Herrera confirms his departure

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You think it was his decision? The cnut Herrera read all the posts praising him and believed his own hype, asking for transfer wages that befit world class players. He apparently turned down 150K, almost doubling his current wages. In the end it was all about the money
He asked for a wage that would match what he was being offered out in the open market.

Most employees in their day job would do the same, especially if it was their last major salary of their career.

Funny, you call him a cnut and call people criticising Pogba a racist. You're on a roll, aren't you.

Bojan11

Or possibly his contract running out and having the chance to play somewhere else.

If he didn't want to sign he should have been sold last summer. Having players in the last year of their contracts is no good for them or the team. Where is the incentive to give a feck if things go badly?

Wage demands are a mute point at a club paying Sanchez 500k a week. Anyone can reasonably demand whatever they want.
Isn’t that the Glazers though?

Pretty sure I read those buffoons prefer if we get the players in the last year of their contracts and then increase their wages, so that they don’t have to increase their wages two years before and pay them the increased wages earlier. It means they save money even though the player could also say screw you too.

Loublaze

ATLien
He asked for a wage that would match what he was being offered out in the open market.

Most employees in their day job would do the same, especially if it was their last major salary of their career.

Funny, you call him a cnut and call people criticising Pogba a racist. You're on a roll, aren't you.
Yes im on a goddamn roll. You're conflating issues

Kaglish10

He was never a playmaker anyway, who was stupid enough to think that ?
That was what he was touted to be. He played lot of matches as an attacking midfielder for Bilbao. He was bigged up as a creative fulcrum but alas!

InfiniteBoredom

Our fans are such an entitled bunch of manchild it’s unbelievable.

He always gave his all on the pitch, behaved professionally and respected the club/fans. Now he’s at the point when this is his last big contract, and with us languishing in the middle of nowhere, a chance to compete for the CL as well. Why the feck do we have to make it personal?

Whether he’s been good enough or not, his conduct throughout are without blemish. He was right to ask for more money/longer term, the club was right to refuse if they think it’s not worth it, that’s all there is to it.

OohAahMartial

The mistake was not selling him 2 years ago. Should be a policy, anyone not re-signing 2 years before contract expiry is automatically put on the transfer list. 1) To protect resale value 2) To prevent damaging dressing room spirit by having a player who doesn't really want to stay hanging around. If they don't re-sign it means they're effectively handing in their notice, and any company wants them out as soon as possible.

That we extended Jones, and Young contracts is entirely separate issue. Fact is though that they can still be sold, just now for more money than they before. The problem is we need to sell or release Valencia, Rojo, Darmian first. Possibly even Bailly, the new Phil Jones. The defensive squad is just an unmitigated pile of shite. As Keane said, need to sign a whole new backline.

starman

He's the reason we're in 6th.
This is nonsense. He was player of the year for our most successful year, post SAF.
His injury co-insiders with the start of this bad run and anyone with half a brain cell knows Pogba is at his best when he is next to him.
We are 6th more to do with him not playing every game and that goes back to Jose

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He runs down his contract for us to get nothing, although he only performed in one season out of five.

I don't know why the tears from some here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah. If he didn't fail in the role he was signed, we wouldn't be languishing for years. He's part of the mess
Were you working with Van Gaal and did he explain what was the role expected from Herrera?

Enigma_87

You know who
He has been good servant to the club. Nice bloke and character as well. Wish him luck. Can't blame him getting better terms at PSG, he will be looking to his last big contract and we couldn't offer him as much.

Oggmonster

It shows the state we're in when this is the fuss over Herrera leaving, he's an average player really, he would get no where near the "top" clubs starting 11s, I imagine he'll be a squad player at PSG for a few years and then he'll end up moving on. I can't quite get behind this heroes farewell he's getting personally, no hard feelings or anything but I just don't quite get it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It shows the state we're in when this is the fuss over Herrera leaving, he's an average player really, he would get no where near the "top" clubs starting 11s, I imagine he'll be a squad player at PSG for a few years and then he'll end up moving on. I can't quite get behind this heroes farewell he's getting personally, no hard feelings or anything but I just don't quite get it.
I'd rather be a squad player at PSG than this place at the moment. He is well out of it. Shouldn't have been the first out of the door.

Oggmonster

I'd rather be a squad player at PSG than this place at the moment. He is well out of it. Shouldn't have been the first out of the door.
I don't disagree, my point was more the mourning of a guy who isn't actually that good. Seems a nice enough lad but the heroes departure is just a bit odd to me.

DomesticTadpole

I don't disagree, my point was more the mourning of a guy who isn't actually that good. Seems a nice enough lad but the heroes departure is just a bit odd to me.
Compared to a lot of that team he was one of the best, it might not say much, but it's true. If I see one tweet, instagram post off this lot over the summer I will scream. They really are detached from reality.

Oggmonster

Compared to a lot of that team he was one of the best, it might not say much, but it's true. If I see one tweet, instagram post off this lot over the summer I will scream. They really are detached from reality.
That's true, he deserves credit for actually bothering compared to the rest of them, it just seems a bit OTT. The club putting out a farewell video when he's fecking off for free was just cringeworthy really. Like I said, I like the guy and fair enough people want to wish him well it just has gone a bit over the top, he's no better than Jordan Henderson and if Liverpool did this for him leaving people would think it's weird.

