Have you mentally checked out for this season?

pawanraj

I definitely have accepted that we will not challenge for the league for at least 2 years, even if everyone does their best work behind the scenes to set us up for success.

I've accepted that our team is full of players that I don't care much for - Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba, McTominay, AWB, Shaw, Dalot, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Lingard, Rashford, and I'm missing a few more even after enumerating that list.

I watch games now, to enjoy the few moments of good football we produce. When we get dominated by good teams, it feels expected, so it doesn't bother me as much. I'm just riding out this period, looking for slivers of hope I can take into the next season - or the one after that...

Is this what "checked out" feels like?

U.N.C.L.E

Don’t watch the games. Don’t check ESPN. Even unsubbed/unfollowed Man Utd on Facebook as all I saw in my feed was nostalgic “remember when we were good” rubbish clips from a decade ago. And this from a Manchester born supporter now living overseas who went home for the OT 100th Anniversary in 2010 v Fulham.

The club is in a tailspin and I cannot bear to watch. Sad and frustrating….

I’m enjoying this now, I love that the Glazers now have to face up to their terrible decision making. If we would have scraped top 4 then it’s just business as usual for them

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I admit that I have and for me the results in and of themselves don't bother that much. I have accepted that I was lucky to have followed this club during its most successful years and the probability of similar domination to be low. However the lack of fight, character and composure for this current set of players is what eats at me the most, they make me hate watching them play.

Zlatans Knee

99% gone. 1% spent in here. With everything going on in the World you hope that you can perhaps get some positive energy from somewhere, no point in hoping that it will come from supporting United at the moment.

Pronewbie

Peep
Didn't even know we were playing City till matchday. Glad I didn't bother to watch. I'll probably follow our European exploits but even that will come crashing down pretty soon.

wolvored

I watch every game despite my brain telling me to avoid avoid avoid!

I think we are in for years more of this shit. It will only change once our owners and all the board are replaced. Unfortunately it won’t happen and we are also stuck with some seriously shit players.

We could easily go another 26 years without a title. (Including the 9 already).

I honestly hand on my heart cannot fathom any reason why any top manager or player would want to come and work for this club unless for financial reasons.
That last paragraph is frightening and easily true for 99%. There are still some players out there who are still fans, but as the years go by fewer and fewer.

wolvored

The proof will be the summer in how Utd carry on. The new format with Arnold and Murtough; will it herald a new dawn? Will the Glazers allow them the change that's needed as in letting 80 mill players go for a big loss? Will the next manager be a breath of fresh air?
We can hope but I'm checked out this season. Top 4 gone and can see Atletico beating us, probably on pens.

Pughnichi

It’s the hope that kills you. I think most of us expected city to dominate us yday (I had 4-0) but….’what if’?

‘What if’ somehow we managed to beat them despite the clear gap in quality?

The problem for me though is the question isn’t ‘what if’ we beat city. But instead, ‘what if’ we actually play well?

and too often we haven’t played even remotely well and so I’ve subsequently lost patience with this team.

If we play well, I’ve missed it.

This team and how frustrating they are to watch, isn’t worth the suffering for me.

Especially so with a midfield of McT, Fred &…

Knowing that the club will persevere with 120M AWB and Maguire

Knowing that the club will persevere with youth products McT, Rashford when they aren’t good enough.

Amazed how we’re still employing Jones, Lingard, Mata, Matic

Foxbatt

My biggest fear is that we get Poch and buy only Kane and this shit show goes on.
Why the hell did we buy Maguire and AWB? Why did we buy DVB and never play him? I don't know. The list goes on. We can't have quick fixes. The whole team needs to be overhauled.
Why we didn't buy any players show that we have not made a decision on who is going to come in at the end of the season.

kthanksbye

I've been contemplating the reason I support this club. Apart from the name of the organization what aspect/fabric is still intact in this company that made me fall in love with the club 20 years ago?
The board is incompetent, we haven't had a decent manager since SAF left, we haven't been scouting/purchasing any good players, we do not have an identity on the pitch, the players don't seem to care either, haven't produced a noteworthy academy player in ages.
Why am I even rooting for this bunch of people?

EDIT - Say what you want about Liverpool, even at their lowest when they were playing Caroll, Riera, Babel, Lucas and all they still gave us a game, played against us like it's their cup final. Even when they were struggling to qualify for Europa, they'd never have a half arsed game against us like we did yesterday against our rivals.

Foxbatt

The players are playing for themselves and not for the team. It has got nothing to do with local born players.
It has to come from the top. McTominay jogging in the midfield makes my blood boil. Rashford running into traffic always is the same. AWB not knowing how to play football is another huge problem.
Not even Pep and Klopp combined can make these players much better. They may get better structure but it's going to be the same result.
Someone should ask Jose what he saw in Fred, McTominay and Maguire.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I wished I had appreciated those league wins more. Almost took them for granted at the time .
Yeah I remember the anticlimactic league wins in 2000 and 2001 when we strolled to the title but were mostly disappointed at not winning the CL.

I do think the post Arsenal Invincibles and Jose Chelsea league wins were pretty special and enjoyable.

