Hating Lingard

TRUERED89

So much undeserved criticism of Lingard. Local lad, great servant for the club, tries his best, Rashford's best mate and still extremely young. Next year is his year I am sure.
What the hell are you on about! He's 27 this year mate! Have to be trolling

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Disagree. Lingard normally has exceptional off-ball movement and spots as well as creates space in the attacking third. This is a rare skill and is lacking in literally every other player in our squad, including Pogba. The issue with Jesse right now is one that's also caused by formation. Jesse would work best as a 10. He's not the fastest in terms of speed and doesn't have good crossing ability. But he's quick with his feet and has good intelligence in terms of making and spotting spaces. No surprises that his best showings came in the middle of a 3 in the 4-2-3-1, which, sadly (owing to Pogba being more important and whose form is even more wedded to formation) has been dumped for a 4-3-3 / 3-5-2.

Jesse is now almost always either played as RW or the central striker, neither of which are positions that suit his skill-set too much. Of course, he's been in abject form and therefore also looks a step slower and lacking confidence in the last few weeks, but this doesn't mean we just move again to say he's tosh.

I've always felt Jesse was a good squad option to have. He's not what I'd like to see in the first-choice XI and specially not in the biggest games whether in the league or in Europe, but he has a solid role to play and has all the elements needed to be a good backup / squad option. Truly passionate about the club and happy with whatever role we give him, always willing to strain every sinew when given the chance and always putting in everything he has.

It's almost like people don't realize that every team needs such players. We see our players for the full 90 every game but don't see what other clubs have as reserve options. Some of our fans seem to think Real Madrid have a squad of 24 players of the caliber of Modric and Ronaldo and Barca 25 of the caliber of Messi; they don't. Look at the squads and you start realizing that they too have the academy players and average guys who are willing to sit in the stands at times, on the bench at times and still give it all they've got when they get the chance. Lingard should be one of those for us. Not the starting guy, but definitely not sold just because he's not Messe Lingod.
Unusually good post for the thread that’s in it.

Kostov

Hating poor little Lingard you cnuts. He's just 26 and has time on his side, he's already so good in the running and movement department now he only needs to improve the part where he is required to play some actual football and he will get there. Patience please.

OL29

Unusually good post for the thread that’s in it.
Behave, you wouldn't be defending him if he wasn't British, i've been reading this site for years and you're always in a hurry to stick the boot into foreign players but get so defensive when anyone dares to criticise the British lads. So transparent.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Behave, you wouldn't be defending him if he wasn't British, i've been reading this site for years and you're always in a hurry to stick the boot into foreign players but get so defensive when anyone dares to criticise the British lads. So transparent.
Weird accusation.
a) I'm not British so have no reason for bias towards British players
b) Anyone who is familiar with my posting history would know that one of the players I've got most defensive about over the years is Antonio Valencia

TRUERED89

All our underperformers get slaughtered on here, not sure what you're on about! British or not! Look at the abuse Young, Jones, Smalling get! nothing to do with British bias! If they're shit they'll get criticised, no-one is immune to it. For every one person who defends Lingard and co there'll be another 50 who hammer him! no bias at all.

izec

I think he plays because he offers something most players dont in our team. Energy, movement and link up play. I mean if you got Lukaku, Martial and Pogba in your team, you have to have someone balancing things out. Martial and Lukaku are 2 men down half of the time without the ball. Lingard is inconsistent though and currently completely shit, but he usually offers decent things off the ball. The problem is our more talented players dont. On the ball, he can be neat and tidy but also lose a lot of balls. His output is also subpar. He would be a squad player or not at the club if we were a top team, but i can see why Ole picks him currently with this squad and these players.

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
It's almost like people don't realize that every team needs such players. We see our players for the full 90 every game but don't see what other clubs have as reserve options. Some of our fans seem to think Real Madrid have a squad of 24 players of the caliber of Modric and Ronaldo and Barca 25 of the caliber of Messi; they don't. Look at the squads and you start realizing that they too have the academy players and average guys who are willing to sit in the stands at times, on the bench at times and still give it all they've got when they get the chance. Lingard should be one of those for us. Not the starting guy, but definitely not sold just because he's not Messe Lingod.
Nah he's shit. Yes every team needs squad players, of course they do, but they don't need to be Lingard. To use your own example of Real Madrid, no not all their players are Modric & Ronaldo but every single midfielder & forward in their squad is better than Lingard. The only aspect of his game that you've highlighted is his off the ball movement, so to me that says that he's best at football when he's not actually playing football (if that makes sense).

