Has Ronaldo just settled current generation's GOAT debate?

Has Ronaldo just settled the current generation's GOAT debate?

• Total voters

nick2004

What is hilarious about this whole debate is that Messi had a better Copa American than Ronaldo had at Euro 2016. Ronaldo was poor for pretty much the whole tournament where as Messi was instrumental up until the final.
I am glad you find "hilarious" what happened in Copa America!

However, please don't say that to Messi. He might not be happy! :D

Shinji10only

Wow people downplaying Ronaldos contribution in Euros to fit their pro-Messi agenda is funny as hell. Leets think about what he did.

Hungary-2 goals- if he doesnt get them Portugal go out in the groups.

Croatia- assist in extra time for 1-0 win

Wales- goal and an assist in 2-0 win.

He then didnt get to influence the final because Payet took it on himself to take him out.

I know Messi is a great player, but him not winning anything with Argentina and retiring from international football will be a blight in his career. Whilst people will see Ronaldos career as complete as he has won everything in the game, including captaining his country to a major competition.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Pro-messi 'agenda' on a United forum!
:lol:

I think some people have migrated from blue-moon recently.

Shinji10only

Nice. Lets take the one throwaway line in the post and comment on that. Disregarding the facts of the post. The agenda of some posters in this thread is clear. Clearly a Barca fan :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Wow people downplaying Ronaldos contribution in Euros to fit their pro-Messi agenda is funny as hell. Leets think about what he did.

Hungary-2 goals- if he doesnt get them Portugal go out in the groups.

Croatia- assist in extra time for 1-0 win

Wales- goal and an assist in 2-0 win.

He then didnt get to influence the final because Payet took it on himself to take him out.

I know Messi is a great player, but him not winning anything with Argentina and retiring from international football will be a blight in his career. Whilst people will see Ronaldos career as complete as he has won everything in the game, including captaining his country to a major competition.
Well said, but there's no use, the Messi fans will never yield an inch.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Ronaldo could have easily been Ricardo quaresma. Thats the level of talent he had. There are many players who are of that level. Bojan for example, gio dos santos etc, Ronaldo couls have easily had the career of any of those players.

The reason ronaldo got to where he did is because of his determination and work rate. Instead of calling me a Messi hater actually reply to what I have said. Ronaldo has determination that no player has probably ever had.

Messi doesn't have that he is pretty much pure natural ability.
Do you actually believe that last bit?

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Nice. Lets take the one throwaway line in the post and comment on that. Disregarding the facts of the post. The agenda of some posters in this thread is clear. Clearly a Barca fan :lol:
I or anyone else don't need any agenda to like Messi. Next time understand the meaning of the word 'agenda' before typing anymore garbage.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ronaldo could have easily been Ricardo quaresma. Thats the level of talent he had. There are many players who are of that level. Bojan for example, gio dos santos etc, Ronaldo couls have easily had the career of any of those players.

The reason ronaldo got to where he did is because of his determination and work rate. Instead of calling me a Messi hater actually reply to what I have said. Ronaldo has determination that no player has probably ever had.

Messi doesn't have that he is pretty much pure natural ability.
Ronaldo has far greater 'natural' physical gifts than those other players. How he prepares for games and the work he puts in off the park is exemplary, but plenty of players could do that and never be as fast as he is, or have that incredible leap that makes him such a threat in the air.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Nah it rather looks some have migrated from some bloody Barca forums.
Obsession here with both players are over the top but as annoying as both side's over the top posts are, Ronaldo at least hugely contributed to United 's success.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Football has this very wierd differentiation between 'best' and 'greatest'.

'Best' player is fairly self explanatory, in that it is simply who is the most gifted and effective player usually. 'Greatness', however, is made up largely by 'moments' in a career.

Ronaldo (Brasilian) is the best player ever for me, or at least alongside Messi. He is far from being he greatest though, I think perhaps he needed more moments at club level.

Around the time when Zidane was playing, in my view, he never touched Rivaldo's Barcelona level, but his career, at least in the record books, is largely summarised by two headers and a magical swing of his left foot at Hampden.

In 2002, Ronaldo won the Balon D'or. He missed around 6 months of the season I believe, but returned to go to the World Cup, which his team won, and he got the Golden Boot, including scoring in the final. I believe Michel Ballack was second that year. His season involved dragging Bayer Leverkusen, who were fairly unfancied, to the CL final, which they lost to Real Madrid, and then dragging Germany to the World Cup final, although he was suspended for the match itself.

The record books don't recognise his season, which was amongst the best midfield seasons I've seen. The key, crowning moments were missing.

Griezmann has had a similar year. Ronaldo will probably win the Balon D'or this year. He won the CL and Euros. Griezmann came within a whisker of winning both. However, his penalty hit the bar in Lisbon, and he missed a sitter in Paris. Had those moments been different, the story could be very different.

I don't really care for the 'greatest' player. What I do know is that I have very little doubt that Lionel Messi is the best.

daveyjones

I know it's been answered a hundred times in this thread already, but what does GOAT stand for?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I know it's been answered a hundred times in this thread already, but what does GOAT stand for?
Yeah I'd be confused too given there can be only one - yet we apparently have several and each generation has their own.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
So... if Messi had been injured during the warmup before each of Argentina's last CA and WC finals and they would have gone on to win them, would the Ronaldo fans then hail him as the undisputed GOAT? Is that the logic we're using now? I thought a players individual performances would be the thing to look at here but apparently that's irrelevant when arguing about individual abilities.. :rolleyes:

To each their own and all that, but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone who have seen these guys play over the last 5-6 years can think that Ronaldo is the better player.
He's one of the greatest finishers/end product players ever, but Messi scores for fun as well, and more often all by himself. + he's much better at pretty much everything else except heading away defensive corners. He's so much more involved in the game, he's a part of every step in the build up process, he's a finisher, set up guy, solo runs etcetc.
Ronaldo is there to finish what his team mates have started.

No contest whatsoever for me.