How many times will we need to get thrashed to realise Eriksen is not a CM?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Genuinely looks lost. We had a chance for a counter pressing opportunity. He took about four touches, got robbed and Bayern were on the edge of our box within seconds.
He’s fine when we’ve got a lot of the ball and need intelligent possession, but not games like this

berbasloth4

But who else do we have. In a game like that Fred would have been perfect. Father Time has caught Casemiro and eriksen we need unselfish players to do the running and chasing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Love the guy but today is too intense for him
Thing is, a manager is supposed to factor that into deployment. Play him wide or high, or have a contingency through the middle; just stop putting him directly in the line of fire as a 100mph 2-way CM, which he never was in his life, let alone now.

Drizzle

This is why we bought Mount. But because we're cursed he got injured after 2 games.

mu4c_20le

He's brilliant, but looks like a 40 year old Paul Scholes brought out of retirement

Orange Tree

Liability, but also the only one in the team who knows how to pass the ball and build an attack.

Fingers crossed that Amrabat is any decent.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Thing is, a manager is supposed to factor that into deployment. Play him wide or high, or have a contingency through the middle; just stop putting him directly in the line of fire as a 100mph 2-way CM, which he never was in his life, let alone now.
Totally agree, McTominay would have been the better option (albeit shite still)

theatreofdreams777

His defensive side was suspect last year too. Physically he's done. It's suicidal to play with him in a double pivot.

He's playing at walking pace and should only play in league cup games. Can't believe we let Fred go before him.

He's been a liability for a year or two but I don't know who else we play there currently.

Amrabat is injured. Mainoo is injured and unproven. We stupidly let Fred go. McTominay is far worse. I don't even know where Van de Beek is, and Pellestri showed the risk of playing the kids.

Jeffthered

Christian Eriksen is a central midfielder. Always has been. And he's a v good player. He's being exposed in a poorly performing team, the structure around him (nor any of the players...) doesn't bring the best out of him.

Christian Eriksen would be a good addition to many teams. But look at the state of us? Who IS playing well? Who? Where? What position? At least Ericksen tries. And always has tried.

Look at Martial. Look at Antony. Look at Sancho. Look at SMT. Sort them out before having a dig at Christian Eriksen. Some of those players I mentioned have played 300 games for us and they are sh**.

Let's focus on getting things right. And that's on ETH. Let's get our players fit, and see how things look. We're limited, but we are better than this.

Last edited:

Jeffthered

He's been a liability for a year or two but I don't know who else we play there currently.

Amrabat is injured. Mainoo is injured and unproven. We stupidly let Fred go. McTominay is far worse. I don't even know where Van de Beek is, and Pellestri showed the risk of playing the kids.
Fred is sh**.

How can Man Utd fans be regretting selling Fred? I don't get this. Fred would not look out of place in the Championship. Leeds would suit him, and that's no exaggeration.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Erksen didnt start the first 2 games of the season

Hammondo

Trade-offs yeah, I think the team needs time to gel. Ideally Eriksen will be slowly bedded in to the position while also contesting for the AM slot. He currently has a world class DM beside him who also needs time to adapt. Real Madrid's trio was Modric, Kroos and Casemiro, which according to this board's logic will never work because it's defensively lacking.
How is it defensively lacking?

Overhaul FC

Ten Hag has to play Amrabat with Casemiro or he's going to be in deep shit. His idea of an attacking number 8 has already been proven to not work away in the Premier League.

It's also likely to not work away in the Champions League either.

See if he realises and plays Amrabat with Casemiro until we're more solid and winning games. If he doesn't thats on him.

Bwuk

He should be a sub option at 10.

He’s totally finished as a CM.

philippexyz

Both him and Casemiro were stupid, short term signings. Eriksen is done at the top(serious) level. Has no legs, defensively absolutely anonymous. Time for Saudi Arabia.
Same situation with Casemiro as well, but he could maybe stay for one more year as a backup and mentor, good locker room presence(which I believe he is).

Bruno needs to be replaced completely, but that's another story which I'm not going to discuss here.

