Has Ronaldo just settled current generation's GOAT debate?

Has Ronaldo just settled the current generation's GOAT debate?

• Total voters

baanke laal

banned
By captaining and leading his country to a European Trophy.

Can a mod add a poll to it with a Yes, No option please? :)

Last edited:

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
He's sort of proved that him being inferior to Messi is regardless of what he achieves with his country.

Sigma

Messi's still better when looking back at their careers. Ronaldo is the more complete player, but Messi is Messi

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi's still better when looking back at their careers. Ronaldo is the more complete player, but Messi is Messi
Depends how you define complete.

I personally think Messi's the more complete player.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
His team won the final without him so yes it proves where he stands.

Eder manager to do what, Ronaldo, Messi, Cruyff, have failed to do in a Regional Championship (Copa America / Euro).

Eder is the undisputed GOAT of football.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Sport isn't just about fancy skills, it's about leadership. In the summer where Messi showed himself to be a sniveling, weak, pathetic little man, Ronaldo showed himself to be a leader of men....and has the trophy to show for it.

montpelier

thread starter here mustn't be reading the other threads

or he wouldn't be wondering about this

I'd go with a tentative NO meself

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
How can you come to that conclusion?

Messi can do so many things that Ronaldo can't. You could argue he is a more complete goalscorer but even that's not necessarily true because Ronaldo doesn't score fk's any more.

MounchesterUtd

His team won the final without him so yes it proves where he stands.

Eder manager to do what Van Basten, Ronaldo, Messi, Cruyff, have failed to do in a Regional Championship (Copa America / Euro).

Eder is the undisputed GOAT of football.
Van Basten won a Euro though

Eddy_JukeZ

Ronaldo can do more things better on a football pitch.
I'd disagree with that.

I'd only give Ronaldo an edge in penalties and aerial ability. Messi's better in everything else for me.

Edit: Can argue movement as well for Ronaldo

Sigma

How can you come to that conclusion?

Messi can do so many things that Ronaldo can't. You could argue he is a more complete goalscorer but even that's not necessarily true because Ronaldo doesn't score fk's any more.
Ronaldo is stronger, he can score with his head, he's a better leader. He's probably a better goal scorer too. Messi is better because what he excels at, he is unbelievably efficient and good at, but Ronaldo can do more things, still at a very high level.

predator

Youth NITK
It's harder to do what Messi has done than what Ronaldo has. Messi is a freak of nature, the way he dribbles hasn't been seen before imo.

Ronaldo is an amazing athlete and showman but Messi is the goat.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Pretty much so, they were comparable before this summer, but one big bottling job and a historic win later, there's no much left to debate.

baanke laal

banned
Ronaldo led his country to the final as the captain. Maradona needed help from his teammates to win the World Cup final. Nobody puts him down for that.

By those standards, Ronaldo pips Messi for the GOAT spot now :drool:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Really?

I think it's the opposite personally and the only area I think Ronaldo overshadows Messi is his superior aerial threat - in terms of goal scoring they're both unrivalled, with Messi being the superior dribbler, passer and playmaker.

Ronaldo is often on the periphery of games whereas Messi consistently offers much more in the build up.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I don't agree with that at all. Ronaldo is better header and penalty taker, Messi is better at dribbling, short and long passing, free kicks, controlling games, he's far less selfish and probably has a better shot too.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Ronaldo is stronger, he can score with his head, he's a better leader. He's probably a better goal scorer too. Messi is better because what he excels at, he is unbelievably efficient and good at, but Ronaldo can do more things, still at a very high level.
Ronaldo doesn't use his physicality to his advantage because he goes down looking for free kicks instead of continuing on.

You say he's a better goal scorer but I'm willing to bet Ronaldo's conversion rate is below Messi's.

He's just not a more complete player.

Eddy_JukeZ

Really?

I think it's the opposite personally and the only area I think Ronaldo overshadows Messi is his superior aerial threat - in terms of goal scoring they're both unrivalled, with Messi being the superior dribbler, passer and playmaker.

Ronaldo is often on the periphery of games whereas Messi consistently offers much more in the build up.
Agreed. Could argue Messi's a better goal scorer too because he's more efficient.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ronaldo led his country to the final as the captain. Maradona needed help from his teammates to win the World Cup final. Nobody puts him down for that.

By those standards, Ronaldo pips Messi for the GOAT spot now :drool:
Hello, Three finals in three years? It's the exact same argument you are using, 3 is greater than 1? just Higuain didn't finish for Argentina.

Messi lead his Country to 1 World Cup Final and 2 Copa America finals.

Ronaldo lead his country to 1 Euro Final.

Eder won the trophy. It's a 2 sided argument.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I don't agree with that at all. Ronaldo is better header and penalty taker, Messi is better at dribbling, short and long passing, free kicks, controlling games, he's far less selfish and probably has a better shot too.
But Messi doesn't pay his taxes!

Giggs86

For me yes. Leading Portugal to glory gives him the edge over Messi.

Messi might be bit better in some things but he's not a leader. For me, Ronaldo has to be rhe goat.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Messi is a better passer. A better dribbler. Is more creative. Has a better first touch. Is better at free kicks.

Ronaldo is physically stronger and as such is better at heading and that's pretty much it...

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Bottled them all in the final :angel:
Ronaldo won it, that's what Maradona is praised for :D
That's a ridiculous argument though? Messi played well in 3 of the finals, he just missed a penalty which is a lottery.

You are using an argument to suit your agenda when its the EXACT same the other way.

The best chances fell to Higuain in all three finals.