Gaming Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finished HZD last week & loved it. Really looking forward to this now.

Hephaestus

Glad it's coming out on PS4 as well, adored the first one and I don't have a PS5 yet.

Ainu

They've sold like 15 times as many PS4 as PS5, this was always going to come out on both.

How is it disappointing?
Disappointing in the sense that it had to be designed around the PS4's limitations, so the PS5 version won't be as advanced as it ideally could've been.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Disappointing in the sense that it had to be designed around the PS4's limitations, so the PS5 version won't be as advanced as it ideally could've been.
Eh, surely just scale it down for the PS4? It's not like previous generation shifts have had the exact same versions of games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Starting playing HZD again. It's better than I remember it being. Looks beautiful too, still.

Expecting the sequel to be very good.

Ainu

Eh, surely just scale it down for the PS4? It's not like previous generation shifts have had the exact same versions of games.
It's Guerrilla Games so the game will look absolutely stunning on the PS5 (and even very, very good on the PS4) but you can't escape the fact that it has to be fundamentally designed around an 8 year old CPU that was considered a limiting factor even early on in that generation. You can scale graphics and performance, both of which will no doubt be vastly superior on the PS5, so it won't disappoint in that sense. It's the more fundamental things like physics and stuff that are harder to scale. I'd like to see GG deliver a product without being shackled by the PS4's hardware, but we'll just have to wait for their next game for that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Slightly surprised its still coming out on the PS4.
Unfortunately right now there just isn't enough PS5's around to make it doable. They'll need to sell a minimum of a certain number to break even and a certain amount to profit - they make games for profit after all.

I suspect games will be stuck on PS4 until they can get enough out there, which is indeed a shame.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's Guerrilla Games so the game will look absolutely stunning on the PS5 (and even very, very good on the PS4) but you can't escape the fact that it has to be fundamentally designed around an 8 year old CPU that was considered a limiting factor even early on in that generation. You can scale graphics and performance, both of which will no doubt be vastly superior on the PS5, so it won't disappoint in that sense. It's the more fundamental things like physics and stuff that are harder to scale. I'd like to see GG deliver a product without being shackled by the PS4's hardware, but we'll just have to wait for their next game for that.
No matter what, it can't be as bad as PS3 > PS4. At least the PS4 is basically regular hardware.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Unfortunately right now there just isn't enough PS5's around to make it doable. They'll need to sell a minimum of a certain number to break even and a certain amount to profit - they make games for profit after all.

I suspect games will be stuck on PS4 until they can get enough out there, which is indeed a shame.
Ratchet & Clank and Returnal are both PS5 exclusives and GoW:Ragnorak will be too so I don't think that's true at all. Horizon was simply one of the biggest single games on the PS4 so Sony probably don't want to limit it, but that doesn't mean they can't. More PS5 exclusives is also beneficial to them as it gives people a reason to upgrade.

A lot of it is probably up to the developers, too, and whether they want to make it on the PS4 and have to deal with the limitations or PS5 only and get the benefits of the SSD like Ratchet & Clank will. Guerrila have made exclusives for new consoles before so I doubt it was Sony telling them to make it both a PS5 and PS4 game.

diarm

The first one is still my favourite game on the PS4 and one of the only non sport games I go back to play regularly after completing.

Can't wait for this. I hope they get the underwater part right because that could really open up amazing possibilities.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Feel like this will be incredible! Assuming it’s out this year then?

Ainu

Feel like this will be incredible! Assuming it’s out this year then?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say Q2 next year. This year just feels too early with what we've seen so far. Chances are covid has impacted their development cycle in some way as well.

Massive Spanner

Pretty sure someone on here said they knew someone in Guerrila and that it was still a good way off being done.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How is it disappointing?
Because it's one of the biggest exclusives that's going to come out this generation from one of the biggest studios, and as a PS5 owner it would be nice to have a true PS5 exclusive. There's the real possibility that being a cross-gen title could hold the game back (i think the developers alluded to this) for current-gen. In fact, there's more than a possibility that it will happen - I can't see how it wouldn't.

I can't see how the technical limitations of the PS4 won't hinder development, which is not the same thing as saying the game will be shite because I'm confident that it will be very good, but it could be so much more, IMO. Obviously, it will look prettier on the current-gen, but within the context of what it could be, that's pretty superficial.

