Hating Lingard

JonDahl

He’s our Walcott.

A purple patch here and there will always be enough to just about get him a new contract and be looked at favourably by a section of supporters. Then the inevitable slump comes and cycle restarts.

He’ll be here till he’s 30.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Id that's the case then i take it back.

But my point still stands for those who are in this love affair with local lad shite
Fair enough. I've liked him in the past but when he's performing inconsistently, ineffective more often that not if we're honest, with very few goals and assists at the age of 26 he's very hard to defend. I think it's undeniable that if he'd joined the club a few years ago for a fee he'd be getting hammered more or less universally.

Bojan11

Completely agree. It's more Rashford and Martial that are the problem. They are the ones who are supposed to be the threat in attack.
So what’s Lingard in there for? He’s the oldest and most experienced out of the three.

In my opinion all three are just garbage and we should sign two attackers in the summer with one of Martial or Rashford starting.

OL29

Completely agree. It's more Rashford and Martial that are the problem. They are the ones who are supposed to be the threat in attack.
And Lingard isn't? He's a starting attacker for one of the biggest clubs in the world ffs.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Working hard only gets you so far. Always that niggling question does he have it on him to bring it up a notch - don’t think so.

scots devil

This guy is a charlatan, multi millionaire on the back of what exactly, utter mediocrity, will stay for another year because we can't move on all the dead wood in one window, time and time again he fails to step up, for me he would go.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Working hard only gets you so far. Always that niggling question does he have it on him to bring it up a notch - don’t think so.
I suppose the trouble with him is that at times, key times too, he does bring it up a notch and scores a good goal. He doesn't do it at all consistently, and when he's not right on it (most of the time) his weaknesses are manifold and easily exploitable.

Nialinho

I still think he's worth keeping as a squad option.. but he's having a truly awful season.

So what’s Lingard in there for? He’s the oldest and most experienced out of the three.

In my opinion all three are just garbage and we should sign two attackers in the summer with one of Martial or Rashford starting.
This is just knee-jerk and frankly embarrassing. Martial has gone seriously off the boil since Jose left but what are you actually expecting from Rashford? They're two players we shouldn't be looking to replace.

With a quality RW signing and perhaps two midfielders who supply better service, I think they'd be a hell of a lot more consistent.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Squad player, the fact that he's starting in the QF of the CL says a lot about how the club has been handled since 2013.

settembrini

If United's management had been halfway decent post-Ferguson then Lingard would have been a squad player playing twenty something games a season with more sub appearances than starts. Instead he's an important first team player who has averaged around forty games a season for years with a huge amount of starts.

Vernon Philander

He’s our Walcott.

A purple patch here and there will always be enough to just about get him a new contract and be looked at favourably by a section of supporters. Then the inevitable slump comes and cycle restarts.

Bingo

Robbie Boy

Ffs, give him a chance he's young and local. What more do you want from a 21 year old kid? Also he scored in two finals against the world class Palace and Southampton.

Bojan11

I still think he's worth keeping as a squad option.. but he's having a truly awful season.

This is just knee-jerk and frankly embarrassing. Martial has gone seriously off the boil since Jose left but what are you actually expecting from Rashford? They're two players we shouldn't be looking to replace.

With a quality RW signing and perhaps two midfielders who supply better service, I think they'd be a hell of a lot more consistent.
Knee jerk?

Martial and Rashford are streaky players, who are not good enough for a team that want to win the title. The stats show it, I guess they knee jerk too.

Midfielders who provide better service so Rashford could miss more. Rashfords never been a clinical finisher, we can have Beckham and Scholes in their prime around him and he’d still miss for fun. He still doesn’t even know how to head the ball.

Martial doesn’t know how to run without the ball. I guess that’s the knee jerk in me too. Every other top attacker can do it but he stands still expecting ball to feet when his dribbling is inconsistent.

Also Lingard as squad option? He offers feck all vs West Ham at home and wouldn’t even get in their team. They have better wingers than us.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I suppose the trouble with him is that at times, key times too, he does bring it up a notch and scores a good goal. He doesn't do it at all consistently, and when he's not right on it (most of the time) his weaknesses are manifold and easily exploitable.
That’s it. Any player can have a moment of brilliance - it’s playing to a high level consistently is the hard part.

