Hating Lingard

Mr. Ant

The thing is he can't perform against good defensive teams and that essentially means we are playing with one less attacking player, he can press and runs all game long but his passing is not good enough, his finishing is awful for a couple of seasons now and he even doesn't make those good runs anymore.

Then we have Rashford who thinks he is some kind of superstar with his shooting from long ranges and I see why are people frustrated.

ToToMarshall

It's not his fault he's not good enough, in terrible form, but we can't take him out the side because we don't have anything better. He'd be a 'fine'(ish) squad player, and it is good to have a few guys from the academy in the squad. It's not his fault Mata moves like a slug, it's not his fault 2 managers have seemingly decided Gomes isn't ready (I agree with them), it's not his fault we haven't signed a serious right-winger or attacking midfielder, it's not his fault we're so short for central midfielders he has to play there. If he was playing 20-25 games a season nobody would be having this conversation. Lingard's playtime is indicative of how crap we are, but that isn't his fault.

Kostov

It's not his fault he's not good enough, in terrible form, but we can't take him out the side because we don't have anything better. He'd be a 'fine'(ish) squad player, and it is good to have a few guys from the academy in the squad. It's not his fault Mata moves like a slug, it's not his fault 2 managers have seemingly decided Gomes isn't ready (I agree with them), it's not his fault we haven't signed a serious right-winger or attacking midfielder, it's not his fault we're so short for central midfielders he has to play there. If he was playing 20-25 games a season nobody would be having this conversation. Lingard's playtime is indicative of how crap we are, but that isn't his fault.
I agree it's not his fault but how is it that we don't have anyone better? Pereira started against Chelsea, was better than Lingard, got an assist also, and feck me he can't do worse than what Lingard is showing. The guy is nowhere to be seen. Then there is Gomes who also I fail to see how he can do any worse than what we've been seeing up till now.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Lingard is very good of the ball and he always gives everything he has in the tank every game. The problem, for me, is that he is a 10 and the main areas he is sorely lacking (end product and creativity) are the areas most important to that role.
Does he work that hard though?

I mean if I hadn't seen the line up before the game yesterday I would have swore blind that he wasn't in it.

If a player is working that hard it seems unlikely you wouldn't notice them. Particularly in a game where everyone else is just walking about.

Park is an example of a player with limited quality but who always put in a shift, and he'd have stuck out like a sore thumb yesterday because he'd have been making runs, picking up the ball everywhere and showing the rest of the team up. Players like that are usually your best players when the team has a poor game. Lingard though quite routinely just disappears completely from a game.

I mean if he is working hard, what is it he's working hard at? Hiding? Delivering deodrant to smelly people in the crowd?

I don't hate him but there is just no reason at all to play him. Even if the squad is weak, you can't have players in the team who are doing absolutely nothing.

ToToMarshall

I agree it's not his fault but how is it that we don't have anyone better? Pereira started against Chelsea, was better than Lingard, got an assist also, and feck me he can't do worse than what Lingard is showing. The guy is nowhere to be seen. Then there is Gomes who also I fail to see how he can do any worse than what we've been seeing up till now.
Choosing between Lingard when he's like this, and Andreas, is like picking between between herpes and syphilis. Gomes is very talented but I think everybody's concerned about his physicality, he's so so so small.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why would anyone hate him? You don't know the guy and it's not his bloody fault he keeps getting picked. Not being good enough isn't reason to hate a person.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Smalling is a much superior footballer than Lingard, and that's says a lot.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why would anyone hate him? You don't know the guy and it's not his bloody fault he keeps getting picked. Not being good enough isn't reason to hate a person.
Yeah it's weird hating someone you don't know personally. I dislike Lingard as a footballer but personally don't have an issue with him, he's trying his best but it's clearly not good enough and should be moved on for both for his and the clubs sake.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Choosing between Lingard when he's like this, and Andreas, is like picking between between herpes and syphilis. Gomes is very talented but I think everybody's concerned about his physicality, he's so so so small.
He's also a teenager. The size isn't an issue but there's a difference between giving young players opportunities and relying on them as if they are seasoned pros.

Pogba needs to be in advanced role really. Solves two problems in one in that we have someone remotely useful there, and when he comes deep to pick up the ball and try something daft he'll be creating space for someone else.

This means bringing the dreaded Matic or Fred back into the team though...but then Mctominay has done so little in the opening three games I'd probably consider playing both and dropping him.

