Hating Lingard

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I actually feel sorry for him. He's basically hated for not being more talented and he can't exactly tell the manager to stop playing him as much
Nah mate, he's hated for presenting himself as an insta footballing legend and having his own brand based on absolutely feck all apart from being a first team player for the worst Man Utd team in living memory.

dove

Nah mate, he's hated for presenting himself as an insta footballing legend and having his own brand based on absolutely feck all apart from being a first team player for the worst Man Utd team in living memory.
To be fair we give him all the opportunities to do it. Not only he somehow manages to be in the starting lineup every single week but is also the face of the club in all marketing campaigns. Next very predictable step from us is gonna be giving him a lifetime contract. We made him think he is a superstar while in reality he should be at Stoke right now. It's on us.

PaulRich

Lingard should be squad player at best. He should be thrown in the dying minutes of the game when we're 1-0 up to harass forwards and break the opponent's play. That's all he's good at.
This. He's a throw on in the last 15 to steady the ship player. We desperately need creativity and he is not the answer and has never been.

Kostov

So the Lingard fans have run out of pathetic footballing excuses such as pressing, movement, lively etc. Now we’re onto “he doesn’t pick himself” and “oh look the Caf think they know more than managers who have picked him”. Wow, sad, very sad. These excuses could be used for pretty much any player and are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to the point where the barrel has eroded due to all that scraping.
You wait till December, you will see.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So the Lingard fans have run out of pathetic footballing excuses such as pressing, movement, lively etc. Now we’re onto “he doesn’t pick himself” and “oh look the Caf think they know more than managers who have picked him”. Wow, sad, very sad. These excuses could be used for pretty much any player and are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to the point where the barrel has eroded due to all that scraping.
Yeah, if Ole can't see how useless he is from last year, then he will be gone lot quicker. It's like playing with 10 players and the worse part is, Lingard plays in the most important position when it comes to creating chances.

At this point, Sanchez will be huge upgrade on him and he is average to poor for last 18 months. At least he tries to take on players, create chances.

We should give up this 4-2-3-1 and move to 4-3-3, if at all we play 4-2-3-1 it should be Pogba in more advanced role or someone like Sanchez.

U-N-I-T-E-D

Never seen my feelings for Lingard explained so perfectly. I put Pogba in the same category, he does more than Lingard but compared to his potential he fits the bill.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yeah, if Ole can't see how useless he is from last year, then he will be gone lot quicker. It's like playing with 10 players and the worse part is, Lingard plays in the most important position when it comes to creating chances.

At this point, Sanchez will be huge upgrade on him and he is average to poor for last 18 months. At least he tries to take on players, create chances.

We should give up this 4-2-3-1 and move to 4-3-3, if at all we play 4-2-3-1 it should be Pogba in more advanced role or someone like Sanchez.
Exactly. It's such a crucial position in the system! The players playing there are supposedly the major creative force and what do we do? Play someone there who is only good at pressing.

No wonder we struggle to create and score. Still don't understand why we pushed pogba deeper when he was performing so well in the no.10 position last season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. It's such a crucial position in the system! The players playing there are supposedly the major creative force and what do we do? Play someone there who is only good at pressing.

No wonder we struggle to create and score. Still don't understand why we pushed pogba deeper when he was performing so well in the no.10 position last season
Yeah, with the players we have in the squad, Pogba should play as advanced midfielder and someone like Fred should play regularly as his distribution is good and also wins many tackles. Matic/McTominay should be rotated.

wm28600

I don't hate Lingard. He's just not a very good number 10 for us. 1 goal every 10 games, and not creative. He's a top end of the championship player.

