Gaming Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I'd say I've invested most of the day playing this and it's really rather good. The writing is a tad iffy at times but overall the main quest is compelling. The open world is great, and to repeat for what must be the 20th time this thread, the graphics really are amazing. Probably the most attractive game I've played on this console.

In all it is more of an open world adventure game than an RPG, you really don't make any choices that seem to differ the game in any way. Character dialogue is limited to progressing the main plot, and your choices are really only to ask further questions about the lore or more quest information. In the same vein side-quests do seem disappointing, with very little character exposition within them. It's just the regular 'find me X in exchange for Y', or 'I've lost person X, can you find them?'. The caveat of course is 'so far', I imagine I haven't scratched much of the questline thus far.

One other aside is Aloy's commentary - it is a bit annoying. Not quite as great as 'what now, you piece of filth?'
Overall, sounds like a solid but largely safe first step into the action-adventure sandbox genre.

Must confess, I thought the robotic beasts were a silly idea, and I'm pleasantly surprised they haven't raised any such negative opinions from peeps that are actually playing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Overall, sounds like a solid but largely safe first step into the action-adventure sandbox genre.
Yup. It definitely seems to be the view more seasoned reviewers are taking too, so I can probably say this is the case with some safety.
Must confess, I thought the robotic beasts were a silly idea, and I'm pleasantly surprised they haven't raised any such negative opinions from peeps that are actually playing.
Ha, it is strange. They do sound very silly in an abstract sense, but I think they've been designed fairly well, so the mixture of great graphics and the stealthy archer combat system really adorns them as an enemy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How is the story? I always thought that the story in the Killzone series was bad, but it shouldn't have been when you read the "history" that GG put up on their site which details parts of the universe that, had they been put in the games as well, would have made everything seem a lot more detailed and in depth than "hurr bald baddies need sploding".

Swaters16

This game gives me hope that one day there'll be a real (or clone) monster hunter on consoles. Give the game graphics like this, and I may never see outside again

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Have started playing this an absolutely love it!!

It has drawn me in in a way that The Witcher never has - can't really explain why but it has.

The visuals are unbelievable - just following a trail is a sight for the senses!

The combat is also very enjoyable - the bow is always a great weapon and I love the feel of it in this game. Cannot wait to explore more!!

DWelbz19

Just arrived at Meridian (seems to be the main city of the game). Looks really pretty, definitely has a Novigrad feel to it.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Pre ordered on amazon weeks ago

Due to be delivered Friday of next week

That's what I get for living in Ireland

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Do you need an active PS Plus membership to play this?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Have started playing this an absolutely love it!!

It has drawn me in in a way that The Witcher never has - can't really explain why but it has.

The visuals are unbelievable - just following a trail is a sight for the senses!

The combat is also very enjoyable - the bow is always a great weapon and I love the feel of it in this game. Cannot wait to explore more!!
Yeah I was worried when I first played it thinking I may never complete se4 with you :lol:

Yeah the bow seems perfect in this, loved the bow combat in tomb raider too. Feck guns, they're shit.

I now can't decide whether to complete it over weeks and savour it or becoming completely consumed by it and complete it in a couple of goes :lol:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Great, thanks. I think I'll jump aboard the hype train. This will be the first game I've played in ages so can't be arsed being tied to the plus subscription. I never seem to have time to get my moneys worth.

DWelbz19

Normal HUD, normal waypoint, 'hard' difficulty. I love the surroundings but I'm not that keen that I'll just walk around aimlessly without the HUD on. Not in any games, really.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I was kind of hoping this would be middling so I didn't have to buy it.

DWelbz19

Give us a Ciri cross-over DLC, lads :smirk:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Normal HUD, normal waypoint, 'hard' difficulty. I love the surroundings but I'm not that keen that I'll just walk around aimlessly without the HUD on. Not in any games, really.
The Dynsmic HUD is great - it shows you things when you need them, but otherwise disappears so you can enjoy the view.

You can always lightly touch the touchpad to bring it back at any moment.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Yeah I was worried when I first played it thinking I may never complete se4 with you :lol:

Yeah the bow seems perfect in this, loved the bow combat in tomb raider too. Feck guns, they're shit.

I now can't decide whether to complete it over weeks and savour it or becoming completely consumed by it and complete it in a couple of goes :lol:
:lol:

Very true - but loving SE4 too!

