How do Barcelona rebuild?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Barca moving Vidal, Suarez and Rakitic for free. Damn. So basically Messi's their only player they can sell, right now? Coutinho, Dembele or Griezmann would only leave on loan, I guess.
Just getting Vidal, Suarez, and rakitic wages off the books is helpful enough. But Suarez and Vidal May still get a transfer fee, the club is working that out

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree with this. Barcelona is relying on Vidal for dynamism in midfield, when Vidal is years beyond his best by date. Wijnaldum is not the greatest player ever but for what Barca needs he's a step in the right direction. If Bartomeu does the deal it will be odd to see Barcelona actually fill a need, rather than just waste money on an uneeded big name.
Signing another 29 or 30 years old midfielder isn't step in the right direction. Koeman might want to build his midfield like his Netherlands team but what's the point keep splashing money on ageing players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Signing another 29 or 30 years old midfielder isn't step in the right direction. Koeman might want to build his midfield like his Netherlands team but what's the point keep splashing money on ageing players.
That's a fair point. I didn't know Wijnaldum was pushing 30. Barca should definitely be looking younger.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Vidal was probably Barca's best midfielder last season (or at least: the midfielder who had the biggest positive impact). He is past his best, but was still able to do the job he was asked to do. I don't see how replacing him with Wijnaldum fixes any of their problems. Wijnaldum is a good player, but nothing special.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good point.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
How do they rebuild?
Well, it helps that whenever one super-talent is done, another one ALWAYS shows up to makes things right.

From Ronaldinho to Messi to Fati, 17 years of super-talents in attack just taking over whenever they need one.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So do they actually have any players left in good form? I look at their squad and i'm so underwhelmed. Yeah if Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann played to their full potential probably so, but they have been underwhelming since moving. And Messi is past his best days.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So do they actually have any players left in good form? I look at their squad and i'm so underwhelmed. Yeah if Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann played to their full potential probably so, but they have been underwhelming since moving. And Messi is past his best days.
They've got very promising youngsters, Fati being the main one. An outstanding prospect. De Jong of course. But they need to rejuvenate the team further. Pjanic was a strange purchase.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Is he any good?
Very rough talent still... Very technical, very fast, very attacking and energetic, much bravoure... However he doesnt always seems to be 'there' and could work on his defensive awareness and concentration... He can become a very good player if he will be able to develop that, but if he doesnt he will be a liability..

Big plus is that he already has a full season experience at Ajax at the age of 19 and also stood his ground in the Champions League.

Fun fact: Raised in The Netherlands, but has an international carreer with the USA (one of his parents was a yankee)

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Very happy with that signing, for a decent fee for once as well haha. Lots of talent, and can be polished a bit over the next year or two.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
"How can Barça rebuild?": They still have a very good starting 11 if the full squad is fit. They had to release Vidal and Suarez not because they wouldn't fit the team, but because they urgently needed to lower the wages bill.

They have to return to their philosophy on the market to buy rough diamonds and mold them into top players that fit their style.

The problem is that they saw their biggest rival wining 3 UCL in a row, and they heavily invested in order to win it once at least, but that politic backfired because it's not their identity to buy galacticos

Needham

They don't. Ex Southampton manager? No Messi soon? They've entered their first slopes of a deep cycle of decline.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They have some very talented young players that they can build a team around for long term. De Jong, Fati and Pedri. And also I heard Araújo and Dest have been very good and highly rated this season. That’s basically potential 5 players sorted out for future long term XI. Another 5 outfield players and they might be looking promising again and just depends whether those young players can be well developed. I think striker is a must in the next transfer window plan since they don’t have a striker, a centre back is also a must and new midfielder to play next to De Jong that offer more defensive attribute.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They have some very talented young players that they can build a team around for long term. De Jong, Fati and Pedri. And also I heard Araújo and Dest have been very good and highly rated this season. That’s basically potential 5 players sorted out for future long term XI. Another 5 outfield players and they might be looking promising again and just depends whether those young players can be well developed. I think striker is a must in the next transfer window plan since they don’t have a striker, a centre back is also a must and new midfielder to play next to De Jong that offer more defensive attribute.
You forgot Puig. I think only Fati is more talented than him. He is like an Iniesta reincarnated.

