Have you ever been closer to wanting us to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skilzzz

I couldn't say that I want us to lose but I haven't got the same sense of excitement, nervousness and anticipation for a United game right now!

I kinda remember during LVG's last season, there was a game at Stoke i think during the xmas period where the mood seemed to be the same...

Maticmaker

Do you want to cut your nose off to spite your face?
So... self harming is good???

I never want United to lose, ever, in any game, under any circumstances for whatever reason ...and always disappointed when they draw.

I was part of the crowd at OT on Sunday, we stayed till the end and clapped and sang right up to the final whistle, with thousands of others, it was a gut wrenching performance as well as a result but as we've heard often before, win lose or draw....that games gone, think about the next.

Lets see what happens from now on in till the end of the season. I admit I think the job is getting beyond Ole's grasp, but he deserves a chance to get this team (on paper) the best we have had for along time, on the front foot. If he fails then there has to be many more beside Ole, players and managers who leave... any surgery that follows will need to be to the bone!

atticus finch

Not a match going supporter I'm guessing. Fancy even toying with the idea of wanting the club you support to lose. Makes no sense to me.

arthurka

Don't want us to lose but want Ole gone. If I can take a week of abuse from Liverpool fans after a 5-0 drubbing I think I can take a L Vs Spurs.

Lee565

I guess the real conundrum would be would you rather we lose or draw, I really fear we will draw and that will be good enough for the board to keep patience with ole leading us to nowhere of significance.

Revan

Assumptionman
Still feel far better about us now than under Mourinho. That was miles worse for me. Massive cnut of a manager who also had a cult like following on here and played shocking football too. That Liverpool game last week was probably one of the worst games I’ve ever seen but I still don’t feel anywhere near as bad as under Jose towards the end.
You can feel however you want, but by every measurable metric, it was better.

In Jose's disaster season, we were sixth on the table, with 1.61 points per match, and a +4 GD. Now, we are seventh in the table, with 1.55 points per match and a +1 GD.
In that season, we only lost 3-1 to Liverpool away. We now lost 0-5 to Liverpool, at home.
In that season, we had qualified for UCL KO. We are in real trouble now.
Football, yes, football, as dire as it was, it was better than now.

If we go to the season prior that, we finished in both cases second in the table. However, with Jose we finished with 81 points, while with Ole, with 74.
We qualified from the group stage of UCL with Jose, we fall in Europa with Ole.

And the season before that, we finished only sixth (69 points) with Jose but won Europa (thus got UCL) and League Cup. We finished third, with 66 points, (in the last week ensured UCL) with Ole, but won nothing.

Ole spent more than Jose, the wage bill under Ole is significantly higher than under Jose.

Honestly, as much as we might want to pretend, it is not even close who was the better manager for us.

Snuffkin

I've been wanting the share price to come down for years. But I fear it will take a collapse over 20 years to make the club an attractive proposition, even for an oil rich party.

Damon1559

I can appreciate your rationale in your question but I just can't bring myself to agree with it.
I hate how I feel after a loss and so I will always hope for a win, but on the other side of the coin, I can see how getting a loss now might see us lose less in the future. (New manager)

justsomebloke

Anyone who thought Ole is good enough after watching us for two years doesn't know football. It's that easy, sorry to say. We have and had so many basic faults in our football regarding pressing, buildup, patterns of play, and so on. But everyone just kept screaming about better players, which don't save him, which some of us knew all along. if we take Potter for example. It's possible he won't be a world-class manager who can manage top teams, but the fundamentals are there. He develops players, he develops his football, he has a clear style. But with ole, I'm just shocked because he is such a poor coach. Now when Steve Bruce is gone he is arguably the worst football coach in the league. I do recognize that he does other stuff quite well, such as building a good group of players and so on but simply as a coach he and his stab is the worst we've had during my lifetime and after three years in the job, and spending £200m on four new defenders, he still can't set up a defense.
Oh, that must be why every commentator, analyst and pundit was clamoring for Ole to get the sack immediately this summer. :rolleyes:

Seriously man, you're embarrassing yourself with that level of misplaced self-confidence.

Mickson

Oh, that must be why every commentator, analyst and pundit was clamoring for Ole to get the sack immediately this summer. :rolleyes:

Seriously man, you're embarrassing yourself with that level of misplaced self-confidence.
Well, that's my opinion. He has no style, no idea, no patterns, no pressing, no defense, no synchronized attack. He wins football matches because he has better players than almost every team on the planet and his limitations have been clear for at least two years, so no, I don't have any respect for a pundit who thinks Ole is good because he isn't. If you watch our games and don't see all the limitations, then you don't know football. It's that simple, as I said. And as I said earlier, it can be grayish, with Potter who is an excellent coach but may not be material for a big club, but at least he has the foundations for it so you can watch the games and think "yeah he would be great for United". Ole didn't show it at any decent club and got sacked by Cardiff. Sometimes it's very black and white. He would've been sacked at ANY other top club in the world a long time ago and he will never get a top job again.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
Yes I'd rather us lose a game than write off an entire season like the board seem determined for us to do.

justsomebloke

You can feel however you want, but by every measurable metric, it was better.