Kostov

How is that actually? And based on what? Pure delusion or we can't say how shit Lingard has been without dragging another player with him? Pereira was better then him against Chelsea, got a good assist as well, he was also better in pre season. Now one of them is 23 years old with far less opportunities in the team than the other one who is 26 with shocking output in the last 12 months. Then posters like you made up their mind that Pereira is just as bad after one half against Chelsea where he was better than Lingard, and maybe last season where he was moved about from CDM to CM, and you are drumming that same drum everywhere.

Bottom line Pereira might turn up just as bad, but he is 3 years younger and might actually improve to some solid squad role, while actually also better at present. Lingard on the other hand is a well known quantity and why waste time?

While Gomes despite his physicality won't be worse than Lingard, At the end of the day what physicality Lingard provides actually? If the managers gives the kid a chance and we will find out very soon.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
.but then Mctominay has done so little in the opening three games I'd probably consider playing both and dropping him.
He wasn't anywhere near our worst player, which Matic was for majority of last two seasons so he definitely doesn't deserve to be dropped for Matic for at least another 40 games this season. I don't get how some of you don't realise how bad Matic is. Defensively McTominay is miles ahead of him, and attacking wise he is at least playing quicker football than Matic who is dwelling on the ball 90% of the time.

AneRu

He's also a teenager. The size isn't an issue but there's a difference between giving young players opportunities and relying on them as if they are seasoned pros.

Pogba needs to be in advanced role really. Solves two problems in one in that we have someone remotely useful there, and when he comes deep to pick up the ball and try something daft he'll be creating space for someone else.

This means bringing the dreaded Matic or Fred back into the team though...but then Mctominay has done so little in the opening three games I'd probably consider playing both and dropping him.
Matic should be nowhere near the starting 11, we are bad enough as it is. Both Fred and Matic have to prove themselves in the EL for them to be considered in the League but at least Fred has played well with Mctominay before so he has that. Another could be to try Tuanzebe as DM alongside McT and push Pogba forward (I think McT is struggling with the change in role from Box to box to DM alongside Pogba), if it works we are more solid and have actual creativity in advanced areas. If Mctominay's form continues to be unimpressive I'd rather Ole be more drastic and try Garner alongside Matic in the EL, see how it works for a few games and try it in the league. Our midfield situation is desperate.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't hate him and barely dislike him (tbh I don't dislike players as long as they put effort), but he shouldn't be starting games for us. He's 26-27 years old- basically should be at his peak years and yet he has no assist or goals since December despite playing as part of front 3 and for a team like ours.
People say that he should be starting over Mata (who I realize has his weaknesses as well) because of his pressing or movement. I honestly can't recall us scoring a goal because his pressing forced an error from the opposition.
And as far as the movement argument is concerned, it means nothing if it doesn't end up in a goal. I honestly can't recall him finding himself in a position when playing against a compact defence all on his own. Speed, running (aimlessly) and movement are completely different things and while he may have more speed than Mata, he rarely finds himself in a better position than him

Toni's Left Foot

Can we please stop with this shit? Smalling of the number 10s, or mentioning Lukaku to make a point. Both of them are much better players in their respective positions than Lingard.

People are also throwing Pereira into the turmoil, despite the guy playing better and getting an assist against Chelsea and then he is nowhere to be seen, while Lingard continues to play week after week.

Regarding the "hate", don't worry, posters like haram, mcking and couple of his other fan boys will be back in December to tell you how you hate on poor Jesse Lingard, when he eventually scores against Sheffield United.
I don't hate the young fella, just hate to see his name appearing on the team sheet with such crushing regularity.

I hate the fact we have/have had managers and coaches who are paid lots of money to see what any passing football supporter can see, but appear to be blind to it.

We have a current manager who played in some of our greatest sides who must surely know what it will take to get back there and Jesse won't be a part of it?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He wasn't anywhere near our worst player, which Matic was for majority of last two seasons so he definitely doesn't deserve to be dropped for Matic for at least another 40 games this season. I don't get how some of you don't realise how bad Matic is. Defensively McTominay is miles ahead of him, and attacking wise he is at least playing quicker football than Matic who is dwelling on the ball 90% of the time.
Do you have any examples of this quick attacking play from Mctominay? Where was it yesterday?

He played well towards the end of last season but he's been a nothing entity for three games this season.

