How good is Eddie Howe?

Pintu

So. Two starters. One of them in goals. How is that “too many”?
They don’t have the same quality on the bench… He overperformed massively last year… This season he got hit with the toughest possible UCL group, which probably added to the fatigue/the injuries and cost them points in the league as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They don’t have the same quality on the bench… He overperformed massively last year… This season he got hit with the toughest possible UCL group, which probably added to the fatigue/the injuries and cost them points in the league as well.
That’s all well and good but the “injury crisis” he had to deal with going into today’s game isn’t even close to being an actual crisis. In fact, it’s barely even worth a mention.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He’ll be done by end of January. I noticed TV cameras are showing less of their owners at their games lately, no dressing room visits at full time displaying the club unity.. or a flying visit from “His excellency” sheikh. Usually a start of the beginning of getting rid on the sly.

RVN1991

He made them over perform last season and is now a victim to his own early success since the squad itself isn't that great without even mentioning the injuries they've had. I'd still keep him around if I was running Newcastle.

Mwooyo

He is a high intensity manager with very little tactical acumen...so he can get out coached if the opposition coach makes tactical changes ie see the ac milan game in the CL. I dont think Newcastle owners will wait for him to upgrade those parts of his coaching...but I rate him at Graham potter or Unai levels. Can get a mid table team competing against the big boys but can not last at any of the big boys because they want to win and play attractively all at the same time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Who'd have thought playing every game at 100mph, pressing like demons, celebrating tackles 2 mins into matches, all with European football would result in injuries, physical and mental burnout.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's his Bournemouth spell all over again. He was always going to be a stepping stone for Newcastle. Their owners will want a big name manager next.

always_hoping

As bad as Man United have been this season they still managed to draw and keep a clean sheet against Liverpool in Anfield. Newcastle beaten 4 goals conceded and lucky it wasn't 6 to 8 goals conceded in truth. Media will remain soft and nice to Howe.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Halfway through the season, he looks like he's run his whole squad into the ground.

slored1

One of the worst performances I've ever seen anyone have in the Premier League tonight by Newcastle. Could have been about 10-2 for Pool.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Stats tonight are absolutely damning. Horrific performance.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They look exhausted. They started the game tired and he doesn’t seem to make any changes. Dan Burn against Salah was a disaster.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Could have been a cricket score, so many wasted chances. Dubravka will never have a game like that again, Darwin missed a hatful!

Skills

Snitch
I think it'll tell us a lot about Ashworth if he doesn't have the balls to sack him. I think his times up and he's done as much as he can, now it's time for someone else.

Brighton did ruthlessly sack Hughton and move on to Potter. We'll see if that was the ownerships doing or Ashworth's.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think it'll tell us a lot about Ashworth if he doesn't have the balls to sack him. I think his times up and he's done as much as he can, now it's time for someone else.

Brighton did ruthlessly sack Hughton and move on to Potter. We'll see if that was the ownerships doing or Ashworth's.
I thought that was the job of Paul Barber at Brighton.

RORY65

It always felt like he would be the manager for the initial period of the Saudi ownership but then a bigger name/better manager would come in to try to lead them to the very top. I'm sure they would want to keep Howe to oversee things for a bit longer but that's reliant on them continuing to progress and they've massively regressed this season.

Their January could get very ugly, they've got their local rivals Sunderland in the FA Cup and then City and Villa in the league. If they lose those 3 then Howe may get fired pretty quickly.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
We arrived in the CL spots way too early with massive overachievement, and didn't reinforce as if we intended to stay there. The higher ups clearly are fine with a slower and deliberate build and though this is all obviously disappointing I don't think they're considering sacking at all, barring a massive, massive collapse in the 2nd half of the season.

JTRI

Howe is to Newcastle what Mark Hughes was to city. A safe pair of hands during the new owner transition but will soon be dumped for a ‘big’ name.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Still think he's decent but their players are definitely mid-table. People are jumping on another bandwagon.

He's not a CL-winning manager but Newcastle are miles away from having that kind of squad though.

KeanoMagicHat

Imagine complaining about a result and decisions when you conceded more than 7 xG, absolutely battered and not for the first time this season.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We arrived in the CL spots way too early with massive overachievement, and didn't reinforce as if we intended to stay there. The higher ups clearly are fine with a slower and deliberate build and though this is all obviously disappointing I don't think they're considering sacking at all, barring a massive, massive collapse in the 2nd half of the season.
Your lot looked absolutely knackered tonight. I think it was pools second goal where the midfield couldn’t get back, they jogged back but it wasn’t lazy jogging, it was I’m-too-fecked-to-run jogging.

The rigours and emotion of that European visit along with Injuries have been too much.

I actually like Howe, how’s he viewed by the geordie fans?

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Your lot looked absolutely knackered tonight. I think it was pools second goal where the midfield couldn’t get back, they jogged back but it wasn’t lazy jogging, it was I’m-too-fecked-to-run jogging.

The rigours and emotion of that European visit along with Injuries have been too much.

I actually like Howe, how’s he viewed by the geordie fans?
Still viewed very positively by the vast majority. I'm sure there's some twitter numpties calling for the sack but overall still a lot of good will in the bank from the first 2 seasons.

Most common criticisms are his leaving it late for subs and general reluctance to rotate until his hand has been forced through injury/suspension.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Still viewed very positively by the vast majority. I'm sure there's some twitter numpties calling for the sack but overall still a lot of good will in the bank from the first 2 seasons.

Most common criticisms are his leaving it late for subs and general reluctance to rotate until his hand has been forced through injury/suspension.
Good. I’m in the minority here but I actually like him and from a personal perspective would like him to do well

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In big trouble if he loses the derby to Sunderland.

Possibility as they sacrificed the FA cup last season and lost at Sheff Weds who were in league 1 at the time.

Sunderland up and down but under a decent manager now and will have 40k behind them so could see one of Guimaraes or Joelinthon getting sent off if they get an early yellow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Still think he's decent but their players are definitely mid-table. People are jumping on another bandwagon.

He's not a CL-winning manager but Newcastle are miles away from having that kind of squad though.
It's all about optics for the ownership now.

I was defending Howe a few weeks back but that was when they were still winning at home regularly and floating between 5th-7th.

They lose their next two prem games and will very likely be in bottom half of the league and can't see the Saudi hierarchy liking that one bit whatever the U.K based directors are saying.