How could you possibly be content with this?

cyberman

You're confused. "Fergie time" happened about 5-6 times a season, and part of "Fergie time" was matches in which we were dominant from start to finish but couldn't break through. You're mistaking performances like today for those professional, lower gear but in complete control performances, and that's what top level managers can get out of their teams consistently. I try to look at everything fairly so I'll say I have seen that under Ole, but it has to be sustained for longer periods of the season than it has been so far. Today was not an example of the aforementioned type of performance so let's not spin it into something it isn't.
We won 27 pts from losing positions in SAF last season

Gasolin

We won 27 pts from losing positions in SAF last season
I think some have completely erased how we were playing, as I remember the same type of frustration that we see with Ole at that time, and have somehow idealized the winning time!!! It’s actually a bit hilarious and simultaneously scary.

cyberman

I think some have completely erased how we were playing, as I remember the same type of frustration that we see with Ole at that time, and have somehow idealized the winning time!!! It’s actually a bit hilarious and simultaneously scary.
The amount of crying about our midfield and fullbacks has been long forgotten

Fingeredmouse

You're confused. "Fergie time" happened about 5-6 times a season, and part of "Fergie time" was matches in which we were dominant from start to finish but couldn't break through. You're mistaking performances like today for those professional, lower gear but in complete control performances, and that's what top level managers can get out of their teams consistently. I try to look at everything fairly so I'll say I have seen that under Ole, but it has to be sustained for longer periods of the season than it has been so far. Today was not an example of the aforementioned type of performance so let's not spin it into something it isn't.
Are you fecking kidding?
We were absolutely shite and turned it on late in the second half many, many times. This is revisionist bullshit of the highest order.

seegoblu

To be fair, I don’t know the day to day responsibilities of a DoF, but I like the team Ole has been putting together (shifting the dead wood out and bringing in Bruno, VdB, AWB). If we made Ole responsible for team construction and brought in a manager with better technical nous I would be willing to give it a shot. If not, burn the management infrastructure down and start over with a new DoF and a coaching staff that share the same philo

Flexdegea

How can anyone have watched this game and walked away thinking "we're going places"? Two years in charge in a few days for Ole and we've still no style of play. To be outplayed by David fecking Moyes of all people managing an average West Ham squad is not a sign of progress. Is this what people wanted when Mourinho was sacked?

We turned up for 15 minutes today and we're fortunate that we're in a position to spend money that teams like West Ham can't. Even Gary Neville was questioning the performance. That wasn't acceptable in any way for a Manchester United team. Its costs us before and it'll cost us again. This is eerily similar to Mourinhos second season. We were winning even when things didn't look right and we know how that ended.

Like skip bayliss take on Lebron, :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
5-6 times a season?

Matches we dominated but couldn't break through?

Dearly me, it's not me that's confused, based on this post you either didnt watch those games or you've completely rose tinted your memories of them.

One of Fegies most defining games was one where we were outplayed for the entire game but won through 2 moments of magic/luck.

fps

5-6 times a season?

Matches we dominated but couldn't break through?

Dearly me, it's not me that's confused, based on this post you either didnt watch those games or you've completely rose tinted your memories of them.

One of Fegies most defining games was one where we were outplayed for the entire game but won through 2 moments of magic/luck.
One wonders what some of these posters would have made of Fergie's entire time at United if one CL final had been three minutes shorter and the other had a more secure penalty spot.

RedorDead21

We struggle to start games yes but I think your stretching it.
yeah but against any decent team, say city next up, we can’t be giving them the head start. And if we do this place will be going nuts. That the part I agree with. I wanted Ole sacked at half time. At full time I’m in 2 minds. This is every week. We must be running out of rabbits and hats.

Gasolin

It is clear now that those who do not understand the parallel with SAF don’t understand... because they never watched us winning during that time!!! Or something happened with the memories and the reality has been distorted. It does explain a bit why they keep telling us the comparison to SAF is irrelevant. While I don’t think Ole is SAF, I think he is bringing the same core points and building the same winning mentality that will translate into titles. But yeah, some here have not watched us, clearly.