God knows how much more special a league win will feel now, as impossible as it is.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't care about this season and have put my good feelings towards getting a new manager and seeing how we look under him next season.

lee82gx

I checked out after the first few games of the season. Was hopeful of a dawn with Rangnick but it seems he is way over his head this time with how much rot there is. I look at the players we have and it seems we are in need of at least 10 players. Yes there are some positions where those we have today are not even good enough to be considered backups to a championship winning team.

croadyman

The results against City and Liverpool had me on the edge of checking out, the Greenwood stuff made sure I made it over the edge.

The more I think about our problems, the worse it gets.
Yeah the problems are insurmountable

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've been contemplating the reason I support this club. Apart from the name of the organization what aspect/fabric is still intact in this company that made me fall in love with the club 20 years ago?
The board is incompetent, we haven't had a decent manager since SAF left, we haven't been scouting/purchasing any good players, we do not have an identity on the pitch, the players don't seem to care either, haven't produced a noteworthy academy player in ages.
Why am I even rooting for this bunch of people?

EDIT - Say what you want about Liverpool, even at their lowest when they were playing Caroll, Riera, Babel, Lucas and all they still gave us a game, played against us like it's their cup final. Even when they were struggling to qualify for Europa, they'd never have a half arsed game against us like we did yesterday against our rivals.
Interesting point. I recall no matter how shite they were and how great they were, they'd always give us a hell of a game, especially at Anfield. United can't say the same that's for sure.

maroon

Waiting for the Netflix documentary, "The rise and fall of United".

croadyman

I don't care about this season and have put my good feelings towards getting a new manager and seeing how we look under him next season.
Close to checking out because no confidence anyone can sort these cowards out

Volksie316

Absolutely and not necessarily because of terrible results.

I can handle losing, but what I can't handle is players who don't try, which is clearly the case with so many of these players.

Us fans like to moan, if we don't think a player is good enough, but I don't think I have ever questioned the professionalism of a player before, even if I though they were clearly not good enough for us.

I can think of many players over the years, who were clearly not United level, but I never doubted the fact that, they were at least trying. It was just on the manager at the time, for picking players, clearly not good enough.

So many players we have at the club now, have terrible and stinking attitudes and they include the following.....

Ronaldo
Rashford
Maguire
Lingard

The sooner they leave the better. I never thought I would ever say that about Ronaldo, but this version of him is a disgrace to our club, and I honestly cannot wait to see the back of him. Sad to say, but it's the truth.

foolsgold

Hoping for a miracle in the champions league, but other than that struggling a bit to engage. It's just awful to watch

el3mel

I have been mentally checked out from this season ever since the 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Kind of - sure.

Still have an insane hope we'll pull something crazy in the CL, though.

We'll probably exit quietly, of course - and then the only thing remaining will be the active interest in Liverpool not winning anything.

Pretty pathetic, yes - but there it is.

Fts 74

I keep telling myself I don't care it's just where we are at the moment I'm not bothered if we lose etc etc, then end up watching the game and end up fuming like I did Sunday.

I suppose when you've supported utd for 40 years it's not as simple as you think it is to just check out mentally.

I love utd always will and its painful seeing where we are at the moment I just want this season over with and really hope the club makes some tough decisions over the summer and us fans can at least get on board with the direction they want to go in.

Given where we are now, most of us would accept a decent managerial appointment, a few players shipped out and some young hungry players brought in/given a chance and look to play decent progressive football even if it means we don't challenge for a couple of years show us that we have a plan at last.

croadyman

Right
So get the right man in and he’ll have cash to spend
The right man for me is Ten Hag and like I said in another post need to sign an absolute minimum this summer of CDM, ST, RB/RW, could do with a tempo controlling CM too.

Robindinho

Pretty much, I still have score updates on my phone but now don't mind if other plans clash with games - which I used to always try not to do.

Last two league games for example... was at a christening on Sunday, so missed the City game and missed Watford to go watch Blood Brothers.

USREDEVIL

I have no hope for this team doing anything. Their form is so hit or miss that even hoping for 4th place is beyond me. I'm just going to watch the circus until the summer. I can't even bring myself to say oh we need this or that, or sign this guy or that. Done that too many times over the last 4 years or so only to be here again. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Marcus

I have no hope for this team anymore. In this time of global turmoil, I know it is trivial to look for some small comfort in football. But anyway, there is none to be found at this club.

Bestietom

I'm still hanging on there and hoping for a miracle, but yes I do wish this season was over. Then if there is not very big changes and improvements throughout, I will not be travelling over as much next season.

Maticmaker

No, of course not!!
:rolleyes:
"Into every life a little rain will fall"... we being deluged at the moment, but keep coming up for air!

'Real life' is now seeping into the club, Ralf is in the hot seat in order to clean out the stables, this and next season.
In the meantime we look for some up and coming manager (the established ones won't touch us with a barge pole!)... one who is defying the odds in his current own backyard, e.g. a bit like SAF was doing with Aberdeen up in Scotland, mixing it with Rangers and Celtic, when Martin Edwards signed him up.

Then we are all set fair for the next decade :D