How Cringe Is The Liverpool/City Love In

Hammondo

He isn’t far off but I would argue Utd at their best vs Arsenal and then Chelsea at their best was better in quality (and obviously far more needle if that’s what you are after)
Yea that's fair. I think the Chelsea rivalry was a higher quality.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I love the lack of drama. feck all that, mostly interested in the tactical battle on the pitch. The backslapping afterwards is a nice touch, just a game at the end of the day

I also understand that this take is batshit insane considering the level of passion in football.

Hammondo

I love the lack of drama. feck all that, mostly interested in the tactical battle on the pitch. The backslapping afterwards is a nice touch, just a game at the end of the day

I also understand that this take is batshit insane considering the level of passion in football.
Passion and hate are two different things though.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yea that's fair. I think the Chelsea rivalry was a higher quality.
Not for me. Arsenal with Vieira, Petit, Overmars and there rock solid defence for me was Utds greatest challengers. But Jose’s Chelsea not too far off that.

Incredible that we competed against both at such a high level and we’re mostly successful

And now I’m reminiscing. Feck off thread

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
What a strange way to look at things considering Liverpool won the CL recently and City have won several league titles since they won the blood money lottery.

I don't see it as a rivalry though. Just two really good teams guided by great managers with a lot of respect for one another.
It was a bit sarcastic. But from a league perspective, United have finished in the top 2 as many times as Liverpool since SAF retired. Says it all really.

Some play down the United/Arsenal rivalry due to the number of PL titles Arsenal won. But at least both teams were in the top 2 for 5/6 consecutive seasons.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
It’s an utterly pathetic rivalry, the reason why they love each other so much and are best mates is because there is no genuine passion to beat one another.

Football is beautiful and incredible for the real life stories, passion and expression. City came out of nowhere as a pet project for a disgusting oil state and have been scrambling a round to buy all of that but all they have is a fake rivalry with our traditional rivals, it’s crap and incredibly boring.

The Irish Connection

i don’t know about cringe but the general playing along with and peddling of city’s propagation machine by sky is genuinely disturbing.

Tyrion

Not even a rivalry at all to me.

Laughable how so many are peddling the idea it's the best Prem rivalry ever.
I'm convinced most football journalists don't remember more than one season at a time. They're like a hardrive that has 1 years worth of storage and deletes the oldest files when it's full.

Tyrion

:lol:

Didn’t you turn on the sprinklers when he won with Inter

The more bitter the rivalry the better imo.
That sprinkler thing is possibly the pettiest thing I can remember a club doing. It was hilarious and does make me see their current problems as a source of comedy.

United in sin

It was a bit sarcastic. But from a league perspective, United have finished in the top 2 as many times as Liverpool since SAF retired. Says it all really.

Some play down the United/Arsenal rivalry due to the number of PL titles Arsenal won. But at least both teams were in the top 2 for 5/6 consecutive seasons.
I do agree that the promotion is way over the top. It's far from the greatest rivalry ever. For from it. The media have nothing else to hype. Even Liverpool-united and the city derby games are tame now and very imbalanced but the media still attempt to get fans up for them in the build up.

Long gone are the days of fiery derbies and big club matches in the league. The London club matchups still have some of the passion of old but still

It's deliberate mind games by Pep and has been for a while after he realised one of Klopps strengths in his career was to collectively motivate his team in a Fergie-esque manner to go and fight for every ball, and Klopp has been sucked into it completely. In the recent games Liverpool hasn't shown that relentless mentality like they did during their cl runs for example while playing City and a lot of it is due how pep has not allowed this duel to turn into a heated contest which is what favours Klopp and fires him up and brings out his best. Pep doesn't give a shit about anything except winning and taking out every opponent strength.
That’s a really great point and makes a lot of sense actually. The early meetings between the two at their current clubs were much more hostile and aggressive with Klopp coming out on top in the big games.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The two best managers in the league with the two best teams in the league. Thats all there is to it.

If you want to see real rivalry come to Glasgow on an Old Firm weekend.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It's the 21st century snowflake rivalry. I bet they all had dinner together after the match.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You do know that saf invited jose for a wine after our match dont you? And they've been sharing wine on more than one occasion.

Gotta love the caf. Internet tough guys.

Neighbour partying? Brings a knife to their door.

Tavern in the town

The definition of rivalry is competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field, so Liverpool vs City is obviously a rivalry and the insistence that it isn’t is a little strange. I’m afraid some of you need to come to terms with the fact that football is never going back to your “when men were men” fantasy.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
They played better quality football than United-Arsenal

padr81

Supports
Man City
Arsenal have won double the European titles that city have won. As well as being runners up in three European finals over the last 20 odd years.