Essentially, we need to change, revamp our midfield completely in comparison to midfield that we had against Bayern today. I wouldn't mind seeing how Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount midfield would look like, with Hannibal, Casemiro and Bruno as main subs.

There is a so evident need for midfielders that can carry, dribble with the ball at this team and add more physicality(legs).

I call our midfield "hot potato midfield", because everyone treats the ball like it. No one can carry, everyone tries to release it as soon as possible. Almost zero composure.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Amrabat, mainoo or mount were fit then he wouldn't start. Hes 4th choice CM which is about right.

Cassidy

You mean when they scored from our corner and ran through rashford? Yeah. Totally on Eriksen.
No obviously not since that was not them running through midfield

Dominos

This is why we bought Mount. But because we're cursed he got injured after 2 games.
We can't already be forgetting how bad we looked in the games Mount started.

Frankly ETH has signed 4 midfielders since he's been here and the midfield is still absolutely shocking. We have to pray Amrabat somehow turns into one of the best in the league or we're in for a troubling season.

Cassidy

So when did they run through our midfield? We were in total control of the game from minute 3 and their second was from a freekick.
So it only counts if they score?

norm87cro

Another thread bashing the wrong player. I said that giving the guy a 3 year contract wasnt a good idea and he cant really impose himself phisically on the game but thats not his fault. Age and his health issues are. At least he is a professinal unlike some .He is great if a team is sitting back and defending but if a team like Bayern is dominating possesion Eriksen really doesnt have the engine to run at players without possesion.

El Jefe

Crazy this thread was made nearly a year ago and it’s still happening and he’s got even worse. As usual with this place, things that are obvious are meant with such strong resistance but a portion of the caf could see as early as September that Eriksen was no CM. Tbf most said this even in preseason when the idea that he could be deployed as a CM came up.

Not only is he a terrible option in CM against tougher teams but the players he plays alongside in midfield just don’t make sense at all. It’s such an unbalanced midfield where none of them can cover each others flaws.

KeanoMagicHat

I actually think Eriksen has shown he is a very useful player, he is still clearly a very good ball player, something we lack offensively, he's more consistent and less rash with the ball than Fernandes. However, he's played most of his career as an attacking number 10 and doesn't have the energy to provide the cover we need. I'd like to see him play more often as a third midfielder with two more defensive midfielders the other side of him rather than Bruno.

Real Name

He's been solid until last night so another reactionary thread being bumped. We might change the structure though and he'll need a rest imo. Luckily Mount is back and Eriksen wouldn't have played so much anyway if Mount was fit.
I'm not having 'we looked terrible with Mount too'. Its been 2 games and we're yet too see how it functions.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It's not his fault the manager keeps insisting him in deeper positions. A midfield with Eriksen and Fernandes it will lack the necessary offball skills to make it work.

Smores

He's been solid until last night so another reactionary thread being bumped. We might change the structure though and he'll need a rest imo. Luckily Mount is back and Eriksen wouldn't have played so much anyway if Mount was fit.
I'm not having 'we looked terrible with Mount too'. Its been 2 games and we're yet too see how it functions.
Mount might be effective at the secondary press but its a leap to suggest he's the fix to tracking runners and remaining solid in defence. He's never been that kind of player. How about we actually play someone who isn't a converted attacking midfielder in there, crazy idea I know.

We just need to hope Amrabat comes in and performs as at least he actually plays the position. Failing that Mainoo might do a job.

Real Name

Mount might be effective at the secondary press but its a leap to suggest he's the fix to tracking runners and remaining solid in defence. He's never been that kind of player. How about we actually play someone who isn't a converted attacking midfielder in there, crazy idea I know.

We just need to hope Amrabat comes in and performs as at least he actually plays the position. Failing that Mainoo might do a job.
Well agree, Mount might be an option for RW in certain games or a number 10 instead of Bruno.

Big Ray

You’re going to be very disappointed if you think mount is the answer in a two alongside Casemiro. That will most definitely be Amrabat with mount rotating with Bruno as required or playing in a different formation. Bruno is a problem being captain making him undroppable but mount should be rotating with him to give him a rest or when he’s injured. I can see a big role for Mainoo as well rotating among the two at the back.