective. And I think there's a valid discussion to have on how we as a society want to define commonly used terms.

How do we want to define racism? The Nazis considered the Jews an inferior race but is that different from ethnicity in their context?

Me personally, I've always understood racism in the context of skin color.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What is the term when an ethnicity considers themselves superior to another ethnicity, even if they have the same skin color? For example, when a German thinks he's superior to a Frenchman? Or superior to a Dutchman?

I'm not gonna lie, I can see what Whoopi means from her perspective. And I think there's a valid discussion to have on how we as a society want to define commonly used terms.

How do we want to define racism? The Nazis considered the Jews an inferior race but is that different from ethnicity in their context?

It's just racism.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The inference is that only white people can be racist, which then infers that Hitler wasn't racist because the Jews weren't black.
To be fair, I think she was stating that it wasn’t racism as Jews and Germans are both white. I’ve heard that as a view from someone too. Jewish is a religion and a race. The nuance between the two is enough to trip people up.

Not defending her. But I do kind of see her point. It’s an easy and lazy judgement to say that Hitler and the Nazis were universally bigoted facist white master race supremacists.

The theme of what she was stating was solid. She just has no concept or understanding of the facts at hand. On the one hand I’d say she shouldn’t be this naive as she presents a massive tv show. On the other…. She presents a massive tv show and didn’t exactly sit an exam.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

It's just racism.
In the modern colloquial, racism is probably fine. But technically, it's something more like ethno-tribalism since it's based on ethnicity rather than "race" such as if Han Chinese look down on non-Han Chinese or Mexicans discriminate against Central Americans or how some English and French view each other.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Whoopi’s confusion is understandable IMO. The modern West has tended to impose distinct categories of identity - “religion”, “race”, “nationality”, etc. - on everyone, categories which would have different implications or make little sense in terms of pre-modern identities (and in the specifically American context it seems to me that rather clear-cut racial distinctions tend to be foremost in peoples’ minds, for obvious enough reasons). Given that Jewish identity derives so much from a rich pre-modern Jewish heritage, with all its complexities, it tends to defy this modern categorization, leading in turn to misunderstandings such as this one.

In any case she apologized and that should be the end of it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think we have a way to go before we are too politically correct.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40797723.html
It’s crazy how racist we are in Ireland. I think you need to step away from it to realise how bad we are. After 12 years in London the casual racism you notice in Ireland is astonishing. Which is even more depressing when it’s combined with a big increase in ethnic diversity over that same period of time.

Not that the link above is casual racism.

Or anything to do with political correctness?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Whoopi’s confusion is understandable IMO. The modern West has tended to impose distinct categories of identity - “religion”, “race”, “nationality”, etc. - on everyone, categories which would have different implications or make little sense in terms of pre-modern identities (and in the specifically American context it seems to me that rather clear-cut racial distinctions tend to be foremost in peoples’ minds, for obvious enough reasons). Given that Jewish identity derives so much from a rich pre-modern Jewish heritage, with all its complexities, it tends to defy this modern categorization, leading in turn to misunderstandings such as this one.

In any case she apologized and that should be the end of it.
Yeah, it’s an understandable ‘mistake’. It’s also a bit weird that a lot of the shit she is getting comes from people who spend a lot of their time lecturing others on intersectionality.

Having said that didn’t the Nazis persecute POC as well as Jews? History not my strong point!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s crazy how racist we are in Ireland. I think you need to step away from it to realise how bad we are. After 12 years in London the casual racism you notice in Ireland is astonishing. Which is even more depressing when it’s combined with a big increase in ethnic diversity over that same period of time.

Not that the link above is casual racism.

Or anything to do with political correctness?
I think political correctness is to do with inclusivity on the ground, at the internet level it's just something to fight about?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
...Me personally, I've always understood racism in the context of skin color.
What?!
Racism for the Nazis had a much broader meaning. They also considered the Russians inferior despite them some of them being blonde.
I think the general racism definition just depends on there being a group in power and low-power group. The groups can be defined by skin colour, but also by hair colour, head shape etc.. But I think there does not need to be an actual difference between the groups. It is sufficient if one of the groups discriminates against the other even based on a supposed difference... like lower IQ.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What?!
Racism for the Nazis had a much broader meaning. They also considered the Russians inferior despite them some of them being blonde.
I think the general racism definition just depends on there being a group in power and low-power group. The groups can be defined by skin colour, but also by hair colour, head shape etc.. But I think there does not need to be an actual difference between the groups. It is sufficient if one of the groups discriminates against the other even based on a supposed difference... like lower IQ.
Or sexuality? Is homophobia also racism now?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Posted this in the libs of tik tok thread as a joke, but it fits into this discussion about race and how people get categorised:

entropy

What?!
they were also obsessed with the american model and tried very hard to emulate it.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Or sexuality? Is homophobia also racism now?
Me thinks yes... if for example Argentinians were thinking to kill all Uruguayans because of them being supposedly gay.
But it probably would not be racism if the Argentinians just hated the gay Argentinians, even wanting to kill them.

So, there need to be an alleged biological marker that distinguishes both groups clearly.

But, the Nazis applied there race theory even to German people ... for example gays or people with disabilities... so even in the case of Argentinian gays we might speak of racism ( in race being dependent on certain biological markers).

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Me thinks yes... if for example Argentinians were thinking to kill all Uruguayans because of them being supposedly gay.
But it probably would not be racism if the Argentinians just hated the gay Argentinians, even wanting to kill them.

So, there need to be an alleged biological marker that distinguishes both groups clearly.

But, the Nazis applied there race theory even to German people ... for example gays or people with disabilities... so even in the case of Argentinian gays we might speak of racism ( in race being dependent on certain biological markers).
Yeah they embraced a lot of post Darwin 'thinking; in this regard.

I can't recommend this enough

https://thenewpress.com/books/exterminate-all-brutes

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
they were also obsessed with the american model and tried very hard to emulate it.

Yeah, there were very few ideological differences between segregationist US and Imperialist Britain and the Nazis whe it came to race. It was only afterward depicted as an ideological war by the winners.

pablo__p

Chauvinism.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Irish, the Jews, Gypsies, and the Iberians were looked down up on by the Anglo Teutonic Europeans as inferior races.
Right. But in their world, did race mean the same as ethnicity?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Right. But in their world, did race mean the same as ethnicity?
We're all from the same world dude.

But I think so, I'm not sure of the question. I think they saw Anglo Germans as the superior, Africans as inferior and everyone in-between as varying degrees inferior to the anglo Teutons

Last edited:

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Let me rephrase it: was their definition of race, in those days, the same definition we'd use now for ethnicity?
Sort of... but then again not.
The Nazis for examples considered Germans to be 45% of Nordic race (the number might be wrong, but they did have one.) They also differentiated between North Germans and South Germans, assuming that the Northerners were more Nordic. The Nordic race was supposed to be the top of the Aryan ladder. So there were other races also considered as Aryan... just not as good as Nordics.

But, it was not a stringent theory... and it probably clashed with every day reality where ethnicity was probably the main race marker... except for Jewish and disabled people.

There were Jews who looked 100% Nordic and they still got gassed. Also some were condidered Jewish because they had one jewish anscestor they were not even aware of.
I think many Jews just viewed themselves just as non-Christian Germans. They eyetest would not have revealed who was jewish and who was not.