Hating Lingard

cyril C

I doubted he would make it back in the days of Moyes due to him not being that quick or strong for an attacking player. He has used other skills though to really improve. I thought Januzaj would go further back then so I was totally wrong on that. He got a very good mentality to improve and that has been key for him.
If you think Januzaj "make it" under Moyes then Lingard would have got his chance surely. Lingard is faster than Januzaj and works harder than Januzaj.

cyril C

Just out of curiosity - can anyone remember if we ever had a player who scored the majority of his goals from outside the box ? I looked at Lingards goals, and more than half his goals were scored from either just inside the box or outside it.
Scholes and Cantonna? I am not comparing Lingard with either of these 2 so don't start another storm. I am simply trying to answer a question on location of scoring goals.

Tosicsleftpeg

Find it odd when you say it how it is people get on your back about Lingard. I saw nothing massively out of order in the matchday thread, i personally commented he had a bit of a sub par game on the ball but worked hard that was after about an hour. Funnily enough after that he perked up a bit and started playing well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was also posting when he played well in December in more than a few games but you didn’t call me out then did you?
Pathetic.
What’s pathetic is that in all your years here you did it with all the homegrown players; O’Shea, Fletcher, welbeck, lingard

I certainly recall you saying Fletcher was not even championship material

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
What’s pathetic is that in all your years here you did it with all the homegrown players; O’Shea, Fletcher, welbeck, lingard

I certainly recall you saying Fletcher was not even championship material
And those players were anything other than squad players? But you put the old caf banker in there of fletcher.... I’m not going to rise to it.

All 3 United

Created the chance for Lukaku's goal.
I don’t think he was terrible just not what I’d expect from a United number 10. A number 10 should force himself into the game and I don’t think lingard does this often enough. Just my opinion.

J_Red 11

I don’t think he was terrible just not what I’d expect from a United number 10. A number 10 should force himself into the game and I don’t think lingard does this often enough. Just my opinion.
He got the identity to play for United way that people have been asking especially in Sir Alex era. Free fluid flowing attack, dynamic & knows how to make intelligent movement. The chance that he created for Lukaku's goal today is one of the example of that free fluid flowing attack.

If he can score about 13-16 league goals at least this season, will you change your opinion? For a no 10 that's a very good number for league goals.

ChaddyP

Played as a number 8 today. Strange opinion either way.

J_Red 11

Played as a number 8 today. Strange opinion either way.
Really loving that Pogba Lingard in no 8 together and we gave both of them license to go forward and freedom. Matic just needs to make sure don't go forward too often.

diplomat

He was excellent yet again, especially in the 2nd half. The way he drives the ball forward with pace and power from midfield, it's exactly what we miss to be able to play fluid football on a regular basis. Hope this is really a step-up and not just crazy in-form period.

cyril C

He got the identity to play for United way that people have been asking especially in Sir Alex era. Free fluid flowing attack, dynamic & knows how to make intelligent movement. The chance that he created for Lukaku's goal today is one of the example of that free fluid flowing attack.

If he can score about 13-16 league goals at least this season, will you change your opinion? For a no 10 that's a very good number for league goals.
Let's be fair to the kid, MK is supposed to be our 1st choice #10, Mata 2nd choice, but it is Lingard who is delivering in this role. Will Lingard become a world class #10, probably not IMO. But he is doing the job for the team. To answer your question - even if he scored 20 goals this season I still won't rate him a 1st choice #10, because our #10 demand goals, assist and creating chances for the team. Unless we can find these attributes from another position (say Sanchez as right winger), we definitely need to find a better #10. But the kid deserve to starts as long as he is performing.

That chance also showed one of his worst sides, his relative lack of vision. He should really have released it a lot earlier than he did, it was only down to Stoke's poor defending that anything came from it.

J_Red 11

Let's be fair to the kid, MK is supposed to be our 1st choice #10, Mata 2nd choice, but it is Lingard who is delivering in this role. Will Lingard become a world class #10, probably not IMO. But he is doing the job for the team. To answer your question - even if he scored 20 goals this season I still won't rate him a 1st choice #10, because our #10 demand goals, assist and creating chances for the team. Unless we can find these attributes from another position (say Sanchez as right winger), we definitely need to find a better #10. But the kid deserve to starts as long as he is performing.
Players don't need to be world class quality in order to be called good enough to play for Manchester United. Hardly I can remember there are 11 world class players in a team.

J_Red 11

That chance also showed one of his worst sides, his relative lack of vision. He should really have released it a lot earlier than he did, it was only down to Stoke's poor defending that anything came from it.
Watched the goal again I have to disagree. Shaqiri was in a good position to intercept the ball to Martial. Passing it to Lukaku will be pointless as he was marked by two defenders. At the end of the day we scored from him created the chance.

el3mel

He did what he was doing the previous games by driving the ball forward well, passing and moving in free spaces all the time. He just didn't get a chance to score one of his screamers so some will think he did nothing but it's OK. He did a very good game IMO. What he is doing now I was expecting to see from the likes of Mikhi but he flopped.

devips

He has to score every match to be considered United quality! Poor Lingard!!

All 3 United

Even if he doesn’t get 13-16 goals, if he can play like he did in December for 70%-80% of the remaining games, I’d change my opinion but he needs that consistency.

Viral United

He created 2 chance for Mata, got involved in Lukaku's goal, track back when needed, involved in almost all our counter attack.
I don't know what more he can do unless you are expecting a goal in every match.

I also think he is very good squad player, but the way he is playing he deserved to start,
And if he continue this form, we should strength our other position before we think about no.10.

JoaquinJoaquin

He created 2 chance for Mata, got involved in Lukaku's goal, track back when needed, involved in almost all our counter attack.
I don't know what more he can do unless you are expecting a goal in every match.

I also think he is very good squad player, but the way he is playing he deserved to start,
And if he continue this form, we should strength our other position before we think about no.10.
We still need someone of better quality ala Ozil, with Lingard being a very good squad player (which should be his true role). Relying on Lingard every game is a bit much to ask.

Last edited:

tieunhilang

Seems that Jesé Lingard bashing is the new in-thing. He’s the anti-Christ to attacking football, a player who is stealing a living and worse than all other players in the PL. And that’s just the opinion of United fans.

This thread https://www.redcafe.net/threads/worst-pl-players-stealing-a-living.434056/ had some United fans quick to bash Lingard, only in the team because he’s local etc. I’m going to call this bashing Lingardism From now on.

This guy doesn’t understand and clearly no talking to him. Perhaps this video may help.

Talking about 17 year old Gomes in a transfer forum thread, Lingardism even slips in there

Since they don’t even play in the same way, not sure how a 17 year old who is not yet an u-23 regular is going to be better.

Well said this guy, he gets it. Fergie always had utility players who could do a job for the team, O’Shea, park, phizza to name just 3. You don’t win things without players like that getting minutes alongside the more talented players or illustrious names.

So, here’s to Jese Lingard.
Sorry for the bump. But I recall this thread as the best jinx thread ever on Redcafe?
He became LinGod after this was created, and we certainly need another LinGod ridiculous purple patch for our last weeks. :D