Murray3007

weird to say but i don't think that can improve till Messi goes, he has far to much power at the club, could really do with the likes of Pique, Bosquets, Alba away as well, wont really take affect till the next president is in and decides on a new manager as well. some exciting young players coming in as well and got De Jong who i think is a top player.

Giggsy13

Tbh, I can’t wait to see them struggle when Messi leaves. They went from being a club that almost every neutral could respect to arguably being even more despised than Madrid.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
weird to say but i don't think that can improve till Messi goes, he has far to much power at the club, could really do with the likes of Pique, Bosquets, Alba away as well, wont really take affect till the next president is in and decides on a new manager as well. some exciting young players coming in as well and got De Jong who i think is a top player.
Its a bit of a double edged sword. They are massively reliant on him, but at the same time i cant imagine hes a positive influence in the dressing room right now

Maybe i've forgotten, but it seems like from 2000 onwards they seamlessly transitioned from one great team to another, both by producing some exceptional talent on their own and by purchasing the very best in the world. This time though, it seems they've hit a couple of snags on the road and the team they field today is significantly weaker than the ones they had 5, 10, 15 and 20 years ago

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Tbh, I can’t wait to see them struggle when Messi leaves. They went from being a club that almost every neutral could respect to arguably being even more despised that Madrid.
Yep, feel exactly the same.

tjb

Its a bit of a double edged sword. They are massively reliant on him, but at the same time i cant imagine hes a positive influence in the dressing room right now

Maybe i've forgotten, but it seems like from 2000 onwards they seamlessly transitioned from one great team to another, both by producing some exceptional talent on their own and by purchasing the very best in the world. This time though, it seems they've hit a couple of snags on the road and the team they field today is significantly weaker than the ones they had 5, 10, 15 and 20 years ago
Essentially what happened to us. The big thing is for a team to never reach that point where a rebuild is necessary. I think that, more than anything else was our mistake. We didn't even try to replace key players when they were getting older ( in the same way Barca have done with their midfield and defence). They are also putting too much faith in youth in the rebuilding process too. We tried this with Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Januzaj, Shaw, Rashford. It doesn't work. You spend too much time waiting for these players to develop if they don't have more reliable players in the team already who have established themselves. Even with Fergie's 96 team, we still had Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Keane, Giggs, Cantona and Cole...8 fully established players. Arsenal also made that mistake from 2006/07 to 2013 and are literally still paying the price for that policy today. The chance that even one player establishes themselves is slim, trying to do this with more than 4 is almost impossible, United got lucky with that group...same with Barca with the Pique, Busquets, Pedro, Messi group.

Matthew84!

I dislike Barcelona so much but to answer the question, get a better manager, like some have said Klopp would be good. Mane or Salah may follow him. Aguero is available at the end of the season,

future2future

You forgot Puig. I think only Fati is more talented than him. He is like an Iniesta reincarnated.
I'm conflicted in the Puig situation: He's massively talented and something happens when he comes in, although sometimes his way of playing suggests something happening more than actual results (the busy way he runs and passes) but this is the third coach in a row that does not trust him to play. You can not say Koeman does not gives youth a chance: Look at Fati, Petri, Dest, Trincao, Araujo en the other CV yesterday so there must be something with Puig that makes all these coaches doubt him.

future2future

I dislike Barcelona so much but to answer the question, get a better manager, like some have said Klopp would be good. Mane or Salah may follow him. Aguero is available at the end of the season,
yesterday they played the best first half in a year. Koeman is a good coach for them, isn't afraid to make difficult choices and wants to implement youth. Difficult thing is they do not have any money to buy a couple players and Messi. I adored him, and he's still important, but that's also the problem. Especially the older guys only pass to him and the squad stopped working, the best games this season were without him. yesterday was an exception.

Murray3007

yeah but once he goes they no they will have to become a team again. think players will step up a bit more as well. yeah ever since they losy Neymar there transfer dealings have been awful, Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann have all struggled to really make the grade and considering the money involved is pretty criminal.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's quite obvious that @Bojan11 is the reason why Barca failed.

