Hating Lingard

ToToMarshall

What’s Jesse good at?
It’s the other way around. Both are average, but Andreas has a good shot and cross on him and is also a brilliant set piece taker.
He's fantastic off the ball, both when United are in and out of possession. His movement opens up space for everyone else when we have the ball, he's so intelligent in that regard. Even more impressive is how he can lead a press, we just haven't had a well coached press the entire time he's been here. He's useful in certain situations and games, like guys of the past like Park and Fletcher under SAF. He shouldn't be starting every game, and definitely not games where we have the initiative with 60+% possession at home to bottom-half sides. Andreas' set piece ability is greatly exaggerated because we haven't had anyone who can delivery a cross from a dead-ball for what feels like a decade. He doesn't involve himself enough in play enough (more than Jesse but still not enough) and he's an even bigger liability off the ball.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Lingard should be squad player at best. He should be thrown in the dying minutes of the game when we're 1-0 up to harass forwards and break the opponent's play. That's all he's good at.

Suedesi

Tbh at the moment even I have given up defending him. He needs to find a bit of confidence from somewhere
I think confidence is not his problem, if anything he's always been a cocky little bastard. It's his technical ability, reading of the game, spotting a pass, controlling a ball, dribbling, vision and scoring ability that are the problem.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's currently the Fletcher/O'Shea/Park of the team.
Fletcher was world class in 08/09, Lingard is not near that bracket. He's a level below Park too but still our best option in the big games at no.10 for now. Hopefully Gomes can displace him in the smaller games though.

JustW

He's fantastic off the ball, both when United are in and out of possession. His movement opens up space for everyone else when we have the ball, he's so intelligent in that regard. Even more impressive is how he can lead a press, we just haven't had a well coached press the entire time he's been here. He's useful in certain situations and games, like guys of the past like Park and Fletcher under SAF. He shouldn't be starting every game, and definitely not games where we have the initiative with 60+% possession at home to bottom-half sides. Andreas' set piece ability is greatly exaggerated because we haven't had anyone who can delivery a cross from a dead-ball for what feels like a decade. He doesn't involve himself enough in play enough (more than Jesse but still not enough) and he's an even bigger liability off the ball.
At least we all agree that Lingard at the moment is not playing on merit and we have better option than him in the number 10 role. He should just be a squad player right now until he get his confidence back. Andreas ability might be exaggerated but with transfer window closed, at the club right now, he is our best set piece taker in my opinion and with playing time, he can only get better and develop. When comes january we could then reassess where he is in his progress and decide if we better buy a proper number 10. Right now we are going nowhere trying to keep Lingard in the role. I love this team and Ole is brave in putting faith in these young players but he needs to find other ways to get goals (corners, free kicks, long shots) against teams that sit back and at the moment only Lingard is not contributing and can’t do those in the starting 11 so give a chance to Pereira or Gomes.

Strats

He has once again limited closed/limited his instagram comment section after saturdays game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Tbh at the moment even I have given up defending him. He needs to find a bit of confidence from somewhere
Agreed. Personally I don't think we should play him next match, his confidence looks shot and I don't think keeping him in the team is doing him any favours.

Skills

Snitch
He's the easily the most upgradeable player in the starting XI. But one of the managers favourites.

Greck

I actually feel sorry for him. He's basically hated for not being more talented and he can't exactly tell the manager to stop playing him as much

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think confidence is not his problem, if anything he's always been a cocky little bastard. It's his technical ability, reading of the game, spotting a pass, controlling a ball, dribbling, vision and scoring ability that are the problem.
Basically the minutiae of Football.

billybee99

Off the ball. Jesus. It's amazing how all of this guy's supposed talents are "off the ball". Call me crazy but I like my #10 to do something ON the ball. You could go to any crap league in the world and find 50 guys who would press the ball and put in a shift like Jesse if they are not expected to make any contribution offensively. You could find 50 guys in the Championship or MLS or League Two today and say "I want you to press the ball and work your arse off. Don't worry about scoring. Don't worry about passing. Don't worry about putting someone in on goal. Don't worry about dribbling or getting into the opponents box. Just press. Just run. Oh...and we'll give you a £1000,000 per week."

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's not very good. We've known for years. He'd not start at most teams in top half. Wolves Leicester and Everton have better. We have some how decided though that we are fine with players who aren't good enough.

And the fact he is an absolute tosser on social media does him no favours at all. He's like a 12 year old.

He doesn't know how lucky he is that he's played so many games for United and England with his ability level. He's a truly lucky lad. Seen better than him come and go at United and get nowhere near the chances he's had.

SCJY

Why can't he?
He definitely could, but probably has performance-based bonuses and I think pretty much all footballers want to play football as much as possible.

In my mind, Lingard should be nothing more than a impact sub in the last 20 minutes and told to make runs in between the lines to create space for others and maybe get on the end of a few through passes. What he did against Palace was SHITEEEE. He passed directly backwards every damn time.

Chairman Steve

For some reason I can see OGS still starting him in games for another month or so, as a way giving them enough rope to hang themselves and justification that they’re not good... either to the player.. maybe the board as a way of saying ‘look what I’ve got to work with’ or both.

Like when Jose gave Rooney game after game, with the breaking point that Watford away game where he was hopeless yet again.

Robbie Boy

So the Lingard fans have run out of pathetic footballing excuses such as pressing, movement, lively etc. Now we’re onto “he doesn’t pick himself” and “oh look the Caf think they know more than managers who have picked him”. Wow, sad, very sad. These excuses could be used for pretty much any player and are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to the point where the barrel has eroded due to all that scraping.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So the Lingard fans have run out of pathetic footballing excuses such as pressing, movement, lively etc. Now we’re onto “he doesn’t pick himself” and “oh look the Caf think they know more than managers who have picked him”. Wow, sad, very sad. These excuses could be used for pretty much any player and are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to the point where the barrel has eroded due to all that scraping.
You are as vindictive as I am, always picking fights.:lol:

Luke1995

I'd rather have a slow Mata playing in his place. He would still find a few assists and have some quality touches. Lingard doesn't have anything that stands out.