How many times will we need to get thrashed to realise Eriksen is not a CM?

Vijaylondon

He is supposed to be cover for Fernando's. But all these injuries means Ten Hag doesn't have a choice. McTom just isn't good enough as shown against Brighton. We have a lot of old legs in midfield now, Mount and Amrabat should be the answer....

Only time will tell, need to let them both settle into the system, I think in a few weeks we will get a better feel of the team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We seem be torn between having a limited hard worker in there, like Fred, and a ball playing playmaker like Eriksen who is much weaker at the ugly stuff.

There has to be some mid solution.

Speako

Eriksen was a freeby additon to cover last season's midfield, which I think worked out OK even taken into consideration the amount of games he missed. Casemiro was unbdoubtedly bought with a longer playing playing expectation in mind (And I certainly haven't given up on him yet).

ETH brought in Mount as the new, younger signing in replacement, but he has been fighting for space in the treatment room instead of bedding into to his new team and structures. We also now have Amrabat into the mix. Let's at least get them all fit, and have Eriksen impacting off the bench, to see how things work out.

The only caveat of course, is that Mount was seriously underwhelming in his cameos to date, which does worry the hell out of me.

Gordon Godot

Eriksen was a freeby additon to cover last season's midfield, which I think worked out OK even taken into consideration the amount of games he missed. Casemiro was unbdoubtedly bought with a longer playing playing expectation in mind (And I certainly haven't given up on him yet).

ETH brought in Mount as the new, younger signing in replacement, but he has been fighting for space in the treatment room instead of bedding into to his new team and structures. We also now have Amrabat into the mix. Let's at least get them all fit, and have Eriksen impacting off the bench, to see how things work out.

The only caveat of course, is that Mount was seriously underwhelming in his cameos to date, which does worry the hell out of me.
Mount is not a replacement for Eriksen. They are very different players. Maddison was available for £40m and would have been a huge upgrade. Our recruitment is pathetic

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Mount/Amrabat would likely be ahead of him but obviously they’re injured.

Speako

Mount is not a replacement for Eriksen. They are very different players. Maddison was available for £40m and would have been a huge upgrade. Our recruitment is pathetic
I didn't mean a straight replacement for Eriksen, moreso fresher legs in midfield. But yes, I agree regarding Maddison. I never previously took to him as a personality, but for £40m he'd have almost transformed us. Sigh.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Revisionism is so nice. Everyone called Maddison overrated and shite when he was at Leicester.

arnie_ni

I feel for Eriksen. He's culpable for two goals, the dawdling before being robbed of the ball was criminal - but the penalty decision was really really harsh. Pure homer decision that one. Watching him and Casemiro being churned by musiala is ridiculous though. We have zero legs at all except for some quick lads up front.
That was the same goal

UpWithRivers

He's surprisingly good considering he's an aging 10 playing in the wrong position alongside another aging not very mobile mid and a 10 who gives the ball away all the time. Works fine at home against lesser teams. Problem is when we face a decent midfield. I have no idea what Ten Haag expects to happen. Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno is not going to win against Goretska/Kimmich/Musiala. Injuries are a factor but even with everyone fit where does our midfield rank against the top teams? Miles off.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think even ETH realized he's not a midfielder by now, although I am not sure if Mount is really his "replacement".
Everything we do with midfielders just goes wrong at the minute. All hopes are on the 3 guys not available now.

I also think we shouldn't have sold Fred as he was the perfect squad player for this team (with Casemiro and Bruno playing first fiddle).

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Revisionism is so nice. Everyone called Maddison overrated and shite when he was at Leicester.
He really stood out last season when Leicester were crumbling - I wasn't a fan previously but I was impressed last season and he proved to me that he was actually the real deal and I was wrong. The other issue was around his attitude and behaviour away from the pitch.

I doubt he was anyone's first choice, but when we were told we were looking to sign Mount then it was questioned as to why you would choose him over Maddison.

Lentwood

ETH knows full well Eriksen isn't a "CM" and isn't comfortable in this system, that's why we've bought Amrabat (unavailable) and Mount (injured).

When those two are fit, both will be ahead of Eriksen. I assume Eriksen will become a 30-minute impact player when we need a goal.

astracrazy

"How many more times..."

How many more times do we need to play until Mount and Amrabat aren't injured?

