Has political correctness actually gone mad?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
- People that work at Disneyland are allowed tattoos, "inclusive uniforms" and "inclusive haircuts" so the Disney immersion is broken.
- It was fine when Walt Disney used his corporation to express patriotism during WW2 and pro-capitalism beliefs, but the opposite or any other beliefs are not ok.
- Changing literally any of the rides and stuff in any way ruins his Disney experience.

Edit:
Shocker that he is a Christian & a conservative republican.

I mean, who’d have thunk such?

I’ll bet he would love to see overt homophobia, racism, & fascism displayed at WDW, that’s Walt Disney right there.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
:lol: hate to laugh but oh my god is that ever horrible. I reckon that many Americans still picture African Americans exactly as they're portrayed there.

Not to mention the Nazi sympathy.
Just found out the other day that my cousin has a cat named ‘Sambo.’ This was a running joke in my family for generations, multiple members on my mother’s side of the family had dogs or cats named after the character ‘Little Black Sambo.’ Thought my generation out a stop to such nonsense, but racism in Mississippi still runs deep.

A hilariously riotous bunch, my family.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just found out the other day that my cousin has a cat named ‘Sambo.’ This was a running joke in my family for generations, multiple members on my mother’s side of the family had dogs or cats named after the character ‘Little Black Sambo.’ Thought my generation out a stop to such nonsense, but racism in Mississippi still runs deep.

Probably big fans of the Dam Busters movie.

Conor

We call sandwiches sambos in Ireland, and I always get extremely paranoid after saying it in a foreign country.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Maybe they are just big fans of Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi fame?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Disney has always been steeped in politics. Except it used to be stuff like Song of the South glorifying slavery and the old southern way of life. Or Dumbo, with a jive-talking crow called Jim Crow.

While looking for clips, I came upon this little number. It's not Disney, but it's from the same era. No racism to be found here.

WARNING: SO MUCH RACISM

I'm amazed by the detention differences. :lol:

Oh lordy...

467 former contestants actually signed an open letter about this (and him correctly answering "What is Gypsy" to the question "The Hungarian cimbalom is traditionally associated with the music of these itinerant people")

The way it's reported is shitty too - the headline makes it seem like there's actual validity to the allegations. The original video also left out the fact that he'd made similar hand gestures for his first and second wins:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Oh lordy...

467 former contestants actually signed an open letter about this (and him correctly answering "What is Gypsy" to the question "The Hungarian cimbalom is traditionally associated with the music of these itinerant people")

The way it's reported is shitty too - the headline makes it seem like there's actual validity to the allegations. The original video also left out the fact that he'd made similar hand gestures for his first and second wins:

:lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Oh lordy...

If it was just that three finger symbol, most likely racist & white supremacist.

Not so much when context is introduced.

Sweet Square

Granted these types of articles are now nothing more than just clickbait it's still very funny viewing the 10ft giant vampire lady as a progressive cis white woman.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Granted these types of articles are now nothing more than just clickbait it's still very funny viewing the 10ft giant vampire lady as a progressive cis white woman.

I wonder what is the most inclusive game ever created?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Doesn’t really fit the centrist dad vibe I’m going for on here but doesn’t that article make a fair point? I’m not big into gaming any more so don’t know if she’s correct to claim that there aren’t any playable female black characters in all those games. But if she is, isn’t that a bit of a problem?

Fingeredmouse

Doesn’t really fit the centrist dad vibe I’m going for on here but doesn’t that article make a fair point? I’m not big into gaming any more so don’t know if she’s correct to claim that there aren’t any playable female black characters in all those games. But if she is, isn’t that a bit of a problem?
You were going for centrist?

Gehrman

I think it's fair enough.

caid

You make your own character in the first of the 3 games shown, they can look however you like. 2nd is an antagonist and fairly unique to be fair. 3rd is fair enough but im not sure they were going for progressive, i think it might be more of a riff on ellen ripley from aliens. They weren't exactly shouting about how progressive they're being with a female lead.
Representation has improved in gaming and dumping on some of the very few popular female characters for being too white seems backward as feck
Capcoms last attempt at representing black people was horrifyingly bad anyway

Last edited:

Gehrman

You make your own character in the first of the 3 games shown, they can look however you like. 2nd is an antagonist and fairly unique to be fair. 3rd is fair enough but im not sure they were going for progressive, i think it might be more of a riff on ellen ripley from aliens. They weren't exactly shouting about how progressive they're being with a female lead.
Representation has improved in gaming and dumping on some of the very few popular female characters for being too white seems backward as feck
Capcoms last attempt at representing black people was horrifyingly bad anyway
Which capcom game was that?

Gehrman

Resident Evil 5 was pretty cringey
It was, but it's a long time ago since I played it so I can barely remember anything about it. Was part of the cringe white man shooting African zombies or simply because it was a poor Resident Evil game?

caid

It was, but it's a long time ago since I played it so I can barely remember anything about it. Was part of the cringe white man shooting African zombies or simply because it was a poor Resident Evil game?
A bit of both. Large parts of it were quite good but the later parts of the game were just dodgy. Towns full of people in huts with leaf pants throwing spears at you. It was just after resident evil 4 were they were playing with the idea of them being zombies too. It was pretty jarring.

