Hillsborough Inquests verdict - 96 Unlawfully Killed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Apparently The Times, also published by Murdoch's News UK (who publish The Sun) doesn't think it's front page material either. They lead with "Tycoon's Knighthood at risk over BHS collapse."

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The Times is traditionally the paper of the elite. Probably don't want to be ruffling the feathers of their chums.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Who'd be surprised to see that creature McKenzie on tv reviewing the 'papers tomorrow? The fact that broadcasters & newspapers continue to employ him says it all.

204Red

Most of tomorrows papers will have Hillsborough on the front page, not The Sun though. I wonder if they'll mention it at all.

I guess they think whether or not Rita Zzzzzz'd with Jay Z is a far more important concern.

What a bunch of tossers.

stu_1992

Was never aware of that headline from the Sun. That's some shameful shit. Pretty scummy how they are just kinda brushing it under the rug today too.

Anyway, happy for the families involved that they have got their verdict, it was really was the only way to go with the evidence that was out there. Anything else would have caused outrage, and rightfully so.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Scumbags. It's sad to realise we have these nutjobs working for governmental agencies and law enforcement specifically. These people have no shame.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I read things like this and wonder how these people sleep at night. The below is about how The Sun blackmailed one of the Hillsborough families to get a school photo of their son to use.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I read things like this and wonder how these people sleep at night. The below is about how The Sun blackmailed one of the Hillsborough families to get a school photo of their son to use.
feckin subhuman scum.

Just listening to Trevor Hicks on the news now and him describing the moment he had to decide whether to jump in the ambulance with one of his daughters and leave the other behind on the pitch. He said it was a split second decision, that he put his daughter in the ambulance and turned to get the other when the ambulance started pulling away, so he jumped in, as the other daughter was being given aid by a medic. He expected more ambulances to arrive, but they didn't. That instinctive reaction to such a traumatic and emotional experience is something which has haunted him ever since. To have that happen is bad enough. To then be slandered in the press and have the truth repressed for so long is sickening.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Most of tomorrows papers will have Hillsborough on the front page, not The Sun though. I wonder if they'll mention it at all.
If there is a legal case coming against them, then maybe they have been advised to not say anything. They might be asked if the government got them to print that stuff etc.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What disgusting people. I won't read that paper and other people should take the same stance.

diarm

My mind is absolutely boggled by the idea that grown human beings sat around a table and discussed this issue, the historic involvement of their newspaper in the matter and their public image surrounding Hillsborough...

And still decided that stories about the Prime Ministers WhatsApp and Rita Ora were more worthy of their front page. It beggars belief.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The Sun are a bunch of scumbags.I wonder why it's taken this particular tragedy for people to come to the sudden realisation that this is the case?

I think the people of Liverpool are bigger than this and frankly they don't care.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What disgusting people. I won't read that paper and other people should take the same stance.

I haven't read or bought it in ...I'd say 30 years? I don't think I've missed anything. I can't even stand their journalists on the Sunday Supplement[/QUOTE]

togg

Totally delighted for the families, total justice at last and I'd admire them so much for their dogged perseverance in getting that justice against the biggest cover up by the authorities who are there to make sure such justice prevails.

It took far too long and that injustice can never be rectified.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Shocking that it's taken this long but at least the families have finally got some sort of closure. I'm sure they'd like some people to be held directly responsible but seeing as it's taken 27 years for their loved ones to be absolved of the blame officially, I wouldn't hold my breath.

diarm

I found this an interesting watch.

Just goes to show that the cover up and shifting of blame was cooked up well after the actual events. Yes there was one call of forged tickets, funnily enough from a Liverpool fan who would have been quite understandably caught up in the emotion of the day. But there isn't a match, even today that one or two people aren't going to blag their way into.

Listening to those comments made by various witnesses and officials on the day itself, it's an absolute farce that the truth took 27 years to come out.

ZAGREB RED

I still can't get my head round the way this has taken 27 years to come to a conclusion, but even more shocking is what I heard on the news yesterday that all the official files on what happened were only released in 2009, 20 years on, if that isn't a sign of at least some level of a cover-up what is ?
The Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four's convictions were overturned in less time than the Hillsborough affair has taken, it defies belief.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
This is an interesting, and fairly scary read about how crowd crush occurs and the dynamics of when a mass of people get too closely packed together they take on the properties of a fluid in their movement.

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/c..._least/cw5vxtm

Feckin hell, reading that gives me a flashback to being in a crush in primary school. It was all very innocuous at first, idiots having a laugh blocking a double door to the yard. People outside the door pushing in, people behind kept coming, and all of a sudden realising the breath was literally being squeezed out of you. Impossible to shout or scream because you've no air left. When the folks outside the door gave up and we got outside, I can vividly remember thinking, hang on a minute, that was fairly serious. What a horrible way to die :(

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Some justice for the families of the 96, hope they can get some closure and lots of compensation, but I think it might drag on for quite a while. Sadly some have died while waiting for this day.

Brophs

The One and Only
No explanation as to the reasons behind the editorial decision, unsurprisingly enough

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This goes way beyond football, it shows the callousness that our institutions displayed towards the working classes throughout the 80s. It's a callousness verging on outright hatred and it flowed all the way from Thatcher downwards. Any kind of resistance was met with propaganda/lies and violence. It's great to see the antipathy exposed. Hopefully this is just the start for the families and gives them some sense of relief, however small.

Dominos

I'm assuming that tweeting about a lad farting, at a time when a decision had been reached on jf96, hasn't gone down too well.
What a bizarre thing to be outraged by, especially given the fact the timeline suggests he read the news after the initial tweet. We all complain about stuff that is insignificant compared to the death of 96 people, but we don't have to put up with moral indignation for finding a crying baby irritating.

NinjaFletch

How the feck can Theresa May and David Cameron stand up in front of Parliament and talk about the 'hostility' the families have faced, and how people have 'tried to protect themselves' without referencing the complicity of the then Conservative government in the cover-up. The audacity of it beggars belief.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Shouldn't also forget that what happened to the 96 on April 15, 1989, could easily have happened to Tottenham fans in 1981.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This goes way beyond football, it shows the callousness that our institutions displayed towards the working classes throughout the 80s. It's a callousness verging on outright hatred and it flowed all the way from Thatcher downwards. Any kind of resistance was met with propaganda/lies and violence. It's great to see the antipathy exposed. Hopefully this is just the start for the families and gives them some sense of relief, however small.
Completely agree. This could have happened to any set of supporters with the way things were going back then.

Jcrossley94

Personally I'm absolutely delighted that justice has been done. We have all been to football matches, no one deserves to go to a match and not come home... And then to be slandered to such a horrendous level is appalling.

Time for the real justice to start now. I hope there are convictions and all the snakes in the police force who did the covering up are brought in and made to rot... 27 years for each of them would seem appropriate.

Enigma_87

You know who
If there is a legal case coming against them, then maybe they have been advised to not say anything. They might be asked if the government got them to print that stuff etc.
Sure hope so. They have their part in covering up that story and printing lies.

SteveJ

Scout
The Times' excuse doesn't wash. They might have placed a photo of the families on the front page, but there's no headline - you'd think the families were celebrating the 'tycoon's knighthood' being at risk. This omission of an attention-grabbing headline is no accident.

ZAGREB RED

Thinking back to the 80s, which is when I first started going to football, the sway of the crowd was one of the the biggest elements of the "atmosphere" at football in those days, I'm sure most people who went along in that era would mostly agree, when your team scored a goal you could end up on a totally different part of the terrace and have to look to find your mates again, but I also attended a few games where it was obvious that the capacity had been breached by a fair bit and then it began to get a bit scary at times. Never did I actually think that when I was at a game was there ever going to be any injuries - to myself or anyone else - or anything, my age, I suppose contributed to this very naive view . It all just added to the excitement of the occasion, especially at big games, but it just goes to show how something like that can very quickly turn into such a horrific tragedy like Hillsborough.
I went to the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden in 1985, Celtic v Dundee Utd, (Brian McClair played for Celtic that day) I was queuing at the Celtic end from about 2.15 - it was pay at the gate in those days, think it was £3 - and about 2.55 the police and stewards just started shouting to everyone don't bother waiting we will just open the exit gates and you can go in, whether or not they really bothered to estimate how many people were still waiting and how much space was still available in the Celtic end I suppose we will never know, but let's just say when it rained during the game only the top of my head got wet as we were so tightly packed, and needless to say when Celtic scored their 2 goals - the 2nd one a late winner I ended up in totally different parts of the terrace after the celebrations had died down. At my age - 17 - I didn't ever stop to consider the safety aspect, i was just ecstatic that I saw Celtic win the 100th Scottish Cup final and I got in for free...Really makes me think now though.
When Celtic clinched the League at home in 1988, their Centenary year, there were rumours that the crowd was between 75 and 80 000 in a ground that held 67 000 at the time, and having been there, I think there is at least some truth in that rumour.

Last edited by a moderator:

204Red

As United fans should never, ever forget whenever Hillsborough is brought up - this sad story of the fate of 96 football fans could have had a very different tone around here... but for a wrongly disallowed Brian McClair goal vs Forrest in the previous round, this semi could have very easily been United vs Liverpool, and god knows what end of the ground we would have been at. There but for the grace...

scream

Football in the 80s was a crazy time.
Many games I went to then, with the pens, were downright dangerous, a number still stick in my mind, Villa Park, Baseball Ground, Elland Road, City Ground, even Wembley.

The police back then had a tendency to treat football fans like animals.

Never should people go to a game and not go home, that is unforgivable, and to lie about the truth, be it the SY Police or the sun is just abhorrent.

I remember my Dad arguing with a member of the SY Police about it a couple of years after and he was a total arrogant prick about it.

SteveJ

Scout
MP Andy Burnham in the Commons today:

Mr Speaker, the last question is for us:

What kind of country leaves people, who did no more than wave off their loved-ones to a football match, sitting in a court room 27 years later begging for the reputations of their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and fathers?

The answer is one that needs to do some deep soul-searching.

This cover-up went right to the top.

It was advanced in the committee rooms of this House and in the press rooms of 10 Downing Street.

It persisted because of collusion between elites in politics, police and the media.