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
Glad to see so many people seeing Lingard for what he is - An underwhelming footballer with no outstanding aspects of his game in any department. For me, he is the very embodiment of today's Manchester United. Not good enough, cocky, a bit of a laughing stock to other fans and thinks he's better than he is.

I don't even really rate him as a squad player, as I've said previously he'd be perfect for a club like Everton or West Ham, for example. I don't think he's even at the level of squad player a club like United should be looking at. He wouldn't get anywhere near any of the other top 6 squads.

Zoo

Season peaked at the Emirates which he then labelled his dance floor. We all laughed but I don’t think Fergie would have accepted something like that particularly from a player who isn’t that special.

Bojan11

Glad to see so many people seeing Lingard for what he is - An underwhelming footballer with no outstanding aspects of his game in any department. For me, he is the very embodiment of today's Manchester United. Not good enough, cocky, a bit of a laughing stock to other fans and thinks he's better than he is.

I don't even really rate him as a squad player, as I've said previously he'd be perfect for a club like Everton or West Ham, for example. I don't think he's even at the level of squad player a club like United should be looking at. He wouldn't get anywhere near any of the other top 6 squads.
People keep saying Everton or West Ham. But they have Richarlison and Anderson as wingers. Would he even start ahead of them? Nope. That’s how low it is when we got players starting for us who wouldn’t get in mid table teams. Even Watford have Deulofeu who is better.

Castia

He seems to be off it at the moment. At worst he was always making runs pulling the opposition defenders around but he's been poor lately and doesn't even seem to be making the same runs.

He's a good squad option to have but he shouldn't be starting 30+ games a season for us, we should be a quality right sided player and Lingard should be backup.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Rightly said

Bojan11

He seems to be off it at the moment. At worst he was always making runs pulling the opposition defenders around but he's been poor lately and doesn't even seem to be making the same runs.

He's a good squad option to have but he shouldn't be starting 30+ games a season for us, we should be a quality right sided player and Lingard should be backup.
Again with the back up. Look at his stats when he is starting they rubbish, imagine how they will be when he’s a squad player. I rather give that role to someone in the youth team.

He struggles to do anything vs West Ham at home. That’s a game made for a squad player to do a job.

TRUERED89

He's inconsistent but what 21 year old isn't.
He's fecking 26! I've been a supporter of his but its going too far now! people in here don't even know his actual age its laughable! I've been very patient with him, but then when I look at our starters from past glories and where they were at 26! Its embarrassing the performances we have to put up with these days!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To be fair, he's still learning his trade, gotta give him time to develop.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That’s it. Any player can have a moment of brilliance - it’s playing to a high level consistently is the hard part.
Aye, and as a fan of his it's been tough to come around to that fact. I'll always love that Chelsea game in April '17 where he joined Rashford up front in a 3-5-2 and obliterated them between the lines, that was him being instrumental in taking a good team to task. We have to accept that kind of performance hasn't happened anywhere near enough and at his age he should be offering far more on a consistent basis to justify his starting place.

JoaquinJoaquin

He's fecking 26! I've been a supporter of his but its going too far now! people in here don't even know his actual age its laughable! I've been very patient with him, but then when I look at our starters from past glories and where they were at 26! Its embarrassing the performances we have to put up with these days!
27 this year actually :D

TRUERED89

Ffs, give him a chance he's young and local. What more do you want from a 21 year old kid? Also he scored in two finals against the world class Palace and Southampton.
27 this year actually :D
Well he's still currently 26 so I wasn't wrong! But look at where our best attackers were at the age of 26! light years ahead of anyone in this team! I genuinely feel like putting 11 United fans on the pitch would be better sometimes than watching these lot.They genuinely don't love/understand the badge they're wearing.

Nialinho

Knee jerk?

Martial and Rashford are streaky players, who are not good enough for a team that want to win the title. The stats show it, I guess they knee jerk too.

Midfielders who provide better service so Rashford could miss more. Rashfords never been a clinical finisher, we can have Beckham and Scholes in their prime around him and he’d still miss for fun. He still doesn’t even know how to head the ball.

