Holland - Euro 2021 discussion

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The best thing the Dutch can do is root for Hungary to beat Germany, no?
Not sure about that as that'd mean a 3 way tie for 2nd-4th place and I'd expect Germany to finish 3rd in the group in that case with GD of 0. It might be enough, but if I were a Dutch fan, I'd hope that only 2 teams from Group F progress so that they play 3rd placed team from Group D (assuming 2 teams are progressing from Group B, which seems to be the likely scenario)

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
This is how the 1/8 finals will be drawn:

So different combinations of best 3rd placed teams yield different opponents for the respective group winners. Needlessly complicated, but fun to try and predict :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is how the 1/8 finals will be drawn:

So different combinations of best 3rd placed teams yield different opponents for the respective group winners. Needlessly complicated, but fun to try and predict :)
I'm 50% of an idiot savant, so I might be able to figure this out.

anant

What in the bleep does that mean?
For you to avoid Portugal/Germany, you need 3rd placed team from both group C and D to go through. (unlikely 3rd placed team from group B is going through, so excluding that permutation)

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
What in the bleep does that mean?
It means that different combinations of 3rd place qualifiers (column 1) lead to different opponents for the group winners (columns 2-5). So if the best 3rd placed teams come from groups ABCD, Holland will face the 3rd placed team from group D, and so on.

Basically, if a 3rd team from group F qualifies, it will face either Holland or Belgium.

I think they deliberately made it so complex to avoid manipulation (no intentional losing to hand a tougher opponent to others, etc).

Basso

It means that different combinations of 3rd place qualifiers (column 1) lead to different opponents for the group winners (columns 2-5). So if the best 3rd placed teams come from groups ABCD, Holland will face the 3rd placed team from group D, and so on.

Basically, if a 3rd team from group F qualifies, it will face either Holland or Belgium.

I think they deliberately made it so complex to avoid manipulation (no intentional losing to hand a tougher opponent to others, etc).
I've 4 CAT 2 tickets for the Belgium Match in Seville so I'm hoping for Belgium against Group F. Surprisingly there are still tickets left on uefa.com.
Also if that happens most of the strong teams will be in the top half bracket giving the Dutch very good chances to progress far.

anant

Poor results in other games today from Netherlands POV.
With Austria beating Ukraine, Netherlands would be hoping that France beat Portugal by a 3 goal margin so that Netherlands can avoid Portugal in the next round (I'm assuming Germany aren't beaten by Hungary by a 3 goal margin for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Poor results in other games today from Netherlands POV.
With Austria beating Ukraine, Netherland would be hoping that France beat Portugal by a 3 goal margin so that Netherlands can avoid Portugal in the next round (I'm assuming Germany aren't beaten by Hungary by a 3 goal margin for obvious reasons)
Feck it, you know what, it's time we beat Portugal for a change. Bring em on.

anant

Feck it, you know what, it's time we beat Portugal for a change. Bring em on.
Honestly, the best thing that can happen to you guys is if somehow only 2 teams from Spain's group go through (Sweden don't lose vs Poland and a non-draw result in Spain vs Slovakia) and Scotland vs Croatia game doesn't end in a draw. You'd face 3rd placed team from England's group and then winner of Denmark and Wales in QF

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Honestly, the best thing that can happen to you guys is if somehow only 2 teams from Spain's group go through (Sweden don't lose vs Poland and a non-draw result in Spain vs Slovakia) and Scotland vs Croatia game doesn't end in a draw. You'd face 3rd placed team from England's group and then winner of Denmark and Wales in QF
Ok fine, let's do that then :nervous:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If Portugal and France draw, would Hungary beating Germany by any score not put Hungary through as the 3rd team?

Not a best case scenario considering Holland plays in Budapest, but certainly preferable to Portugal.

Gravenberch had a bit of a Donny today. Seemed very nervous and played it overly safe. As a result De Roon seems certain of his place and I wouldn't be suprised if De Boer is going to rely on Klaassen in case of a sub/injury from now on.

If the Dutch face a side they can punish on the break we could see Malen start. Versus teams that sit back Weghorst will get back in the team is my guess. De Boer was subtly hinting at this in the post-match interview.

In general Malen's only problem is he has the finishing ability of Ousmane Dembele. The guy needs a few too many chances to put one in the back of the net. He could be the next world class striker the Dutch need if he improves on that.

Timber was impressive, Promes was shit, Berghuis was (and is) slightly less shit. Promes' inclusion in the squad is almost as criminal as the man himself.

anant

If Portugal and France draw, would Hungary beating Germany by any score not put Hungary through as the 3rd team?

Not a best case scenario considering Holland plays in Budapest, but certainly preferable to Portugal.

Gravenberch had a bit of a Donny today. Seemed very nervous and played it overly safe. As a result De Roon seems certain of his place and I wouldn't be suprised if De Boer is going to rely on Klaassen in case of a sub/injury from now on.

If the Dutch face a side they can punish on the break we could see Malen start. Versus teams that sit back Weghorst will get back in the team is my guess. De Boer was subtly hinting at this in the post-match interview.

