Hillsborough

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
It's moving seeing the faces of the 96 coming up now....what a waste of so many lives.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm still baffled..how could've that happened?

I've read numerous reports on the disaster and still can't get my head around it. It's like every mistake in the book has been done, at the same time. Clueless police, clueless allocations, unstoppable crowds...

I've been to matches where there's a bottleneck at the gates, I believe everyone has, but there was one time, I don't know why there were so few gates open, people were shouting for more entrances to be opened and there was this terrible tension. Then a huge push from behind...It was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. Couldn't move, crushed against people, I still don't know for how long it was but it seemed ages before the crowed in front of me moved and I could draw a breath. Can't imagine how horrible it was at Hillsborough...

RIP

theimperialinn

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
he was in one of the emptier side pens where he could see all the rouble unfolding in the central pen...his two daughters were in there.
Then he went onto the pitch and helped one daughter into an ambulance and was faced with a desicion no-one should ever have to take...should he go and travel with his daughter in the ambulance, or stay on the field with his other dying daughter...its gruesome.
I thought he was in the central pen and had popped to the concourse to get a coffee. Is this the Hicks fella? His wife was in the seating area in her own as she was the smallest. She went back to their rendezvous point at their car park and no one was there and it was the only car left in the car park.

theimperialinn

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
I'm still baffled..how could've that happened?

I've read numerous reports on the disaster and still can't get my head around it. It's like every mistake in the book has been done, at the same time. Clueless police, clueless allocations, unstoppable crowds...

I've been to matches where there's a bottleneck at the gates, I believe everyone has, but there was one time, I don't know why there were so few gates open, people were shouting for more entrances to be opened and there was this terrible tension. Then a huge push from behind...It was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. Couldn't move, crushed against people, I still don't know for how long it was but it seemed ages before the crowed in front of me moved and I could draw a breath. Can't imagine how horrible it was at Hillsborough...

RIP
From what I can make of it it's a combination of different factors.

The policing operation sounded diabolic to say the least.

From what I have seen of the coverage it took the police an absolute age to even notice something was wrong.

What were they doing with the CCTV in the police control room?

They could not have been monitoring the congestion!

Bread

Thought it was a very nice service and a good tribute to those who died. I didnt think that wasnt really the time to heckle the poor bloke from the government though seeing as he was obviously on thier side and even nodded as they chanted, poor bloke.

manxmanc

Thought it was a very nice service and a good tribute to those who died. I didnt think that wasnt really the time to heckle the poor bloke from the government though seeing as he was obviously on thier side and even nodded as they chanted, poor bloke.
He's ex Everon too...

TheReligion

Abusive
Really really sad

Isn't it about time all this Munich/Hillsborough stuff just stopped? I know it won't but I mean really, so stupid.

RIP the 96

Crerand Legend

It's moving seeing the faces of the 96 coming up now....what a waste of so many lives.
That was the most moving part of the ceremony.Watching the faces and reading the names and ages reminded me just how big a human tragedy it was.Could have done without that awful Anfield Rd which is almost as bad as our Trafford Road,but all in all a suitable, emotionally charged tribute

Bearded but no genius

Those dozens and dozens of teenagers should have their own supporting children now who would have gotten the chance to have experienced their club's glory at Istanbul a few years ago.

Instead their lives and their future and the futures of all who might have come after them were snuffed out for absolutely no reason at all.

fadas

You forgot Jade and Lady Di, you fecking berk. fecking hell, I've seen some shite posted on here but this takes the biscuit.

Those dozens and dozens of teenagers should have their own supporting children now who would have gotten the chance to have experienced their club's glory at Istanbul a few years ago.

Instead their lives and their future and the futures of all who might have come after them were snuffed out for absolutely no reason at all.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
The ITV 1999 drama Hillsborough is on Sky Channel 179 now for those who want to watch it to get an account of what happened.

Suedesi

I'm not trying in any way to disrespect the loss of life, but I have to admit, I'm a little mystified by the campaign for truth. Surely the truth is in the Taylor report and known by anyone who wants to know it. What more is there to know?

Johnno

I'm not trying in any way to disrespect the loss of life, but I have to admit, I'm a little mystified by the campaign for truth. Surely the truth is in the Taylor report and known by anyone who wants to know it. What more is there to know?
Campaign for Blame is a more accurate description.
When tragedies happen, it's natural to blame the car company for not making them safer when we crash, bedding manufacturers for not making fabric more breathable when parents lose babies to SIDS, the government when wives lose husbands at war.....

Murphman

Campaign for Blame is a more accurate description.
When tragedies happen, it's natural to blame the car company for not making them safer when we crash, bedding manufacturers for not making fabric more breathable when parents lose babies to SIDS, the government when wives lose husbands at war.....
You are either the thickest bigoted cnut on the planet or your hatred for Liverpool FC is so great you couldn't bear to watch any TV yesterday which for your information was astonishing. There's a groundswell of opinion building that the case be opened up properly for a proper public enquiry with no information witheld and all records released, that ubercunt mouthpiece for Brown getting fecked of at anfield clearly shook the establsihment.
I'm disappointed that just for once you couldn't leave it alone without having to score points and the overiding message yesterday from all sides was it wasn't the fans fault in any shape or form it was pure negligence and they simply closed ranks.

