Gaming Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Such a gorgeous looking game. Find myself doing the same thing as I did Witcher 3 where I'm just standing and rotating the camera slowly to take it in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Another really good feature this game has but is a fairly small detail is how brilliant the map is. It flows so well, with the menus being 60fps.

Though I do hope they pull a Witcher 3 and patch the other menus, the crafting/potions part is a bit jumbled and a bit difficult to follow with no handholding.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Upto town before proving. (I think)
So I'm upto some town and just met Olin and his mate. Have a few gripes about the game now, probably not even spoiler worthy but I dont know if I'll accidentally spoil something.

Some facial animations are pretty poor, those of side quests people usually and their dialogue and voice acting can be terrible. That bloke who was hearing voices was especially terrible. Even in certain scenes Aloys face doesn't look right, too perfect. I am not on ps4 pro though so that could be that.

The side quests I have done are the same shit with different people so far, and none of their "stories" make me want to help if I'm honest. Oh x is lost, can you find them, last seen here, use focus, follow, kill a few robots, done. Maybe they will get better.

I don't really understand the weapons either, may need to read the tutorial about them, can't understand what does are better really or why.

Oh also, wtf is with the weather? I've had it go from day to some weird dark green for a while at one point, then the weather changes also seem way too quick, just looks weird half the time, as if you're about to enter some cutscenes.

I am enjoying it overall but think alot of the love in is in the fact that it's new and beautiful. It does seem lacking in places. So far the storyline with Aloy and Rost has been pretty good. Makes you feel sorry for her.

A lot of people talk to Aloy too, considering they shouldn't? Doesn't make me feel like much of an outcast now.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
@swooshboy See what I mean now you are seeing it in motion?

Now I'm watching it with my own eyes, it's a really beautifully done game though. Artwork plays a huge part, but the engine is smooth even if it's 30fps, I'm not seeing much slowdown and the lighting looks impressive. At least on the pro.

Photo modes, and stills really do capture a different side. That isn't a bad thing though, because it shows a lot of art and what the engine is capable of rendering. It's just when you add the actual game stuff, like physics/animation/a.i./etc the machine simply just has to make sacrifices.

Again though, for a console game (just for you @amolbhatia50k ;)), it's really good looking and smooth. I like it a lot.
Yep - agree with your comments.

It is a stunningly realized world. They've done an incredible job of fitting everything together. The mechanical creatures look and sound totally solid yet they fit perfectly with the natural environments.

Really enjoying taking my time and just exploring.

I finished the proving last night so am about to head into Meridien.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm taking it very slow, especially with Zelda at the same time which probably means that I will comfortably take until June to finish both. So far I have liked the story, it's interesting enough and has a nice element of suspense to it. The world is more important though, IMO, it's really massive and diverse which means you keep stumbling across new stuff which you did not realize were there. Another thing is they've absolutely nailed the combat in this IMO, fighting these massive machines really feels great and satisfying and IMO better than the Witcher did.

DWelbz19

Upto town before proving. (I think)
So I'm upto some town and just met Olin and his mate. Have a few gripes about the game now, probably not even spoiler worthy but I dont know if I'll accidentally spoil something.

Some facial animations are pretty poor, those of side quests people usually and their dialogue and voice acting can be terrible. That bloke who was hearing voices was especially terrible. Even in certain scenes Aloys face doesn't look right, too perfect. I am not on ps4 pro though so that could be that.

The side quests I have done are the same shit with different people so far, and none of their "stories" make me want to help if I'm honest. Oh x is lost, can you find them, last seen here, use focus, follow, kill a few robots, done. Maybe they will get better.

I don't really understand the weapons either, may need to read the tutorial about them, can't understand what does are better really or why.

Oh also, wtf is with the weather? I've had it go from day to some weird dark green for a while at one point, then the weather changes also seem way too quick, just looks weird half the time, as if you're about to enter some cutscenes.

I am enjoying it overall but think alot of the love in is in the fact that it's new and beautiful. It does seem lacking in places. So far the storyline with Aloy and Rost has been pretty good. Makes you feel sorry for her.