DomesticTadpole

That's true, he deserves credit for actually bothering compared to the rest of them, it just seems a bit OTT. The club putting out a farewell video when he's fecking off for free was just cringeworthy really. Like I said, I like the guy and fair enough people want to wish him well it just has gone a bit over the top, he's no better than Jordan Henderson and if Liverpool did this for him leaving people would think it's weird.
The video was strange. I suppose they wanted to deflect attention away from themselves, justified or not.

Red For Ever

I liked his attitude and his apparent commitment to to United.

He got a better offer, he took it, his more recent performance s were better than his earlier performances,

He is a very good, but not great player by world standards, but compared to the dross we have at present,
he is a long way ahead of many of them.

But he wont stick in my memory like many players have since my first match at OT in 1965.

He got a better offer, he took it, but not that upset he left, but to be fair, after this season, there are not many
of our squad that I am too bothered about, we need a clear out, and a new attitude in the dressing room, and that
could mean more players leaving that some of us want to keep, its happened before, many times.

Even in 1974, I don't recall feeling so apathetic towards a United team ( maybe that's partly age, but I don't think so )
but despite that I'm quite excited to see what happens between now and the start of next season.
Whatever we think of the Glazers and Woodward, I just cant see them allowing this to continue, despite commercial success,
surely they need a competitive and entertaining team on the pitch, otherwise the fan base will decrease, there will be less demand for
the United name, making all these other deals less lucrative.

I want to see a United team who's priority is to try and play football that is good to watch, and puts in 100% when they wear a United shirt,
any one, no matter who they are, that can not do that, can go for me, no matter who they are.

MoskvaRed

All in all, Herrera has been a bit underwhelming at United considering the high expectations and 12 month wait for his arrival. It says it all about our plight that he has still been one of our better signings of the last 6 years.

imamuppet

I. Am. Not. Talking. About. These. Things. At. All.

You can infer, or mind-read, or read between the lines, or use hindsight and tell me what’s behind his comments, that’s fine. You might be wrong, though, seeing as we know next to nothing about what happened behind the scenes.

But, even if you’re totally correct about everything, you still totally misrepresented what he actually said. That is the ONLY thing I commented on.

If you still don’t get it, then whatever. I’ve spent far too much time on this nonsense.
Dude, you worked it out in the end though its such a shame to see so many peeps who lack the ability to understand that their opinion is only an opinion and more often than not has no basis on 'fachts' just misguided thoughts that are channeled through their ego.

Thats the reason most people can only hear the sound of their own voice.

You did your best to make things as clear cut as possible but ended up wasting your energy discussing with somebody who cannot 'hear'.

What the hell are you on about? Did you read my entire comment or just picked out part of a statement and run wild to your imaginations?

There's no point having a discussion when you mischaracterize what I said in a post with only three statements.
You also picked up on the wum.

Stop doing it to yourselves people, you are spending your valuable positive energy on peeps who are not worth it!

Eriku

Dude, you worked it out in the end though its such a shame to see so many peeps who lack the ability to understand that their opinion is only an opinion and more often than not has no basis on 'fachts' just misguided thoughts that are channeled through their ego.

Thats the reason most people can only hear the sound of their own voice.

You did your best to make things as clear cut as possible but ended up wasting your energy discussing with somebody who cannot 'hear'.

You also picked up on the wum.

Stop doing it to yourselves people, you are spending your valuable positive energy on peeps who are not worth it!
Not my first rodeo. Just can’t help myself sometimes.

Keefy18

You give him what he deserves. This near 30 policy is bullshit. It has to be taken up on player to player basis.
Give him what he deserves? He deserves the door :lol:

Ah no, they made him a fair deal from all reports but he's completely driven by money, which is his choice of course.

What the hell are you on about? Did you read my entire comment or just picked out part of a statement and run wild to your imaginations?

There's no point having a discussion when you mischaracterize what I said in a post with only three statements.
I read it all, you said Woodward shouldn't of let him run his contract down.

What exactly could he do? Realistically? He was made an offer and dragged it out.

Patrick08

Give him what he deserves? He deserves the door :lol:

Ah no, they made him a fair deal from all reports but he's completely driven by money, which is his choice of course.
A club completely driven by money can not accuse a player who has been working his socks off all these years while people earning more than him stroll on the pitch to be driven by money.

The same team without him deserves to be mid table thrown into Europa league like we saw. There is no moral high ground we can take on the issue.

Keefy18

A club completely driven by money can not accuse a player who has been working his socks off all these years while people earning more than him stroll on the pitch to be driven by money.

The same team without him deserves to be mid table thrown into Europa league like we saw. There is no moral high ground we can take on the issue.
All clubs are driven by finance. If you think otherwise your kidding yourself. Every single suit in the game wants profit, bottom line.

Give over, he's been nothing more than average to good in spurts and for the majority of his time here he's been a squad player little more.