He does not make himself available for the ball which I find unacceptable for a midfield player.

On the other hand when we were 3-0 up against Chelsea suddenly he couldn't get on the ball enough. If he's going to be in the first team he needs to show up for every situation in every game, not just when it gets easy.

I agree Matic was poor last season but what he does do is make himself available for a pass, and give the team a platform, which frees Pogba up to not spend the entire game taking on that responsibility. At the moment if we played Pogba ahead of a midfield two and both were Mctominay, Pogba would end up playing the same role he did yesterday anyway.

It's not just about picking the least poor Players, it's about getting the best out of the team and at the moment Lingard and Mctominay are actually doing the opposite, because they aren't doing their own jobs well enough to allow other players to do theirs.

Matic should be nowhere near the starting 11, we are bad enough as it is. Both Fred and Matic have to prove themselves in the EL for them to be considered in the League but at least Fred has played well with Mctominay before so he has that. Another could be to try Tuanzebe as DM alongside McT and push Pogba forward (I think McT is struggling with the change in role from Box to box to DM alongside Pogba), if it works we are more solid and have actual creativity in advanced areas. If Mctominay's form continues to be unimpressive I'd rather Ole be more drastic and try Garner alongside Matic in the EL, see how it works for a few games and try it in the league. Our midfield situation is desperate.
Well yeah. If it's not going to be Matic it has to be someone else. We could try Fred with Mctominay but then you are still going to need Mctominay to start playing a lot better. Pereira maybe but again he just seems to go missing in games.

Robbie Boy

This thread was always precious nonsense. He deserves stick for his performances it’s that simple.

jackal&hyde

What qualities does he actually have? His pressing isn't good and that leaves him with work rate, but I'm.convinced from what we have seen so far this season that he is a coward who never wants to receive the ball.

I loathe the guy, I really do.

I just pray he is shipped out in the summer.
Yeah work rate and marking opposition playmakers. As a 10 responsible with creating chances against parked buss, he is very limited. His form is very bad at the moment so he looks even worse.

I keep saying it but its all we can do, Gomes needs to play.

jackal&hyde

He’s not even mediocre, he’s just poor. He has very few qualities.
I d say he is mediocre but at the moment he is in very poor form playing some of the worst football i've seen from him.

I knew we would regret not buying a Dybala or Fernandes but i didn't expect it to be this bad so soon.

ToToMarshall

How is that actually? And based on what? Pure delusion or we can't say how shit Lingard has been without dragging another player with him? Pereira was better then him against Chelsea, got a good assist as well, he was also better in pre season. Now one of them is 23 years old with far less opportunities in the team than the other one who is 26 with shocking output in the last 12 months. Then posters like you made up their mind that Pereira is just as bad after one half against Chelsea where he was better than Lingard, and maybe last season where he was moved about from CDM to CM, and you are drumming that same drum everywhere.

Bottom line Pereira might turn up just as bad, but he is 3 years younger and might actually improve to some solid squad role, while actually also better at present. Lingard on the other hand is a well known quantity and why waste time?

While Gomes despite his physicality won't be worse than Lingard, At the end of the day what physicality Lingard provides actually? If the managers gives the kid a chance and we will find out very soon.
He always turns in to Ronaldinho in pre-season. My thoughts on Pereira are based on what I've seen from him throughout his career, at United and elsewhere. I don't rate the guy at all, he's bang average without a single standout quality. Lingard was shite yesterday and has been for ages, but at least you can point to things he's good at and situations he can be useful in. I'd rather neither were heavily involved, they're both crap. Arguing for one or the other isn't a hill I'm about to die on.

I'm all for trying Gomes but I cringe when people on here are suggesting it like it's some obvious answer that's going to fix everything. It's a huge risk. Throw in at the deep end with this weight of expectation of being better than what's played there recently, he has a few bad games on the spin, and then he gets lambasted, and it could ruin him.

We don't have a single serious option for the position Lingard is currently occupying. Rather than trying to convince ourselves one of them is better than they are, I'd rather we changed to a system where that position doesn't exist in the first place.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I d say he is mediocre but at the moment he is in very poor form playing some of the worst football i've seen from him.

I knew we would regret not buying a Dybala or Fernandes but i didn't expect it to be this bad so soon.
It's not this bad this soon. Stop overreacting

ToToMarshall

I’m sorry but that’s absolute nonsense.
Gomes, Sanchez, Pogba & Andreas are all better options at present.

