Have Liverpool peaked?

LoneStar

They will be dominant as long as Klopp is there. After that, it’s a very distinct possibility they come down a level. Elite manager.

ti vu

They will be dominant as long as Klopp is there. After that, it’s a very distinct possibility they come down a level. Elite manager.
I don't think. When the big clubs with nice weather get their shite together, they can still lure away Liverpool players. Players have personal agenda too. Some of them want to be recognized as best players rather than just system player in this elite manager cult.

It's to be seen whether Klopp can maintain this aura, while keeping his players motivated for extend period of time.

Jibbs

Yes they have, but sadly there is no team to challenge them.

RashyForPM

I don't think. When the big clubs with nice weather get their shite together, they can still lure away Liverpool players. Players have personal agenda too. Some of them want to be recognized as best players rather than just system player in this elite manager cult.

It's to be seen whether Klopp can maintain this aura, while keeping his players motivated for extend period of time.
On the flipside, absolutely none of these guys were having truly top careers before Klopp rescued them and helped them win the big titles (ugh). Robertson had been relegated, VvD and Mane were the top men of Southampton (so is Danny Ings and James Ward-Prowse now, big deal), Firmino was unknown, Salah was a Chelsea flop and floundering at Roma, Alisson was unknown until 2017, Wiljnaldum was relegated and Henderson was shit. My point is, there will be a lot of gratitude and loyalty towards Klopp because of this. Also, they probably know without Klopp, they’d be half the players they currently are. They certainly were at their previous clubs.

RashyForPM

Yes they have, but sadly there is no team to challenge them.
Yeah, this year is an entertaining but relatively weak PL, with only one truly top team. Us and Chelsea will develop for sure to hopefully challenge them, but City are evidently declining. Leicester, Arsenal and Everton all have potential to become top teams too, but it’s less likely than us and Chelsea. We could see Liverpool winning the league for a few more seasons yet, which I truly hope doesn’t happen.

GameOn

Yeah, this year is an entertaining but relatively weak PL, with only one truly top team. Us and Chelsea will develop for sure to hopefully challenge them, but City are evidently declining. Leicester, Arsenal and Everton all have potential to become top teams too, but it’s less likely than us and Chelsea. We could see Liverpool winning the league for a few more seasons yet, which I truly hope doesn’t happen.
I don't see us being on the verge of becoming a top team tbh.

Not with Ole, as hard as it sounds. The first two games were atrocious.

We'll have to put up a real fight in order to finish in the top 4 this season.

ti vu

On the flipside, absolutely none of these guys were having truly top careers before Klopp rescued them and helped them win the big titles (ugh). Robertson had been relegated, VvD and Mane were the top men of Southampton (so is Danny Ings and James Ward-Prowse now, big deal), Firmino was unknown, Salah was a Chelsea flop and floundering at Roma, Alisson was unknown until 2017, Wiljnaldum was relegated and Henderson was shit. My point is, there will be a lot of gratitude and loyalty towards Klopp because of this. Also, they probably know without Klopp, they’d be half the players they currently are. They certainly were at their previous clubs.
Alisson was hyped as Messi of GK position. He has that aura of top GK. For Ederson to moved to City and yet to displace Alison in Brazil NT is testament to that. If he didn't move to Liverpool, he may be within Real Madrid and Chelsea the following summer.

Liverpool wanted Salah for all along. They competed with Chelsea initially and lost him to Chelsea. Was it Peter Moore who said it's the recruitment system that push the transfer rather Klopp? And Salah was Liverpool club record signing until the next record breaking came. Hardly someone floundering... Very similar to KDB case if anything.

City All or Nothing Documentary clearly has Van Dijk as one of City too targets. They just didn't want to pay re ord fee for him like Liverpool did.

Firmino bought under Brendan Rodgers. Report we're also interested right before he joined Liverpool.

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/...-sind-grossartige-vereine-38247424.sport.html

Unknown, really?

Tottenham paid club record fee for Moussa Sissoko from same relegated Newcastle. Player with potential move away from relegated club is common.

So let's not go any farther than the point I previous made, but this ill informed narrative. Not saying players don't have affection to Klopp. However, it's naive to think that some of them don't have their own things, and would just stay forever. The aftermath of Klopp Dortmund is evident to that not everything would be all rosy. Andover the years, players and managers despite good relationship would still part way.

jackal&hyde

All teams come to the end or their cycle regardless of the manager.

RashyForPM

Alisson was hyped as Messi of GK position. He has that aura of top GK. For Ederson to moved to City and yet to displace Alison in Brazil NT is testament to that. If he didn't move to Liverpool, he may be within Real Madrid and Chelsea the following summer.

