Gaming Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is by far the best looking video game I have ever seen and it's not even close.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
This is by far the best looking video game I have ever seen and it's not even close.
Yeah, yeah.. but tell us about the story, the characters, the gameplay!

Sarni

I've played this for an hour or so, I don't know much about the story or characters. It's supposed to be good according to reviewers and gamers who have played it more.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I've played this for an hour or so, I don't know much about the story or characters. It's supposed to be good according to reviewers and gamers who have played it more.
In your own time, I won't be getting this for a while I think.

b82REZ

The story starts off a bit slow but gets going after a couple of hours. I'm getting a Witcher feel from the world and characters. It remains to be seen if it'll be as deep and engrossing as Witcher but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I really like the combat. I've not fought anything huge in the wild yet and the enemies I'm facing at the moment seem pretty easy to beat. The one boss battle I had I really enjoyed fighting so looking forward to more of them.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
The story starts off a bit slow but gets going after a couple of hours. I'm getting a Witcher feel from the world and characters. It remains to be seen if it'll be as deep and engrossing as Witcher but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I really like the combat. I've not fought anything huge in the wild yet and the enemies I'm facing at the moment seem pretty easy to beat. The one boss battle I had I really enjoyed fighting so looking forward to more of them.
Thanks for the update, and keeping it spoiler-free. :D

Ainu

I was on the fence about this one but the positive comments are slowly dragging me off of it. I'm still a bit sceptical though, I'd like to hear your thoughts after 20-30 hours of gameplay. When the initial wow factor has worn off and repetitiveness sets in (which is inevitable in such a game, even The Witcher 3 couldn't avoid it), will it still be strong enough to keep your interests. That's my main concern.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Can those of you who have played it say something to perhaps what's original about it? Does it being anything new to the open world genre (nemesis system for LOTR: SoM)?

Looks good fun, with solid graphics and a fairly interesting setting. Is it more than a third person far cry primal though as I got really bored of the lack of weapons in that, and do have general open world fatigue at the moment.

Wondering whether to get it now or wait a while.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can those of you who have played it say something to perhaps what's original about it? Does it being anything new to the open world genre (nemesis system for LOTR: SoM)?
I don't think so - of the few YouTube reviews I've seen they say there's nothing particularly innovative that will add to the genre, but it doesn't detract from the games quality at all.

Sarni

Looks good fun, with solid graphics and a fairly interesting setting. Is it more than a third person far cry primal though as I got really bored of the lack of weapons in that, and do have general open world fatigue at the moment.

Wondering whether to get it now or wait a while.
There doesn't seem to be anything original about it. After 2 hours of gameplay it seems like a well executed, gorgeous action adventure game with the elements of RPG.

Graphics are not solid. It's on another level to anything else out there bar maybe Uncharted 4 (and it's still considerably better than that too). I don't see similarities to Far Cry aside from the fact that both games feature large amounts of grass.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
There doesn't seem to be anything original about it. After 2 hours of gameplay it seems like a well executed, gorgeous action adventure game with the elements of RPG.

Graphics are not solid. It's on another level to anything else out there bar maybe Uncharted 4 (and it's still considerably better than that too). I don't see similarities to Far Cry aside from the fact that both games feature large amounts of grass.
Far Cry primal which is spears and bows, where you kill animals and craft materials in an open world, climb towers to unlock portions of the map, riddled with collectibles etc.?

Thanks. Nothing wrong with a well executed game, was just hoping for something a little more.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Far Cry primal which is spears and bows, where you kill animals and craft materials in an open world, climb towers to unlock portions of the map, riddled with collectibles etc.?

Thanks. Nothing wrong with a well executed game, was just hoping for something a little more.
First paragraph is basically every game out there :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That's pretty much my point to be honest mate. So many open world with the same tropes, mechanics and structure.
If you don't play those type of games there will be nothing go play :/ just hope with it being robot animals it might make it a bit different.

I can't really think of any games coming out soon which won't be using that pretty tried and tested formula :/

b82REZ

The game feels like they've taken the best bits of popular games and mixed them all together. You have the outpost infiltrations of Far Cry, SoTC style climbing puzzles to unlock the map, Witcher style story telling and mission progression, the setting of the Last of Us and fecking massive robot dinosaurs.

I'm about 4 or so hours in and I'm just blown away by the setting and scale of it. I usually get bored of these types of games over time but at the moment I'm loving it. If the story and action keep it up I could see this being my GOTY.

DWelbz19

I think one thing to probably note is that this is the first open-world action-adventure RPG style game that Guerilla have made, so I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking to come from it. As said above, a mesh of all the traits of great games before it to make a very good game sounds fine to me.

Innovation in general within this genre of games is patchy at the best of times, and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait until something like Cyberpunk 2077 or a later instalment from one of the other big developers to add something truly fresh for us all to feast upon.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On consoles or in general? Because every review I watch seems to say it's brilliant looking "for a console game" or something.

Sarni

On consoles or in general? Because every review I watch seems to say it's brilliant looking "for a console game" or something.
I have not played a game on PC other than Football Manager for about 17 years so cannot comment. Even said 'video game' in that post. ;)

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Played it for around 4 hours last night. Just made it to the part where actual game opens up, saw the size of the map, crapped my pants at the size of it and called it a night.
This game is cruel! Adults are dickheads, kids are bullies!
Aye, everyone is a proper dickhead until now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Played it for around 4 hours last night. Just made it to the part where actual game opens up, saw the size of the map, crapped my pants at the size of it and called it a night.