He's young though! ;)

Anak Portal

Starting to think why this garbage always in starting lineup. United always like 10 men for me if he was in starting lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:

redIndianDevil

No wonder we struggle to create and score. Still don't understand why we pushed pogba deeper when he was performing so well in the no.10 position last season.
You put Pogba at 10 then our defence would start hoofing it upfield to move the ball. Basically Pogba is the reason we are getting the ball to Martial/RAshford/Lingard from deep.

redIndianDevil

I don't hate him as a personally but what I hate is the lack of trying to do something different, Pogba gets the ball from defence and make a very difficult pass to Lingard in the advanced midfield position, Lingard does two things,
1. takes a first touch that is so crap that the ball is again back in midfield and he gives the ball back to Pogba/McT
2. lose the ball completely
3. have a decent touch but instead of putting Martial or Rashford through, he passes it outwide and wastes the attack.

He doesn't even try to play Rashford or Martial in.

Greck

You put Pogba at 10 then our defence would start hoofing it upfield to move the ball. Basically Pogba is the reason we are getting the ball to Martial/RAshford/Lingard from deep.
We got Maguire to prevent uncomposed hoofing right? Think we should give it a shot. With him at the back Pogba shouldn't need to come too deep

Renegade

We got Maguire to prevent uncomposed hoofing right? Think we should give it a shot. With him at the back Pogba shouldn't need to come too deep
That’s what we were told by posters all summer. I don’t understand having 2 supposedly ball playing CB’s for us to want our only creative player be so deep in our half. This creative player who also has a tendency to lose the ball in our half which leads to goals as proven time and time again. That’s also with a rookie makeshift DM next to him.

It’s a rubbish set up.

wolvored

We should have got a proper DM and swapped to 4-1-4-1/4-1-2-3. Pogba could have played the LAM. I think Ole looked at this when he was reported to be interested in Rice. Maybe next season this will be addressed. McTom Mata and Lingard could have played the RAM. Once Lingard was exposed for the poor player he is at this level, Ole would have had options.

fps

For some reason I can see OGS still starting him in games for another month or so, as a way giving them enough rope to hang themselves and justification that they’re not good... either to the player.. maybe the board as a way of saying ‘look what I’ve got to work with’ or both.
Yeah I see this happening. He won't criticise him, I don't think. But if he continues not to perform, that will be it, he will move on with his other options. I imagine he's waiting for Gomes to get a bit more experience training with the first team, a bit more in line with what OGS wants, and just to get a little older, before giving him minutes. Or perhaps the aim is for Fred to come in and then one of Fred and Pogba will be that 10, so Lingard is the squad player, the back-up, but due to lack of Fred he's currently playing?

redIndianDevil

No CB is good enough to transition the ball to advanced attacking areas, what they can do at best is escape high press and pass it to the defensive/deep lying midfielders and they in turn move the ball to attacking areas. Without Pogba deep, there is no other midfielder who is capable of moving the ball up.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I think he's one of the best players in the country in a variety of different positions - False 7, False 8 and False 10.

Viral United

At this time I don't even bother if some fans hate him, He had enough chance to prove he is good player but more he play more bad its become.
Play Smalling at his place and it would be instance improvement in our team.

Jacob

He is the scapegoat we need, but not deserve. So we'll blame him, cause he can take it. Because he's not our hero. An obnoxious journeyman. A ridiculous 'influencer'. A scapegoat.

romufc

He is the scapegoat we need, but not deserve. So we'll blame him, cause he can take it. Because he's not our hero. An obnoxious journeyman. A ridiculous 'influencer'. A scapegoat.
I think this is incorrect. He is playing No. 10 for Manchester United! Do you know what this means? you HAVE to contribute to goals be it assist or goals. He does neither. So why not try someone else?

ryansgirl

A lot of people here are missing the point that re-structuring/re-building mean just that. Manchester United is in no position to challenge for the title this year and Ole knows it and the players know it. Ole is trying players in certain roles - it doesn't mean they will be forever doing that role.

Jesse Lingard is a lot more talented than many of you would like to think. Sure, he hasn't fulfilled it yet at United but it is clear that in Ole's United, work ethic, ability to be part of a group and defer to the group as needed, professionalism when it comes to respecting the manager etc are more important than being talented like Lukaku but being a misfit within the club. I love the way some of you ignore the fact he plays for England - the national team management is not into giving its footballers opportunities simply because of potential.

