Holland - Euro 2021 discussion

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's amazing how they bottled this. Had a pretty straight forward route to semis and beating Czech should have been quite straight forward with the talent they have.

De LIgt's mistake cost them, but ideally De Boer should've brought on Timber instead of Promes to retain the 3 atb formation, to give Dumfries the freedom to bomb forward. Similarly, going all in in the 70th minute was, I believe, a mistake. Keep the score at 1-0 till maybe 80th-83rd min and then bring on Weghorst and all the other attackers

AshRK

Shit coach, average captain, overrated forward in depay and Promes as a substitute.

Dante

Average bang
Well played Holland. Simply reaching to the knockouts should be seen as a huge achievement for them.

You could see the Czechs were a couple of levels above, so full credit to the Oranges for only losing 2-0.

Holland should be incredibly proud as a nation for punching above their weight like they have.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's been mentioned in other threads, but I think this just illustrates how shit the structure of the tournament is, and how much of a lift some sides are being given by home advantage. Every side given 3 home games qualified for the next round.

Hungary punching far, far above their weight in their games in Budapest. Italy blowing everybody away in Rome, then flattering to deceive as soon as they play at a neutral ground. Holland blowing everybody away in Amsterdam then out as soon as the opposition has some support.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's been mentioned in other threads, but I think this just illustrates how shit the structure of the tournament is, and how much of a lift some sides are being given by home advantage. Every side given 3 home games qualified for the next round.

Hungary punching far, far above their weight in their games in Budapest. Italy blowing everybody away in Rome, then flattering to deceive as soon as they play at a neutral ground. Holland blowing everybody away in Amsterdam then out as soon as the opposition has some support.
Simply an awful format. They need to go back to 1 host nation.

anant

Frank de Boer should be sacked within the hour. Disgraceful display.
Any candidates that are being linked? Surely, there'd be too many calls for De Boer's sacking especially as he wasn't popular pre-tournament with the results you guys were having, and his popularity wouldn't have gone up after today's result.

hubbuh

That was pitiful. I was hoping we'd play the Netherlands in the semis. Frenkie de Jong is fecking quality, though. No one had a particularly good game but he oozes quality, that guy.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Right, I've thrown out all my orange crap. We go again in Qatar. I'm supporting Denmark now. Go, uhm, Dolberg?

Dante

Average bang
2016: didn't qualify
2018: out at the group stage
2020: out in the first knockout round

This is progress for the Deutsch.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why did he start Malen here anyways?

Basso

2016: didn't qualify
2018: out at the group stage
2020: out in the first knockout round

This is progress for the Deutsch.
Holland didn't qualify for 2018 in Russia.
Have a sneaky feeling they will not make it to Qatar after they lost to Turkey. Only 13 European spots in the 2022 World cup.

Dante

Average bang
Holland didn't qualify for 2018 in Russia.
Have a sneaky feeling they will not make it to Qatar after they lost to Turkey. Only 13 European spots in the 2022 World cup.
Sorry, mate. It's really difficult to keep track of all of Holland's failures. There's only so much time in the day.

Cloud7

Why did they hire De Boer? Wasn't he terrible at Crystal Palace? Did he ever show anything that made you think his skills would translate well to a better team?

Stadjer

Why did they hire De Boer? Wasn't he terrible at Crystal Palace? Did he ever show anything that made you think his skills would translate well to a better team?
Repuation as player and did okay as Ajax manager. Ridiculous appointment though

Lay

And at Inter

Cloud7

Repuation as player and did okay as Ajax manager. Ridiculous appointment though
Ah okay, that was what I was after. I wasn't sure what he did as a manager prior to CP. Definitely been a horrible show as your NT manager though. Should be sacked after this.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He was also terrible at Inter and at some MLS club.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, de Boer has been criticized on refcafe for a while.
Edit: but was de ligt thinking? Spur of the moment?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Well, that was abit bad.
Still, minor 2/3 players this is not a good Holland squad. Depay is their star forward for starters.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To be fair, de Boer has been criticized on refcafe for a while.
Edit: but was de ligt thinking? Spur of the moment?
Either he lets him past and potentially score or he risks the red. Either way he's looking foolish.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
True, but what should Czech republic say then?

Irwin99

This Dutch side has a few issues but it does have some good talent as well. I said in the other thread but they could do worse than getting LVG back. He got an average/good side to a respectable third at the 2014 world cup, he knows some of these players pretty well and the press conferences would be fun at least.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Given the credentials de Boer got the job with, I can only assume that Cocu is next in line?
Hasn't he won the league with Ajax like four times? I doubt you'll find many coaches at the EUROs, who have won more.

anant

This Dutch side has a few issues but it does have some good talent as well. I said in the other thread but they could do worse than getting LVG back. He got an average/good side to a respectable third at the 2014 world cup, he knows some of these players pretty well and the press conferences would be fun at least.
For one year, I hope they can convince him to come out of retirement.

The side has enough talent to reach QFs of the world cup (assuming no whacky draws), and I doubt anyone can confidently say right now if they'll even be in next WC

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That average side had peak Robben and Van Persie though.

RoyH1

That was a tame, tame performance from Holland. Didn’t get any sense of urgency from de Boer’s team.

OldBoyLanny

Disappointed, but not completely unexpected. At least we won't be completely humiliated by a top country. A decent coach would have realized a lot better team than this. De Boer should never have been appointed and the sooner we get rid of him, the better. We don't have a great generation, but still several players who play at top clubs with Wijnaldum, De Ligt, De Vrij, De Jong and Depay. The way we play does not reflect this at all.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Funny as I was a big critic of them during the group stage and thought they'd go out as soon as they played someone competant and organised in group stages.......yet didn't think they were actually that bad today compared to the majority (and Dutch fans at the ground seemingly).

First half was pretty much all them bar Czech guy firing over from 10 yards...countless times they got into final third and either pass was blocked or they screwed shot wide.

Ultimately decided by Malen missing a sitter and then De Ligt getting sent off a minute later. They were never going to survive that sort of blow. Have very little depth in most positions beyond the regular 11 aswell.

De Boer isn't up to much but they could easily be in QFs if Malen had just passed it into the corner.