Hating Lingard

Canagel

His form dropped when moved from the number 10 position. Posting a line up has nothing to do with Jose actually getting more out of Lingard. You are trying to change the topic.
Jose didn't get more of Lingard. He simply had the purple patch and it finished.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I like Lingard he's a good squad player to have in my opinion. Not sure what's going on with him lately though he's been shocking for quite a while now.

manunited1919

Let’s not slag our own players and try to pin the blame for a loss on to them.

Instead, let’s look for positives. Lingard’s best assets may be off the field. He is a great friend to Pogs and Rashie. In the team bus and in the dressing room, he is good to have around. He also does great videos.

Did I get all his good qualities as a footballer and a human being, or am I missing some?

haram

Jose didn't get more of Lingard. He simply had the purple patch and it finished.
Nope. We had Lingard behind Lukaku and was doing well. People were crying that we should play a 3 man midfield as well because of Pogba. People dont want to accept it because they were critical of how we played that season but it got us to second.

Now its disregard the positions of Lukaku and Lingard during those times and now calling them shit. Hilarious.

Fracture90

It's always mind-boggling when you see him getting thrown alongside Rashford as youth. Mofo's turning 27 this year!

Keefy18

Welbeck was a much better option than Lingard will ever be.
I dunno, its quite close between the two of them.

Welbeck was horrendous technically as well, he was similar with regards work rate to Lingard and it masking his failing elsewhere in his game too. Quite similar in many respects I suppose.

Mike Smalling

The Lingard hate is a little bit over the top, in my opinion. When looking at the Barcelona game, it's not like he was much worse than Rashford or Martial. The former fluffed our two best opportunities to score and the latter was virtually invisible.

Lingard just gets a lot of stick because of his personality, but I think that is a little silly, because the attitude cannot be seen in his performances. If he didn't put in the effort or tried flashy tricks all the time, it would probably piss me off, but in truth he works hard and usually tries the simple options. Martials sulking and Pogbas decision making annoy me more.

It should be clear to everyone, including Ole, that Lingard will never be good enough as a starter for the club. I hope we keep him in the squad though. He can definitely do a job and his attributes can be quite valuable in tough away games.

The Lingard hate is a little bit over the top, in my opinion. When looking at the Barcelona game, it's not like he was much worse than Rashford or Martial. The former fluffed our two best opportunities to score and the latter was virtually invisible.

Lingard just gets a lot of stick because of his personality, but I think that is a little silly, because the attitude cannot be seen in his performances. If he didn't put in the effort or tried flashy tricks all the time, it would probably piss me off, but in truth he works hard and usually tries the simple options. Martials sulking and Pogbas decision making annoy me more.

It should be clear to everyone, including Ole, that Lingard will never be good enough as a starter for the club. I hope we keep him in the squad though. He can definitely do a job and his attributes can be quite valuable in tough away games.
Lingard gets more stick than the other two mentioned, not for his personality, that’s complete load of tosh, it’s because the other two forwards show huge talent time & time again and produce way way better stats than Jesse.

Djemba-Djemba

The same numptys who are slagging him off were giving many of the class of 92 shit even in the season we won the treble.

Sack Fergie, sell Giggs.
Trying to compare Lingard to the likes of Giggs, Scholes or Beckham is absolutely absurd.

Unless the comparison is Lingard is nowhere near as good as those 3.

Mike Smalling

Lingard gets more stick than the other two mentioned, not for his personality, that’s complete load of tosh, it’s because the other two forwards show huge talent time & time again and produce way way better stats than Jesse.
Of course, they are better players than Lingard. I just meant that the reaction to Lingards performance against Barcelona seems a bit over the top, considering several other players were also quite bad.

I definitely think his personality is part of the reason for the hate. Just looking through this thread you see comments about him being the embodiment of all our current issues etc. A bit too much, in my opinion.

Canagel

Nope. We had Lingard behind Lukaku and was doing well. People were crying that we should play a 3 man midfield as well because of Pogba. People dont want to accept it because they were critical of how we played that season but it got us to second.

Now its disregard the positions of Lukaku and Lingard during those times and now calling them shit. Hilarious.
First of all we finished 2nd due to combination of other teams not performing, DDG and turning some draws into win. Not the massive achievement you're making. Conte was melting down, Spurs were adjusting to Wembley in the start and dropped points and Liverpool put their eggs into the CL basket. You made it seem like lukakus goals propelled us to 2nd but in the actual reality ibrahimovic scored one goal extra in the year before. So he didn't propel us to 2nd. Lukaku was stat padding in the beginning of season adding the gloss and Lingard had a purple patch from December to early Febuary and hardly much happened since. But no matter he's our 27 years old youth prospect and will come good eventually.

redcafe_reader

But is that true? Lingard level cannot be compared with Martial or Rashford or Lukaku, even though we should still upgrade on them, but Lingard level is below them by a fair distance in my opinion. And it's not just my reaction from the Barcelona match but based on his entire career so far.