Jesse has shown for 6 years he’s not good enough so pretty much everyone is a better option by default.
Being better than Lingard does not make you a serious option. Playing Pogba that far forward makes us terrible deeper. Gomes has 4 senior appearances (0 starts) to his name. Andreas is so painfully average. And then there Alexis Sanchez...

None of them (or Lingard) are good enough to warrant forcing us in to this terrible 4-2-3-1.

Seij

He always turns in to Ronaldinho in pre-season.
Feels like this is a thing with our players in general during these preseasons. It buys us false sense of security that we might be ok without more signings. Maybe the other teams just don't take the preseason games as seriously as we do.

JustW

Being better than Lingard does not make you a serious option. Playing Pogba that far forward makes us terrible deeper. Gomes has 4 senior appearances (0 starts) to his name. Andreas is so painfully average. And then there Alexis Sanchez...

None of them (or Lingard) are good enough to warrant forcing us in to this terrible 4-2-3-1.
Pereira might be average but at least he can shoot, control simple passes to him properly or send in decent crosses on corners. At the moment we are so hopeless on corners, other teams can just relax when we have them. I cannot even remember the last time we came close to scoring on a corner. Having Shaw taking our corners does not look good at all.

SCJY

Having Shaw taking our corners does not look good at all.
It's very embarrassing, isn't it? Needing our left back to run all the way across the pitch to the opposite corner to bloody take the corner. It's ridiculous. We are essentially saying none of our front line can kick a ball. What the hell is that about? It shouldn't be so difficult to just kick the ball from the corner to the penalty with a bit of a whip on it... not for pro footballers. Shaw doesn't have the technique or any kind of track record in delivering crosses to be given the job. We basically had our strongest 11 out there against Palace and we need our left back to take the corner and he goes and injures himself. How infuriating!!! A pure embarrassment.

I don't think Maguire has had a single decent delivery into the box from a corner or a free kick in three games. I can see him thinking to himself: "this team is fecked"

markhrad

Lingard reminds me of mata, constantly on the move but somehow hardly ever involved in attack or defense. When they do get involved in the midfield it usually results in a lot of side passes and back passes. They also do not like to tackle, Lingard, however, when he tackles its usually in a sneaky dirty manner.
I am tired of good strikers coming here, post-Fergie, and made to look bad simply because they receive extremely poor service. Zlatan is the obvious exception but its because I think everyone feared him.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Lingard is a cheap Clerveley.

Not good enough for a side who taregt to 6th like we do (yes we are that bad)

Ole's faith in him will be costy, same as the faith he has in rashyyyyy and Martial.

Ole couldn't had any other player so he trusts these 3 players and that will be the reason why he will be sacked next summer along the end of this utterly awfull trio.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't understand that why we don't play our 50m midfield signing and push Pogba into the no.10 role? Pogba played best in that position last season. Maybe Fred can come into form and Pogba contributes even more. It's certainly better option than persisting with someone who will never contribute.

Last edited:

Chaky_Best

I don't understand that why we don't play our 50m midfield signing and push Pogba into the no.10 role? Pogba played best in that position last season. Maybe Fred can come into form and Pogba contributes even more. It's certainly better option than persisting with someone who will never contribute
Because Fred is poor this is it.

He can play very good if he plays with Casemiro and Kroos. With one shield and one who controls the tempo of the game, but an average player in an average team create merely nothing.

ayushreddevil9

Because Fred is poor this is it.

He can play very good if he plays with Casemiro and Kroos. With one shield and one who controls the tempo of the game, but an average player in an average team create merely nothing.
He had a bad season, true. By that logic Lindelof should have been benched for the next season but he was played and he improved significantly.

Why can't that happen with Fred?

Chaky_Best

He had a bad season, true. By that logic Lindelof should have been benched for the next season but he was played and he improved significantly.

Why can't that happen with Fred?
Probably because Lindelof showed to Mourinho during pre season that he improved and Fred not ?

ayushreddevil9

Probably because Lindelof showed to Mourinho during pre season that he improved and Fred not ?
So now we use pre-season to gauge players? How about actually giving a chance to perform in actual competitive game? If we don't want to play him ever again than why not sell him in the summer and buy a replacement?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My thoughts on Pereira are based on what I've seen from him throughout his career, at United and elsewhere. I don't rate the guy at all, he's bang average without a single standout quality. Lingard was shite yesterday and has been for ages, but at least you can point to things he's good at and situations he can be useful in.
What’s Jesse good at?
It’s the other way around. Both are average, but Andreas has a good shot and cross on him and is also a brilliant set piece taker.