Again, this is a slightly different situation because the game was intended to be a PS4 game that is now sort of migrating to the PS5 as opposed to the other way around, but it's still slightly disappointing.

Still looking forward to it, though. Loved the first one.

Massive Spanner

Yeah it's pretty simple. You can't fully take advantage of the SSD and dual sense if you are also developing the game for a console without them.

nimic

something nice
Scout
More PS5 exclusives is also beneficial to them as it gives people a reason to upgrade.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sale of PS5 now characterized by the lack of supply, and not in any way a lack of demand? Making Horizon a PS5-exclusive would do very little (or nothing) in the long run to increase sale of PS5s, but it would have an immediate and drastic effect on the sale of Horizon.

I haven't been in that much of a rush to get a PS5, given that I just spent quite a lot upgrading my computer, but right now I don't think I could get one in Norway even if I wanted to. I'd have to have been on waiting lists months ago, probably. With the hardware shortage that is going on in the world right now, it's feasible that I'm still on my PS4 when Horizon comes out.

I just don't think there was ever any way this wasn't releasing on PS4.

Massive Spanner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sale of PS5 now characterized by the lack of supply, and not in any way a lack of demand? Making Horizon a PS5-exclusive would do very little (or nothing) in the long run to increase sale of PS5s, but it would have an immediate and drastic effect on the sale of Horizon.

I haven't been in that much of a rush to get a PS5, given that I just spent quite a lot upgrading my computer, but right now I don't think I could get one in Norway even if I wanted to. I'd have to have been on waiting lists months ago, probably. With the hardware shortage that is going on in the world right now, it's feasible that I'm still on my PS4 when Horizon comes out.

I just don't think there was ever any way this wasn't releasing on PS4.
I somehow doubt Guerrila or Sony knew back in 2018 when they decided to make this cross-gen that there would be a global pandemic that would cause massive chip shortages hindering console sales.

I agree with the last sentence but that's not because it wouldn't be beneficial for them to make a PS5 exclusive as Adam suggested.

Besides, with exclusives it's not just about immediate sales, they can have a big effect across the lifetime of a console. Just look at how good it's been for Sony to release next gen upgrades for all their best exclusives so far, it's been a huge advantage over Microsoft.

Like I said, it's probably more up to the publisher. Ratchet and Clank is a big seller for Sony too and they made that PS5 only, probably because Insomniac wanted to take full advantage of the PS5's benefits, whereas Guerrila with Horizon probably didn't care.

b82REZ

Pretty sure someone on here said they knew someone in Guerrila and that it was still a good way off being done.
It was me.

Didn't ask last time I spoke to my mate but previously he'd said most likely early next year.

It might be Q4 this year if there's a SOP tomorrow. Seems a little early if it is going to be a 2022 release.

Fully Fledged

Just put on the IGN coverage and started to watch it. Then I realised that the countdown clock in the corner said 5 hours. Sod that I can't take 5 hours of IGN jabbering on.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Looking forward to this. I just want some raw, unadulterated gameplay. No cutting back between developers explaining this and that. No quick 2-minute mashup of "gameplay" interspersed with cinematics. Just drop someone in the world and let them go. Do that for 20 mins and I'll be happy.

Ainu

Bit too late for me I think, it starts at midnight over here. Something to look forward to tomorrow morning then.

Edit: seems to be 11 PM instead of midnight, maybe I'll check it out after all.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Does anyone think they might drop a release date for this as well tonight so folk can start pre-ordering?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think so, my guess is February 2022.

I hope there is no tacked on multiplayer or anything like that.
It's being released this year, I think. That's what they said, anyway. November I'm going for

RedDevilRoshi

I think so, my guess is February 2022.

I hope there is no tacked on multiplayer or anything like that.
I was thinking next year too but with them doing a state of play show tonight, that has made me change my mind. I think it’s gonna be this year now. Late November/Early December just in time for Christmas.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think this will be a November release & GoW next summer.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So did anything happen in this other than camera panning around various enviroment footage. I clicked the stream 3 times and nothing, skimmed back through 3 hours and nothing. Did it actually show gameplay?