Herrera confirms his departure

bucky

Might be wrong about this, but I was hoping he was going to be a better player for us, which in part didn't happen because he had too many injuries. Can't say I'm sad to see him go, if we were in a better postition, I wouldn't care at all.

SCJY

However if we are to return to the top echelons then we need players better than Anders and the Club/Ole/Ed whoever, not being 'persuaded' to pay him more than he is worth is a good sign for the future, hopefully the days of submitting to blackmail from only average players is over at OT (fingers crossed)!
If that really is the case, it’s truly harsh that Hererra is the fall guy in the re-instigation of a sensible wage structure at the club. However, something tells me the bad decisions will keep on rolling for another while yet.

I really doubt anything has changed, because the decision for Hererra leaving wasn’t in United’s hands in the end, but PSG’s and the player. This was a monumental cock up by the club whatever way you cut it. Hererra should have been locked down to a 120-150k per-week contract for 5 years... 2 years ago! That would have kept him with us until he’s 32/33. bloody hell, bunch of clowns at this club.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBebe

I hate it that he is leaving especially under the current circumstances.

Hope it works out for him for the rest of his career.

Rolaholic

Ander was not from these shores. But he understood what our club was about.
The way his contract was handled merely shows how the club is being run.
Not like the club didn't try,he was offered a renewal last year as well as earlier this year and they were rejected

SCJY

Seems he left for money.
Yeah, that’s one major reason, and rightly so. It would be irresponsible for him not to have left, for his own future security and the future of his family. But it never needed to come to this. He would have continued to be an amazing servant to this club for many years to come if he wasn’t treated like absolute dog crap.

I’m all out of messages for today... so, Best of luck Ander. You’re too good for this club as it exists today. You’re a player borne of a bygone era. The seeming last of a dying breed. My heart is truly broken you’re gone. God speed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
what amounts?
he was worth a lot more than players like Jones and Smalling or even Martial.
I am beginning to think he didn't renew at the time because Jose was the manager. Then of course PSG came in a muddied the waters even further. He could easily have been worrying about his playing time.

iKeano

Disappointed from a footballing viewpoint, one of our better midfielders and when played alongside Pogba it freed him up.

That said, been in bed with PSG for months. Not so much red in his heart, more about the green. Slide on.

Another down side is that he was one if only two players with a brain (Mata being the other) in terms of urgency in getting the ball back in play or quick set pieces.

Worry if they don't replace him and were left with Shinguard, Dred and Grandpa Matic as albatrosses around Pogba's next next season... If he sticks around that is!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Good luck to him. Club leadership treated him abysmally. Don't understand the bitterness toward him from some fans, he's done nothing wrong.

Foxbatt

I heard what was proposed was the same as he was earning. He was an intergral part of the team. We needed players like that in the team. Players who could fight and get into their faces. Yes we let him go and keep a bunch of useless players. I agree now that this club is now a shambles and I also think now Ole is way out of his depth as the same with Moyes. The only thing going for him was that he was a player here under SAF and knows the ethos. That is it. He needs urgently to get the tactical nous in how to win football matches and how to beat the other team with tactics and how to get better players to join the club and also get the best out of them.

Maticmaker

Not like the club didn't try,he was offered a renewal last year as well as earlier this year and they were rejected
Yes he was offered more, but apparently not enough! I liked Herrera, but he was not 'top drawer' only on odd occasions, that can't be good enough for a club with our ambitions? Although I can think of a few players that might have gone before Anders, paying top dollar must be reserved for the top players and then only the ones who can give top class performances on a reasonably regular basis, those who can and do stand up when its necessary and can win you games on their own.

Full bodied red

Maybe the worrying thing is that Hererra is probably the first of four who will leave this summer who we'll get not one penny for.

Hererra - we know about
Mata - will likely go back to Spain on a free as well.
Sanchez - if we / he can find another club, I'm sure we won't be asking a fee for him
Darmian - has alreay turned down a new contract so that he can go back to Italy on a free for regular footbll.

Then perhaps add Rojo as another who'll leave on a comparatively small-ish fee and then Valencia who we know is leaving

Whatever you think about each one, whether they should stay or should go, it's crazy that we're going to lose four reasonably decent, EPL standard players for nothing / rien / zilch / niente / nada, when we paid £ 50 million for an unproven Brazilian from that hotbed of talent known as the Ukraine Premier League, won't get a lot for Rojo, a current member of the Argentine NT Squad and nothing for Valencia - not even a knock down £500,000 from Wigan or whoever....

Crazy....Absolutely crazy....

Keefy18

what amounts?
Jones, Young and Smalling were no doubt mistakes... In fairness to Young though, he took a pay cut and no doubt knows his time is all but up. He will be behind Dalot & Shaw next season and most likely a new RB signing.

Jones is 3 years Anders junior and there are probably a few PL clubs that would take him for approx 12-15m. He'd do OK at Newcastle, Everton, Palace type club.

Yeah, that’s one major reason, and rightly so. It would be irresponsible for him not to have left, for his own future security and the future of his family. But it never needed to come to this. He would have continued to be an amazing servant to this club for many years to come if he wasn’t treated like absolute dog crap.
He was offered deals, but has decided money is more important to him. Rewarding him with 200k pw is mental. Fernandinho is on 160K pw, the feck Ander is work 40k extra pw!

And how could he be an "amazing servant for years to come" when he is 30 in August? At best we'd get one more season, 2 tops and the decline would be staggering.