Martial doesn’t know how to run without the ball. I guess that’s the knee jerk in me too. Every other top attacker can do it but he stands still expecting ball to feet when his dribbling is inconsistent.

Also Lingard as squad option? He offers feck all vs West Ham at home and wouldn’t even get in their team. They have better wingers than us.
Yes, knee-jerk.

You have watched a far superior Barca team comfortably beat us at the Nou Camp and you're now slating two of our better players because they were very poor in that game.

Perhaps Rashford does miss a lot of chances but he's 21 and scored 45 goals for us when he's had to come off the bench a lot and been played on the wing. Not to mention, like literally weeks ago, everyone was lauding Ole for putting him up front for a run of games. He's been one of our best players under Solskjaer and no one was saying feck all about him before this slump in form. His finishing will get better, I'm pretty sure when he first came on the scene, finishing was his strong point.

I think Martial is the best finisher at the club and he's definitely shown he can beat a marker, he's unstoppable on his day! Now he's not worth sticking with?! His movement can be improved with coaching. Once we make a few signings and get the team fully fit and capable of playing an attacking way, I think he'll be back to his best. I think you've probably forgotten how good he was in the first half of the season. He's been injured for a number of games and struggled since coming back. Could guarantee if we did sell him, he'd be a top, top player in a couple of years.

Until we fix a lot of big issues in our team, they will continue to be streaky players. They both have hugely evident potential and are faaaaaaar from garbage. Pogba is our most talented player and we all saw him spit his dummy out (yet again) when the game wasn't going our way. I think he warrants more criticism than Lingard, Rashford or Martial. But then again, he needs more from the players around him.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Born2Lose

He’s our Walcott.

Basically describes Martial too.

midnightmare

Disagree. Lingard normally has exceptional off-ball movement and spots as well as creates space in the attacking third. This is a rare skill and is lacking in literally every other player in our squad, including Pogba. The issue with Jesse right now is one that's also caused by formation. Jesse would work best as a 10. He's not the fastest in terms of speed and doesn't have good crossing ability. But he's quick with his feet and has good intelligence in terms of making and spotting spaces. No surprises that his best showings came in the middle of a 3 in the 4-2-3-1, which, sadly (owing to Pogba being more important and whose form is even more wedded to formation) has been dumped for a 4-3-3 / 3-5-2.

Jesse is now almost always either played as RW or the central striker, neither of which are positions that suit his skill-set too much. Of course, he's been in abject form and therefore also looks a step slower and lacking confidence in the last few weeks, but this doesn't mean we just move again to say he's tosh.

I've always felt Jesse was a good squad option to have. He's not what I'd like to see in the first-choice XI and specially not in the biggest games whether in the league or in Europe, but he has a solid role to play and has all the elements needed to be a good backup / squad option. Truly passionate about the club and happy with whatever role we give him, always willing to strain every sinew when given the chance and always putting in everything he has.

It's almost like people don't realize that every team needs such players. We see our players for the full 90 every game but don't see what other clubs have as reserve options. Some of our fans seem to think Real Madrid have a squad of 24 players of the caliber of Modric and Ronaldo and Barca 25 of the caliber of Messi; they don't. Look at the squads and you start realizing that they too have the academy players and average guys who are willing to sit in the stands at times, on the bench at times and still give it all they've got when they get the chance. Lingard should be one of those for us. Not the starting guy, but definitely not sold just because he's not Messe Lingod.

Zlatattack

This is as good as Lingard is ever going to be. He should be nothing more than a backup player in our squad.

Janson

And Lingard isn't? He's a starting attacker for one of the biggest clubs in the world ffs.
I think he's the type of player that would be very useful if he had proper attackers to work with. That's not something I could say for Martial and Rashford at the moment. I think they would most likely just be in the way of a functioning attack. Lingard links up play, has great movement, presses well. I'm not sure if he's a starter but definitely a good squad player to have.

dove

So much undeserved criticism of Lingard. Local lad, great servant for the club, tries his best, Rashford's best mate and still extremely young. Next year is his year I am sure.

Hawks2008

Wow what terrible fans daring to criticise a local academy lad he runs around so much c'mon guys if his name was Lingardinho he would be hailed as the next big thing :nono:

Last edited: