Has Ronaldo just settled current generation's GOAT debate?

Has Ronaldo just settled the current generation's GOAT debate?

• Total voters

Cal?

CR7 fan
Agreed. Could argue Messi's a better goal scorer too because he's more efficient.
No, ultimately the point of football is to score goals, no keep possession. Conversion rate means feck all. Goals per minute is what's important

Eddy_JukeZ

No, ultimately the point of football is to score goals, no keep possession. Conversion rate means feck all. Goals per minute is what's important
So who has a higher goals per minute ratio?

And conversion rate doesn't mean feck all come on.

If Messi takes the same amount of shots as Ronaldo in a game, he'll likely score more.

Sigma

@Everyone who disagrees with me.

I disagree with you. I can't be bothered replying back :lol:

Ronaldo can function better in more teams. That's why he's been successful in multiple teams. We'll never know if that is the case for Messi.

baanke laal

banned
That's a ridiculous argument though? Messi played well in 3 of the finals, he just missed a penalty which is a lottery.

You are using an argument to suit your agenda when its the EXACT same the other way.

The best chances fell to Higuain in all three finals.
It does not matter buddy, Ronaldo has a major intentional winner medal now, while Messi has three loser/runner-up medals. You can also say that, it's even more difficult to win it in one chance, while messi got three and still bottled them all with his team. The stick people used to beat Ronaldo with was his lack of success with Portugal and mentioned Maradona, Pele etc for doing it. Can't have it both ways, he has done it now!

Cal?

CR7 fan
So who has a higher goals per minute ratio?

And conversion rate doesn't mean feck all come on.

If Messi takes the same amount of shots as Ronaldo in a game, he'll likely score more.
Why doesn't he then? Surely the point of football is to score goals? If it's just as simple as Messi taking more shots I wonder why no one thought of it before? Perhaps because he didn't get into those goal score my positions?

Eddy_JukeZ

Why doesn't he then? Surely the point of football is to score goals? If it's just as simple as Messi taking more shots I wonder why no one thought of it before? Perhaps because he didn't get into those goal score my positions?
Because he's not as wasteful as Ronaldo is?

And sometimes he'll pick out a pass instead of going for glory.

Bwuk

Ronaldo for me really stepped up as a leader in this final, despite only playing 25 mins or so. His leadership of the side throughout the game was obvious.

Contrast to that Messi being poor in the World Cup final, and the last Copa America final, and throwing a hissy fit and retiring after it.

Messi for me is a better player but he is a petulant child. Ronaldo gets criticised for his personality and behaviour at times, but he's a winner and he's driven.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Ronaldo for me really stepped up as a leader in this final, despite only playing 25 mins or so. His leadership of the side throughout the game was obvious.

Contrast to that Messi being poor in the World Cup final, and the last Copa America final, and throwing a hissy fit and retiring after it.

Messi for me is a better player but he is a petulant child. Ronaldo gets criticised for his personality and behaviour at times, but he's a winner and he's driven.
Yeah it would have been better if Messi just got injured in his last 3 finals.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

whaaaaat?!?!

saivet

Hello, Three finals in three years? It's the exact same argument you are using, 3 is greater than 1? just Higuain didn't finish for Argentina.

Messi lead his Country to 1 World Cup Final and 2 Copa America finals.

Ronaldo lead his country to 1 Euro Final.

Eder won the trophy. It's a 2 sided argument.
Ronaldo has been to two Euro finals.

Also, it would help his cause if UEFA threw in an extra Euros next year.

Ban

:lol:
Yeah, Ronaldo never had hissy fits.

This thread is funny too.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
As a team Barcelona's attackers do score more goals though. Messi, Suarez and Neymar have scored 253 goals between them in 2 seasons. Messi isn't so concerned with being their top scorer as he's proven by giving up pens just so the others can score.

Eddy_JukeZ

Scoring goals is wasteful?
No, but taking a shot in a bad position when there's a teammate available for a pass for a better shot is wasteful.

Ronaldo's shooting ability is tremendous, but he does have a habit of forcing shots.