Why are you comparing tennis to football rivalries? May as well compare it to Steve Jobs v Bill Gates.

Go and tell Rangers and Celtic fans what a proper rivalry is while you’re at it.
I actually forgot about Arsenals Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, my bad.

So a football rivalry has to be different? What nonsense. Theres a golf rivalry in there and a snooker one. The idea that the participants have to be cnuts to make a rivalry is nonsense.

The hostile Celtic and Rangers fans are dicks, full of hatred over religion. In fact their rivalry is more religion that football. The world would be better off if both clubs fecked off that nonsense or if they won't themselves into non-existence and I say that as an English son to an Irishman who had to move home to Ireland in the mid 80's because things became so uncomfortable for my father. Using sport to push hatred is disgusting and yes I say that with a straight face even as a supporter of a sport washing club. Basically Celtic and Rangers should take their hatred and feck it off back to the century where it belongs if they want to stay relevant.

Sport should be built on respect not toxic cnuts, its this attitude that leads to supporters throwing shit at buses, anti-Untied fans making sick aeroplane gestures and people getting beaten up and stabbed and shit. Football needs to bin off the dinosaurs.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
You can’t go comparing team sport rivalries to individual sport. Individual sport athletes have to travel and practice together and often make friends for this reason, although of course there are some rivalries of course.

Team sports are totally different in mentality.
And you think Bernardo Silva, Cancelo and Jota don't? Or Walker, Sterling, Henderson, Stones, Foden and TAA? Or Fabinho, Allisson, Jesus and Fernandinho? They are literally teammates at international level, if anything they are likely closer than individual athletes. Weird take to be honest the idea that Federer and Nadal would be closer and friendlier than Sterling and TAA or Foden and Greenwood etc..

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm convinced most football journalists don't remember more than one season at a time. They're like a hardrive that has 1 years worth of storage and deletes the oldest files when it's full.
They can't sell history.

They want to sell papers, have people watch their tv and click on their links. They do that with the here and now, not the past. Even United fans here saying Arsenal was your greatest rivalry. Liverpool have and always will be your biggest rivals because you are both clear and away the biggest clubs in English history and will remain to be.

But the PL can't sell that at the minute nor can Sky. They can only sell the here and now. If you guys were at the top and Liverpool struggling according to Sky the Manchester Derby would be the biggest rivalry. If Bolton and Tranmere were at the top for a couple of seasons Sky and the PL would find a reason to say that's the biggest rivalry.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I dislike how neutered football has become, it's all a bit "high society" - one step away from watching Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos play bowls on a quiet Sunday morning before strolling off for some afternoon tea with their wives.

"Oh jolly well played good sir".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's face it. Anything PL related needs to be hyped as the "best ever" for marketing reasons. It doesn't come close to Arsenal vs Manchester United and Real Madrid vs Barcelona. They're very good teams but people go overboard given the PL has seen some 2 titles races in the last decade. There's nothing between the teams either. Arsenal vs United was palpable, unbelievably intense.

amolbhatia50k

But you love everything about our rivals :D

Devil’s Trident

A rivalry without the edginess, the drama, the mind games, the conundrum, the boiling point is not a rivalry. Posters who are saying they only prefer football and only football either don’t understand rivalry or haven’t truly experienced it. Football is tribal. That what makes it unique and that what makes it so engaging. I remember completely shitting myself the whole week prior to our games against Arsenal. And people won’t prefer that. Bloody hell. Bear hugging, Adrenaline lacking pussios. Go watch Golf.

amolbhatia50k

A rivalry without the edginess, the drama, the mind games, the conundrum, the boiling point is not a rivalry. Posters who are saying they only prefer football and only football either don’t understand rivalry or haven’t truly experienced it. Football is tribal. That what makes it unique and that what makes it so close to our hearts. I remember completely shitting myself the whole week prior to our games against Arsenal. And people won’t prefer that. Bloody hell. Bear hugging, Adrenaline lacking pussios. Go watch Golf.
Yeah for me the one with Arsenal is unique because it was both wonderful football and incredibly intense / drama filled. Chelsea and City rivalries were good but they lacked that iconic tension between both parties and sets of fans.

And like I said the football was glorious. Our 2-2 at Highbury in 2002 remains the best match of football I've seen. The football Arsenal were playing at the time was frighteningly good.