Liverpool wanted Salah for all along. They competed with Chelsea initially and lost him to Chelsea. Was it Peter Moore who said it's the recruitment system that push the transfer rather Klopp? And Salah was Liverpool club record signing until the next record breaking came. Hardly someone floundering... Very similar to KDB case if anything.

City All or Nothing Documentary clearly has Van Dijk as one of City too targets. They just didn't want to pay re ord fee for him like Liverpool did.

Firmino bought under Brendan Rodgers. Report we're also interested right before he joined Liverpool.

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/...-sind-grossartige-vereine-38247424.sport.html

Unknown, really?

Tottenham paid club record fee for Moussa Sissoko from same relegated Newcastle. Player with potential move away from relegated club is common.

So let's not go any farther than the point I previous made, but this ill informed narrative. Not saying players don't have affection to Klopp. However, it's naive to think that some of them don't have their own things, and would just stay forever. The aftermath of Klopp Dortmund is evident to that not everything would be all rosy. Andover the years, players and managers despite good relationship would still part way.
This is all true but read my post again. My point was that none of them were having top careers and hadn’t won shite until Klopp saved them. There will unquestionably be a loyalty there.

RashyForPM

I don't see us being on the verge of becoming a top team tbh.

Not with Ole, as hard as it sounds. The first two games were atrocious.

We'll have to put up a real fight in order to finish in the top 4 this season.
We have players like Hendo, AWB, Fernandes and the front 3 who will go from strength to strength. Ole may well prove to be out of his depth as time goes on but he may turn out brilliantly too. If he has an awful season, we can easily just sack him and get someone better in.

This current United team has potential. Two games with minimal fitness doesn’t get rid of that, just that these players and Ole need to really pull their finger out now.

Enfant terrible

3 games into the season is way to short. I predicted that they will have the best start. They have fairly easy fixtures to begin with. First real problems could start around mid of December but they will prob get through it loosing a few points along the way. I believe that in January they'll start losing points for real. They are a Mane or Salah injury away from folding.

Siorac

Nah.You put us through 10 years of misery when you got 19 leagues to go ahead. Then 20 leagues. There's no way this is lasting 10 years, not when the sleeping giant that is united will wake up soon enough. So there is no real way we can do what you did to us unless your owner and mgmt really screw things up for the next 10 years. That would put you at 17 yrs without a title. Not happening with your pull and money. Liverpool didn’t have your money when we were in the wilderness hence the long wait.
Is this some attempt at a jinx? You know just as well as we do that we'll be nowhere near a title any time soon. All that money meant feck all in the last seven years and I see no reason for that to change. We're very unlikely to win the league (or seriously challenge) in the next decade.

Deery

Dreary
3 games into the season is way to short. I predicted that they will have the best start. They have fairly easy fixtures to begin with. First real problems could start around mid of December but they will prob get through it loosing a few points along the way. I believe that in January they'll start losing points for real. They are a Mane or Salah injury away from folding.
Sadly we’ve being saying that for a couple of seasons those two are just two machines and I think the difference between Liverpool being contenders or nearly men..

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Is this some attempt at a jinx? You know just as well as we do that we'll be nowhere near a title any time soon. All that money meant feck all in the last seven years and I see no reason for that to change. We're very unlikely to win the league (or seriously challenge) in the next decade.
This is slightly negative, especially with some of the talent at the club and things can change fast in football.

Dr. StrangeHate

One correct managerial appointment and we will win it in two years of that due to the money we have.

LoneStar

I don’t think he will be there for a long time. He’ll probably leave in 2-3 years time.

And re. recognition, they are winning the league and won the CL just the season before that. Mane, Salah or VVD are all recognised as great players. Also It’s not like Liverpool is some tinpot club. The only question is whether they can continue to invest in players and their wages.

romufc

The drop will come but that is down to being 15 odd points clear on top. I cannot see anyone being close to them this season.

You can say they are a Mane or Salah injury away but you also have to realise that these players are robust. They do not get injured. Have a look at Mane's injury history.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
They have quite a few great players
Salah, Mane, Allison, Trent, Robertson, VVD

I think only VVD and to some extent Salah are irreplaceable.
And thats the beauty, sooner or later someone will try to take a player off their hand for 100m+ and as long as its not VVD/Salah they would pull a Coutinho and make them even stronger.

Siorac

This is slightly negative, especially with some of the talent at the club and things can change fast in football.
I realise this is negative, and not even slightly as you politely put it but I have no faith in our leadership. Had someone told you in 2013 that we wouldn't even be close to a title challenge in the next 8 seasons, you'd have laughed at them. Yet here we are, our best result being a 2nd place where we finished 19 points behind the champions. There's nothing about the club that suggests the next eight years will be different in any meaningful way.

To challenge again, we'd need about three transfer windows where we get every single signing right. Not going to happen.