In Jose's disaster season, we were sixth on the table, with 1.61 points per match, and a +4 GD. Now, we are seventh in the table, with 1.55 points per match and a +1 GD.
In that season, we only lost 3-1 to Liverpool away. We now lost 0-5 to Liverpool, at home.
In that season, we had qualified for UCL KO. We are in real trouble now.
Football, yes, football, as dire as it was, it was better than now.

If we go to the season prior that, we finished in both cases second in the table. However, with Jose we finished with 81 points, while with Ole, with 74.
We qualified from the group stage of UCL with Jose, we fall in Europa with Ole.

And the season before that, we finished only sixth (69 points) with Jose but won Europa (thus got UCL) and League Cup. We finished third, with 66 points, (in the last week ensured UCL) with Ole, but won nothing.

Ole spent more than Jose, the wage bill under Ole is significantly higher than under Jose.

Honestly, as much as we might want to pretend, it is not even close who was the better manager for us.
The point here, which you ignore, is where Mourinho left us, which was an absolute trainwreck, on and off the pitch. Ole will leave a club and a squad that is in much better condition than when he arrived, to such an extent that his successor will have a decent chance to be immediately competitive.

And you're right, it's not even close who was the better manager for us. And it's not Mourinho. He'd need results and metrics far, far better than he had to offset his destructive overall effect on the club and the mess he left.

justsomebloke

Well, that's my opinion. He has no style, no idea, no patterns, no pressing, no defense, no synchronized attack. He wins football matches because he has better players than almost every team on the planet and his limitations have been clear for at least two years, so no, I don't have any respect for a pundit who thinks Ole is good because he isn't. If you watch our games and don't see all the limitations, then you don't know football. It's that simple, as I said. And as I said earlier, it can be grayish, with Potter who is an excellent coach but may not be material for a big club, but at least he has the foundations for it so you can watch the games and think "yeah he would be great for United". Ole didn't show it at any decent club and got sacked by Cardiff. Sometimes it's very black and white. He would've been sacked at ANY other top club in the world a long time ago and he will never get a top job again.
Right. That's your opinion. Which is fine. As opposed to delusionally believing that anyone who doesn't share that opinion knows nothing about football. Which is very obviously ridiculous.

Last edited:

Amir

I share that opinion.

Statue of Limitations

After being smashed to bits at home v Pool and no reaction from the Board, hoping to lose a match is not going to yield any results.

I'd only be okay with us losing a match if it ended up denying a rival a top 4 place for example - like I wasn't gutted when LCFC beat us last year though was still hoping for the win.

Ole out, but Man Utd wins in regardless.

mu4c_20le

You clearly never watched his time at Molde then. That's alright though, I don't expect most United fans to, but to assume that just because you watch United games that you know football, is a bit daft.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Never want us to lose of course, but if we do I hope we will get another battering. I prefer to lose the next games 0-5 instead of 1-2 while playing crap football until there will be any kind of reaction and change.
I would love to see a new team with Donny, Sancho, Lingard, Cavani etc. playing fluid and effective football but realistically this won't happen under Ole.

Revan

Assumptionman
The point here, which you ignore, is where Mourinho left us, which was an absolute trainwreck, on and off the pitch. Ole will leave a club and a squad that is in much better condition than when he arrived, to such an extent that his successor will have a decent chance to be immediately competitive.
In what way? We are now getting worse results, playing worse, and getting routinely trashed. There have been more leaks going on in the last week than during the entire Mourinho's spell.

So, in what way we are better now?

And you're right, it's not even close who was the better manager for us. And it's not Mourinho. He'd need results and metrics far, far better than he had to offset his destructive overall effect on the club and the mess he left.
In what mess? In the mess, that after 3 years and 420m spent, we are somehow even worse?

Oldyella

Could never want us to lose, but I can see the reasons why people do, short term pain etc.

justsomebloke

In what way? We are now getting worse results, playing worse, and getting routinely trashed. There have been more leaks going on in the last week than during the entire Mourinho's spell.

So, in what way we are better now?