Fridge chutney

Let's face it. Anything PL related needs to be hyped as the "best ever" for marketing reasons. It doesn't come close to Arsenal vs Manchester United and Real Madrid vs Barcelona. They're very good teams but people go overboard given the PL has seen some 2 titles races in the last decade. There's nothing between the teams either. Arsenal vs United was palpable, unbelievably intense.
Spot on.

Chripper

The Rangers Celtic rivalry has been terrible. Good example of why things needed to change.
Rangers and Celtic aren't rivals.

Take it from someone who lives and who has grown up in the west of Scotland.

From the outside looking in, yes, they look like they hate each other's guts, but that's only the fans. The clubs are in bed together.

They have bled Scottish football dry, by arming ignorant fools with the weapon of bigotry.... or by arming bigots with the weapon if ignorance. Either way, they are one entity.

Celtic even re-hired Lennon and put obstacles in his way so that they wouldn't upset their "rivals" by crossing the 9 in a row threshold.

Anyway.

Growing up, the SAF's Manchester United and Arsene Wenger's Arsenal was the epitome of a rivalry.

I mean, "pizzagate". A flying slice of pizza trumps any othe faux rivalry, in my book.

Last edited:

Devil’s Trident

Yeah for me the one with Arsenal is unique because it was both wonderful football and incredibly intense / drama filled. Chelsea and City rivalries were good but they lacked that iconic tension between both parties and sets of fans.

And like I said the football was glorious. Our 2-2 at Highbury in 2002 remains the best match of football I've seen. The football Arsenal were playing at the time was frighteningly good.
Yeah the Arsenal one truly stands out. The 2-2, 4-2 at Highbury were just amazing especially because it was Highbury, so tight, small you could just feel it. The emotion, the bitterness, it was simmering.

Remember watching on Espn starsports back then glued to the tv and raging when those cnuts assaulted Van Nistelrooy at OT. Every game everything was just a chapter in itself. Nothing is touching that.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The definition of rivalry is competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field, so Liverpool vs City is obviously a rivalry and the insistence that it isn’t is a little strange. I’m afraid some of you need to come to terms with the fact that football is never going back to your “when men were men” fantasy.
Nah. All it takes is a coach who is toxic like a Mourinho or a personality like Ferguson with great teams to spark a rivalry. Pep and Klopp aren’t like that. Why would they be at this stage. Seems kind of childish in this day and age of crap going on in the world. Anyway if united could ever get their act together Liverpool will welcome them back as rivals that actually compete. Only the fans are keeping the rivalry going between united and Liverpool.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Nah. All it takes is a coach who is toxic like a Mourinho or a personality like Ferguson with great teams to spark a rivalry. Pep and Klopp aren’t like that. Why would they be at this stage. Seems kind of childish in this day and age of crap going on in the world. Anyway if united could ever get their act together Liverpool will welcome them back as rivals that actually compete. Only the fans are keeping the rivalry going between united and Liverpool.
The funny thing is those two licked eachothers arses even more than Pep and Klopp do.

Which is a shame because those two at war would have trumped all I think. It's almost as if both realised the other could match them blow for blow and thought feck that.

kthanksbye

It's not cringe, I think it's just a different era of footballers where players look at each other as people doing their jobs before being rivals, have respect for each other for how good they are, and how much they push each other, and aren't afraid to express it after the game is over.
Rivalry doesn't have to be kicking and punching each other. This is a healthy rivalry and there's nothing wrong with it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
They are not just the best managers of the Premier League -

They are easily the best managers in the Whole World of football; so I think they have a respect towards each other that maybe is felt by the players too.

norm87cro

Football wise it's a rivalry. Two of the best teams in the country playing brilliant football. Tradition/history wise the Dippers have all the proper stuff to have a rivalry with us (lets say us for the obvious reasons) if our teams/players/managers were not worlds apart quality wise.
In both teams histories there hasn't been a single decade that the both clubs exceled in. If such a decade should occur I guarantee fireworks

Thiagoal

I mean.. City and Liverpool have zero history as City are just a plastic club with none. It’s a bit like if we were challenging for the league with Brighton- it’s hard to make up hate.

The thing that is winding me up is the commentators and pundits pondering if these two teams are the greatest to ever play in English football. Really insulting to United and the machines that SAF built!

Drainy

In 20 years, which rivalry is going to make a better docuseries?

This rivalry is a bit sterile and plastic.

Arsenal and Manchester United had everything.

amolbhatia50k

Yes, because the world was wonderful in the past.