Also consider the impact he's having on young kids in the academy. He's a local lad who's come through the academy the same as most of the boys there now. What do they see? Some clown dancing around and dropping stupid catchphrases on instagram every day whilst doing feck all on the pitch but still getting picked every week. Not exactly setting the best example is it? "Right lads, you'll make it into the first team as long as you can run off the ball for 90 minutes and have top bantz like JLingz TM "

What it comes down to for me is the recruitment process. Why would Lingard move on when he's picking up probably triple what he's worth in wages and playing every week? There's far better talents out there than him that United could have picked up over the last few years but Woody & the gang of cretins on the board would rather stick and line their pockets. Major clearout needed and I think this could be the last United see of the CL for a good few years because of that.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Happy with him as a squad player but there's a major caveat: he's quite bad coming off the bench. It sort of disqualifies him from doing anything but covering immediate absence.

Regardless, our real problem isn't the young man himself, it's that we have too few quality, consistent players around him.

Andersons Dietician

Disagree. Lingard normally has exceptional off-ball movement and spots as well as creates space in the attacking third. This is a rare skill and is lacking in literally every other player in our squad, including Pogba. The issue with Jesse right now is one that's also caused by formation.
Disagree, he has good movement in that he runs a lot but it’s not intelligent movement. Seems to always hide behind people and is like a magnet to the referee almost running in to him or just hiding behind him. The amount of times he closes space or just gets in one of our players way is outstanding.

Now at times no doubt he’ll get himself in a good position or make a decent run and then his poor play comes in to affect where he plays a lazy pass or just isn’t concentrated on what he is doing. Doesn’t see the easy pass or takes too long to make a decision (which is chronic in our team)

But he's quick with his feet and has good intelligence in terms of making and spotting spaces. No surprises that his best showings came in the middle of a 3 in the 4-2-3-1,
People say good performances other say scored a couple of crackers. Scoring a goal doesn’t always mean a good performance see Zlatan for examples of doing nothing all game and stinking up the joint only to then score 2.

I've always felt Jesse was a good squad option to have. He's not what I'd like to see in the first-choice XI and specially not in the biggest games whether in the league or in Europe, but he has a solid role to play and has all the elements needed to be a good backup / squad option. Truly passionate about the club and happy with whatever role we give him, always willing to strain every sinew when given the chance and always putting in everything he has.
would agree with this, he’d be a handy person to have in and around the squad but thenis he at the point and in a position where his space would be better to leave open to give the likes of Gomes, Chong and Greenwood. To be fair Sanchez is in the same position. However I would keep Lingard around as you say, at times we will need someone who will put in the effort which the last 4 games he really hasn’t shown anything like it.

People calling him Messe Lingod was so cringe.

AndyJ1985

I hate him as a player. He embodies everything that is wrong with us at the moment. He's another Tom Cleverly, but he's made out to be a fantastic "squad player"

He's painfully mediocre at everything, and inept at many things. One or two goals every few months won't make me change my opinion on that.

OL29

Weird accusation.
b) Anyone who is familiar with my posting history would know that one of the players I've got most defensive about over the years is Antonio Valencia
a) I didn't say you were
b) I didn't say you hate all foreign players, just find it funny how you’re so vocal in the threads for certain players yet you seem to take criticism of all the British players personally. Over the years I’ve seen you vehemently defend Rooney, Carrick, Jones, Lingard, Rashford etc. It’s a shame you can’t apply the same patience to them as you do to our foreign imports. It’s the same double standards you often see from the British media. Always turning a blind-eye to the performances of the British players yet can’t wait to stick the boot in when it comes to their peers.

OL29

All our underperformers get slaughtered on here, not sure what you're on about! British or not! Look at the abuse Young, Jones, Smalling get! nothing to do with British bias! If they're shit they'll get criticised, no-one is immune to it. For every one person who defends Lingard and co there'll be another 50 who hammer him! no bias at all.
I was speaking about that specific poster.

dogwithabone

Lingard, age wise, should be at his peak. In 18 months he will be on a natural downward spiral. Get rid while we can still get half decent money.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
a) I didn't say you were
b) I didn't say you hate all foreign players, just find it funny how you’re so vocal in the threads for certain players yet you seem to take criticism of all the British players personally. Over the years I’ve seen you vehemently defend Rooney, Carrick, Jones, Lingard, Rashford etc. It’s a shame you can’t apply the same patience to them as you do to our foreign imports. It’s the same double standards you often see from the British media. Always turning a blind-eye to the performances of the British players yet can’t wait to stick the boot in when it comes to their peers.
It's almost like the words "Antonio" and "Valencia" completely passed you by in that post you quoted (and every other post of mine in which those words appeared)

If you don't want to think back that far, how about a much more recent signing I've gone in to bat for a lot this season. That well known British footballer, Victor Lindelof.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Lingard, age wise, should be at his peak. In 18 months he will be on a natural downward spiral. Get rid while we can still get half decent money.
Why? He's a decent-good academy player who has been happy for the past 4 years to have a squad role in which he has scored some really important goals for us. No one thinks he should be starting at the Nou Camp and he isn't good enough to, we all know this. It's why we are desperately looking for a right winger and there's constant talk of us signing Sancho. Why should we sell this lad with a great attitude who is happy not to be a starter and who has been with us since he was 8?