He was supposed to be the chosen one but he just wanted to play xbox instead. He's let himself down, Barca down and most importantly he's let me down

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm conflicted in the Puig situation: He's massively talented and something happens when he comes in, although sometimes his way of playing suggests something happening more than actual results (the busy way he runs and passes) but this is the third coach in a row that does not trust him to play. You can not say Koeman does not gives youth a chance: Look at Fati, Petri, Dest, Trincao, Araujo en the other CV yesterday so there must be something with Puig that makes all these coaches doubt him.
Setien played him a lot towards the end of his stint and he always had a big impact. Koeman plays a 4-2-3-1 and there's no position for Puig really since he's an 8, not a 6. It's not really a La Masia style formation. That's a side effect of playing with a 10, usually occupied by Messi, Griezmann or Coutinho.

Falcow

Tbh, I can’t wait to see them struggle when Messi leaves. They went from being a club that almost every neutral could respect to arguably being even more despised than Madrid.
I think they are already struggling. Look at the humiliations in recent seasons in CL V both Pool and Bayern.

Not selling Messi in the summer was a huge mistake in my view. They need him to be gone to rebuild the team, he has too much power in the dressing room and will only ever undermine the manager.

For his own sake to he needs to move but he did try to leave in fairness to him albeit a few seasons too late.

They would have been far better off getting his 50m pa salary off the book and getting 50m transfer fee in for him in the process. They might win La liga with him this season but big deal really, he was never going to be the difference in CL success, so why keep him.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
yeah but once he goes they no they will have to become a team again. think players will step up a bit more as well. yeah ever since they losy Neymar there transfer dealings have been awful, Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann have all struggled to really make the grade and considering the money involved is pretty criminal.
No doubt they have done some pretty bad business the last couple of years. 100 million for Coutinho is mental. Sure hes a good player, but hes not that good. The scousers must have been laughing all the way to the bank

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
They've spent big money on Pjanic, they've spent 120m euros on Griezmann, they've spent 86m on De Jong, 40m on Malcolm, over 100m on Dembele, over 100m on Coutinho. Neither of those players in anyhwere near paying off, neigher of them is even close to showing world class performance.

How on earth selling Messi and investing in more garbage is the solution for some people is beyond me. If they continue with same people running the club once Messi finishes there, they will become midtable team sooner than back to their best.

Not selling Messi in the summer was a huge mistake in my view. They need him to be gone to rebuild the team, he has too much power in the dressing room and will only ever undermine the manager.

Bojan11

It's quite obvious that @Bojan11 is the reason why Barca failed.

He was supposed to be the chosen one but he just wanted to play xbox instead. He's let himself down, Barca down and most importantly he's let me down
I am going to put you down too, if you keep going on Pepsi.

UncleBob

They've spent big money on Pjanic, they've spent 120m euros on Griezmann, they've spent 86m on De Jong, 40m on Malcolm, over 100m on Dembele, over 100m on Coutinho. Neither of those players in anyhwere near paying off, neigher of them is even close to showing world class performance.

How on earth selling Messi and investing in more garbage is the solution for some people is beyond me. If they continue with same people running the club once Messi finishes there, they will become midtable team sooner than back to their best.
Nah, they just balanced the books with Pjanic in and Arthur out

The rest however, correct.

They are in dire need of a president that will offer up some serious cash, as Barcelona don't have much of an economy to continue in the direction they're heading right now.

Falcow

Well they dont have to invest in garbage. Not sure I would class all those players as garbage anyway and one or two of those listed may be better off without messi.

It's gone stale for him there, best for both if they part, in my view.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Well they dont have to invest in garbage. Not sure I would class all those players as garbage anyway and one or two of those listed may be better off without messi.

It's gone stale for him there, best for both if they part, in my view.
They are not garbage, of course, but considering the investment they have showed absolutely nothing. Neither of them would make them better than Messi because he twice the player than any of them.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You guys know they owe wages, yeah? On top of the Camp Nou falling apart. The roof is collapsing.

Josep Dowling

What are the reasons for this? See some strong hate for them these days.
From a United fan perspective beat us in two Champions League finals. But many feel whilst they are a very talented team they have dived to victory in many of their Champions League wins. The semi final at Stamford Bridge being the stand out game. I can think of many games where the leniency of the referees has got them through. Even the 6-1 win against PSG was won by two ridiculous penalty decisions.