In what mess? In the mess, that after 3 years and 420m spent, we are somehow even worse?
We have a much, much better squad - arguably one that needs only tweaking. The club generally is in a much better state too. In short, a foundation is in place that a successor can continue to build on. We may not be playing well now, but it is not beyond realistic possibility that a good successor could turn us directly into a competitive top team, much like Tuchel did with Chelsea last year. After Mourinho, we were facing more or less a complete rebuild, as well as trying to pick up the pieces from an organisation ridden with dysfunctionality and dissent, the academy in tatters and so on. There was precious little to build on.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I want us to win but I do think losing would be better for the long term.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's more that when we lose during this period, I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. However I never want us to lose in the buildup to the game

sparx99

Cause of that word, if your only tie to a club and the players is success, what's the point in supporting? If everyone thought like that football would be dead and buried long, long ago.
There are goals for all clubs though. Derby county are struggling mightily right now so I’m sure supporters are simply hoping they can stay in the championship. Norwich can’t win a PL game so nobody expects them to win the league.

For Utd fans with our squad and resources we should at the very least compete with the best teams in the country in both style and results. If we lose a final or miss out in a close title race then fair enough. But by god we better entertain at least.

I don’t really want us to lose today but I do understand wanting long term success. Individual results are momentary highs or lows. Achieving season long goals are more important barometers of success.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ive never once wanted United to lose.

Ive just said I have never come closer to it because this manager unlike his predecessors is barely a coach in the first place. He has negligable coaching pedigree. Also unlike his predecessors he has a squad thats capable of big things here and now, and it's an immense waste to see it potentially squandered just because we won a game that could buy him 2 more months.

I blame that on the board's ineptitude.
All the managers have had decent squads- this is the weakest midfield we've had post-Fergie.

You still don't know what it will take for him to be sacked though, might take loads of defeats still.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
All the managers have had decent squads- this is the weakest midfield we've had post-Fergie.

You still don't know what it will take for him to be sacked though, might take loads of defeats still.
I dont think this is the weakest midfield. We are one 6 away from being a side that's capable of beating any side in the world. Conte, Pep, Klopp have all achieved ridiculous amounts without petfect first XIs.

Theres an over exaggeration of how bad our midfield is because our manager and coaching staff are atrocious and cant implement a proper system to get the best out of their talents.

Lentwood

Right now, I'd be quite happy to see us lose if it facilitates the change we desperately need.

However, once the game kicks-off, I will invariably want us to win.

Saying that, I have never watched a game as dispassionately or with as little expectation as Liverpool last week. Usually, I am a barrel of nerves for a week leading up to that game and I have to watch from behind the sofa. This time I couldn't give a monkeys, and each goal that went in was weirdly therapeutic somehow

SAFMUTD

For everyone that wants us to lose today so Ole gets sacked, well if they didn't sacked him with the total ridicule last week they won't today.

We got the game against Atalanta on Tuesday so there's no way they'll sack him. He's staying at least until the game vs City. No matter the results.

So let's hope we win.

ravi2

Why would any supporter want their team to loose, its totally obtuse to me, why do you even follow your club?
Every opposition fan I know is hoping for ole to win this game.

The Tottenham fans i have spoken to wouldn't mind a loss to get Nuno out and to keep ole in.

Lewnited

Surely you can't believe that? :lol: LVG was picking from the likes of Pereira, Fellaini, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger/Carrick on their last legs. I'd imagine a half decent manager could make a functioning midfield out of our options, just becase Ole can't doesn't mean they're bad players individually.

BlueHaze

I want Ole gone right now but I want us to win today. Feck that bs about wanting us to lose. Imagine this squad ending the season behind Arsenal and Spurs.

AFC NimbleThumb

Winning today wouldn’t change my opinion on the travesty that was last week, the Leicester game, Villareal & Leicester last season, Sevilla or the absolute shit show that we put on in the second half of last season after going top so I don’t want us to lose.

I want us to win, another decent performance from OgS would change nothing personally.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Every opposition fan I know is hoping for ole to win this game.

The Tottenham fans i have spoken to wouldn't mind a loss to get Nuno out and to keep ole in.
Considering Nuno was about our 6 pick for manager I doubt any wise thinking Spurs fan would want him out... who the feck would we pick next?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That is exactly what is reported in the media though. Ole has been given three games max. There is a very high chance Ole will be gone if we lose to Spurs (by a couple goals margin)
Reported in the media or created by the media ;)

yipthatman

I don't want us to lose, I just don't care if we do as it's one step closer to the inevitable.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Say Ole gets the sack tomorrow, what do you think will happen, there is no coach available but ZZ and Conte, ZZ has said no and Conte which would be fantastic I don't feel your board would entirely be behind him and what he wants. So your gonna have an interim till the summer? I presume keeping the same coaching staff in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.