Mike Smalling

Early days, but it looks like they will carry on like last season.

With Pep seemingly running out of steam, Chelsea not having fixed their defense and us being clueless in the transfer market, they are going to have a free go at it this year it seems.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I thought they were very strong last night & have started great. With he exception of Everton away, their next 4 games look fairly straight-forward. mind, it's a funny old game as they say.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Early days, but it looks like they will carry on like last season.

With Pep seemingly running out of steam, Chelsea not having fixed their defense and us being clueless in the transfer market, they are going to have a free go at it this year it seems.

I agree with a lot of what you've said but it's extremely early days to say anything about a free run at it. As always-time will tell

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I think that's partly why Klopp has been talking up the youth. He needs to keep the squad on its toes and if he cant spend money, pressure needs to be applied from young players coming through.

Yes i agree, he is trying to keep them feel valued & part of the entire squad.

DRM

How long did it take with dortmund before klopp almost got them relegated? maybe the same might happen with liverpool. Wishful thinking I know :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How long did it take with dortmund before klopp almost got them relegated? maybe the same might happen with liverpool. Wishful thinking I know :lol:
This never happened.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
They came 7th that year and were even 2nd according to xPTS stats, it was just an insane freak season where they were losing because of extremely poor finishing and bad luck. Bar that, they were not much worse than in previous seasons despite having lost several key players every year. Don't think it's likely to happen again tbh, albeit it was quite funny to watch as a Bayern fan back then.

El Zoido

They will have won it by March again. Other teams really need to step up, but honestly Covid has benefitted Liverpool despite all the fun at the idea last season would be cancelled. They could keep their static squad at their peak while other teams (bar Chelsea) have definitely been more cautious in their spending. Also empty stadiums really helps the better teams, a strong crowd is a big equaliser in football. I find myself not even caring if they win it again, football doesn’t even feel like the same game anymore. It’s like a reanimated corpse without fans.

Josep Dowling

United fans don’t want to admit It but Liverpool are currently everything United fans want from our club. Success, entertaining, making the right decisions in the transfer market. It just proves that hiring the right manager can make all the difference to a clubs success. That isn’t trying to bash Ole but it was clear Pep and Klopp were way ahead of all the other world managers, before their appointments to our main rivals. I was more gutted with Klopp going Liverpool than Pep going to City because I fear he will be there for years, whereas Pep would move on.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It just proves that hiring the right manager can make all the difference to a clubs success.
Hiring the right manager won’t make ALL the difference to us though. That’s why Klopp had one conversation with Woodward and said no thanks. He knew he couldn’t do with us what he’s gone on to do with Liverpool.

DRM

United fans don’t want to admit It but Liverpool are currently everything United fans want from our club. Success, entertaining, making the right decisions in the transfer market. It just proves that hiring the right manager can make all the difference to a clubs success. That isn’t trying to bash Ole but it was clear Pep and Klopp were way ahead of all the other world managers, before their appointments to our main rivals. I was more gutted with Klopp going Liverpool than Pep going to City because I fear he will be there for years, whereas Pep would move on.
I dont think you will find any united fan that doesnt admit that! In the last three years, liverpool have reached 2 CL finals, winning once, won the league and look on course to not only win it this year but dominate for a few more years to come! Painful times ahead for United fans!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They may not be as good as they were the last two seasons, but they don't need to be. The rest are falling behind.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They are very fortunate with injuries - if one or two of their main attackers were out for any length of time they would struggle. No sign of that happening.

Josh 76

Is this copy and pasted from last season?

Pav1878

Agree. This is why we need to be targeting and courting the next generation of top managers. Personallly I would go in for Nagelsmann after Ole's time comes to an end. He is clearly the next big thing.

Siorac

Hiring the right manager won’t make ALL the difference to us though. That’s why Klopp had one conversation with Woodward and said no thanks. He knew he couldn’t do with us what he’s gone on to do with Liverpool.
Why not though? I mean just look at the key players he signed. Was there a single one that was out of reach for us for whatever reason? The most expensive key player he's got is Van Dijk and we paid more than that for Maguire.

I can absolutely believe that 1) Woodward didn't impress Klopp, and 2) we approached him at the wrong time - he didn't want to leave Dortmund in 2014. But I don't buy the idea that he couldn't have turned us into a force like Liverpool. He easily could have.

Josh 76

I dont think you will find any united fan that doesnt admit that! In the last three years, liverpool have reached 2 CL finals, winning once, won the league and look on course to not only win it this year but dominate for a few more years to come! Painful times ahead for United fans!
I've lived through their dominance in the 80s. So I'm a bit more prepared. But in those days you could get away from it more easy. Now with social media, 24 hour sport channels and radio it's fecking in your face all the time.