Cypherage

I think hate is a strong word to use, you can't exactly hate someone you don't know on a personal level, a dislike perhaps, but not hate, personally a lot of it comes to the fact that Lingard is a master of nothing really.

To some degree, it feels like he is just filling in gaps that we have no other players for and offers very little from it in return apart from he runs around a lot.

He is now 26, he does not exactly give you much in terms of return so what exactly is the best position to play him in? there is none he really excels in and I can not see him improving his overall contributions to the team anytime soon.

The frustrating thing is that I think Gomes & Chong would offer better options for us then what Lingard does, I think Lingard could be used as a squad player at best, not a regular first-team starter.

romufc

Jesse Lingard is a lot more talented than many of you would like to think.
If he has, he hasn't shown it at all. Every player has glimpses of talent, otherwise you don't make it to Manutd. I think his level is similar to Gibson, Clerverly whom cannot get into bottom half prem teams.

I cannot see Lingard starting at any other top 10 club.

Fracture90

A lot of people here are missing the point that re-structuring/re-building mean just that. Manchester United is in no position to challenge for the title this year and Ole knows it and the players know it. Ole is trying players in certain roles - it doesn't mean they will be forever doing that role.

Jesse Lingard is a lot more talented than many of you would like to think. Sure, he hasn't fulfilled it yet at United but it is clear that in Ole's United, work ethic, ability to be part of a group and defer to the group as needed, professionalism when it comes to respecting the manager etc are more important than being talented like Lukaku but being a misfit within the club. I love the way some of you ignore the fact he plays for England - the national team management is not into giving its footballers opportunities simply because of potential.
I don't doubt that playing the role of a knight in shining armor is appealing and pumping yourself up certainly has it's benefits for oneself but you both seem to disregard the fact that no one's saying he ain't talented or that he's utter shiit.

He's a professional footballer, so obviously he's got talent but what you're overlooking is the fact that he's not talented enough to be playing in a position that carries with it huge responsibility. Team is suffering because of his inability to deliver what's required from a player playing in that position for a big club.

KennyBurner

He isn’t our dark knight. You should have used this reference for Pogba, a player with actual skill and importance. Please delete.

ToToMarshall

Off the ball. Jesus. It's amazing how all of this guy's supposed talents are "off the ball". Call me crazy but I like my #10 to do something ON the ball. You could go to any crap league in the world and find 50 guys who would press the ball and put in a shift like Jesse if they are not expected to make any contribution offensively. You could find 50 guys in the Championship or MLS or League Two today and say "I want you to press the ball and work your arse off. Don't worry about scoring. Don't worry about passing. Don't worry about putting someone in on goal. Don't worry about dribbling or getting into the opponents box. Just press. Just run. Oh...and we'll give you a £1000,000 per week."
So do I, hence why I wouldn't want Lingard playing there in the majority of games either.

But let's not pretend Lingard's always been as shit as he's been in 2019, whilst also conveniently forgetting the whole team has been shit that entire time. I know it's cool to bash Lingard, but we cannot blame the entire club's downturn in fortunes and form on him. He has contributed and does have something to offer as a squad player. He's not a starting XI quality player, never has been, never will be, and that's not his fault and nor is it fault he gets picked or gets paid what he does. None of that however means he couldn't be a useful member of the squad if used well.

Also, his pressing (and how he creates space for others when we have the ball) may not be tangible and measurable qualities, but refusing to appreciate them as useful qualities isn't a good look.

Fracture90

So do I, hence why I wouldn't want Lingard playing there in the majority of games either.