I actually think the fact that it isn't as big/deep as Witcher actually helps me! It feels less intimidating!

Maybe this game might give me the impetus to give Witcher another go?

But SE4 and Ghost Recon first!!

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
This has been bloody great so far, and I'm only just about to set off for Meridian. That first corruptor battle was kicking my arse initially so I had to think about what tactics and weapons to use then I was able to get the better of it.

DWelbz19

How's the sound/soundtrack? I haven't finished downloading it yet, but I love good music in a game
Nothing amazing. I play with my headphones in but the soundtrack doesn't really blow you away. One of the additional little things the game lacks.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Sod it. Ordered from Amazon. Suffering with acute Zelda envy so this will have to fill the gap.

First time I've bought a full price game in ages.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Played it for a few hours, great game so far. I really liked the introduction and Aloy has the potential for a great character. Story seems to be interesting so far and I like the general hunting mechanics.

And of course the game just looks stunning on a 4K TV + HDR with the PS4 Pro, even more impressive when you realize it's an open world game and still looking as impressive as Uncharted 4.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Watched playstation access play this game. Man, I really want it now, but I still have the chalice dungeons in bloodborne and dark souls 3, and then ffxv dlc's to go through before I can look at other games, and even then I'm not done with Witcher 3 (though because i get headaches from it, i likely never will, sadly).

The PS4 so far has more memorable games than the PS3 had for me, this generation is going to be awesome! :)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Greedy lambo. I think I'll wait until Xmas for the switch. Too much coming out on the ps4 I wanna play. And I don't really have much time any more sadly.
To be fair, it's for the missus, she's playing it right now whilst I play Zelda, then later we are going to Switch it up (hehe) and she's going to play Zelda and I'll try this.

It's the perfect relationship!

siw2007

Got it on Wednesday and I'm really impressed so far, it looks and plays beautifully.

My only gripe so far is that the mission levels are misleading at times, for example, I've just completed the first cauldron which was stated to be level 8, this was one massive lie and ended up having a pretty stressful 45 minutes.

vanthaman

Winner
Got it on Wednesday and I'm really impressed so far, it looks and plays beautifully.

My only gripe so far is that the mission levels are misleading at times, for example, I've just completed the first cauldron which was stated to be level 8, this was one massive lie and ended up having a pretty stressful 45 minutes.
I went straight to the HRO cauldron after doing the first one, think I was a level 18, got to the boss and didnt have much health or ammo, thought I was going to be stuck there forever but somehow managed to do it

siw2007

I went straight to the HRO cauldron after doing the first one, think I was a level 18, got to the boss and didnt have much health or ammo, thought I was going to be stuck there forever but somehow managed to do it
Fair play to you. I was level 11 on the first one thinking it was going to be straight forward, but that boss was really annoying. To label at level 8, then throw a level 18 boss at the end was a kick in the face.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Taking a still that the engine renders up is still not what you are seeing on the screen in motion, extra filters or not. It just doesn't work that way, nor are either the standard or pro machines capable.

That doesn't mean it's not a beautiful game of course.
These are from gameplay, so not photo mode:

Yeah, that second image looks a lot more like it.
@swooshboy See what I mean now you are seeing it in motion?

Now I'm watching it with my own eyes, it's a really beautifully done game though. Artwork plays a huge part, but the engine is smooth even if it's 30fps, I'm not seeing much slowdown and the lighting looks impressive. At least on the pro.

Photo modes, and stills really do capture a different side. That isn't a bad thing though, because it shows a lot of art and what the engine is capable of rendering. It's just when you add the actual game stuff, like physics/animation/a.i./etc the machine simply just has to make sacrifices.

Again though, for a console game (just for you @amolbhatia50k ;)), it's really good looking and smooth. I like it a lot.

diarm

Finally bit the bullet and bought a PS4 today. This is going to be my first game as it came in a brilliant deal!

Wife is heading home to Singapore for a month next week and I can't wait to dive in! Should probably avoid this thread until then but I'm too excited reading all your comments and seeing the pictures.

vanthaman

Winner
Fair play to you. I was level 11 on the first one thinking it was going to be straight forward, but that boss was really annoying. To label at level 8, then throw a level 18 boss at the end was a kick in the face.
The recommended level was 11 for RHO, I'd double that