A lot of people talk to Aloy too, considering they shouldn't? Doesn't make me feel like much of an outcast now.
Your criticisms are quite unanimous, really: the facial animations are really iffy, (though I don't think the voice acting is bad, it's pretty much OK), and the sidequests are very conventionally fetch-quest-like. Not quite sure how you not getting the weapons is a criticism of the game though. I'd like to see if your opinion changes at all once you reach Meridian, I think the game picks up there a little.

In all, I think as has been stated before in the thread, and you even allude to something similar; the game isn't providing anything groundbreaking other than spectacular graphics, but it does add another very good game to the action-adventure open world genre with elements of RPG within it.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Damn I want the switch but I also want this. Argos are doing this in a bundle with a PS4 for 199 :drool:

DWelbz19

Fecking Thunderjaw

That one on the road to Meridian absolutely ruined me

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Easy platinum in around 40 hours. The shield wiever armor makes you a demi god of sorts.

Sarni

I've been switching between Zelda and this, funny how you immediately forget all the controls and struggle in combat initially. :lol: I now have two main story missions, both requiring level 12 and neither of them has really looked like it can be completed at level 9 which I am at the minute so now I'm off to wandering about killing machines and leveling up. Not that I mind walking around forever in this world, it's just absolutely ace and gorgeous.

I should probably try to improve my weapon now but this upgrade menu is not very intuitive. Do I understand correctly that I have to collect coil and stuff from fallen enemies to be able to upgrade?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've been switching between Zelda and this, funny how you immediately forget all the controls and struggle in combat initially. :lol: I now have two main story missions, both requiring level 12 and neither of them has really looked like it can be completed at level 9 which I am at the minute so now I'm off to wandering about killing machines and leveling up. Not that I mind walking around forever in this world, it's just absolutely ace and gorgeous.

I should probably try to improve my weapon now but this upgrade menu is not very intuitive. Do I understand correctly that I have to collect coil and stuff from fallen enemies to be able to upgrade?
How good is it Sarni? Is Zelda clearly a level above? Not that it matters given I have a ps4. Just trying to feel good about my next purchase :D

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

I agree that it could be more helpful. I think that is the general idea - the coils allow you to upgrade and tailor your weapons. There is a skill you can unlock that means you can add and remove coils from weapons - without that skill if you remove a coil, then I think it is destroyed. I have two bows equipped - the regular one and a sharpshooter one. Right now I have one setup for damage - so both coils I have added add a damage percentage. I am going to set the other one up for tearing, which should make it quicker to strip components from machines.

Sarni

I agree that it could be more helpful. I think that is the general idea - the coils allow you to upgrade and tailor your weapons. There is a skill you can unlock that means you can add and remove coils from weapons - without that skill if you remove a coil, then I think it is destroyed. I have two bows equipped - the regular one and a sharpshooter one. Right now I have one setup for damage - so both coils I have added add a damage percentage. I am going to set the other one up for tearing, which should make it quicker to strip components from machines.
Thanks! I have only installed few upgrades so far, at level 9 there's not much I can do really. I will play around with it a bit when I come home, so far I've not had any problems with my weapon. Do I also upgrade the sword somehow, and can I get a better one? The first merchant I met does not seem to offer any from what I remember.

Sarni

How good is it Sarni? Is Zelda clearly a level above? Not that it matters given I have a ps4. Just trying to feel good about my next purchase :D
There are people on here who can comment more on the quality of Horizon as they've played more, I am barely 3-4 hours in as I did not have too much time during weekend to play, but it's a very good game so far. It's worth it for experiencing the world alone, it's just brilliantly built and incredible to look at. The combat is also very enjoyable and challenging.

Zelda is a different game, it offers you more freedom and builds a completely different kind of world. I would not say it's a level above at all. It's just different. You'll be happy enough with Horizon IMO.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Thanks! I have only installed few upgrades so far, at level 9 there's not much I can do really. I will play around with it a bit when I come home, so far I've not had any problems with my weapon. Do I also upgrade the sword somehow, and can I get a better one? The first merchant I met does not seem to offer any from what I remember.
Not sure on the spear - am still figuring out things too!