But let's not pretend Lingard's always been as shit as he's been in 2019, whilst also conveniently forgetting the whole team has been shit that entire time. I know it's cool to bash Lingard, but we cannot blame the entire club's downturn in fortunes and form on him. He has contributed and does have something to offer as a squad player. He's not a starting XI quality player, never has been, never will be, and that's not his fault and nor is it fault he gets picked or gets paid what he does. None of that however means he couldn't be a useful member of the squad if used well.

Also, his pressing (and how he creates space for others when we have the ball) may not be tangible and measurable qualities, but refusing to appreciate them as useful qualities isn't a good look.
Wait, so you're suggesting that people are criticising Lingard because it's some sort of a trend, because it's "cool" to do so?

ToToMarshall

Wait, so you're suggesting that people are criticising Lingard because it's some sort of a trend, because it's "cool" to do so?
No, criticism of him because of his performances are fully justified, I do it as much as anybody else. I do however think he gets too much criticism, people blame him for things that just aren't his fault, or twist and bend the truth to fit their agendas because they just don't like the guy.

BiggusCrickus

Hate is too strong a word. Dislike him being in the team is probably what I would go for. Same as Young. I just know we have given ourselves less of a chance of winning with them both in the team

Last edited by a moderator:

lex talionis

I'm in the camp that argues Jesse Lingard squad player, yes; regular starter, no.

What concerns me is Ole relies too heavily on Lingard despite his persistently unproductive performances. We have alternatives at least worth exploring such as Mata and Pereira. In a short period of time, hopefully Gomes.

Lingard getting the start against a parked bus club like Palace was folly. He's a high energy guy but we needed someone with the ability to pick apart a low block like Mata to send the neat final ball for Rashford and Martial. Lingard just doesn't have that kind of vision and ability.

ExSalfordRed

No way near good enough to be still at OT unless as a squad player, he is a poor man's Ji Sung Park, at least park could run with the ball and pass to a teammate.

Fracture90

No, criticism of him because of his performances are fully justified, I do it as much as anybody else. I do however think he gets too much criticism, people blame him for things that just aren't his fault, or twist and bend the truth to fit their agendas because they just don't like the guy.
Fair enough but, even those who are criticizing him are acknowledging he brings something to the table, but overall it's not enough.

romufc

Nothing about liking the guy, he has started 3 games in the No. 10 role, 2 at home. Look at the attacking stats.

Lingard only brings energy to the team, and then he contributes nothing.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4337/Jesse-Lingard/stats?co=1&se=274

Mingus

Lingard and Rashford were both carrying injuries at the end of last season and really shouldn't be vilified for the effort they put in for the club during this period.

As far as Lingard not starting for a top 10 club, he started 6 of the World cup 2018 matches for England and was only on the bench for the Belgium group match where England had already qualified.

For United against the low block our number 10 options are,
Pogba, Mata
(not brilliant if the plan is pressing as a unit, which it appears to be)
Lingard, Pereira
(not particularly creative but will press)
Gomes
(probably the best option but a lot of pressure on an 18 year old).

It's early days and anyone expecting us to have all the answers before all the questions have been asked is being unrealistic 3 games in.

ToToMarshall

Nothing about liking the guy, he has started 3 games in the No. 10 role, 2 at home. Look at the attacking stats.

Lingard only brings energy to the team, and then he contributes nothing.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4337/Jesse-Lingard/stats?co=1&se=274
Like I said, that's all fair game. I myself have criticised him heavily for the same things. I just think some of the criticism has gone too far, and a not negligible portion of it isn't even based on football anymore.

romufc

Like I said, that's all fair game. I myself have criticised him heavily for the same things. I just think some of the criticism has gone too far, and a not negligible portion of it isn't even based on football anymore.
There has to be a line drawn under this criticism on the player personally. We have seen it with Pogba and Lingard.

Yes, he isn't good enough, but one thing Lingard does is he will give it his all and try. It is not his fault his footballing abilities are limited. That is for the managers to decide whether he plays or not.

No one here can tell me if they were anywhere near Lingard's ability and came through the youth and the manager is giving them chances to play, ofcourse you would play. That is your dream.