Fracture90

Lingard is a cheap Clerveley.

Not good enough for a side who taregt to 6th like we do (yes we are that bad)

Ole's faith in him will be costy, same as the faith he has in rashyyyyy and Martial.

Ole couldn't had any other player so he trusts these 3 players and that will be the reason why he will be sacked next summer along the end of this utterly awfull trio.
Unlike Lingard, those 2 are contributing at least.

Kemizee

I'm so sick of reading about how Lingard "does a job" and "has great movement" and all of this other bullshittery.

Let's take a look at the curious case of Jessie button, the forever young.

His key contribution from his supporters is that he has good movement. This isn't true. He has above average movement in comparison with the rest of the attack. He's actually fairly cowardly, he doesn't attempt to take on his man, ever. If you compare him to the other number 10's in the world he falls short by a landslide. His control and first touch isn't good enough to play as a number 10, hell it isn't good enough for Manchester United. The fact some of you think that he is worthy of a squad place is laughable. He's been at Manchester United for 10 years and no one knows where his best position is. Because, he excels at absolutely nothing. If he didn't come through our academy and we'd bought him from Inter Milan every single person on this forum would be calling him to be sold. He's the midfield darmian. But because he's from Manchester he seems to get some never ending "pass" that "it's Jessie he's a good lad isnt it? He's harmless".

Lets take a look at our number 10's stats shall we? A number 10 or attacking midfielder for Manchester United should be a pretty creative force right?

114 Premier league Appearances - 10 Assists. 17 goals. An assist every 11.4 games and a goal every 6.7 games. That's 3 assists per season in the prem.

Please, please stop defending this fraud. He's absolutely stealing a place in the squad. He wouldn't get into the Watford or Villa teams. Let alone, being a starter in one of the most critical positions in modern football.

Kevin De Bryune 48 Assists in 119 games. 23 goals. An assist every 2.5 games. Yeah he;s in a better team, so let's take a look at someone who plays in the same team as Jessie shall we?
Paul Pogba 25 assists in 95 games, an assist every 3.8 games. 24 goals, a goal every 3.9 games. From a player playing much, much deeper.
Jessie Lingard...An assist every 11.4 games and a goal every 6.7 games.
Spot on I don't understand how anyone could disagree with this analysis.

Robbie Boy

I'm so sick of reading about how Lingard "does a job" and "has great movement" and all of this other bullshittery.

Let's take a look at the curious case of Jessie button, the forever young.

His key contribution from his supporters is that he has good movement. This isn't true. He has above average movement in comparison with the rest of the attack. He's actually fairly cowardly, he doesn't attempt to take on his man, ever. If you compare him to the other number 10's in the world he falls short by a landslide. His control and first touch isn't good enough to play as a number 10, hell it isn't good enough for Manchester United. The fact some of you think that he is worthy of a squad place is laughable. He's been at Manchester United for 10 years and no one knows where his best position is. Because, he excels at absolutely nothing. If he didn't come through our academy and we'd bought him from Inter Milan every single person on this forum would be calling him to be sold. He's the midfield darmian. But because he's from Manchester he seems to get some never ending "pass" that "it's Jessie he's a good lad isnt it? He's harmless".

Lets take a look at our number 10's stats shall we? A number 10 or attacking midfielder for Manchester United should be a pretty creative force right?

114 Premier league Appearances - 10 Assists. 17 goals. An assist every 11.4 games and a goal every 6.7 games. That's 3 assists per season in the prem.

Please, please stop defending this fraud. He's absolutely stealing a place in the squad. He wouldn't get into the Watford or Villa teams. Let alone, being a starter in one of the most critical positions in modern football.

Kevin De Bryune 48 Assists in 119 games. 23 goals. An assist every 2.5 games. Yeah he;s in a better team, so let's take a look at someone who plays in the same team as Jessie shall we?
Paul Pogba 25 assists in 95 games, an assist every 3.8 games. 24 goals, a goal every 3.9 games. From a player playing much, much deeper.
Jessie Lingard...An assist every 11.4 games and a goal every 6.7 games.
The Lingard fanboys will be furious with this post. You see, they don’t want trivial things like stats thrown at them. Pfftt, goals and assists, so what? They judge their boy on running, movement and pressing. Funnily enough, these are generally categories that it’s hard to get specific analysis for. So no one really knows whether he’s good at these things - hint, he’s not, it’s all overstated - and his fans can continue to reel this kind of nonsense out to anyone that dare question him.

