How good are we?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Whether or not we win the league this year, I think most of us would agree we've not looked a vintage United side (though we've shown the traditional guts and winning mentality). On the other hand, we've been better than the general consensus suggests - you just don't rack up this many wins if you're 'shit' or 'average'.

But how good are we, potentially?

Goalie: jury can't come in for a while yet, but De Gea's looking at the very least extremely promising, and Lindegaard's an able deputy.

Centre-halves: we have easily the best stable of centre-halves in the league. I'd say we have the best two and four of the best ten, and that's being generous to other teams. Plus Jones who surely will be a top player.

Full-backs: since Evra stopped being the Greatest Player In The History Of The Universe, and with the continuing injury-proneness of the twins, I'd say we're good rather than amazing in this position.

Centre midfield: still weak, for a club in our position.

Wingers: we have three of the five best wingers in the league, plus Ryan Giggs.

Up front: we have the best set of forwards in the league. None of them are as deadly as Aguero, but then Aguero can't run a game like Wayne Rooney.

If we can reinforce the full backs, and finally sort out centre mid (yeah right), is there any reason this can't become one of Fergie's best sides in a couple of seasons?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I honestly believe we can beat Barcelona if we just sign 1 or 2 more players and I mention that team because they are the best right now, thats the level we need to beat and we can do it without doubt.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Potentially we are the best in the world within a few years but we completely deserve to have fallen out the 4 cup competitions we entered.

The top half of the Premier League has been weaker this year than years gone passed, I'm amazed people can't see it.

Skholesy

Results don't lie, we are pretty damn good, at least in the league. We just happen to be more critical of our own team because we are fans, being fans. Typically most other clubs/fans will be jealous of our squad, with exception to liverpool who think their squad is the best, and city, who player for player is probably as good as our team. CM is weak but we've compensated with the rest of the areas plus a great return from Scholesy.

However Europe is a concern, and the way we went out in both the EL and CL was terrible - results don't lie as i said, and going out in a poor CL group and to Bilbao who are not exactly a great team in the EL, speaks volumes of our class in Europe.

I think the OP hit the nail on the head, its the CM that's the problem and until we sort it out we will be shite in Europe and relying on other areas of our team to sort us out in the League. We cannot rely on Scholes and Giggs too much any more...good as they are, they just don't have the legs especially not over 90 minutes.

I'd hope to see them again next season but only from the bench and starting very infrequently.

Relevated

Steady on...
we have already done it on a cold night at stoke. I think this team just needs to mature a bit and understand each other a lot more on the pitch. You could see Young and Rooney have a great understanding at the beginning of the season and its starting to come back but this season we have been torn with injuries so its really hard to judge on paper. Cleverley looks like he will play a huge part next year too. This team can become something great and it would be appropriate for Fergusons United to defeat Barcelona once and for all.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I don't think Giggsy's legs have gone at all. He's consistently shown up in the stats as one of the players who has covered the most ground. If you mean he's not as quick as he was, then sure, but he doesn't need to be with the way his game is now. And, remarkably, he's still not slow by any means.

I'm happy to see either of them starting but I really don't think they should be started in the same side.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I can see another 06/07-type season coming up soon, to be honest, with 7 or 8 players all either stepping up or turning into absolute world-beaters. I'll always remember that season for the way Evra, Scholes, Vidic, Giggs, Ronaldo, Ferdinand et al cemented (or re-cemented in the case of Scholes and Giggs) themselves as absolutely world class players. It happened all at once, and something tells me the same will happen with Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling, Fabio, Rafael, Jones etc...

It will be a fantastic achievement if we win this year given the circumstances, but it's a bit difficult not to get giddy about the potential of this United team. There is a very clear and obvious progression to be seen towards Fergie's next great team, and all it'd require would be for said players to step up, and for us to sign a new central midfielder (probably).