Jeffthered

I think the treatment that some fans are giving Eriksen is really unfair. He is a centre midfielder, but he's not an up-and-down, box-to-box centre midfielder. Look at Odegard at Arsenal, very similar.. Odegard has more energy, naturally, and is surrounded by players with energy, and a clear way of playing. I'm not saying Eriksen is the player he was, of course, but he is still a v good footballer. You can see why he was so effective at Brentford - why? Because that team is built on speed, power, commitment and a clear playing style. Look at how athletic that team is.

Now look at us and make the comparison.

So I just feell we need to show the guy a little more respect. I neither want or expect Ericksen to be some box-to-box midfielder. No way.

gaffs

I think the treatment that some fans are giving Eriksen is really unfair. He is a centre midfielder, but he's not an up-and-down, box-to-box centre midfielder. Look at Odegard at Arsenal, very similar.. Odegard has more energy, naturally, and is surrounded by players with energy, and a clear way of playing. I'm not saying Eriksen is the player he was, of course, but he is still a v good footballer. You can see why he was so effective at Brentford - why? Because that team is built on speed, power, commitment and a clear playing style. Look at how athletic that team is.

So I just feell we need to show the guy a little more respect. I neither want or expect Ericksen to be some box-to-box midfielder. No way.
He was at his best at Inter, Ajax and Spurs when he was playing as a 10. He had legs around him then and wasnt being asked to do so much defensive work.

Hammondo

You didn't watch the game then.

Our 3 goals don't count, presumably? The dodgy penalty was perfectly fine with you, was it?
I feel like you are struggling to follow the conversation, as said before you cannot determine how the game was played from the score.

Also if the ball had hit our opponents hand like it did Eriksen's then fans here would be screaming for a pen, and if we didn't get it it would be a conspiracy.

Hammondo

He is not a central midfielder, hes a 10 put in central midfield.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I feel like you are struggling to follow the conversation, as said before you cannot determine how the game was played from the score.

Also if the ball had hit our opponents hand like it did Eriksen's then fans here would be screaming for a pen, and if we didn't get it it would be a conspiracy.
I wonder why you bother getting up in the morning, you obviously hate your life.

SoCross

He really stood out last season when Leicester were crumbling - I wasn't a fan previously but I was impressed last season and he proved to me that he was actually the real deal and I was wrong. The other issue was around his attitude and behaviour away from the pitch.

I doubt he was anyone's first choice, but when we were told we were looking to sign Mount then it was questioned as to why you would choose him over Maddison.
I think the general sentiment at the time was that Mount’s off the ball game was considerably better than Maddison, with our boy having a far superior work rate.

Jeffthered

He is not a central midfielder, hes a 10 put in central midfield.
Please, please don't start that nonsense with me ok. Who plays 10 for France? Mbappe, an attacking forward; Who plays 10 for Arsenal? Nobody (well Smith-Rowe); Who plays 10 for Citeh? Jack bloomin' Grealish. Salah plays 10 for Egypt but 11 for Liverpool.

Ericksen does not and never has played as an attacker. He's a central midfielder, who pushes forward.

And btw, who plays No 10 for Real Madrid. Luka Modric. I suppose he's also not a central midfielder.

The-Mezzala

Kobbie Mainoo will be his successor got high hopes for lad when he gets back from injury

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Please, please don't start that nonsense with me ok. Who plays 10 for France? Mbappe, an attacking forward; Who plays 10 for Arsenal? Nobody (well Smith-Rowe); Who plays 10 for Citeh? Jack bloomin' Grealish. Salah plays 10 for Egypt but 11 for Liverpool.

Ericksen does not and never has played as an attacker. He's a central midfielder, who pushes forward.

And btw, who plays No 10 for Real Madrid. Luka Modric. I suppose he's also not a central midfielder.
What?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

:lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've been praising him for years. Even back when he was at Norwich. The problem was, like with Grealish, he hadn't played at the top level so people wrote him off compared to Donny/Sancho/Mount who all had.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Maddison would have been competing with Bruno. He is an attacking midfielder, making it a waste on a restricted budget.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

Do you mean wearing the number 10 jersey or playing attacking mid?

gaffs

ETH knows full well Eriksen isn't a "CM" and isn't comfortable in this system, that's why we've bought Amrabat (unavailable) and Mount (injured).