OverratedOpinion

yeah but against any decent team, say city next up, we can’t be giving them the head start. And if we do this place will be going nuts. That the part I agree with. I wanted Ole sacked at half time. At full time I’m in 2 minds. This is every week. We must be running out of rabbits and hats.
We do excellently well against big teams.

Our problem was being able to beat the teams below us, since lockdown we seem to be much better at that. This resulted in League winning form after lockdown and this season sees us 3 points off the top with a game in hand despite a slow start.

It is clear now that those who do not understand the parallel with SAF don’t understand... because they never watched us winning during that time!!! Or something happened with the memories and the reality has been distorted. It does explain a bit why they keep telling us the comparison to SAF is irrelevant. While I don’t think Ole is SAF, I think he is bringing the same core points and building the same winning mentality that will translate into titles. But yeah, some here have not watched us, clearly.
If it was up to all these fans, SAF would have been sacked long before he won anything at United. Like you, I’m not saying OGS is the second coming of SAF, but for goodness sake, he needs time - and it’s clear he’s building a team unlike Moyes, LVG or Jose

stevoc

Seeing positives doesn’t absolve them of criticism though.

Why can’t the manager get them to start games quickly? Somebody should probably have been subbed in the first half hour to make a point.
So single out one player and potentially destroy that players confidence to make a point?

What point exactly?

Plus it’s stupid as it opens you up to the possibility of having to see out the game with 10 men if you need to make a further two 2nd half subs and a player has to come off injured late. Which as it turned out happened.

stevoc

Someone is definitely confused mate.

We had countless matches under Ferguson where we were absolute dogshit but turned it around late.

SKS

In addition to the substitutions, Solskjaer made two distinct changes at halftime.
Firstly, he played with a more compact team and narrowed the spacing. This again caused them to pick up many more loose balls and be much more dangerous on the counter.
Secondly, he sent forwards slightly higher on pitch, thereby preventing defenders to come up and interrupt. This gave creative midfielders (Bruno) more space to work his magic. This is also a great reason to leave Martial in while taking out Cavani. He is much better suited for that role.

Such tactical nuances seem to go unnoticed by many naysayers, but are crucial to our ability to turn around games.

I am very happy with Solskjaers tactical evolution as a United manager. I think he can become great if given a fair chance.
I didn't carry the same belief in him a year ago, but I don't believe we are simply winning due to acquiring a great creative midfielder, but rather allowing a great creative midfielder to shine.

big rons sovereign

We had countless matches under Ferguson where we were absolute dogshit but turned it around late.
Charity shield against city, 3-0 down against spurs, nou camp 99, 2-4 against Everton......those are just off the top of the head.

phenry

To be fair, I don’t know the day to day responsibilities of a DoF, but I like the team Ole has been putting together (shifting the dead wood out and bringing in Bruno, VdB, AWB). If we made Ole responsible for team construction and brought in a manager with better technical nous I would be willing to give it a shot. If not, burn the management infrastructure down and start over with a new DoF and a coaching staff that share the same philo
100% this. At the very least he has shown he can build a good squad. One other thing id say in his favour is that he can get the team playing very well when theyre on a good run. Recent form is not our best but its been enough to get us to 4th. Weve seen that theyre capable of better

Dante

Average bang
Urgh, the "be happy we won" brigade are out in force, as usual.

Yesterday's game was awful for the most part. We should have been well beaten. I'm happy we won but that wasn't a good enough performance for me to be happy with it, regardless of our current position.

United being enjoyable to watch is the main reason that I started supporting them. If you take that away then it's just numbers.

Bigger picture, though: we're making steady progress, albeit very slow, and a more talented manager might one day be able to profit from Solskjaer's reign.
Urgh

lex talionis

Content isn’t what I think most United supporters are feeling right now.

Relief, for sure, that we picked 6 points rather than 0 points over two mid table clubs. Disappointment we by that we’re not yet crushing clubs like Southampton and Moyes Ham, but there’s nothing wrong in the least in applauding the club for getting the job done in the end. Excitement for sure that we finished off a game brilliantly after a horror start.