Cina

Get a midfielder or 2 and stop the twins from getting injured so much and we'll be European big guns again in no time.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We're only missing one player and it'd make a world of difference to our side IMO.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
A couple of quality signings and I see no reason why this can't be one of Fergie's greatest teams. The potential is there.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We haven't been brilliant in groups for a long time really in Europe. Had we had Vidic I'm sure we would have been in the semi's, at least in the quarter finals. Our attack was really shit but steadier defending would have earn us more points. It's been hard having new goalkeepers with a rotating defense that was partially inexperienced. Not just that it isn't as good for us, the opposition team gets more confident.

We are that good that it's fair that City and us are the only two teams competing for the title and it's a close race, domestic cups are always random for us and we don't have a great shot at the CL because the Spanish giants are too good this season and probably the next as well. Real probably wins the league and that will only make both teams take a bigger step up or at least try. In 2014 we'll have a great shot. The youngster in our team will be more experienced and our team will be better than it is now. Can't say that for certain of course, just my prediction.

reddevilcanada

I honestly believe we can beat Barcelona if we just sign 1 or 2 more players and I mention that team because they are the best right now, thats the level we need to beat and we can do it without doubt.
Nah.

I don't see how any player(s) we sign will make us at their level. Sure we might be able to beat them in a cup competition if we play out of our skins and get the tactics right and they're having an off night, but even that's unlikely. Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Busquet, Alves, Fabregas - so long as these players continue to operate at levels close to their best, no team in Europe will be able to dominate them. They're just an incredibly amazing bunch of players with incredible understanding and chemistry.

Relevated

we set a clean sheet record in 08-09 season and nearly won it all, it is very important how our defenders come along in the next year(s)

Denis' cuff

fair summary

Considering the horrendous injury list, we've not done too badly and you can see confidence returning to the players by the week. To play as patiently as we did at Blackburn and Swansea for instance. needed a fair bit of self-belief. That has showed through quite a lot and in itself is a great quality to have. Although injuries are part of the game and we can't really expect to be injury free, we're surely due a break from the casualties of the past two years. The twins durability is going to be fairly critical in an otherwise pretty decent area. If Fabio can make a meaningful breakthrough, I can see us rotating Paddy and Fryers could also develop into a decent player there. The old chestnut of the mf still needs strengthening but Fletch and Pogba would be like new signings in a market without value.:smirk: It is feasible that we could carry on improving if the latter two become a fixture in the team but I really don't have much faith in Ando. So, without really spending much, we can, with further development of the younger players become a fair bit stronger and I'm only suggesting this because I don't think we will spend much. A fresh face or two always livens the team up though so you never know - and there's always the possibility that we might not see Fletch or Pogba in the team again. My feeling is that SAF has something lined up for mf but an otherwise quiet summer. Still a bit of a way to go to match Barca but otherwise looking good.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
We are the best team in England, we are a country mile away from Real and Barcelona.

Relevated

Nah.

I don't see how any player(s) we sign will make us at their level. Sure we might be able to beat them in a cup competition if we play out of our skins and get the tactics right and they're having an off night, but even that's unlikely. Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Busquet, Alves, Fabregas - so long as these players continue to operate at levels close to their best, no team in Europe will be able to dominate them. They're just an incredibly amazing bunch of players with incredible understanding and chemistry.
their level is very hard to reach, they have been playing together for years and know each other inside out. we should try to get to a similar level and im not saying we will reach their level or go beyond it because its very unlikely but sometimes in a cup final it only takes 10 seconds to go on a counter attack and score 1 winning goal. Maybe we will do it one day and put our past demons against them to rest. One can dream :drool:

Gazza

If you look at the team we had in 1996/97, we looked fairly pedestrian for most of the season but still won the league. The next season our football was some of the best under Fergie, but we ended up finishing 2nd. The only major change in between the seasons was Eric out for Teddy Sheringham.

I feel the situation now is comparable - this squad is capable of doing much better in other competitions as well as improving in the overall cohesion of the football.