Revan

Assumptionman
Apart from heading, I really really struggle to see what Ronaldo is better at. I'll let you have "penalties" as well.
Faster, a better goalscorer, charisma/leadership, penalties, heading, movement of the ball.

Messi is a better dribbler, better at free kicks (not better than Ron at his best though), but more importantly, Messi is far better at passing/crossing (one of the best passers of all time). He also influences the game more than Ronaldo (because of his passing skills).

It depends what people mean by complete, but I don't think that neither of them is a really complete player, and each of them have distinct advantages in some parts of the game.

Bwuk

Yeah, Ronaldo never had hissy fits.

This thread is funny too.
I'm not saying he hasn't.

Ronaldo is a far more passionate player than Messi.

I think Messi is a more talented footballer, but if you were to offer me either Messi or Ronaldo at 21 to play in this current United side it'd be Ronaldo all day every day.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
A lot of people are overlooking mentality and luck (winning international trophies matters, and you need a bit of luck to win any knock out tournament... being lucky is pretty crucial if you want to be considered the best player of all time)

Messi is obviously better in terms of his natural ability and talent, but Ronaldo is more of a winner. In fact, I've never seen someone with such an amazingly driven personality as Ronaldo, and that counts for a lot in football. So take your pick.

Cal?

CR7 fan
As a team Barcelona's attackers do score more goals though. Messi, Suarez and Neymar have scored 253 goals between them in 2 seasons. Messi isn't so concerned with being their top scorer as he's proven by giving up pens just so the others can score.
Or because he's just terrible at them?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Come on. It was good of Ronaldo to rally the troops but really stepped up? That's amazing.

ti vu

Only needs less than a game to win the Euro. :drool: Ronaldo GOAT coach ever. :devil: Was able to coach Eder to do like that :drool: vs Messi inability to coach Higuain, there should be no debate :wenger:

I don't care anyways

Last edited:

Bwuk

Come on. It was good of Ronaldo to rally the troops but really stepped up? That's amazing.
How many times do you see players go off injured in big games and act like he did tonight? most of the time they disappear in the huff.

dellboyy

Probably will always be too close to call, but that match did highlight Ronaldo is much more of a leader to a team... i don't think Messi could ever inspire a team and drag them through something in the same way, only through football.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
No clue what GOAT means... Except the animal, but i doubt we're talking about that here.
Guy on a truck?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
How many times do you see players go off injured in big games and act like he did tonight? most of the time they disappear in the huff.
John Terry did against Napoli in the CL during their fluke CL run and everyone laughed at him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is such an insane line of reasoning.

Portugal win a game. This then somehow proves that Ronaldo (who barely featured in the game) is better than Messi (who never plays in this tournament). Presumably if Gignac had scored (something, like the rest of the game, Ronaldo has zero influence on) then nothing would have been settled?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
And ultimately Messi scores 0'78 goals per game against the 0'68 gpg from ROnaldo. So ultimately Messi is still a better goalscorer than Ronaldo

Being a better goalscorer, having won more titles, more individual awards and all of that, now we have to guide the debate into international competition because Portugal won a title? Then we could just add a lot of players of this "generation" to the mix that have won more than both Messi and Ronaldo, let's add Casillas, Ramos, Pique, Xavi and Iniesta now that you don't have to be a better goalscorer to be the goat, right?

Woodenlung

Not for me. Winning an international tournament is in certain and all, but the better football and higher level of competition is at the elite club level. That matters more I think and Messi tops Ronaldo there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This hasn't proven anything in terms of GOAT, although it has reinforced Ronaldo as one of the two greats of this generation. At least in terms of internationals - he has now been a part of a Euro winning side, another Euro finalist, a semi finalist and a WC semi finalist side with Portugal, which is pretty impressive given Portugals prior football stature.

Squaaaad

This is such an insane line of reasoning.

Portugal win a game. This then somehow proves that Ronaldo (who barely featured in the game) is better than Messi (who never plays in this tournament). Presumably if Gignac had scored (something, like the rest of the game, Ronaldo has zero influence on) then nothing would have been settled?
Exactly