In general Malen's only problem is he has the finishing ability of Ousmane Dembele. The guy needs a few too many chances to put one in the back of the net. He could be the next world class striker the Dutch need if he improves on that.

Timber was impressive, Promes was shit, Berghuis was (and is) slightly less shit. Promes' inclusion in the squad is almost as criminal as the man himself.
It would, but why are so many people expecting Hungary to beat Germany? Germany have been top class in the 2 games so far, and it'd be surprising to see them beat Germany

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ok fine, let's do that then :nervous:
That's me too. Christ it's complicated this EC! I'll just find out who's next after the group stages has finished; all the models are giving me headaches. :lol:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It would, but why are so many people expecting Hungary to beat Germany? Germany have been top class in the 2 games so far, and it'd be surprising to see them beat Germany
I"m not expecting them to, I'm just doing mental gymnastics to avoid seeing the Orange draw a top team so soon :lol:

Portugal is a death sentence for them.

Pentagruel

I"m not expecting them to, I'm just doing mental gymnastics to avoid seeing the Orange draw a top team so soon :lol:

Portugal is a death sentence for them.
Do you think that because of past history or because of Portugal’s style of play? I’d personally rather face Portugal rather then Germany or France who I think are both quite a bit better overall.

criticalanalysis

I only saw the highlights but Malen look involved in most of the chances, goals and he looks rapid. Any good?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do you think that because of past history or because of Portugal’s style of play? I’d personally rather face Portugal rather then Germany or France who I think are both quite a bit better overall.
Both actually.

It's maybe a bit harder to see with such an easy group, but I think this iteration of Holland is strong in transitions and counter attacks.
I think they have better chances against sides that will come out and play rather than those that don't mind sitting back.
It's hard to judge because in groups almost all the top teams were dominating against some of the lesser teams, but going by what I saw from qualification games earlier this year, Portugal, Italy, France will sit back more than say England or Germany.

And then there's also the fact that the Dutch play with a diaper on every time they face Portugal :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I can see us becoming a challenge for bigger countries to be honest if De Ligt, De Vrij and Blind keep on improving on their collaboration, Frenkie and Wijnaldum keep up with this form and we play Malen en Depay together upfront..

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Malen and Depay is an interesting combination up top for sure. Would not like to face them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Spain beat Slovakia and Poland doesnt beat Sweden we have a clear run to the semi's. Make it happen.

anant

If Spain beat Slovakia and Poland doesnt beat Sweden we have a clear run to the semi's. Make it happen.
A Slovakia win over Spain works as well (and a low scoring game, not a 3-2 win or something like that) . Anything other than a draw there basically and you're fine

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I love our attacking intent, there is clear urgency and attacking intent in our play. Mainly Dumfries, Blind, Frenkie, Wijnaldum, Memphis and Malen are big in this. Whilst I have loved the aggression of de Ligt, de Vrij, and De Roon as well. I have high hopes, although the opposition was quite poor. Only Germany and Italy have played significantly better stuff I'd say.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A Slovakia win over Spain works as well (and a low scoring game, not a 3-2 win or something like that) . Anything other than a draw there basically and you're fine
Yeah, no draw there and no Poland win and it's Czech. Odds people have calculated it to be 67% Czech and 21% Portugal.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Holland is going to play Czech in the 1/8 final, and if they win they would play Denmark/Wales. I must say, that's a very fortunate draw for the Dutch. Don't underestimate the challenge but they should get through to the semi-final without playing against one top team. If they don't, they would have underperformed massively.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Holland is going to play Czech in the 1/8 final, and if they win they would play Denmark/Wales. I must say, that's a very fortunate draw for the Dutch. Don't underestimate the challenge but they should get through to the semi-final without playing against one top team. If they don't, they would have underperformed massively.
The semi is likely England or their group of death opponent, right?

I'm predicting Weghorst to start the following two games after which Malen will start in the semi and Weghorst will be relegated to pinch hitter duty (now that Luuk De Jong is out with a knee injury). De Boer is so predictable. Must. Have. Big. Man. In. The. Box. :lol:

If it's England or Germany in the semis I could see them getting into the final. France/Portugal not a chance.

Last edited:

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
This is very fortunate. But we are not good enough to underestimate teams.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The semi is likely England or their group of death opponent, right?

I'm predicting Weghorst to start the following two games after which Malen will start in the semi and Weghorst will be relegated to pinch hitter duty (now that Luuk De Jong is out with a knee injury). De Boer is so predictable. Must. Have. Big. Man. In. The. Box. :lol:

If it's England or Germany in the semi's I could see them getting into the final. France/Portugal not a chance.
Spot on. I think Holland can beat Portugal though but they would be favourites for sure.

Multatuli

Supports
Az
Does Koopmeiners not get a look in for the Dutch at all? Only has one cap according to wiki. I have an irrational admiration for him based on a couple YouTube compilations and signing him on FM. I guess Blind and De Jong occupy similar roles?
This is his younger brother Peer Koopmeiners. He is captain in the youth squad and today the news came that he will be transfered to the main squad.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Hope you guys fire De Boer after this. He's an insult to everything Dutch football stands for.

Not for losing, but for losing in such a tame, passionless, uninspired way.