Gehrman

A bit of both. Large parts of it were quite good but the later parts of the game were just dodgy. Towns full of people in huts with leaf pants throwing spears at you. It was just after resident evil 4 were they were playing with the idea of them being zombies too. It was pretty jarring.
Perhaps they can make for it with a future Resident Evil game where you play as a black female protagonist who guns down white Maga zombies.

caid

Perhaps they can make for it with a future Resident Evil game where you play as a black female protagonist who guns down white Maga zombies.
I'm not sure middle aged japanese dudes are best equipped to tell that story. I hope the increased representation in development leads to games like that from elsewhere though. Sheva wasn't a bad character to be fair to them. Probably would have fit RE5 better than Chris Redfield who comes off as quite militaristic and that didn't vibe well with the other stuff going on.
Walking dead games probably qualify for that though

Last edited:

Sweet Square

It's more that the article it's clearly put together and designed in the dumbest way possible in order to get ad revenue through people raging online.

Basically we have an economy where in order to pay rent, you have to sniff on nostalgic gamer gate fumes by argument Robert Crumb wet dream isn't intersectional enough.

Last edited:

Gehrman

I'm not sure middle aged japanese dudes are best equipped to tell that story. I hope the increased representation in development leads to games like that from elsewhere though. Sheva wasn't a bad character to be fair to them. Probably would have fit RE5 better than Chris Redfield who comes off as quite militaristic and that didn't vibe well with the other stuff going on.
Walking dead games probably qualify for that though
I have to admit, I don't really put a lot thought into politicization or representation of video games and that's probably because I'm a white male and because it's video games which I don't take very seriously. I don't doubt that the younger you are, where your sense of immersion greater, it would probably be lovely to have more POC protagonists.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Fair enough point about a lack of black women protagonists (Clementine, Alyx Vance and Jade from Beyond Good & Evil is all I can think of really and Jade is kind of racially ambiguous anyway).

But the cornrow "point" always annoys me. A race doesn't own a hairstyle. I remember Adele got shit for it too. It's such a stupid mindset. "Here's your basket of hairstyles you can use and this is ours." Shut up. A person can do whatever they want to their hair. You can think it looks stupid but don't call them racist etc.

Also, most MMA fighters seem to get their hair put into cornrows for a fight.

caid

I have to admit, I don't really put a lot thought into politicization or representation of video games and that's probably because I'm a white male and because it's video games which I don't take very seriously. I don't doubt that the younger you are, where your sense of immersion greater, it would probably be lovely to have more POC protagonists.
It would but i find the balance is better today. You can be a bit sad about the 30 years of duke nukem protaganists but the last 10 years have been better in my view.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Oh lordy...

from the letter:
Regardless of his stated intent, the gesture is a racist dog whistle. Some of the first people to notice this were not affiliated with “Jeopardy!” in any way — they were viewers who couldn’t believe what they’d seen, captured it on video, and shared it to Twitter. Among them were people of color who, needless to say, are attuned to racist messaging
Someone on twitter made a good point - this is the opposite of a dog whistle, it's a only-humans no-dogs whistle; its supposed targets are picking up on it and his supposed fellow travelers aren't.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
from the letter:

Someone on twitter made a good point - this is the opposite of a dog whistle, it's a only-humans no-dogs whistle; its supposed targets are picking up on it and his supposed fellow travelers aren't.
The whole thing is very weird. This was the explanation of the gesture I found on one news outlet.

The “OK” hand gesture’s interpretation as a white power symbol dates back to a 2017 hoax on the website 4chan and was used by right-leaning individuals as a trolling tactic, according to the Anti-Defamation League, but was later also adopted by some white supremacists.
www.kxan.com/news/national-news/3-time-jeopardy-winner-says-racist-hand-gesture-a-terrible-misunderstanding/amp/#scso=_rOKPYOmMNd6L9u8Pu-uNqA812:0

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This praising of junk food in a general broadside on so-called nanny state advertising restrictions is remarkable for its lack of balance.
Trying spending a day in the life in the shoes of a coke-addled, prostitute-abusing millionaire advertising executive for a change.

The latest announcement – though the idea has been lingering around Whitehall like a bad smell for some time now – is a “junk food” ad ban. There’s much to loathe about this eye-catching policy but let’s focus on its impact on advertising, which is bound to be more marked than its effect on our waistlines. Experts warn that it could come at a cost of £200m per year.

This is an industry that brings considerable benefits to the economy and society: the UK spent over £22bn on advertising in 2019. It generated £8bn of exports, making it the country’s second largest service exporter. It employs around half a million people in the UK, provides one third of TV revenue, two-thirds of press revenue, and sponsors large numbers of social, cultural and sporting institutions.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...epwalking-orwellian-restrictions-advertising/

nimic

something nice
Scout

Gehrman