How do Barcelona rebuild?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
[Fernando Polo and Shay Lugassi] Barcelona are set to close two shirt sponsorship deals. Spotify will be the main sponsor with a 5 year deal of 340 million. Polkadot will be the sleeve sponsor and pay 100 million for 5 years. The total figure of 85 million per year is the highest in world football.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The turnaround has been incredible since Alemany was appointed.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Even a journalist of marca, perennial hater of Barcelona, made an article praising him and says that he was the best signing.
The only reason I wanted Laporta to win.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
[Fernando Polo and Shay Lugassi] Barcelona are set to close two shirt sponsorship deals. Spotify will be the main sponsor with a 5 year deal of 340 million. Polkadot will be the sleeve sponsor and pay 100 million for 5 years. The total figure of 85 million per year is the highest in world football.
Ignoring the headline numbers whilst wait for official.

Massive loss making tech music streaming company who's stock price is 50% below last year peak and a crypto start up with little revenue but cash to burn ?

May find one or the other is unable to complete the contract...?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm surprised Barcelona fans here aren't more worried about the state of their club. Messi left last summer and I was told here that he was responsible for 30% of their revenues or so. They should be having a financial collapse pretty soon with 30% of that gone, no?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Ignoring the headline numbers whilst wait for official.

Massive loss making tech music streaming company who's stock price is 50% below last year peak and a crypto start up with little revenue but cash to burn ?

May find one or the other is unable to complete the contract...?
I find it hilarious that you think Spotify might collapse in less than 5 years...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I find it hilarious that you think Spotify might collapse in less than 5 years...
How much cash have they got and how quickly are they burning it? Haven't bothered to check honestly, just saw they lost $810m last year.

Undoubtedly there is value in their assets so service will probably continue, that doesn't mean whatever entity Barcelona have signed a contract with will still exist in 5 years... This is similar to what people said about a lot of companies around 2000/01 and it didn't work out too well for quite a lot of them.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
How much cash have they got and how quickly are they burning it? Haven't bothered to check honestly, just saw they lost $810m last year.

Undoubtedly there is value in their assets so service will probably continue, that doesn't mean whatever entity Barcelona have signed a contract with will still exist in 5 years... This is similar to what people said about a lot of companies around 2000/01 and it didn't work out too well for quite a lot of them.
Steam and Spotify will be here by 2027, mark my words. I can't remember how many times Apple and Microsoft were supposed to disappear. Good deal for both barca and spotify.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Aren't you supposed to be losing like £400mill in yearly revenue simply due to Messi not being at the club`?:rolleyes:
We still can’t even sell out a clasico, so yeah, revenue is still way down from ticket sales. Losing Messi absolutely takes a chunk out of Barca’s revenue but just getting out of some crazy debt (and needing a big loan as well mind you) is a step in the right direction.

But Barca ticket sales and attendance for matches will be much worse in the near future than it was when we had Messi

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We still can’t even sell out a clasico, so yeah, revenue is still way down from ticket sales. Losing Messi absolutely takes a chunk out of Barca’s revenue but just getting out of some crazy debt (and needing a big loan as well mind you) is a step in the right direction.

But Barca ticket sales and attendance for matches will be much worse in the near future than it was when we had Messi
I think he will join back in the summer.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Barcelona earned a very high income thanks to tourists, bought expensive tickets and visited the museum (almost €70m year).
The city of Barcelona also generated high income thanks to this tourism.
30.000 FC Barcelona subscribers, have asked for a one-year leave of absence from their seat at the Camp Nou due to Covid, and that while Messi is still at Barcelona.
When there is a certain normality Barcelona will have great income again.

NoPace

I'm surprised Barcelona fans here aren't more worried about the state of their club. Messi left last summer and I was told here that he was responsible for 30% of their revenues or so. They should be having a financial collapse pretty soon with 30% of that gone, no?
I wouldn't be that worried with Gavi, Pedri, Nico, De Jong, Araujo and Ter Stegen as a spine, though they need a CB and Fati being maybe crocked is a brutal loss. But they should be good again in 2-3 years.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I wouldn't be that worried with Gavi, Pedri, Nico, De Jong, Araujo and Ter Stegen as a spine, though they need a CB and Fati being maybe crocked is a brutal loss. But they should be good again in 2-3 years.
"Good" isn't enough for Barcelona, it's one of the biggest clubs in the world, they can't settle for "good" and hope all of their youngsters will become world class players. We see wth Fati that it can go sideways pretty quickly.

Traore, Kessié, Meunier, Morata, that's not how you rebuild Barcelona.