The rest of you have been magnificent and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yesterday was a nightmare, between 8pm and 9pm I spent my time choking back tears in case the kids saw me. What a soft cnut.

Johnno

You are either the thickest bigoted cnut on the planet or your hatred for Liverpool FC is so great you couldn't bear to watch any TV yesterday which for your information was astonishing. There's a groundswell of opinion building that the case be opened up properly for a proper public enquiry with no information witheld and all records released, that ubercunt mouthpiece for Brown getting fecked of at anfield clearly shook the establsihment.
I'm disappointed that just for once you couldn't leave it alone without having to score points and the overiding message yesterday from all sides was it wasn't the fans fault in any shape or form it was pure negligence and they simply closed ranks.

The rest of you have been magnificent and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yesterday was a nightmare, between 8pm and 9pm I spent my time choking back tears in case the kids saw me. What a soft cnut.
I weren't scoring no points with no-one, but the poster I quoted was asking if the facts were in the Taylor Report which was that Hillsborough Stadium was an inadequately safe stadia for supporters and I stated a fact, that people always blame something when terrible things happen, that doesn't make it any less true, I did not state the Liverpool supporters INCORRECTLY blamed West Yorkshire Police, or the FA or the Hillsborough stadium etc have I? You're taking things to heart and guess what, you're fecking subconsciously now the one having a go at me, and I don't wanna get into it with you because of such.....
And no, we had minor reports of it here in Australia, but it's an event which is etched into my memory, I grew up with it and am very familiar with thr whole incident, legalities and back stories such as The Sun's claims of pissing on the dead bodies etc, and have seen the drama Hillsborough written by Jimmy McGovern of Cracker fame, it starred Chris Eccleston and was a very eye-opening show.

Bearded but no genius

Johnno, you've been pushing things very close...please think twice when posting and chose your words very carefully as it is a sensitive thing especially right now.

Murphman

Johnno, you've been pushing things very close...please think twice when posting and chose your words very carefully as it is a sensitive thing especially right now.
Jason thanks but to be honest I'm very likely to bite and overreact at the moment as well, I'll give Johnno the benefit of any doubt and withdraw my comment.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
I weren't scoring no points with no-one, but the poster I quoted was asking if the facts were in the Taylor Report which was that Hillsborough Stadium was an inadequately safe stadia for supporters and I stated a fact, that people always blame something when terrible things happen, that doesn't make it any less true, I did not state the Liverpool supporters INCORRECTLY blamed West Yorkshire Police, or the FA or the Hillsborough stadium etc have I? You're taking things to heart and guess what, you're fecking subconsciously now the one having a go at me, and I don't wanna get into it with you because of such.....
And no, we had minor reports of it here in Australia, but it's an event which is etched into my memory, I grew up with it and am very familiar with thr whole incident, legalities and back stories such as The Sun's claims of pissing on the dead bodies etc, and have seen the drama Hillsborough written by Jimmy McGovern of Cracker fame, it starred Chris Eccleston and was a very eye-opening show.
fsakes .....you have no idea do you

just shut up

RedPhil1957

I really hope the Liverpool fans get the justice their looking for, it won't stop the bad memories but it will help them get closure.

Respect.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
What a lot of people don't realise, is that there are 2 Taylor reports. The interim report was published in August 1989, 4 months after the tragedy. This is the one that looks into who was responsible for the disaster. Despite all their best efforts to lie their way out of it, Lord Taylor lays the blame soley down at the feet of the SYP. The 2nd report is generally the one people refer to. It details his recommendations as to the way forward to make stadia & policing the safe, friendlier areas they are now. I myself didn't need any reports to tell me this, because I'd experienced fist hand at how they'd treat anyone wearing a football scarf as absolute scum. I'd been told to 'feck off' by one of them when trying to make them aware of what was going on. I watched as they pushed fans back into the hideously overcrowded central pen. I watched as they brought on police-dogs instead of ambulances. I watched some of the dogs attack those that were staggering around dazed. I watched as some police officers still tried to get people off the pitch, standing on the dead bodies of young kids as they did so - I hate The South Yorkshire police with such a passion, it hurts sometimes. I was one of the first ones to stand up & 'heckle' Andy Burnham yesterday, & I make no apologies for doing so. His can stick his fecking government protocol up his arse as far as I'm concerned. The whole world watched the SYP get away with murder 20 years ago. & as long as the likes of Mr Burnham continues to pay lip-service to our plight, then he & others like him will continue to feel our contempt for the shameful lack of justice that has yet to arrive.

Finally, can I just thank everyone for their comments & PM's concerning 'My Story' on the Hillsborough tragedy. I have to admit that I was a little sceptical in doing so, but the Mods have done a great job in filtering out the small minority who might have wanted to make it an 'anti-Liverpool' thread. As it is, people accepted it as a football issue, & one that could have happened to any of us - Thanks once again.