These top red objections to the excitement expressed here to come from behind wins are cynical. There’s plenty of room for criticism of Ole, Woodhead and the players (I’ve been critical of Martial), but to constantly moan about winning games because we looked poor for a long stretch in those games doesn’t make one a top red.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We beat them 3-1. There are still rooms for improvement, but of course I am happy for the result, and our 2nd half performance.

DoomSlayer

Many of our "fans" have no clue what they are talking about.

The usual clichés are always thrown around and the general level of discussion has dropped a few levels - now it's more about personal agendas and point-scoring, rather than actual debating on a certain topic.

K stand Red

I am going to against the grain here and I can honestly say the performance like many others this season was dog shi**e .

Yes I am glad they won and I appreciate you cant play well every game and history of bygone seasons etc but at least take your rose tinted glasses off.

The first half display was abysmal, we had one touch in the West Ham penalty box in the first half, this being when Martial cut across the very edge of the box to shoot which was saved. (35 MINS)

The passing was the worst I have ever seen from a premier league team since its inception. I would love to see a stat of how many times passes went astray, poorly executed or if they find a player they mis controlled the pass and lost possession, and on many occasions these were simple passes . I am sure the passing accuracy if you discount all the tiny passes sideways and backwards bit like the chuckle brothers " to me to you " between the back four and midfield of anything over 10 yards the % would be very low

Defending at times was laughable and with any right thinking/decent attack or on another day there could have been no complaints if it had been 3 or 4 nil at H/T

The movement and shape of the team and tactics were again very poor, slow and ponderous.

I had just calmed down when Ole gave his I/V and claimed that they had controlled the game in the first half despite some of the difficulties. He must have been watching strictly or something on his monitor cos he sure wasn't seeing what I and many others were seeing

Redfrog

How could you possibly be happy with your team winning ? How could do possibly be happy with life ? How could possibly be happy with yourself ? How could you possibly not be a miserable twat ?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Content isn’t what I think most United supporters are feeling right now.

Relief, for sure, that we picked 6 points rather than 0 points over two mid table clubs. Disappointment we by that we’re not yet crushing clubs like Southampton and Moyes Ham, but there’s nothing wrong in the least in applauding the club for getting the job done in the end. Excitement for sure that we finished off a game brilliantly after a horror start.

These top red objections to the excitement expressed here to come from behind wins are cynical. There’s plenty of room for criticism of Ole, Woodhead and the players (I’ve been critical of Martial), but to constantly moan about winning games because we looked poor for a long stretch in those games doesn’t make one a top red.
The idea that Southampton and West Ham can just be easily dispatched by teams is mental. They’re really good teams. West Ham did better against Liverpool than they did against us. Southampton drew with Chelsea.

They’re good teams. If you expect your club to not struggle against these clubs you’re asking too much.

Redfrog

That is more United of Old then ever.

We are coming back Kings baby !!!

Not long ago the topic was we can never come back from behind with Ole. Now we are doing it for fun some complain we played bad before that.
Probably, if you need a comeback in a game, it is because you were playing bad before that...
But, but, under Fergie we were always playing like Brazil 70 for 90minutes every game for 26 years. That is why we had so many great comebacks !

Redfrog

The scary thing is to have unrealistic expectations like to play world class football every minute of every game of the season.
It really looks like it to me. The moaners are complaining because it is not perfect. Well, perfection is kind of impossible.
But moaners will moan even if we win the quadruple every year.

Flexdegea

I am going to against the grain here and I can honestly say the performance like many others this season was dog shi**e .

Yes I am glad they won and I appreciate you cant play well every game and history of bygone seasons etc but at least take your rose tinted glasses off.