Bojan11

Why? He's a decent-good academy player who has been happy for the past 4 years to have a squad role in which he has scored some really important goals for us. No one thinks he should be starting at the Nou Camp and he isn't good enough to, we all know this. It's why we are desperately looking for a right winger and there's constant talk of us signing Sancho. Why should we sell this lad with a great attitude who is happy not to be a starter and who has been with us since he was 8?
Because he’s crap at playing football.

john moran

Because great lads with a great attitude who are not good enough have no place at a club like Man Utd even if they were born on the pitch .If he is not good enough as a squad player at Barca , Madrid , Munich , City then hes not good enough for us or should not be . Its not very difficult

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like him. Have his name on my new United shirt. But he’s mediocre. Since his purple patch between December and January last season, he’s been below any standard expected of a United player. He’s not a squad player either, he’s a regular, however, even as a squad player, what he’s turned in over the past 12 months has been far from good enough. He has way too many games where he doesn’t affect the game in any way at all. He runs off the ball, and if that is a reason alone for him to be in the team, then it’s a sad indictment for our squad. They should all be fecking running! Even then, if that’s his purpose, get someone else who runs, but is also better at football. If we line up with 3 front men we cannot afford for him to be completely invisible.

padzilla

Hipster
Lingard is not the problem really. Yeah he is going through a bad spell but because he isn't an elite player he isn't going to change things by himself, put him with better players and he will improve.
Years ago he would have been a reliable squad player but because our standards are in freefall we have good to not great players who are regular staples of our first team.

Siorac

Completely agree. It's more Rashford and Martial that are the problem. They are the ones who are supposed to be the threat in attack.
Everyone who is part of the front three is supposed to be "the threat in the attack". If we don't expect attacking contribution from a player, we should not play him in the front three.

dogwithabone

Maybe that’s the problem, that he’s happy or content not to start. He’s too comfortable and plays in that manner too.

drdoityourself

Again I see claims he's happy to be here as a squad player. That claim is yet to be tested, as he's mostly been first choice since breaking through.

Lingard is a starter for United and England. Now opponents know everything about him. His movement doesn't take him behind defences, and he doesn't turn with the ball or take on players. Defenders are never dragged out of postition anymore because they know he carries minimal threat.
He is doing more harm than good these days

Fridge chutney

Weird accusation.
I don't know why you bother with this cretinous thread. You have more patience than I do!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He is a watford level player if were being honest. Only reason he is still in the squad is because he is an academy prospect. He is as average as they come.

Smores

He's a squad player in the same category of Fellaini. A player that shouldn't be needed but is/was due to our squad lacking basic elements.

In the same fashion he should make way for youth/new signings when ready. I'd start a number of players over him tbh.

dove

He is a watford level player if were being honest. Only reason he is still in the squad is because he is an academy prospect. He is as average as they come.
I really doubt he would get into that team as well. Have you seen them at OT? Looked like a prime Barcelona against us.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I really doubt he would get into that team as well. Have you seen them at OT? Looked like a prime Barcelona against us.
Come to think about it you might be right. Let me fix it.

He is a Cardiff city level player if were being honest.

The point is is he was not a player from the academy he would of left years ago.

Lets put it this way say he played for another team and he was linked to United. Would anyone here want that transfer to happen? no? didn't think so either.

He is worth no more than 10M even in todays market. I personally would not pay that much money for him at my club.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
:lol: imagine accusing an Irishman of a jingoistic British bias.
It’s a weird go to accusation for some people. Don’t get it at all. I am British but have never felt drawn to protecting British players or made out they’re better than they are. If anything it seems more like foreign players are seen as the fancy players, with a side of grass is greener when linked with them.

grahamo

Lingard is incredibly inconsistent. Frustrating to watch. So he shouldn't start but Bringing him on from the bench is pointless as he doesn't have that game changing mentality.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's almost like the words "Antonio" and "Valencia" completely passed you by in that post you quoted (and every other post of mine in which those words appeared)

If you don't want to think back that far, how about a much more recent signing I've gone in to bat for a lot this season. That well known British footballer, Victor Lindelof.
Well said, this fella should just “pogue” your “Hone”.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
There's no point losing the plot over last night. Barcelona are too good for almost everybody in world football. None of us thought we were anywhere close to that level before the tie, did we? And you can't legislate for those first 2 goals, can you? Who knows what way the game would have swung if Rashford's effort had gone in. It doesn't negate the good work that has been done this season, just highlights what every one of us knew already, that this is the most important transfer window in a long time nd we need to get it right. People writing off Rashford, Martial, Pogba, DeGea, Smalling, Fred etc because of a bad night at Camp Nou need to take a deep breath and get a bit of perspective.