Pogba decision may annoy you but he is world class and his stats tell us a lot, especially if you compare it to Lingard's. I keep hearing Lingard work hard and give it all but for me, it's always easier to give it all if you have so little to give. For Pogba or Martial you always have a "feeling" they can do more but for Lingard its always "he gave his all".

Loublaze

ATLien
Last season was his peak. We all hoped it wasn't a purple patch and praised him but turned out it was. Performing like that when you're 27 years old, it's foolish to expect anymore in the upcoming years.
He turned 26 recently but I agree. He's a streaky player, a good squad option at best. He might have another purple patch.

el3mel

He turned 26 recently but I agree. He's a streaky player, a good squad option at best. He might have another purple patch.
You're right. His birthday is Dec 15th. Guess I calculated his age based on current year as well. :D

haram

First of all we finished 2nd due to combination of other teams not performing, DDG and turning some draws into win. Not the massive achievement you're making. Conte was melting down, Spurs were adjusting to Wembley in the start and dropped points and Liverpool put their eggs into the CL basket. You made it seem like lukakus goals propelled us to 2nd but in the actual reality ibrahimovic scored one goal extra in the year before. So he didn't propel us to 2nd. Lukaku was stat padding in the beginning of season adding the gloss and Lingard had a purple patch from December to early Febuary and hardly much happened since. But no matter he's our 27 years old youth prospect and will come good eventually.
There was a difference in how we played home and away. I’ll actually make a thread on it when im done with work. Our home record was good.

Keefy18

Lukaku was still nowhere near consistent enough, nor was Lingard.

I mean Pogba is having a more productive season this year and playing in a deeper role than Lingard was as AM / SS.

haram

Lukaku was still nowhere near consistent enough, nor was Lingard.

I mean Pogba is having a more productive season this year and playing in a deeper role than Lingard was as AM / SS.
Like I said there was a difference home and away. People didn’t like the way we played at home (and in general) but it was effective.

wolvored

At the end of the day its what he does on the pitch, very little quite often, that counts. Not hes mates with everybody, or hes good dancer on videos. Hes 26 and isnt any better than he was at 22. He should be one of many to be moved on, but he wont. Hes home grown 'one of our own' England International etc

Loublaze

ATLien
Not trying to be rude, but if this fellow did not come through our academy, he would probably be playing in some lower league and flipping burgers part time just to pay the bills.
Thats silly. The club has let go of a plethora of star academy players who were once considered destined for greatness. Lingard worked his socks off to get promoted to the senior team and he has been a very good squad option.

Red Stone

This. Lingard was his usual terrible run-around-a-lot-but-accomplish-nothing self for most of Jose's stint.

He's scored more than six goals in a season once in his whole career, and it was just because of that one purple patch. Out of his 13 goals last season, he scored 11 of them in a three month period between the end of October 2017 and the end of January 2018. Apart from that he's been consistently delivering about five goals per 40 games, which is absolutely pathetic for a first choice attacking player.

van Nistelrooy

I'm fine with having him as a squad player, in a similar role to Park Ji-sung as an option to add some more work rate and tactical awareness in big games if needed.
That's an insult to Park Ji-Sung.

Lingard is nowhere near good enough to play for a 'Top 6' side.

Loublaze

ATLien
It wasn't a massive achievement but we finished with 81 points, regardless of performance in any season that almost guarantees you second or third place. In the last ten seasons only twice have three clubs finished with 80 or more points (2008-9 and 2013-14). Also, Leicester won the league with 81 points (the same narrative of under performing clubs was used then as well) and united won it with 80 points in 2010.

United had a superior goal difference last season to Leicester's title winning team. Its also interesting to know that in those 10 seasons, 4 times only one club finished with more than 80 points. Looking at the tables will probably shock you because it would seem teams have been 'under performing' for years

This is a breakdown of where United would've finished if they managed 81 points for the last ten seasons:

1st place- 2 times
2nd place- 2 times
3rd place- 4 times, it will be 5 if Spurs fail to surpass 81 points this season, goal difference wise they have a lot of work to get to United's from last season and they'd need to win all their final games, including City away. Chelsea and Arsenal would also have to win their remaining games to get to 81 points and their GDs are way behind.
4th- 1 time

You would have to break down why the other teams under performed so much in those seasons. Perhaps its the norm. Lingard turned 26 in December, I dont know why you guys have to add years to players to prove a point.

@haram you had a point.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

You're only saying this because Park played for a successful United team. Park got a lot of stick from United fans. In another ten years Lingard will be remembered fondly and it will be an 'insult' to compare him to the next squad player who fills this role.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

I know right. Complete disrespect. Park was in another league to Lingard. The bigger the game, the more he rose to the challenge. He was pure class.

We are where we are, because players like Lingard are playing key roles in our team. He would be one of the first to go if it was me.

passing-wind

Was a good player under Jose, looks awful under Solskjaer. Judging by that he won't have a future here in terms of first team opportunities will be reduced to the bench.

Untd55

Lingard doesn't seem to have a clue what he is doing. I don't know whether that is poor instructions from the manager or whether it is him, but he is not the only one who seems to be struggling with they are doing in the team.