The first half display was abysmal, we had one touch in the West Ham penalty box in the first half, this being when Martial cut across the very edge of the box to shoot which was saved. (35 MINS)

The passing was the worst I have ever seen from a premier league team since its inception. I would love to see a stat of how many times passes went astray, poorly executed or if they find a player they mis controlled the pass and lost possession, and on many occasions these were simple passes . I am sure the passing accuracy if you discount all the tiny passes sideways and backwards bit like the chuckle brothers " to me to you " between the back four and midfield of anything over 10 yards the % would be very low

Defending at times was laughable and with any right thinking/decent attack or on another day there could have been no complaints if it had been 3 or 4 nil at H/T

The movement and shape of the team and tactics were again very poor, slow and ponderous.

I had just calmed down when Ole gave his I/V and claimed that they had controlled the game in the first half despite some of the difficulties. He must have been watching strictly or something on his monitor cos he sure wasn't seeing what I and many others were seeing

I love these posts. Who said parody was dead

lex talionis

The idea that Southampton and West Ham can just be easily dispatched by teams is mental. They’re really good teams. West Ham did better against Liverpool than they did against us. Southampton drew with Chelsea.

They’re good teams. If you expect your club to not struggle against these clubs you’re asking too much.
Southampton and West Ham have put in some fine performances this season, but I wouldn’t put them in the same category as United as a really good club.

Not entirely arbitrarily, I put the following clubs in these categories:

Elite
Liverpool
City

Really Good
Spurs
Chelsea
United
Leicester

Good
Everton
Wolves

Decent
Southampton
West Ham
Palace
Villa
Leeds

(Not sure what to do with Arsenal. Decent or horrific?)

The obvious objection to my arbitrary categories is the league table, which after 11 of 38 matches shows West Ham and Southampton in 7th and 8th, respectively. My response to that is that both clubs have flattered to deceive to date and that it’s highly unlikely either will qualify for a Europa League spot next season. I’m not trying to be difficult, but in my judgment we should always beat, apart from the occasional banana peel, clubs which are not in Europe. If we can no longer expect to dispatch clubs like Southampton amd West Ham, we have fallen too far.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
1. In the calendar year of 2020 we have a better record than Liverpool. Which is pretty impressive considering they got 100 points in the league two season in a row
2. We create and score a lot more. Right now we are about 2.2 GPG which is the highest number post Ferguson
3. We are the comeback kings this season. Instead of letting heads drop like they used to, we now fight our way back and secure the win.
4. At the start of 2018/19 about half the caf thought we were going to end up in top 4 (and the ones having us first were just taking the piss i bet). And the general consensus was that we were still a couple of key signings away (i.e the dreaded rebuild). While now top 4 is seen as a banged on recruitment. That means the bar is raised which also means progress

Do you honestly think we are just making it up as we go along? Zero plan and instructions, the players are just sent out there with a pat on the back and a thumbs up? If Ole really was that much of a clueless bastard as you would have it. Dont you think the players or someone, at the club would have found out by now and ousted him?

Van Gaal had a very visible style, but that did not translate to good results or even good football.
OK, I am not going to pretend you cannot make the argument but I'll address some of these in turn.

1. We have more points that Liverpool in 2020 because they'd won the league by March. I think this is a false equivalence, similar to when people said Spuds had the most points over two seasons when LCFC won the title. In theory, numbers are correct but we've yet to win a single trophy.
2. We have better players, it's the way the goals are scored - no distinctive style and generally rely on individual brilliance. Once we get a few injuries, I don't expect to see us coming back like this and it's unsustainable in any case.
3. Although we did something similar under SAF, I remember us pummelling teams until they literally gave up. We do not come back the same way and I feel ( although currently this cannot be proven with facts) that at some point we'll crumble. We rely too much on Bruno and Rashford (but sometimes it's Martial/Greenwood).
4. I don't think top 4 is guaranteed and I was never satisfied with fourth. I'd argue we expect to challenge now because the league is worse and we don't have the two consistent teams in the previous seasons.

I don't think OGS is making it up as he goes along but I don't believe in his plan. As for LvG, I thought he had some great ideas but he was way too negative and I wanted him gone 6 months before he got sacked. Same for Mourinho. Bruno is keeping OGS from the same fate, in my opinion.