I know people hate talk about transition seasons, but clearly this squad is not at its peak yet and it should be judged with that in mind. With one or two additions, we're looking at a squad capable of getting to another CL final imo. We've done fabulously to be so close to winning the league considering the injuries we've had and Manchester City's record this season.

marcus agrippa

I can see another 06/07-type season coming up soon, to be honest, with 7 or 8 players all either stepping up or turning into absolute world-beaters. I'll always remember that season for the way Evra, Scholes, Vidic, Giggs, Ronaldo, Ferdinand et al cemented (or re-cemented in the case of Scholes and Giggs) themselves as absolutely world class players. It happened all at once, and something tells me the same will happen with Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling, Fabio, Rafael, Jones etc...
06-07 is hands down my favourite season in recent times. The football we played was breathtaking. IMO the 08-09 team was great, but it was more efficient and machine-like. The 06-07 team was more fluid and less predictable in terms of always beating a team with minimal amount of effort. Possibly I'm not making much sense, but it's a feeling I have.

I started off this season with a similar feeling, but injuries to Cleverley and Anderson put paid to that. But I always like the sight of young teams coming into their own. Few better feelings in football.

roseguy64

I'd say we're a year or two off consistently challenging for the top of Europe. We lost a fair bit of experience in the summer and replaced it with youth. The upside of youth is the enthusiasm, energy and drive to improve but then you have the drawbacks of mistakes, inconsistency and the lack of experience in dealing with certain situations. It takes a while for those cons to level off and for players to gel and reach their peak.

In 06-07 the only significant player in was Michael Carrick. Then Henrik Larsson added a bit of veteran quality in the second half of the season. The core of that team had been playing together for a while and the youth was allowed to blossom and eventually showed their quality. Think something similar can be done with the bunch. We're only a couple players and years of the team maturing. Once that happens we'll be regularly a match for the Madrids and Barcas with the right tactics and playing style.

We got a glimpse of that style earlier in the season. If we can do that regularly and sort out the defensive problems it presented we're set for a while.

Treble

In two years Rio will be 36 y.o., Vida, Evra, Carrick, Park -33, Scholes 38, Giggs about 40 etc. Those who think that Smalling and Evans are ready to replace Rio and Vida are probably right. But could they be as good as Rio and Vida? Well, I'm not sure about that. Defensively, we were bad in Europe, particularly against Bilbao. It will take time to sort out our defensive shortcomings.

To put it otherwise, in order to build another great team within 2 years we have to practically build a new defence that has to replace the best defence in the world from the past 3-4 years. Because Rio at 36 and Vida, Evra and Carrick and 33 can't stop Barcelona, the outcome of the game would be a nightmare...

Given the age of our defensive players, I think that the transition is going to last at least 3 years before we have a great team without the current defensive players, Scholes and Giggs.

NoLogo

3 world class players away from Barcas level IMO
Well that and a complete tactical overhaul and I'm not saying we need to adopt a playing style like the one of Barca, I think that just wouldn't suite us but a bit more like Real and Dortmund play.

Pressing + fast and direct attacking once you win the ball high up the field is a great playing style and I would love to see us adopt such a tactical approach.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think Manchester United are the best team in the country: The league table tells no lies. Perhaps we've not been consistent but that's in large part because we haven't been able to field a consistent team due to various factors e.g. injury and also because many of our players are inexperienced at the highest level and have been effected by stage fright at key moments e.g. in Europe.

If you look at the squad as a whole we've lost quite a lot of European and title winning experience. The older generation is thinning out while quite a lot of the replacements have only one the title once or not at all e.g. Smalling and Jones. I saw an article by Red Nev a few weeks ago about how psychological factors can affect a player, particularly in the run in, and we saw a couple of Monday's back against Fulham how fear can almost unravel 60-75 minutes of solid work. Just look at City they've only got a sprinkling of players who've won something and they're cracking up. Winning the title this year would do a lot to kick on our younger players so that when they face pressure situations next season they'll be better equipped.