I mean, I’ve read some gems about Lingard on here, basically fans that can’t see what he does “don’t understand football”. Like woah, out of every player in world football to pick that apparently encapsulates what a great footballer looks like, they pick Lingard. I guess us mere mortals just can’t see the greatness he really brings to the team. His defenders have well and truly run out of excuses for him and they are looking more and more like a Rawk-ish parody at this stage.

But wait for it, if and when he finally gets a goal (you know doing his job) the fanboys will be out in force saying “take that haters” and such other childish, condescending nonsense. It was always obvious he wasn’t good enough, but anyone that dared to state the obvious was accused of being a big hating bully who clearly lacks the intellect to understand football. Well guys, all you Jesse fans have gotten your wish, he’s now well and truly a starter. Hope all y’all are rejoicing in his tremendous performances. The high and mighty have won this battle.

Kostov

He always turns in to Ronaldinho in pre-season. My thoughts on Pereira are based on what I've seen from him throughout his career, at United and elsewhere. I don't rate the guy at all, he's bang average without a single standout quality. Lingard was shite yesterday and has been for ages, but at least you can point to things he's good at and situations he can be useful in. I'd rather neither were heavily involved, they're both crap. Arguing for one or the other isn't a hill I'm about to die on.

I'm all for trying Gomes but I cringe when people on here are suggesting it like it's some obvious answer that's going to fix everything. It's a huge risk. Throw in at the deep end with this weight of expectation of being better than what's played there recently, he has a few bad games on the spin, and then he gets lambasted, and it could ruin him.

We don't have a single serious option for the position Lingard is currently occupying. Rather than trying to convince ourselves one of them is better than they are, I'd rather we changed to a system where that position doesn't exist in the first place.
No he didn't turn into Ronaldinho in pre season, he was very solid unlike Lingard who was appalling apart from 45 minutes against AC Milan. At the end of the day why bother playing pre season if we don't evaluate how someone will enter into the new season. Ole saw how shit Lingard was, yet he starts him against Chelsea, where he was our worst player, while Pereira had an assist, then the trend continues while Lingard offer nothing.

And I am not sure how can you say Pereira has no single standout quality while you can point out what Lingard is good at, and on top useful. What are Lingard standout qualities? Running? Movement? Pereira can offer the same, and he probably runs and presses as much. On the other hand Pereira has superior passing ability, and good set piece delivery. How can some of you be so patient with Lingard while dismissing a player 3 years younger and already a more useful player I'm not sure.

I don't agree regarding Gomes. The kid is watching from the stands and thinking the same way Pogba did, and Sancho did at City. He'd rather get that opportunity and fail, compared to getting nothing. Same as most fans, I'd rather he plays and even bad, but learns than watch the same shit players stinking up the place. To some extent the same goes with Pereira, he is somehow an unknown quantity compared to Mata and Lingard, which gives some fans hope that he might runt out semi decent.

Kemizee

I did in all honesty and the reason is not far fetched. During the last transfer window, we addressed an area of weakness in our team(The defence which was upgraded; AWB for Young and Maguire for Smalling)...Shaw has always been okay or not adventurous depending on whose thoughts you adopt.

We had two major issues last year, we didn't score enough goals and we conceded a lot as well. The latter has been rectified though there are still question marks as to the offensive contributions of Shaw and AWB while the former has not just been neglected but actually depleted(the departures of Lukaku and Herrera without adequate replacements as I don't consider Danny James ready at the moment for 1st team action)

What I expected this season is for us to be more tightened at the back and remain stagnant or progressively poor in attack (Rashford and Martial will always be inconsistent). I am of the opinion that most of our games will end in 1-1, 0-0, 2-1 and the likes. We will not concede much and we won't score much either but the pressure will ramp up whenever we concede because it will push us to attack more which to be frank, we don't have it in us. Out midfield and attack options are so poor for a club of our stature.

matt23

My biggest criticism of Ole so far this season would be that for the first time since we signed Mata, we're now regularly playing a formation that could utilise his play making abilities centrally, but still playing Lingard.