When those two are fit, both will be ahead of Eriksen. I assume Eriksen will become a 30-minute impact player when we need a goal.
Yet he would rather play Eriksen than give a young player like Hannibal a go.

Casemiro and Eriksen were never going to be able to cope with Musiala running at them.

Same for the Brighton game. Would rather play a 442 diamond, which we have never played before, than simply trust Pallestri or Garnacho to play on the right.

He doesnt seem to trust young players.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Sometimes when you see our recruitments you can't help but feel are these guys some sort oppo fans hell bent of destroying the club from within slowly? Because you can't be this pathetic time and time again even if you tried. There has to be some kinda mechanisms or professional panels who sits down daily and thinking how to destroy the club and gets things done accordingly. Nothing else explains all this.

gaffs

You talking shirt numbers or positions? :annoyed:

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
Yet he would rather play Eriksen than give a young player like Hannibal a go.

Casemiro and Eriksen were never going to be able to cope with Musiala running at them.

Same for the Brighton game. Would rather play a 442 diamond, which we have never played before, than simply trust Pallestri or Garnacho to play on the right.

He doesnt seem to trust young players.
Every under-crisis manager after fergie refuse to play the youngster even though the fans, staff and himself know which veterans are the problem. Only LvG had the gut to play the youngsters in his first season when he is under crisis during the mid season and eventually getting top 4 by the end.

Eriksen is goat in his prime but he is a AM NOT CM! Starting from Tottenham he keep losing his man in the middle of the park and eventually being conceded. we can not ask a player with pacemaker to play weeks in week out and track every single ball back.

gaffs

I've been praising him for years. Even back when he was at Norwich. The problem was, like with Grealish, he hadn't played at the top level so people wrote him off compared to Donny/Sancho/Mount who all had.
We were never going to sign Maddison. He is a top player, but we dont need another Bruno.

Mount is far more dynamic. If he gets back to his Chelsea 19/20/21 form, he will be one of our best players and he will be able to slot into a number of possitions.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We were never going to sign Maddison. He is a top player, but we dont need another Bruno.

Mount is far more dynamic. If he gets back to his Chelsea 19/20/21 form, he will be one of our best players and he will be able to slot into a number of possitions.
I completely disagree. I've never rated Mount. He can play in all the positions he wants but it doesn't matter if he's rubbish in them all.

Maddison isn't another Bruno. Not only is he better, he can play deeper because he's press resistant. Something Bruno isn't. Same with Mount.

gaffs

I completely disagree. I've never rated Mount. He can play in all the positions he wants but it doesn't matter if he's rubbish in them all.

Maddison isn't another Bruno. Not only is he better, he can play deeper because he's press resistant. Something Bruno isn't. Same with Mount.
He is clearly not "rubbish".

Ten Hag was never going to sign Madison and play him in the same team as Bruno. It is such a mute point.

gaffs

Every under-crisis manager after fergie refuse to play the youngster even though the fans, staff and himself know which veterans are the problem. Only LvG had the gut to play the youngsters in his first season when he is under crisis during the mid season and eventually getting top 4 by the end.

Eriksen is goat in his prime but he is a AM NOT CM! Starting from Tottenham he keep losing his man in the middle of the park and eventually being conceded. we can not ask a player with pacemaker to play weeks in week out and track every single ball back.
Well, if he continues with it, he will be fired. You cant keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Agree. Eriksen is getting ran all over. He doesn't have the legs to play the position he is being asked to play.

He wasn't relied on to perform defensive work at Spurs, Ajax and Inter, so why does ETH expect him to have the ability to do it now, at 31?

Casemiro needs support, but not from someone even slower than him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He is clearly not "rubbish".

Ten Hag was never going to sign Madison and play him in the same team as Bruno. It is such a mute point.
To each their own. I've been saying Mount is rubbish for many, many years. It was bad enough seeing Southgate pick him over Grealish and Maddison.

I didn't think ten Hag would do that but, then again, I didn't think he'd do that with Mount either. Maddison has the attributes that, one, we're in dire need of, and, two, that would allow him to perform said role at least. Mount does not.

mav_9me

"How many more times..."

How many more times do we need to play until Mount and Amrabat aren't injured?
Why would we persist with Eriksen when Mejbri is available. Even if Mejbri is not good enough to create anything or score etc, just the fact that the opposition players won't run around him as if he isn't there should make a huuuuge difference no?