I don't think I'm that far but it's amazing so far :drool: it really is beautiful, thought people were getting over excited too easily but they're not. Struggling to play though as jabbed myself in the eyeball trying to get a contact lense out while drunk and can barely look at anything bright :(

Eriku

Spoiled it a wee bit for myself and watched the first couple of hours of a let's play.

Looks sooo good. At one point Aloy is talking to someone and is saddened a bit, and the way her microexpressions changed hit me right in the heart. And I love the way the map looks so far. Sooo looking forward to exploring the world :)

Sarni

Yes it's an open world game. If it's similar to Far Cry Primal, it's equally similar to Red Dead Redemption, GTA and Witcher 3.

DWelbz19

Really enjoying this so far. The graphics really are incredible, combat is pretty fluid, and the monsters look great.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This looks really good imo and i'm sure going to get it at some point.

My only gripe though (and with any other game of this genera) is their insentience on filling it with side quests who by far and large are menial and repetetive tasks. Killing Y number of X or collecting Z number of items is just boring filler who belongs in MMO's, not single player games

What ever happened to exploring just for the sake of exploring?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

These are from neogaf and captured in photo mode - but it looks incredible!

DWelbz19

This looks really good imo and i'm sure going to get it at some point.

My only gripe though (and with any other game of this genera) is their insentience on filling it with side quests who by far and large are menial and repetetive tasks. Killing Y number of X or collecting Z number of items is just boring filler who belongs in MMO's, not single player games

Yeah, only flaw I've come across so far is one side quest was a very basic fetch quest with nothing fleshed into it. The climbing was very Assassins Creed like too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have not played a game on PC other than Football Manager for about 17 years so cannot comment. Even said 'video game' in that post. ;)
Ah okay. I do wonder if PC games are even superior to this.

If the map is so big I'm surprised the game is supposed to be only 35 odd hours of gameplay. I would have thought that a world like this would have a good 70 hrs of gameplay.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Exploring for the sake of exploring sounds incredibly dull. In a game there always has to be a sense of effort and reward. Those who explore further reaches and depths of the world should be rewarded in some way with lore or resources. Is that what side 'questlines' are like in the game?

DWelbz19

I'd say I've invested most of the day playing this and it's really rather good. The writing is a tad iffy at times but overall the main quest is compelling. The open world is great, and to repeat for what must be the 20th time this thread, the graphics really are amazing. Probably the most attractive game I've played on this console.

In all it is more of an open world adventure game than an RPG, you really don't make any choices that seem to differ the game in any way. Character dialogue is limited to progressing the main plot, and your choices are really only to ask further questions about the lore or more quest information. In the same vein side-quests do seem disappointing, with very little character exposition within them. It's just the regular 'find me X in exchange for Y', or 'I've lost person X, can you find them?'. The caveat of course is 'so far', I imagine I haven't scratched much of the questline thus far.

One other aside is Aloy's commentary - it is a bit annoying. Not quite as great as 'what now, you piece of filth?'

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Exploring for the sake of exploring sounds incredibly dull. In a game there always has to be a sense of effort and reward. Those who explore further reaches and depths of the world should be rewarded in some way with lore or resources. Is that what side 'questlines' are like in the game?
I think you misunderstood. By exploring i meant finding hidden loot, dangerous enemies, secrets etc, not just taking in the landscape.

I hate how many modern games have become with mini maps on the hud showing everything, markers on the screen, a gazzillion side quests who is just the same shite in a new package. If the game lacks a sense of effort and reward on its own, it's a bad game. As you said: "Those who explore further reaches and depths of the world should be rewarded in some way with lore or resources", but imo it's feels much better to find that place on your own instead of some NPC sending you there

I have no issue with side quests if they are well designed and have some kind of purpose of backstory to them, but the ones that you are some kind of conquering hero and some pleb asks you to carry a pitcher of piss across the street pisses me off

Peanut Butter

Single player gaming don't interest me that much these days after playing stuff like Rust, Ark and Day Z - stuff that really keeps me on my toes.

This does look good - but I haven't got another Witcher/Skyrim in me. I thought this would have a huge multiplayer aspect but it doesn't and the thought of running around fighting AI robots just doesn't appeal to me right now.

Will try it at a much later date.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Slow mo jumping headshots and twating robot zebras around the head with a big stick are endlessly entertaining.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I think you misunderstood. By exploring i meant finding hidden loot, dangerous enemies, secrets etc, not just taking in the landscape.

I hate how many modern games have become with mini maps on the hud showing everything, markers on the screen, a gazzillion side quests who is just the same shite in a new package. If the game lacks a sense of effort and reward on its own, it's a bad game. As you said: "Those who explore further reaches and depths of the world should be rewarded in some way with lore or resources", but imo it's feels much better to find that place on your own instead of some NPC sending you there

I have no issue with side quests if they are well designed and have some kind of purpose of backstory to them, but the ones that you are some kind of conquering hero and some pleb asks you to carry a pitcher of piss across the street pisses me off
:lol: Yeah, I agree with that.