The things that Lingard was good at under Mourinho was positioning, making runs, and closing down. Those all seem to have disappeared under Solskjaer, which has changed him from a useful player to a nothing player.

I still don't think Lingard is good enough for the squad, but I do think Mourinho managed him better. Even when he wasn't scoring goals, he was far better than he is at the moment.

Denis79

Let’s not slag our own players and try to pin the blame for a loss on to them.

Instead, let’s look for positives. Lingard’s best assets may be off the field. He is a great friend to Pogs and Rashie. In the team bus and in the dressing room, he is good to have around. He also does great videos.

Did I get all his good qualities as a footballer and a human being, or am I missing some?
Yeah Pogba seems really motivated.

van Nistelrooy

You're only saying this because Park played for a successful United team. Park got a lot of stick from United fans. In another ten years Lingard will be remembered fondly and it will be an 'insult' to compare him to the next squad player who fills this role.
Hahaha.

Are you being serious? Park was part of a successful team no doubt, but he was magnificent. If it wasn't for him against Barcelona, we would never have progressed to win the Champions League in '08. Lingard's had his moments of course with some fantastic goals, but they are very scarce nowadays.

Park produced far more on the pitch and to be frank, Lingard does absolutely nothing when he isn't scoring stunners. Lingard is a ghost. He will be forgotten about within a decade.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Can you remember when guti was in and out of the real team. Totally Unreal player who always played well. Played advanced midfield/behind the striker and he couldn’t fully nail down a place in a successful team, he was twice the player lingard is. We used to have a squad where we could leave out Rooney or Tevez or Ronaldo or scholes on any given weekend. We’ve hit the slide so bad when Jesse is an important player. He’s not even the worst player we have getting loads of minutes by any stretch but he’s a squad player under Fergie tops.. stupid club!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Can you remember when guti was in and out of the real team. Totally Unreal player who always played well. Played advanced midfield/behind the striker and he couldn’t fully nail down a place in a successful team, he was twice the player lingard is. We used to have a squad where we could leave out Rooney or Tevez or Ronaldo or scholes on any given weekend. We’ve hit the slide so bad when Jesse is an important player. He’s not even the worst player we have getting loads of minutes by any stretch but he’s a squad player under Fergie tops.. stupid club!
Lingard would be great to have as a squad player, especially for coming into the game to protect a lead. But yes, nothing more than that.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I like Lingard he's a good squad player to have in my opinion. Not sure what's going on with him lately though he's been shocking for quite a while now.
At around 65th minute vs Barca, i said to a friend "Oh.... Lingard is playing" - Think that was the first time i saw him, or the commentator said his name.

Wish it wasn't like this, i really, really, want him to succeed. Same with Pereira, two players who really wants to play for our club, and not necessary for the money.

Bojan11

Lingard is going to be remembered more fondly in a decade. :lol:

Just like fans have fond memories of Bebe because I’m sure if you give Bebe all this game time he’d produce better stats.

Loublaze

ATLien
Hahaha.

Are you being serious? Park was part of a successful team no doubt, but he was magnificent. If it wasn't for him against Barcelona, we would never have progressed to win the Champions League in '08. Lingard's had his moments of course with some fantastic goals, but they are very scarce nowadays.

Park produced far more on the pitch and to be frank, Lingard does absolutely nothing when he isn't scoring stunners. Lingard is a ghost. He will be forgotten about within a decade.
Your memory eludes you my man. Park was getting as much stick as Fletcher and Carrick at one point. While the other two eventually won over a lot of their critics especially after 2007, Park remained a polarizing figure for a longer period of time but he did leave a cult hero

Im not saying he didn't get any praise whatsover, but some were never convinced he belonged at OT @Wibble im sure you remember. He was called three lung Park because he ran his socks off but several fans thought he was a headless chicken. Lingard will be remembered for the stunners and the Wembley goals, guaranteed. I loved Park btw, I defended him staunchly so you can't tell me otherwise. It happened

billybee99

I think some of you expect a squad of 24 Messi level players. You might be happier supporting City.

Just a thought.
You do realize that there is a middle ground between 24 Messi level players and Lingard right? No one is asking for 24 Messi level players. Were asking for a forward that can actually dribble and shoot and score occasionally. This guy has 1 goal in 2019. He went 8 or 9 months last year without a goal. You're comparing his treatment to the class of 92? He's almost 27 years old for Christ's sake.

Loublaze

ATLien

Just like fans have fond memories of Bebe because I’m sure if you give Bebe all this game time he’d produce better stats.
The Bebe part is totally stupid, you can do better Bojan :lol:

Last edited:

Kostov

I dunno, its quite close between the two of them.

Welbeck was horrendous technically as well, he was similar with regards work rate to Lingard and it masking his failing elsewhere in his game too. Quite similar in many respects I suppose.
Welbeck was better than Lingard technically. I remember he had issues with finishing but he was comfortably a better footballer than Lingard. In addition he grew into a physical specimen.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

yea for his clothing line. :lol: