Hillsborough

theimperialinn

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
A fair few Hillsborough jibes have been fired across at the Mersey derby for quite a while according to some people I know so I don't buy the whole "bringing a community together" line. That's what the BBC would like you to think though.

Sadly, people will often say the worst they can think of just to get a reaction from opposition fans.
Have you ever been to the area of Liverpool where the 2 grounds are?

I have been to both Liverpool and Everton on matchdays and seen blue's and red's in each others the pub's wearing colours with no anamosity whatsoever.

Those 2 grounds are the centre piece of that community and the rivalry is no where near as fierce as united/city, tottenham/arsenal, Villa/Birmingham etc.

Imagine a city fan trying to get in the Trafford or the Bishops Blaize on a matchday, it would be carnage!

fadas

I have had the misfortune of being there, Linn. Not something I plan on repeating thanks very much.

Ask Murphman there about that great feeling between the two... even he doesn't believe Everton would observe a perfect minutes silence.

BRobson

The Hillsborough disaster was a truly tragic event, and I hope there will be justic for the 96 lives lost and the thousands affectted. Their deaths will never be forgotten in the world of football.

The way the police and sections of the media reported the disaster should also not be forgotten. What the Sun newspaper wrote as ‘The Truth’ was an insult to every football going fan, as this event could have happened to fans of any big club at the time. Liverpool fans and many other fans still boycott this paper because of its lies, lies which I think was printed to cover up the real truth.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Yes. It is moving isn't it....I still find myself getting angry at the lack of justice for the 96.
Yea man, it's really moving. Im just speechless watching this. And as you say not only the tragedy but the way how it was dealt with afterwards, it's just not right.

Forever Red

Terrible terrible thing to have happened. I remember it as if it were yesterday.
Just a bunch of ordinary football supporters like you or I caught up in a tragedy waiting to happen .

God bless them all

sparky

Watching the news this morning, with the images from the time was quite disturbing. I felt as though I was back as a kid watching it unfold on telly feeling quite sick. I would never ever use this terrible memory to insult any fan and I cannot understand why anybody would. I recently blocked someone on Facebook. He added me as a friend from school. Never really liked him anyway but thought time would change the attitude of some people. However when he kept referring to us as 'Munich' I realised that some people never change. He is apparently a spurs fan. I say apparently because I believe that anyone who would use a traumatic event to taunt other fans is not a proper fan and should not be referred to as one.
I actually did not think I would feel as bad as I do today, but like I said, those images brought it all back. So I have no idea how relatives and survivors are feeling today.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I wonder what most of the people think of the religious (Christian) service? Somehow I cannot imagine it any other way.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Watching the news this morning, with the images from the time was quite disturbing. I felt as though I was back as a kid watching it unfold on telly feeling quite sick. I would never ever use this terrible memory to insult any fan and I cannot understand why anybody would. I recently blocked someone on Facebook. He added me as a friend from school. Never really liked him anyway but thought time would change the attitude of some people. However when he kept referring to us as 'Munich' I realised that some people never change. He is apparently a spurs fan. I say apparently because I believe that anyone who would use a traumatic event to taunt other fans is not a proper fan and should not be referred to as one.
I actually did not think I would feel as bad as I do today, but like I said, those images brought it all back. So I have no idea how relatives and survivors are feeling today.
It's sad how compassion and respectfulness is totally lost on some people.

henno

my deepest commiserations to all Liverpool fans today. A tragedy like Hillsbourough never should have happened, it was a dark day for football, Liverpool and Sheffield.

RIP 96

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I wonder what most of the people think of the religious (Christian) service? Somehow I cannot imagine it any other way.
I was wondering whether or not this would crop up, either on here or on RAWK.

I would prefer it if religion was kept away from these sort of memorial services. I find it hard to believe that every one of the 96 families are Christian.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I've found elements of the service quite tacky, and I'm not just saying that to be anti-Liverpool. I'd like to think there's someone on RAWK saying the same.

RIP all the same.

rednev

Liverpool fans giving Andy Burnham a hard time.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
If anyone's wondering who this Phil Hammond is that is getting such a big mention he started the Hillsborough memorial service and can't be there today due to suffering a brain haemorrhage from which he is recovering. He also lost his 14 yr old son at Hillsborough.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Yes he did, awful.

96 red balloons to be released.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I admire this guy getting through this so well....it must be torture for him.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I wish he hadn't brought out the old "everyone's against us" shtick...they do love it up there it has to be said..

Other than that a very profound and moving speech

rednev

I see he used the opportunity to have a pop at those who stand at football games, basically supporting the idea that 'safe standing' should never be allowed in the UK.

I have to disagree with him there.

rednev

"We will never forgive The Scum newspaper for their lies."

Here here.

The Red Baron!!!

he was in one of the emptier side pens where he could see all the rouble unfolding in the central pen...his two daughters were in there.
Then he went onto the pitch and helped one daughter into an ambulance and was faced with a desicion no-one should ever have to take...should he go and travel with his daughter in the ambulance, or stay on the field with his other dying daughter...its gruesome.

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
he was in one of the emptier side pens where he could see all the rouble unfolding in the central pen...his two daughters were in there.
Then he went onto the pitch and helped one daughter into an ambulance and was faced with a desicion no-one should ever have to take...should he go and travel with his daughter in the ambulance, or stay on the field with his other dying daughter...its gruesome.
fecking hell :(

The Red Baron!!!

He decided to travel to the hospital with the daughter in the ambulence, where she later died in hospital, then his wife had the awfull task of identifying her sisters body. It really puts things into perspective...how unimportant football is, in the greater picture

manxmanc

:(

I remember hearing about that earlier today.