DomesticTadpole

Yes he was offered more, but apparently not enough! I liked Herrera, but he was not 'top drawer' only on odd occasions, that can't be good enough for a club with our ambitions? Although I can think of a few players that might have gone before Anders, paying top dollar must be reserved for the top players and then only the ones who can give top class performances on a reasonably regular basis, those who can and do stand up when its necessary and can win you games on their own.
I have just said that when the first offer was made Jose was the manager and that could be a good reason he delayed his decision. If Jose was going to stay, if not who the manager would be? The PSG appeared. If PSG hadn't come in then he would have signed, but if someone offers you more money to do your job with a chance of winning trophies most people would take it.

Rolaholic

what amounts?
Last month it was reported he rejected 200k which is seemingly more than P$G offered now but just with less years

DomesticTadpole

Maybe the worrying thing is that Hererra is probably the first of four who will leave this summer who we'll get not one penny for.

Hererra - we know about
Mata - will likely go back to Spain on a free as well.
Sanchez - if we / he can find another club, I'm sure we won't be asking a fee for him
Darmian - has alreay turned down a new contract so that he can go back to Italy on a free for regular footbll.

Then perhaps add Rojo as another who'll leave on a very small-ish fee and then Valencia who we know is leaving

Whatever you think about each one, whether they should stay or should go, it's crazy that we're going to lose four reasonably decent, EPL standard players for nothing / rien / zilch / niente / nada, when we paid £ 50 million for an unproven Brazilian from that hotbed of talent known as the Ukraine Premier League, won't get a lot for Rojo, a current member of the Argentine NT Squad and nothing for Valencia - not even a knock down £500,000 from Wigan or whoever....

Crazy....Absolutely crazy....
It is a terrible way to do business, alright we save wage, but could have got a fee and saved wages. If other clubs did this they would be bankrupt in no time.

Maticmaker

I have just said that when the first offer was made Jose was the manager and that could be a good reason he delayed his decision. If Jose was going to stay, if not who the manager would be? The PSG appeared. If PSG hadn't come in then he would have signed, but if someone offers you more money to do your job with a chance of winning trophies most people would take it.
You won't get argument from me, but why he didn't re-sign is really neither here nor there, Anders overall was not at the level of consistency we require and he is in this latter part of the season getting noticeably slower, whether that's age or he was carrying a knock don't know. However Herrera has landed on his feet at PSG and good luck to the lad.

Esquire

Ander was not from these shores. But he understood what our club was about.
The way his contract was handled merely shows how the club is being run.
Think (speculating of course) that the club overestimated his desire to stay. He clearly loved being a United player. Miscalculated PSG coming in with a great deal. It’s actually easy to see why PSG wants him. He won’t be expected to be the first team difference maker in Paris like some here thinks he should be. They want some high character guy who is not just a water carrier but can be a leader.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Think (speculating of course) that the club overestimated his desire to stay. He clearly loved being a United player. Miscalculated PSG coming in with a great deal. It’s actually easy to see why PSG wants him. He won’t be expected to be the first team difference maker in Paris like some here thinks he should be. They want some high character guy who is not just a water carrier but can be a leader.

That is among his best qualities.

RedIke

Well done Ander. Always liked him. Good luck.

But I am not too mad about this. As much as I liked him as a player, and as much as he cared, United still won feck all with him around.

Can't be too tied to players when the team hasn't won regardless of his involvement or not.

Esquire

Good luck to him. Club leadership treated him abysmally. Don't understand the bitterness toward him from some fans, he's done nothing wrong.
Think the majority of folks here appreciate his heart and commitment to the club whilst he was here. From an economics perspective doesn’t make sense to match with PSG is paying. He is fully entitled to pick to play for his last big contract.

starman

Well done Ander. Always liked him. Good luck.

But I am not too mad about this. As much as I liked him as a player, and as much as he cared, United still won feck all with him around.

Can't be too tied to players when the team hasn't won regardless of his involvement or not.
Well this is not true, won the FA Cup, League Cup & Europa League.
Was player of the year during the most successful year post SAF

dogwithabone

Wallow in Herrera’s departure as much as you like but he’s been a constant for the three post Ferguson managers and we’ve been, on the whole, bloody useless in that five year period and midfield has been among our weakest areas.

Not just Herrera alone but he has been a fundamental part of that failure. If there is mourning for him then the departures of the likes of similar players in Fletcher and Park should have warranted a much greater outpouring of disappointment.

He’s decent but there isn’t one player signed in the post Fergie era who’s departure should cause us any concern.

simplyared

Wasn't considered good enough to make that final step into the Spanish squad which sums him up really. Gave everything for the shirt as many have already highlighted. So no complaints re his work ethic. Just didn't quite cut it for me though.

GloryHunter07

Gutted, ive always liked him. Good blend of technical ability and work ethic. One of they few players in this squad i would want to keep.

predator

Youth NITK
Sad to see him go because he seemed passionate about the club and always had recognition for our fans.

I'm not too worried about his departure as a footballer though. We have much bigger issues to deal with.

All the best Ander!

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Very sad. He had a really up and down career here, but a couple of months ago he was being touted as our next captain.

So many players have come here with good reputations and failed to deliver I can't believe it's just a coincidence - there's something wrong at the club and it doesn't stop at players or management. I think Herrera will do well - and wouldn't be surprised if most of the high profile players who leave us will also do well.

fps

It feels like it's the right time for him to move on, he has been one of the better players in a terrible period for the club, we can thank him for his efforts and wish him well while not particularly wanting to put him on wages he doesn't deserve, can't we?

Red_Aaron

Shame because he seemed like one of the few who had the right attitude we're gonna need to grow as a team. Could have been a really good squad option

He's replaceable talent wise though and can't begrudge him a big final pay day