NoPace

"Good" isn't enough for Barcelona, it's one of the biggest clubs in the world, they can't settle for "good" and hope all of their youngsters will become world class players. We see wth Fati that it can go sideways pretty quickly.

Traore, Kessié, Meunier, Morata, that's not how you rebuild Barcelona.
Yeah, the only one that seems logical is Kessie, though Traore might work out as a 1 on 1 winger option, they know what he's about. Meunier and Morata seem insane, unless Morata is just a loan until the summer.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Laporta and co. are doing a spectacular job I think. What they inherited was an absolute mess and they have gotten lots of players to take lesser deals, are signing new sponsorships, reorganizing what they owe and got rid of Messi (whose contract had been allowed to get totally out of control)

Yes, revenue might have taken a bit without him, but they have retained a good spine and have started to add some sensible players to the squad like Ferran.

They will soon be in a position to sign new stars (the likes of those that existed long before Messi) and the fans and those that love the club will have new faces and a new era.

It’s fantastic work so far in an extremely difficult situation, and the speed with which it has all been done is really impressive.

Still quite a bit to do, but it’s been a great job so far.

jetlee

Laporta and co. are doing a spectacular job I think. What they inherited was an absolute mess and they have gotten lots of players to take lesser deals, are signing new sponsorships, reorganizing what they owe and got rid of Messi (whose contract had been allowed to get totally out of control)

Yes, revenue might have taken a bit without him, but they have retained a good spine and have started to add some sensible players to the squad like Ferran.

They will soon be in a position to sign new stars (the likes of those that existed long before Messi) and the fans and those that love the club will have new faces and a new era.

It’s fantastic work so far in an extremely difficult situation, and the speed with which it has all been done is really impressive.

Still quite a bit to do, but it’s been a great job so far.
I'm a bit surprised by a lot of these compliments towards the new board.
As far as I know results are still the metric of how a team is doing and those are not really convincing right now.
Signing a finished Alves and a one trick pony Adama is not cause for optimism, and they can't rely on gifts from City forever (Ferran pay structure, Garcia, Aguero on free).

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah.

Neither results nor gameplay are really there, though I'll cut them some slack for that. Real Madrid weren't very good under Zidane at first either. Signings aren't setting the world on fire either, though Ferran is fairly new.

The short-term signings seem questionable to me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The revenue numbers for Barca always end up being largely irrelevant because no matter how much they make, they just end up spending more. Economically it’s a disaster zone. As soon as their salary cap restriction is lifted, they’ll find a way to spend more than they bring in again.

You can already see they are getting all warmed up to hand out some big five year contracts to ageing or mediocre free agents this summer.

RoyH1

The revenue numbers for Barca always end up being largely irrelevant because no matter how much they make, they just end up spending more. Economically it’s a disaster zone. As soon as their salary cap restriction is lifted, they’ll find a way to spend more than they bring in again.

You can already see they are getting all warmed up to hand out some big five year contracts to ageing or mediocre free agents this summer.
As long as the banks keep lending them money, they'll keep on spending it.

sparx99

Option of a 29mill transfer also and based on what a mess of a club Barca are they will probably pay it
I don't get why they didn't ask for Trincao back. He looks much more talented than Traore.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Option of a 29mill transfer also and based on what a mess of a club Barca are they will probably pay it
Different board, we'll see if Barcelona paid that amount or end up negotiating other amounts. There could be a change with Trincao, Wolves has an option of € 29M.

I'm a bit surprised by a lot of these compliments towards the new board.
As far as I know results are still the metric of how a team is doing and those are not really convincing right now.
Signing a finished Alves and a one trick pony Adama is not cause for optimism, and they can't rely on gifts from City forever (Ferran pay structure, Garcia, Aguero on free).
There is a lot of context to analyze, including a large plague of injuries.
Álves earns the minimum and is talking about the free arrival of Mazraoui and Azpilicueta. We will have to wait for the summer.

For that there is the financial fair play of the Spanish league, to prevent teams from going into debt. The Spanish teams compared to the other Europeans had much fewer losses during the pandemic. And Barcelona will only be able to have debt up to certain limits, otherwise players will not be able to register until they reduce the salary bill as is happening this year.

As long as the banks keep lending them money, they'll keep on spending it.
The same thing I said above.

marktan

The key is to start with great attackers. They have a great talent in Fati, they've signed Ferran and will now get Adama who I think will be good for them given that he'll be playing further forward and some actual finishers.

Real Madrid knew this when they signed Vinicius and co, Bayern knew this when they signed their 50 wide players.

United are one of the only major teams that has a seriously poor set of attackers. Most of ours are converted strikers from the academy that aren't really true technical players that can dribble a man. And our two strikers are old.