There's plenty of moral high ground, the club did little wrong by him. He was thinking about leaving around 2 years ago even though he had a very good offer on the table.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Too many here take things too personally. Crying about a professional taking a better contract and team after spending 5 years here.

Patrick08

All clubs are driven by finance. If you think otherwise your kidding yourself. Every single suit in the game wants profit, bottom line.

Give over, he's been nothing more than average to good in spurts and for the majority of his time here he's been a squad player little more.

There's plenty of moral high ground, the club did little wrong by him. He was thinking about leaving around 2 years ago even though he had a very good offer on the table.
Not at the cost of football and titles. Now we have become just a money driven club who doesn't care about the team, its players and the quality of football we play just profits.

He was the player of the year two seasons ago massively underpaid compared to clowns like lingard and strollers like pogba, the manager even kept him out of the team after that giving massive contract to a finished matic who didn't deserve his place over Herrera, this club penny pinched an year or more to extend his contract and give him a fair pay rise and a deal he deserved according to the work he puts and position in the dressing room. The board 's attitude was disgraceful against him and then they wouldn't give him a contract he deserves.

We won't even replace him and add to the depth and quality in depth in the transfer market this season sabotaging the team . What moral high ground can we take here.

Some idiotic rule of players over or near 30 applied without dealing it on player to player basis, completely a disaster on our part.

Keefy18

Not at the cost of football and titles. Now we have become just a money driven club who doesn't care about the team, its players and the quality of football we play just profits.

He was the player of the year two seasons ago massively underpaid compared to clowns like lingard and strollers like pogba, the manager even kept him out of the team after that giving massive contract to a finished matic who didn't deserve his place over Herrera, this club penny pinched an year or more to extend his contract and give him a fair pay rise and a deal he deserved according to the work he puts and position in the dressing room. The board 's attitude was disgraceful against him and then they wouldn't give him a contract he deserves.

We won't even replace him and add to the depth and quality in depth in the transfer market this season sabotaging the team . What moral high ground can we take here.

Some idiotic rule of players over or near 30 applied without dealing it on player to player basis, completely a disaster on our part.
See, this narrative is moronic..that's as simple as I can put it.

Shall we dissect it then?

If as you say United are "A club completely driven by money", wouldn't winning titles mean... more money? :lol: See, this is where the logic completely fails in the LUHG sort of fan.

Titles = profit! Titles = more sponsorship's! Titles = better players joining and in turn more success.

The foundations of the club currently are absolutely no different to when Ferguson was there with Gill, except with managers continually failing. Still have an accountant doing the job of CEO, so that hasn't changed except Woodward is creating revenue streams Gill wasn't able to and it allows the managers to spend incredibly sums of money.

He was offered a deal 2 years ago for at least 150k which would put him on par with arguably the leagues best defensive midfielder in Fernandinho. Fernandinho is absolutely vital to City's game, they miss him and they are not the same side and the club was willing to put him on par with that level of player and we've fools spouting the nonsense you have above.

Comparing Herrera to Pogba? :lol::lol:

When Herrera signed he was an absolute nobody! He'd done absolutely nothing with his career. Hence he got sweet fa and he was a bit part player in almost every season bar one.

Vs

Pogba with 4 Italian league titles, 2 Italian cups, one of the worlds most sought after players in 2016 and then went on to win a world cup 2 years later.

There's a justified reason why there is salary differentials.

Lets look at it logically...

Herrera is 30 in 3 months and you demand the board pay him a minimum of 200k per week / €10.5M per annum and the rest (apps, goals bonus etc)... So it would cost us at least €40m over the course of a 4 year deal.

Is there an upside to Herrera? As in, is he miraculously going to turn into a world class performing midfielder that will lead us to league titles? At 30 he is only likely to decline, meaning we are stuck with yet another Sanchez type signing. An ageing, under performing and over paid player and guess what happens then?

Is there even resell value? NO! In a nutshell, its feckin woeful, woeful business, just like Sanchez was, just like Matic was too. Short term options in reality.

We get planks like you saying "iTS tHEm GLaZeRNomICs, iTs juST AbOUt PrOFiTs".

cyril C

IMO that was heroic, when you are really a 150K player but getting paid 300K till retirement. Pogba should be getting a hero farewell as well if he manage to get us a 200m gift and 400K/week for himself...

Loublaze

ATLien
What the feck even is this? I've read a lot of shit on here, and this is up there with the worst.
Well we thought we were getting an attacking midfielder with Herrera initially and not a glorified water carrier were we not? I can't say he was languishing for years, he was an integral squad member for some stretches but all in all he was a rotational player looking at his playtime. Would you say that's fair assessment?

Fridge chutney

I like Herrera and will miss him.

But it's reeaaalllly strange for the club to put out a promotional goodbye video of a non-legend, especially one joining an odious club for free after rejecting a contract.

Camilo

It's not even about the money you suspect... Had we been a more functional club with a chance of winning something I reckon he would've stayed. Players want to win, and at this point for him it makes total sense to move on.... And especially so if more money is being offered elsewhere.

Ace of Spades

I like him, but I can understand not giving him a long contract that he wants. This should not be that big a deal, but the fact that he will be missed shows the problems we have and the crap that has been piled in the squad.