JFT 96

UnitedRoadRed

fsakes .....you have no idea do you

just shut up
I'd like to think that what Johnno is hinting at is that it wasn't just the conduct of the SYP that was incorrect.

One question that seems to go unanswered, and often unasked, is whether Liverpool fans accept that their fans were partly to blame for surging/trying to gib in as often happened back then.

The police got it wrong, that is obvious to everyone. But there was a situation developing outside the ground too.

Murphman

I'd like to think that what Johnno is hinting at is that it wasn't just the conduct of the SYP that was incorrect.

One question that seems to go unanswered, and often unasked, is whether Liverpool fans accept that their fans were partly to blame for surging/trying to gib in as often happened back then.

The police got it wrong, that is obvious to everyone. But there was a situation developing outside the ground too.
Geoff Powell referred to 'people without tickets' yesterday. the cnut. there's no proof anybody tried to get into the ground without a ticket, not one single scrap of evidence therefore not guilty, end of. In the real world it's highly likely there were people trying to gib in but if that's so how many? what impact would they have had, how much 'guilt' do you want to apportion, a bit, a lot?

The answer is unanswerable but we don't take responsibility for supposition and undoubtedly lives would have been lost regardless. The disaster was a result of negligence on the part of the police, Sheffield wednesday and the local authority, not Liverpool fans We take no blame whatsoever, how many Spurs fans tried to gib in in 1981 when the deathtrap that was the Leppings lane came so close to claiming lives back then. I know TWO spurs fans were in there that day, they were fecking terrified, there but for the grace of God went them instead of us.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

Only people that ask that question are the ones who couldn't be arsed to read the interim Taylor report. Because if they did, they'd know that, 'large numbers of troublesome, ticketless, fans' were not a contributory factor in what happened outside. With one or two exceptions, those who congregated in The Leppings Lane were generally well-behaved & in good humour according to the report. The warm weather was a probable factor according to Lord Taylor, with many fans leaving it later than normal to enter the ground. That said, the tickets stated for everyone to take their place by 2.45pm, & the vast majority were in the vicinity of the turnstiles prior to 2.30. The lack of turnstiles, & bottle-neck location of The Leppings Lane, were not the fault of Liverpool fans.

Johnno

The thing is now though, if I respond with not an argument or a snide remark but a vaild point/query to the above, I'll get called a cnut.....

Murphman

This question is not unanswered as you put it. Here's Lord Chief Justice Taylor's response in his report.

'Were Fans Without Tickets a Major Factor in the Build-Up?

200. It has become a fact of football life that fans do turn up at all-ticket matches without tickets. It is not possible to give an accurate figure or even a reliable estimate of the number without tickets on 15 April. Police estimates varied from about 200 to about 2,000. There were certainly frequent requests for tickets or "spares" during the hours before the build-up.
Many of those warned off by the police were seen to return to the area.
Some were hanging about on the bridge. Again, however, the police witnesses who most impressed me did not consider the number of ticketless fans to be inordinately large.

This accords with two other sources of
evidence.

201. First, there was a wide range of witnesses who observed inside the ground that the Liverpool end was at a late stage well below capacity save for pens 3 and 4. The north stand still had many empty seats and the wing
pens were sparse. The match being a sell-out, there were clearly many ticket holders to come and they could account for the large crowd still outside the turnstiles. Had the Liverpool accommodation been full by 2.40 pm, one could have inferred that most or much of the large crowd outside lacked tickets.

202. Secondly, such figures as are available from the Club's electronic monitoring system and from analyses
by the HSE suggest that no great number entered without tickets. They show that the number who passed through turnstiles A to G plus those who entered through gate C roughly equalled the terrace capacity figure of
10,100 for which tickets had been sold. The Club's record showed 7,038 passed through turnstiles A to G. However, the counting mechanism on turnstile G was defective, so the HSE did a study using the video film
and projecting figures from the other turnstiles. This gave an assessment of 7,494, with a maximum of 7,644 passing through A to G.

Again, using the video, the HSE assessed the number who entered the ground whilst gate C was open at 2,240 with a maximum of 2,480.Accordingly, the HSE's best estimate of the total entering through gate C and turnstiles A to G was 9,734 with a maximum of 10,124.1 recognise that these can only be rough checks because, for example, some with terrace tickets were allowed through turnstiles 1 to 16 and there would be other similar factors which have not formed part of the assessment. Nevertheless, the figures do suggest that there was not a very significant body of ticketless fans in the crowd which built up.

UnitedRoadRed

Geoff Powell referred to 'people without tickets' yesterday. the cnut. there's no proof anybody tried to get into the ground without a ticket, not one single scrap of evidence therefore not guilty, end of. In the real world it's highly likely there were people trying to gib in but if that's so how many? what impact would they have had, how much 'guilt' do you want to apportion, a bit, a lot?
Yeah, I mean it's not like you have a record of it or anything is it? :rolleyes: