Herrera confirms his departure

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If our midfield was stacked with other good options then this wouldn’t be such bad news but it’s not.

This also means midfield now needs ore money spending on it as well as up front, left and right MF and defence.

He’s our 2nd best midfielder ... maybe some would argue our best midfielder and the likes of Matic, Fred, McT and Perreira aren’t good enough to boss games. This, coupled with the inconsistency of Pogba mean Ander is a big loss. Some serious shopping needed on midfield now.

C'est Moi Cantona

Under the circumstances Fergie would have booted him out the door with his tail between his legs, we're here releasing a good bye video, and talking about him as some sort of ex legend.

finneh

Under the circumstances Fergie would have booted him out the door with his tail between his legs, we're here releasing a good bye video, and talking about him as some sort of ex legend.
Fergie would have tied him up to a 5 year deal on £100k a week back in 2017. Hes exactly the kind of player Fergie would have looked after.

He certainly wouldn't have triggered his one year extension by post and then not even spoken about a new contract until it was 6 months from finishing.

Abject stupidity from the board.

Loublaze

ATLien
Fergie would have tied him up to a 5 year deal on £100k a week back in 2017. Hes exactly the kind of player Fergie would have looked after.

He certainly wouldn't have triggered his one year extension by post and then not even spoken about a new contract until it was 6 months from finishing.

Abject stupidity from the board.
Lets not pretend we know what Fergie would do. He might've not even signed the waster in the first place

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Pretty sure Fergie wasn't a tyrant and would have appreciated a player saying goodbye, especially one like Herrera.

finneh

Lets not pretend we know what Fergie would do. He might've not even signed the waster in the first place
Bizarre comment given the elevated role similar players such as Park, Fletcher, Butt, P.Neville had in his teams.

It's also been reported that Herrera was a Fergie target who was due to be signed in 2013, Moyes then dithered until the final day of the transfer window so it didn't happen until a year later.

You have the aura of a scorned ex. "waster" when talking about one of our player of the years.

C'est Moi Cantona

Pretty sure Fergie wasn't a tyrant and would have appreciated a player saying goodbye, especially one like Herrera.
Not so sure he'd have been fawning over a player who he wanted to keep, who wouldn't sign a new deal, and then left for more money.

Obviously Fergie was a winner who ran things professionally, so the circumstances would probably never have played out like this, but that wasn't the point.

Loublaze

ATLien
Bizarre comment given the elevated role similar players such as Park, Fletcher, Butt, P.Neville had in his teams.

It's also been reported that Herrera was a Fergie target who was due to be signed in 2013, Moyes then dithered until the final day of the transfer window so it didn't happen until a year later.

You have the aura of a scorned ex. "waster" when talking about one of our player of the years.
He was scouted some years before Fergie retired, he obviously wasn't in a hurry to sign him. We needed players in that position. Maybe it was the 'lack of value' in the transfer market? He wasted no time signing Bebe when he never watched him play

Kaglish10

What the feck even is this? I've read a lot of shit on here, and this is up there with the worst.
This is really funny. You don't know Herrera was brought in as a creative midfielder but failed as one? When did you start to follow Manutd?

finneh

He was scouted some years before Fergie retired, he obviously wasn't in a hurry to sign him. We needed players in that position. Maybe it was the 'lack of value' in the transfer market? He wasted no time signing Bebe when he never watched him play

RD94

Just an average player in a average team,nothing more to say.He is a Smalling of midfield,good at some things but awful at other.

Easily replaceable.

Selbourne

Loved him here.

Anyone with a brain could just tell he gave it his absolute all here and you can't fault him at that.

Had good runs of form for us, but he either got injured or just got played a different role (LVG)

Wish he was with us when we actually had a coherent team. I think he would have been a fan favorite for us.

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Decent player but not hard to replace. If he wanted to go then it's for the best. We need 100% commitment from everyone

ToToMarshall

He was never my favourite player, incredibly limited technically and I never really got the love-in. However I don’t hate him for doing what he’s done, from his perspective he’s been treated quite poorly by United.

He was named player of the season in 2017, at that point he had 2 years left on his deal, it was the ideal time to get him in and renew. But we’re run by apes and we let it get to a situation where a club that’s much more geared to winning things could offer to double or triple his current wage, all at an age for Herrera were it will be his last big contract. I’d have done exactly the same thing in his position.

Halftrack

This is really funny. You don't know Herrera was brought in as a creative midfielder but failed as one? When did you start to follow Manutd?
He never had the chance to fail as a creative player, because van Gaal had no interest in using him as one. Herrera's style of play was anathema to the kind of football van Gaal wanted to implement, so he was instructed to be more conservative and take less risks. By the time Mourinho got here, Herrera was doing well enough as a box-to-box midfielder that Mourinho was content to keep deploying him as such.

Besides, what the feck does that have to do with anything? Even if he had failed, he turned out to be a pretty decent player for us, certainly one of our better ones in the post-Ferguson years.

He's a handy player to have, and has been one of our best in stretches. Saying "he's the reason we're 6th" is laughable, unless you're implying that we'd have finished lower without him. Because we would have.

Sing you a song

He wouldn’t have loved him running down his contract and joining a money club for free though so let’s not try kidding anyone here.
Let’s also not kid ourselves that we wont see more and more of these “free “ transfers where the players pocket all the cash it’s the way football is going
Sanchez
Ramsey
Herrera
The only way they got the hysterical wages is because no fee paid

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Aaaaah. This is like the ex who left you for someone else and now you are angry.

My friend. I know it hurts. He was the one player who used to give his all for us when he was on the pitch (unlike most of our squad). I get that.
But we will move on.
Scott McT is the one set to replace him and in the last few months of last season, he did okay.
Don't hold any ill-feeling towards Ander - let him go and look forward to new players who will be arriving.

Aaaaah. This is like the ex who left you for someone else and now you are angry.

My friend. I know it hurts. He was the one player who used to give his all for us when he was on the pitch (unlike most of our squad). I get that.
But we will move on.
Scott McT is the one set to replace him and in the last few months of last season, he did okay.
Don't hold any ill-feeling towards Ander - let him go and look forward to new players who will be arriving.
He's not wrong though.

Ekeke

We wouldnt be under these circumstances under Fergie, we'd have renewed his contract years ago.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We wouldnt be under these circumstances under Fergie, we'd have renewed his contract years ago.
Also as Fergie was scouting him and wanted him, he would have made sure he was used properly. Think a few players were affected badly by him retiring.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given he hasn't signed with PSG and latest rumours were he may not and may actually be going to Atletico does anyone think there may be a chance he re-signs with us or do we think all parties have now moved on?

Would be horrible if he ended up going to someone like Arsenal

Decomposing In Paris

Given he hasn't signed with PSG and latest rumours were he may not and may actually be going to Atletico does anyone think there may be a chance he re-signs with us or do we think all parties have now moved on?

I'd actually be happy to see it happen, but I think we're all moving on (him included).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Why would he sign for us if he has a chance to join Atletico, outside of money?

charlenefan

Because he's settled in Manchester? I mean I know he's Spanish so it's like going home but that's one reason. He clearly has an affection for the club as well

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's probably got a good relationship with a lot of the staff and players, he knows he'd be a starter and he's loved by our fans and I think he probably does have a soft spot for the club. On the other hand, Atletico are a fantastic club, competing for the highest honours in his home country (and over the last few years have been competing highly in Europe too) and have one of the best managers in the world.

Bwuk

No chance he'll end up here but I'd take him back. He's better than any of our midfielders bar Pogba.

Ekeke

If the suggestion that we offered him a pay cut is true then I think we'd be the least likely club he signs for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because he's settled in Manchester? I mean I know he's Spanish so it's like going home but that's one reason. He clearly has an affection for the club as well
I don't put a lot of stock on player's affection but that's only me. And Atletico have better players even with recent departures, a better coach and they generally play at a higher level.

redshaw

I doubt he'd be re-signd.

I've been waiting for PSG to announce it as I have doubts it was true but you'd expect PSG to quash the rumours at some point although I get the idea it's best not to.

Atletico aren't going to spend anywhere 300k a week on him regardless of signing on fee so it sounds like the whole thing was made up to deceive United into signing him on stupid wages.

Also in an article it said Herrera was still on the wages at United and it expires in the next week ot two, sounds odd as well but maybe that's why he hasn't signed for anyone yet?

jackal&hyde

Why is that clear? He chose to run down his contract and he had an offer on the table that he refused.

To much is made out of players style of play in connection with "he cares". Players like Berba and Pogba were/are deemed to not care and workhorses with very limited output are seen to love the club, even when their decisions make it obvious that is not the case.

prateik

He isnt going to re-sign.
He will get a signing on fee wherever he goes as a free agent. We arent going to be paying that sort of money in wages for someone we considered a squad player.

Too late.. I like him. Hope he gets a great club.

EireRed_GS

his contract isnt up until the end of the month is it not? Im sure after that he'll be announced for psg

charlenefan

Why is that clear? He chose to run down his contract and he had an offer on the table that he refused.

To much is made out of players style of play in connection with "he cares". Players like Berba and Pogba were/are deemed to not care and workhorses with very limited output are seen to love the club, even when their decisions make it obvious that is not the case.
You clearly dont know what you're talking about