There are, again, a couple of skills that upgrade your spear to do more damage - not sure beyond that.

Sarni

Not sure on the spear - am still figuring out things too!

There are, again, a couple of skills that upgrade your spear to do more damage - not sure beyond that.
The spear, indeed I am fighting with a spear not a sword :lol:

Neelu

There is no upgrade on spear, only what you get from skills. My setup was a hunter bow for hardpoint arrows, a sharpshooter bow for tearblast arrows, a ropecaster to tie them down and a sling with freeze bombs. Thats all you need to take any mofo down.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I really want to play this but would have to buy a ps4. Can't justify that for one game (ok two, as I've have to play Last of Us while I'm at it) with limited gaming time these days :(

Eriku

I would be balls deep in this game but for only just getting into Witcher 3. Not the best time to dive into another sandbox game.

Really encouraged by people's reactions to the game, though ^_^

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Horizon Zero Dawn PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch in the UK...

...Instead, it’s Sony’s PS4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn that grabs the crown, beating Nintendo’s adventure title by a comfortable margin and becoming PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch in the process.

It’s also the biggest launch of the year so far and Sony’s biggest launch since Uncharted 4.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/horiz...o-no-1/0179703
Horizon is Sony's biggest new franchise launch on PS4 - a title previously held by No Man's Sky. It's also the biggest PS4 launch in general since Uncharted 4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ranchise-debut

Well done Guerilla, they've made an absolute beaut in Horizon Zero Dawn. Good to see it translating into sales too.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Bah. Debating whether to start or not. Still have a good 20 hours left of the amazing Yakuza 0, and then Mass Effect Andromeda is out in two weeks, don't want to start only to abandon it for that. Maybe I'll leave it til after.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Horizon Zero Dawn PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch in the UK...

Well done Guerilla, they've made an absolute beaut in Horizon Zero Dawn. Good to see it translating into sales too.
Well deserved. Sony have knocking it out of the park with exclusives for PS4. Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Until Dawn, it's probably safe to assume TLOU2 and Death Stranding will be great too.

We'll forgive them The Order: 1886, I guess.

Edit: How could I forget about No Man's Sky in the duds section?!

Neelu

Well deserved. Sony have knocking it out of the park with exclusives for PS4. Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Until Dawn, it's probably safe to assume TLOU2 and Death Stranding will be great too.

Came out on PC though.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

I think No Man's Sky has been vastly improved with their patch - it's actually enjoyable just to chill out and explore. I think as a game it was overly ambition, or maybe not entirely thought out. But I would rather studios were trying new things and taking risks, than just releasing more of the same old same old games.

Sarni

They just released Nioh, Yakuza 0 and now Nier Automata in the last 6 weeks too. Sony have been absolutely killing it with exclusives lately!

b82REZ

Just beat the first Cauldron. I love the big fights in this game.

It took me a while to start using it but the rope bow is invaluable.

diarm

Got my hands on my new PS4 last night (first console since the N64), set it up and said I'd have a quick half hour on this to see what it's like.

It's now 5:26am and I'm tearing myself away from it to go to bed. This may have been a worse decision than I'd anticipated.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Got my hands on my new PS4 last night (first console since the N64), set it up and said I'd have a quick half hour on this to see what it's like.

It's now 5:26am and I'm tearing myself away from it to go to bed. This may have been a worse decision than I'd anticipated.
Ah the joys of a new console :drool:

Omar Little

So Cedric is in this game!

Cedric Daniels from The Wire aka Lance Reddick is in the game. Bloody AWESOME!

diarm

Is this just because it's my first experience with a PS4 or is this game really as good as I think it is?

Stunningly beautiful, cracking storyline so far, loads to do and I haven't got bored at all yet. I'm 25 hours in and I've completed 27.5%, mainly because I've spent so much time just exploring and completing errands and side quests!

I never would have thought bow and spear combat could be this good!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I posted this in the PS4 thread - took this in game and now using it as my theme background:

Loving the graphics in this game! Stunning!

JTW95

Gullible sausage
What's the Cafs verdict? Is this worth £40 of my hard earned money?