I still think we have a major hole in our game which is that when under intense pressing our players, by and large, lack the close control and comfort on the ball to respond as well as they should. However, I think that is something that can and will be addressed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's what Madrid thought when they bought Ronaldo, Kaka etc.. 100 signings later..
100 signing later they're leading Barca by 6 points?

Thing is, were better than Madrid when they bought those players. They hadn't made it past the cl quarters in ages at the time. We on the other hand have won our league 4 of the last 5 seasons and made 3 cl final appearances winning one. So were not THAT far away as they initially were. They had to make those signing just to get close.

AttackingFlair

Yeah the point is that it would take a hell of a lot more than 3 signings and also a couple years to get the team to gel with different tactics/style

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We all know where our problems lie and its CM. Until we sort that out, I doubt that anyone can really assess this team.

krazyrobus

Not very good, these players are easily good enough for a mediocre premier league but in Europe that is another story.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We haven't been brilliant in groups for a long time really in Europe. Had we had Vidic I'm sure we would have been in the semi's, at least in the quarter finals. Our attack was really shit but steadier defending would have earn us more points. It's been hard having new goalkeepers with a rotating defense that was partially inexperienced. Not just that it isn't as good for us, the opposition team gets more confident.

We are that good that it's fair that City and us are the only two teams competing for the title and it's a close race, domestic cups are always random for us and we don't have a great shot at the CL because the Spanish giants are too good this season and probably the next as well. Real probably wins the league and that will only make both teams take a bigger step up or at least try. In 2014 we'll have a great shot. The youngster in our team will be more experienced and our team will be better than it is now. Can't say that for certain of course, just my prediction.
Our attack wasn't really shit in CL. We scored three past Basel at home, it should have been enough to win the game. Once we were 2-0 up a side solid defensively wouldn't have let them back in it. Same goes for Benfica at OT, we were 2-1 up and outplayed them but still drew because of horrible defending. You can't be conceding 5 goals at home against Basel and Benfica, scoring 5 is enough.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agree with this. An attacking midfielder who can draw the opposition away from fixating on our wingers would go a long way to unlocking the stubborn sides and a holding player would be ideal.

Munain and Martinez spring to mind.

lysglimt

Scout
There are some obvious flaws in our game

1) Goalkeeper - de Gea is perhaps the best goalkeeper in the world on the line - he is weak on crosses. If he improves just 10% in that area - he is top-class

2) Left back - Evra is good, not brilliant anymore. He is still good enough though

3) Right back - Rafael is good enough if he stays injury-free

4) Central midfield - we are struggling every time we come up against a quick midfielder who is very good on the ball - our midfielders simply can't keep up, and unlike when we had a young Ince or Keane - they can't track back quickly enough to recover the ball.

5) Strikers - take away Rooney and we have a problem still. Welbeck and Hernandez are huge talents, but they have a lot to learn. Hernandez still is nowhere near good enough outside the box - even if he has improved. Welbeck on the other hand is the opposite - he is brilliant with the ball at his feet outside the box, but he is poor inside the box. I have said so before - and I can say it again, of all the attacking players in our side - he is the one I least want one-on-one with the opponents goalkeeper.

But Goalkeeper, Right-back and striker is something I feel will sort itself out with a bit more experience. However - we need to break the bank to get a world-class midfielder in - and fund it by letting Berbatov, Park and Anderson go

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We've been up and down, which sounds like an odd thing to say about a team that's at the top of the League, but it's how it's looked. We've played some of the nicest football I've seen from us in years; we've won some games by dour determination and we've looked poor against teams that we should be able to beat (particularly in midweek games).

I do think it's been a transition year and the only area where that transition is still unclear is in midfield. Between injuries to young players, and older players who can't play two games a week we've never really built up a consistent rhythm there.

One player off from Barca's level? Hmmm, maybe if we were taking Messi off them.